Virtue Feed & Grain
106 S. Union St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Virtue Feed & Grain
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://virtuefeedgrain.com/
- Phone: 571-970-3669x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday 11:30am-12:00am, Friday 11:30am-1:00am, Saturday 11:00am-1:00am, Sunday 11:00am-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Santiago Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Cross Street: King St.
- Public Transit: King Street Metro
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are 3 parking garages on South Union St. within 2 blocks of the restaurant: Republic Parking Systems, Central Parking Systems, and Parking Solo.
Free 2 hour parking is also available along many of the streets parallel to S. Union St.
For PM Service Wednesday thru Sunday- Altman Parking next door offers a reduced rate. Park, pay $7 and then bring a stamped receipt to receive $3 back.
A word from Virtue Feed & Grain
Virtue is a modern American tavern located near the Potomac River in Old Town, Alexandria. Our menu offers an array of farm-fresh food and refreshing cocktails to please your tastebuds, and a vibrant atmosphere to make for an enjoyable dining experience at any time of day! Housed in a historic feed & grain warehouse from the late 1800s, Virtue's stunning rustic modern decor is sure to impress.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Virtue Feed & Grain - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Virtue Feed & Grain reviews from OpenTable diners
263 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (123)neighborhood gem (111)fit for foodies (110)good for groups (95)vibrant bar scene (90)hot spot (68)special occasion (65)great for brunch (65)great for lunch (63)romantic (54)scenic view (45)notable wine list (29)kid-friendly (22)late-night find (21)Show More
- GreatjackVIPDined on 8/17/2014We had brunch on A Sunday afternoon and it was good. We had reservation and were seated promptly outside which I had requested. We would go back again.Special Features:
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/17/2014I made a reservation, but waited while the hostess sat two other groups ahead of us (neither of which had reservations). The interior is very cool, but the furniture is impractical. When we were seated, the bench seating could not be pulled out enough to sit; I had to kneel and scoot across the bench and then tuck my knees under. Awkward! The waiter in our section was frazzled. He kept forgetting about us and did not know the menu. I ordered ice tea, which was so watery, it was undrinkable. After hearing the table next to us, and the table behind us complain about the food (raw chicken, burnt chicken), we paid for my drink and left before ordering food.
- Fun in Old TownOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014A great place to enjoy a lively scene! The eco theme of the whole place was carried out well, and it was very comfortable to be there.Special Features:
- Bad Food, Even Worse ServiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/17/2014The food here is poor and extremely overpriced. The service is terrible.
- Reservations a MustNightOutDined on 8/15/2014It was Restaurant Week so it was really busy. Make sure you reserve a table if you don't want to wait. The place is fun but be patient with your wait staff. We had the wrong drinks served repeatedly but it was corrected quickly. It isn't a place to have a serious conversation, it was really loud, like throat hurt when you leave loud.Food was served quickly and was delicious. Perfectly proportioned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014we LOVE this place! We started coming here after a friend recommended it and now we are the ones who recommend it to all our friends. The seating is so fun (we like sitting upstairs in the back so that we can look at the water). The atmosphere is energetic without being chaotic. The nachos are delicious and my favorite entree is the salmon. They always have delicious soups of the day (our favorites so far: broccoli and the garbanzo bean). We will definitely be back again soon. It's a nice place to take guests.Special Features:
- A new favoriteExploringhomeDined on 8/12/2014The atmosphere was so inviting, comfortable and hip at the same time. Upstairs lounge and dining area is one nod a kind. Huge seating lounge area upstairs. But, if not there for the bar scene and appetizers (amazing), head to the back of the resturants for a great view of the water. GorgeousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the chicken nachos!spfriedmanVIPDined on 8/10/2014Loved the chicken nachos as an appetizer to share. They were really unique. Enjoyed the rest of brunch too - solid burgers and chicken and waffles. The house salad was a bit boring - just herbs with a dressing without much flavor. It needed something more substantial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch on the Outdoor Patio!love2eatDined on 8/10/2014Enjoyed a wonderful brunch with friends and sat outside on the patio. Food and service were both very good, and we weren't rushed at all which was an added plus! Have not eaten dinner at Virtue Feed and Grain but plan to do so very soon. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great Serviceprep21Dined on 8/9/2014I went here on SAT for a date and had asked for a special table ahead of time. The house not only took care of us, but they did one better and gave us an even better table than I asked for! Amazing service, so considerate. Highly recommend! Oh, and the food is fantastic also!Special Features:
- Good business dinnersAResidentDined on 8/7/2014I regularly take out of town business associates to Virtue and they never disappoint! Solid meal, Good beer and wine selection...and Tito's. All good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/7/2014A treasure in a Old Town!!! Great for lunch meetings and lunch with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerFoodgirlieDined on 8/5/2014I chose this restaurant because of the great time I had for happy hour. I took my husband for his birthday. What a treat! The food was cooked to perfection and the service was superb. He really enjoyed it. Kudos.Special Features:
- Disappointing FoodJuneBugVIPDined on 8/3/2014Took six for dinner to show four "foodies" from Atlanta Alexandria's restaurant scene ~ impressed with amibence upstairs, able to converse and had a wonderful waitess, who kept drinks flowing and was attentive to needs. Started well with starters and salads. Disappointed when 3 of 6 featured special entrees delivered ice cold ~ returned to kitchen, then arrived lukewarm and didn't taste so great. Asked for bread ~ 2 slices delivered by wait staff for 6 adults. Appreicate the many apologies from waitress when things went wrong. With many other restaurant options in Alexandria, will take some time to return.
