Virtue Feed & Grain
106 S. Union St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Virtue Feed & Grain
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://virtuefeedgrain.com/
- Phone: (571) 970-3669
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday 11:30am-12:00am, Friday 11:30am-1:00am, Saturday 11:00am-1:00am, Sunday 11:00am-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Santiago Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Private Parties, Stunning Weddings & Receptions, Rehearsal Dinners with a view, Cool Cocktail Parties, or Memorable Meetings ~ Virtue has you covered!
We have everything you need to make a fabulous impression with your guests: fantastic hors d’oeuvres, great drinks, delicious food, a beautiful space, friendly staff, and a terrific atmosphere!
Let us know how we can help with your next event!
- Cross Street: King St.
- Public Transit: King Street Metro
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are 3 parking garages on South Union St. within 2 blocks of the restaurant: Republic Parking Systems, Central Parking Systems, and Parking Solo.
Free 2 hour parking is also available along many of the streets parallel to S. Union St.
For PM Service Wednesday thru Sunday- Altman Parking next door offers a reduced rate. Park, pay $7 and then bring a stamped receipt to receive $3 back.
A word from Virtue Feed & Grain
Virtue is a modern American tavern located near the Potomac River in Old Town, Alexandria. Our menu offers an array of farm-fresh food and refreshing cocktails to please your tastebuds, and a vibrant atmosphere to make for an enjoyable dining experience at any time of day! Housed in a historic feed & grain warehouse from the late 1800s, Virtue's stunning rustic modern decor is sure to impress.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Virtue Feed & Grain - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Virtue Feed & Grain reviews from OpenTable diners
248 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (119)fit for foodies (114)good for groups (102)great for outdoor dining (102)hot spot (91)vibrant bar scene (90)great for lunch (66)special occasion (58)great for brunch (50)romantic (47)scenic view (37)notable wine list (28)kid-friendly (26)late-night find (25)Show More
- Poor Service leads to Poor FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2013At the beginning, the host was very accommodating with our request for an aisle table since we had a baby stroller. Once seated, our waitress didn't ask for our drinks, appetizers or entree orders. She only responded to a table if they yelled "waitress". When we did get her attention, she looked elsewhere, not at us. No straws, utensils, plates or napkins were given to us, so we had nothing to eat with or on when our appetizers came. Only after did we finish our appetizers did the waitress realize and bring us utensils/plates. When the entrees came, the food was completely cold, and again, no utensils given. We called for the waitress' attention, with no luck. The only time we were able to get her attention was when we called for the check.
- lunch on the patioRubyDined on 7/25/2013The patio is a fun, inviting place. The food is good and the service is friendly. Put simply, a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost a perfect score!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2013The only thing holding me back on a 5 out of 5 was the Risotto entre. The portion was of an appetiser / lite bite ... not an entre, which was a shame because it was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, a little noisyArlingtonDinerVIPDined on 7/21/2013Two of us went on a Sunday night, and, although it wasn't very crowded, the restaurant was a bit noisy. I commented to my husband that conversation might be difficult for a large group. The server was attentive and helpful with recommendations, and we enjoyed our food. Wine by the glass was a generous pour, which is not the case at all restaurants.Special Features:
- Creative and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/21/2013Food was delicious and service was great. Our only complaint was the noise level. It was so loud it was difficult to enjoy any conversation. We'll definitely be back though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid brunch and good menuWMColmes14VIPDined on 7/21/2013enjoyed it here...have been for dinner and liked the creative twist on a very rustic local menu. Heard Cathal Armstrong is no longer associated, but still a good place. like the very simple yet sturdy decor, it looks like an old storage house. had Caviar & Smoked Salmon with potato cakes, green onions, sour cream, and sturgeon caviar. Light fresh and filling. Good cocktail menu,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drink menuAndrewDined on 7/21/2013I do really like this place but unfortunately my food came out cold. It was still tasty though.Special Features:
- 3 out of 4MandersDined on 7/21/2013Out party of four was first seated at a table with upholstered benches which were far to low for the table. We asked to move to a table with chairs which was no problem. The menu options were great EXCEPT there was not a single vegan option. We asked for a fruit plate as an option and we got a tiny fruit cup. When we asked again the server simply brought out another tiny serving of fruit. Oh vegan diner was not impressed! Otherwise the food was quite good. My favorite thing here: THE ICE CUBES! Sounds crazy but it's the best ice ever and the cocktails are fabulous!lSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than impressedlaurbcVIPDined on 7/20/2013We had an 8:00 reservation on a Saturday night which the hostess called to confirm several days in advance. During that call, she made it very clear that if we were more than 15 minutes late, we would not be able to have our table. We arrived early and then had to wait about 25 minutes for our table. Once seated upstairs, it was extremely loud, impossible to hear the other people in our party, and the service was poor. Our waitress confused our orders on 2 separate occasions. The food, which in our previous visits was good, was this time mediocre at best. The new menu left much to be desired. After several visits to this restaurant, we will not be returning.