- Good food cant fix bad servicePudgyBunnyDined on 8/3/2014I made a reservation here thinking it would be a great place to bring out of town guests. Ive been to happy hour before and thought appetizers were great. But the table service is just aweful, our server was so disinterested in being there. The food (just burgers and salad) about an hour to come out and we literally had to go inside to find her when we needed more water or the check. There are too many other GOOD restaurants in Alexandria to waste time at this one ever again.Special Features:
- Good food but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2014Was really loud downstairs for dinner. Service was great but might want to ask for upstairs seating if you want to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceAbebabeVIPDined on 7/30/2014Excellent waiter who went above and beyond to accomodate my many food allergies. Food was delicious, equisite and allergen free!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBrianDined on 7/29/2014Very disappointing. Fish overcooked to the point of being tough and chewy. Bar service slow and provided incorrect bottle of wine. The correct wine was unavailable and the second choice arrived at the end of our meal. Profuse apologies appreciated but how about comping dessert or offering credit for next time? Decent apps, excellent location, attractive decor not enough to overcome faulty food and poor management. Will not repeat.
- Nice mealjulieringkVIPDined on 7/29/2014The food at Virtue was very good, but the menu was a bit limited. Also don't care for the fact you aren't entitled to a slice of bread when you order an entree...this is a trend I find irksome.Special Features:
- UnusualKbearVIPDined on 7/27/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Virtue. We were seated upon appearing on time for a 730 reservation. We had beers (good selection) and wine (medium selection). We had the white fish ceviche which was very tasty. Some of us had burgers which were not too fat and not too thin, cooked perfectly according to temperature ordered. I had Not your Momma's Chicken Dinner which was NOT fried thank goodness. I also had the wedge salad with blue cheese which I loved. Grits alongside chicken were a bit dry but overall the chicken was juicy and the meal was good. Service was a little frenetic but I can't complain since the server did run out side with my forgotten shopping bags after the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still as good as Day OneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/27/2014I've been dining at Virtue since they opened, and I still enjoy it as much as a I did the first time - and in some areas, they've improved! Cocktails are a little more subtle, more sophisticated. Food is more evenly prepared. LOVE the Hushpuppies at Brunch! Team service ensures that you're taken care of without too much hovering. The space, especially upstairs, is airy, interesting and lends itself to your dining experience. We'd requested outdoor seating, and were originally shown towards the back - it was a warm day and smells from the "alley" area made us ask for the front. Not to mention you can only see the river through various chain link fences and a parking lot. Perhaps they should consider building an elevated deck?Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014We have never been disappointed in Virtue. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Town Hip DiningJocelynDined on 7/26/2014Saturday night at Virtue was loud and lively. Almost too loud for my guest and I. Outside dining would have been quieter. We found the food to be good and well presented but not outstanding - burgers were delicious, salad overdressed and too oily. Based on reputation I expected more healthful options, more dinner salads and more vegetables. The menu was very protein based. I always want to make at least half my plate vegetables and it wasn't possible at Virtue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedOutforfunDined on 7/26/2014I had loved the interior of this place when I'd seen it a few years ago. Very cool vibe. However we went this weekend and ended up eating outside. The weather was great so that was good but overall I just felt like I was eating on the sidewalk with people looking at my food, etc. Lots of people with toddlers and babies so it was not as romantic as I'd hoped. The only real food option to expensive entrees were burgers. No chicken, sandwiches, or even decent sounding salads. I wouldn't say it was bad overall, just not great and not as hip/fun as I'd imagined. Maybe if I'd eaten inside I would have had a better feel for the ambience.Special Features:
- Believe the hype!LisaVIPDined on 7/20/2014This was the best meal I have had all year. Seriously. We started with the deviled eggs and chips with sour cream dip. Fantastic. My friends loved the cocktails so much; they kept ordering different kinds, each one better than the last. I had the chicken and biscuit. This simple meal is easy to mess up. Many chefs over complicate and add dumb elements, when really, people who order it, and just want a chicken and a biscuit. Delicious. I had the C.M.P. and it made my top 5 dessert list of all time. HOLY MOSES! I swear, by the time I was done, I had completely stopped talking and listening to people at my table. It was just me and this ridiculous Sunday. If you go to Woodbury Kitchen, SAVE ROOM FOR DESSERT!!Special Features:
- Yumm!DosMasMargDined on 7/20/2014Had a great Sunday Brunch on the patio. Daniel, our Server, was excellent. The plates are familiar with a modern twist so there is something for everyone! We will be back... And often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceLouieNYDined on 7/19/2014This was our second visit, we went to brunch the first time. This time it was dinner with friends which included an elderly woman. The Maitre D was unbelievably accommodating and made sure she was comfortable. The service was great and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- An Excellent Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014My girlfriend and I had a great dinner at Virtue on Saturday evening. Service provided by Luke was phenomenal. The entrees (skirt steak & pan seared salmon) were delicious. The quinoa salad was an absolute let-down though. I believe that item should be removed from the menu or completely reworked with different ingredients and a more balanced ratio of quinoa to other items in the salad. We ate outside on an unseasonably cool July evening (79 degrees!), which was perfect. The inside of the restaurant was incredibly loud and likely would have been a far less satisfying experience ambience-wise. I'll definitely be going back, but I'll wait for another perfect weather day so I can dine outside again.Special Features:
- First Time and I'll go BackNuts4CoffeeVIPDined on 7/19/2014I've wanted to try Virtue ever since they opened. I made the reservation and it was early dinner on a Saturday night. Actually worked out perfectly as we were able to get the open porch area on the second floor with a view of the river. The menu is just right and offers wonderful choices but I went with the Chef's Seadfood Selection for the evening and it was wonderful. If I had anything to be critical about it was the service. Our waiter was more attentive to the table of young women behind us, he left the dishes on the table long after we were done and only checked on us once during our dinner. When I return he will not be our waiter. Also, food temp was not what it should have been because it had been waiting a while to serve.Special Features:
- Virtue, Feed, and Grainfoodie4lifeDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant offers a rustic atmosphere and nice farm to table food. You'll enjoy time with friends either inside or outside. The patio offers many available tables with umbrellas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceCrucitaDined on 7/16/2014First time visitor. Overall a nice experience. Next time I will invite more friends because it is excellent for groups and after office gatherings. Kudos to the service! They made us feel special.Special Features:
- Always good!PuddlePirateDined on 7/14/2014I took my friends and their 10 month old baby here, nervous that it might not be child friendly... boy, was I wrong! A reservation for 5:30 on a weekday was perfect. We got the full dinner service and we were one of 3-4 tables with babies/kids. Everyone had a good time and we didn't interfere with the young single professional crowd enjoying themselves at the bar upstairs. As always, the food and drinks were great and I will certainly be eating here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good .... and yetYumyum1Dined on 7/13/2014We did have to send back an entree because the tomato sauce on it was too salty to eat. Additionally, the entrees were slow to arrive. But, the crab dip and the hummus are worth a return visit. Truly delish. Swordfish was superb--very fresh. A bit noisy but they gave us the quietest possible table, as requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceAlexandriaLocalDined on 7/13/2014Really had a great time, service was excellent, food was exceptional, loved the lively scene, wish we could have stayed all evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experienceGoRavensVIPDined on 7/13/2014This place has fantastic and creative food - definitely try the mac & cheese! The service was also phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2014I've been to Virtue Feed & Grain twice for brunch. Good food with nice presentation. I had the chicken and waffles which were well flavored and light. My eating companion indicated the crabcakes were good though pretty small for the price. The ambience is casual chic with movable booths, two floors both with bars, tvs, and curtains for a little privacy on the second floor. Service is good too attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- Over-hypedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/12/2014This place is always busy with a really long wait if you don't have a reservation. My friend and I got the Mac & Cheese to share which was really good. It's on the menu as an appetizer, but would be better as a side. It's filling. My friend got the skirt steak. He expected it to be a little tough as skirt steak usually is, but this was chewy. He gave up after a few bites when his jaw was tired. I had Not Your Mom's Chicken Dinner. Very tasty, but extremely salty. Asparagus was cooked perfectly. No room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time in Old Town Alexandria.foodNfunDined on 7/12/2014Wonderful place to bring new friends and visitors to DC. Ask for Mara! She is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jst4FnVIPDined on 7/12/2014Great location, fabulous food...too loud, wouldn't go back unless I sat outside. We visitied on a Saturday night and although we had reservations, we waited for a very nice table. The restaurant was packed, primarily with a younger crowd. The restaurant has a wonderful rustic decor, however, the surfaces are all hard with nothing to soften the noise. There are many other great restaurants in the area with a lower noise level and that's likely where you'll find me in the future. Too bad, as I said the food was wonderful.Special Features:
- Disappointedlovegr8foodDined on 7/12/2014The cleanliness was poor: dirty floors with broken glass and trash under our table and seats; flies in abundance -everywhere; dirty glasses, etc. Service was slow and not friendly! This was a birthday celebration, which I noted in my online generated reservation, and the hostess and wait staff acted as if they had never heard of birthdays. The humus appetizer was not properly made, so the waiter took it back to the kitchen and smashed avocado slices into the remains in the dish instead of remaking the dish. The waiter never checked on us, and we had to flag him or others down in order to get service. Poor service!