- Great Place but Lousy ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2013We love thie idea of this restaurant and the food is good. Service was not the greatest and timing from kitchen was sometimes slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2013Virtue has a wonderful menu, and everything has a good taste, but sometimes it gets very crowded and loud especially in the downstairs dining area. Luckily we went on a weeknight relatively early, so it wasn't a problem this time. Instead, we had a waitress who was not very attentive,even when we were trying to catch her attention to pay our bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to Table "Great Find"LuvfoodieDined on 7/14/2013My Husband and I were visiting my brother in Alexandria. My brother took us to this wonderful farm to table restaurant. The food was fresh, healthy and flavorful. The service was excellent! I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Alexandria, VA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We tried Virtue for the 1stOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/13/2013We tried Virtue for the 1st time Sat. The food was good. However, it's hard to even remember the food because of the restaurant's the ambience. It was loud. VERY loud. The noise is the 1st thing you notice. We were relieved when the hostess took us upstairs, thinking that would be quieter. Wrong. We were seated at a 2 person high top, pulled our stools next to each other, & still weren't able to hear one another. Additionally, service was spotty. Took 15 minutes to get our beers- no glasses given. We had to take our silverware from another table. We ordered dessert & were eating it when a 2nd server brought us a 2nd order. He took it to our table, realized we were already eating it, picked it back up, & walked away without a word. Strange.Special Features:
- just averageTomasVIPDined on 7/13/2013This was my second time having dinner here and I was underwhelmed by the experience. The food was average to poor and the service was slow. It is very difficult to have a conversation given the noise level and, for the price it is not a good value. Its location and decor is great, but the food and service undermine what otherwise could be great place.
- WHAT DID YOU SAY???terrypVIPDined on 7/12/2013Had a thoroughly enjoyable dinner here with some work colleagues...at least, I think that's what they said. This place was deafeningly loud. Also, our server seemed a bit distracted and very rough around the edges. May have been new, but he interrupted conversations, reached across people's faces without so much as saying sorry, and took a while getting us drinks. He was pleasant enough, so again, I'm guessing he was a bit new to this. That said, my meal--burata citrus salad, a sublime poached cod--were exceptional, and my guests raved about the soft-shell crab.
- Staff was new and inexperiencedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2013Staff was new and inexperienced -especially the matre de's. Wine list average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disorganized Service, Meh MenuKknitzDined on 7/10/2013How can a food runner bring you three dishes that you did not order in one dining experience?!? The servers/runners had no clue what tables ordered what food. Unacceptable at any tier of restaurant...get it together. Also, the new menu feels like items I could order at The Cheesecake Factory....only difference is the service at The Cheesecake Factory is much better. Sad.
- A good quick lunchFoodzgoodVIPDined on 7/9/2013Virtue was a great place to have a business lunch. Quick and pleasant service, good food with a good price point. Nice ambiance. Liked especially that I didn't have to shout to have business conversation across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably would not returnJJayDined on 7/6/2013I understand the restaurant is undere new management. Hopefully, they will work out the kinks soon. Food was okay, although the appetizers were overpriced. Ribs were just okay and the fries were dry and hard. Quinoa risotto dish was interesting and tasty. The restaurant was simply too loud. The waiter struggled to hear us and we struggled to hear him. Old town has so many good restaurants to choose from. I have a feeling we will not come back here.Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere. And good goodAMS1231Dined on 7/5/2013Service was great. Attentive without being annoying. Good was good a little surprised that the kitchen refused a request for bacon on sliders.Special Features:
- DisappointingSatisfiedDinerDined on 6/30/2013Our party of 4 arrived for an early Sunday dinner. Wait person announced they were all out of seafood - no tuna, no cod, no mussels - no specials that night either. Since we don't eat red meat that left 1 choice - we all had the chicken. The skin was pale and not at all crispy, so rather bland and disappointing. Worse was the service. Is the B team on duty on Sundays? Our cheerful and polite waitress was also clueless: why remove all forks when clearing the salad plates, then not bring new forks for dinner? We were unable to eat the main course, trying to flag down someone to bring new forks. Each course was randomly put on the table, so we had to swap the plates to get them to the right person. Isn't that the server's job?
- great ambience!JZ23Dined on 6/29/2013unfortunately my crab cakes had many shells in them.....
- More Sparkle than SubstanceFoodieDined on 6/29/2013Brought friends here for lunch. The restaurant was thriving, the noise level off the charts and the service so-so. When the food came, presentation was good but taste was missing, bland. Would only recommend as a bar scene or for large groups.Special Features:
- Great spot to meet friends 4 lunchMmmmgoodDined on 6/29/2013Came in from out of town and met a close friend for a casual lunch. We sat inside, but enjoyed the open-air feel from the large open doors. It was a vibrant crowd, but we were still able to catch up without shouting. We both ordered the fish tacos (it was hard to choose from all the tasty-sounding alternatives on the menu) and thought they were fantastic! Our server was very friendly and helpful. I will be sure to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Bad, But. . .BrianJBDined on 6/27/2013To be honest, we went into this with expectations that were probably too high as a dinner location - on balance, we'd agree with the reviews that say this is a great bar, excellent service, with a healthy beer list. 7:30 on a Thursday was quite loud. . .the food was fine, not great. Crab dip was the best by far; mussels were fine; chicken dinner didn't stand out. The alledged homemade buttermilk dressing on the salad also didn't have much taste we could detect. Service was quite good. . .so on balance, a good place to grab a beer in Old Town. . .can't speak for the rest of the menu, of course.Special Features:
- Virtue not VirtuousEnvelmanVIPDined on 6/22/2013I was disappointed with my first experience at Virtue Feed and Grain. For a restaurant that was touted so highly, I thought the menu was not terrific, the food was slow in coming and the service not existent. Our water was more worried about talking with his friends than seeing to diners needs. I would expect that from some of the other places in Old Town but not this newer place. I marked this one down as one to avoid for now. Maybe they can clean up their act.Special Features:
- Change in MenufrequentcustomerDined on 6/22/2013We have been Virtue customers since the first day they opened and we are usually there once a week. We have held two large private events in their private back room and have sent numerous friends and colleagues to eat there. Much to our surprise, we arrived on Saturday night with out of town guests to show them one of our favorite restaurants, and the menu has completely changed and is horrible to boot. The last thing Old Town needs is another restaurant of only bar food. We desperately miss the deviled eggs and wonderful menu and mixed drinks of the past. We will not go back and we are telling everyone we know in Alexandria to stay away as well.Special Features:
- Turn and BurnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/22/2013My husband and I were looking for a nice dinner with a great experience and good food for our first night away from the baby. While the food was good, the experience was lacking. We were in and out of there in about 45 minutes - not exactly what you expect when going to a place for a nice dinner. We ordered our first course which came out in about 5 minutes. Then we ordered our entrees and salads which was served before our first course was cleared AND came out together (salad and entree). That, in my opinion, is not acceptable. Industry standard is to serve the salad first, unless specified by the customers. In my opinion, the entire time we were there felt like they just wanted us out for the next diners to come in.
- Good food, a little loud, bad seatRDKWASHDined on 6/22/2013Had reservation. Very good food, attentive service, really bad seat next to and facing the kitchen, a lot of wait staff traffic. Bad vibe for our anniversary...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've been several times andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2013I've been several times and have had pleasant experiences, particularly with cocktails and appetizers. This time I brought out of town guests. The food was good, nothing amazing, but our waitress was not very helpful when we asked questions...didn't try to make it pleasurable or memorable just wanted us in and out. Not somewhere I would bring out of towners for the overall dining experience again.
- Great venue for the valueTheCrusherDined on 6/15/2013This place's food is top notch. Food was well prepared and came out looking amazing. Waitstaff was very courteous. Save room for dessert...Special Features:
- New to VirtueChris70Dined on 6/15/2013I was very excited to try Virtue however we tried it on a beautiful Saturday evening and it was packed. Servers were great but we waited 45 min for any food. My only complaint was blaring music in dining area from bar. I would recommend no music. Noisy enough with customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and fun but be prepped to waitLeahVIPDined on 6/15/2013Really vibrant atmosphere but a great menu but every server looked weeded and overwhelmed. Took us almost 3 hours just waiting for food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hectic at Saturday lunchTomGDined on 6/15/2013We've dined here before late night and had great experiences. But at Saturday lunch, our meal was less enjoyable due to the wait time for our reserved table, the high background noise level and slow service despite a very personable and attentive waiter. The kitchen was just overwhelmed by the crowds. We would have had a far better time had we been able to dine al fresco at the few outdoor tables.Special Features:
- No longer virtuousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/11/2013Since the Eve people left, this place is no longer the same. The food has gone downhill dramatically and the service is really poor. Virtue used to be a quality gastro pub and now it is an overpriced Applebees, except Applebees has better French Fries. The restaurant is clearly purchasing lower quality food product and has abandoned the tasty dishes that made this restaurant so great. Not worth going here unless something changes dramatically.
- hip spot near water in AlexandriaOnesarVIPDined on 6/10/2013First time - here by recommendation. Sent to the bar to wait; our daughters were w/ us; Boomer the Bartender was TERRIFIC! She welcomed the girls and served them a fun drink; however, the hostess told us they had to leave the bar area, it was before 8:pm - our wait time was NOT long.... bad start, to a cool place. We were seated in the back, near the kitchen. Server was fun, but seemed to be slammed with a big party when we got there. We enjoyed his enthusiasm & he gave good rec's - beat salad, asparagus w/ goat cheese and fresh herbs excellent. Mussels in thai sauce was tasty but a tad fishy. French fries w/ the child burger were uncooked, reports my daughter. Ran out of a Wines by the glass -- strange happenstance?Special Features:
- Go for the drinksJamesVIPDined on 6/9/2013The only reason to go to this place is for its unique feel. If Restoration Hardware opened a restaurant, this would be it. The menu isn't as exotic as it used to be. The food is avg. Service was ok except she brought our salads and entres at the same time.
- Good for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/9/2013Have been here for lunch twice and dinner twice. It's such a nice place for lunch - good, simple food in a pleasant setting. But, it transforms at dinner time, and not in a good way. The food is fine, but they jack up the music and the meals are good, but overpriced. And, the wait staff don't have the lungs to shout over the music. They need to rethink the ambiance.
- My experience...Luisks19VIPDined on 6/8/2013Outstanding! Food was great! They were out of the special steak with chimichurri sauce, so I have to come back! The only issue was that the appetizer came first and my drinks after, for me I believe that the drinks have to hit the table before any food. The server said something about their busy bar... After this incident everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was so bad. We hadNicoDined on 6/8/2013Service was so bad. We had a reservation and were sat 30 minutes late in the back room upsatirs that was cold abd very isolated from the main part of the restaurant. I complained and we were Given a hightop bar table instead. We had to wait 20 minutes for a bottle of wine that we order. We waited over an hour for food. All the other tables around us got their food before us despite the fact that we order before them. We ended up eating at 10:15 for an 8:30 reservation. Despite our complaints the manager never stopped by our table. We ended up getting the wine taken off our check. The food was ok, but nothing spectacular. Wouldn't go back and wouldn't recommend to others.