Virgil's - NYC
152 W 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Virgil's - NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.virgilsbbq.com/
- Phone: 2129219494
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Marc Trujillo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Virgil's Cater your next party. We offer full service catering for all types of events. Let us drop off and setup or let us stay and serve your guests with the Virgil's experience at your door. Contact our Catering Department at 212-362-6444
- Private Party Facilities: call for details
- Private Party Contact: Penny Kaplan 212-921-9494
- Special Events: Whether you are planning a corporate event, holiday celebration, pre- or post- theatre dinner, or just a night out with family and friends, Virgil’s has great options for all your event needs. We can accommodate 200 guests for a seated dinner and up to 250 for a cocktail reception.
Parties at Virgil’s are for the young at heart: they’re fun, festive and casual. Kick back and check your day at the door. Groups of 15 or more will choose from specially designed menus created by our Executive Chef. We offer down home appetizers including our famous Trainwreck Fries, Hush Puppies, and BBQ Chicken Wings. The main course includes delicious smoked Memphis Pork Ribs, pulled Carolina Pork, Owensboro Lamb, and sliced Texas Beef Brisket. To complete the BBQ experience, enjoy our Baked Beans, Country Greens, Mac and Cheese, Cole Slaw, and Potato Salad.
A word from Virgil's - NYC
We are a much decorated Home-style BBQ restaurant located in the heart of Times Square, at the crossroads of the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Virgil's - NYC - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Virgil's - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
361 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (202)kid-friendly (149)great for lunch (125)fit for foodies (103)neighborhood gem (72)hot spot (52)late-night find (49)vibrant bar scene (47)special occasion (41)great for brunch (39)great for outdoor dining (7)romantic (4)scenic view (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Love In FoodFoodaliciousDined on 9/27/2014Virgil's bbq was so good! From the waiter to the food, everything was just good. The plates are huge, which explains the prices. Definitely going back in the future.Special Features:
- Texas BBqItalyDined on 9/27/2014When not in Texas and have a desire for good BBQ this would be the place. Good BBQ, good portionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We were a group of 5 and joined for dinner at Virgil's on Saturday evening. The ribs were quite terrible, not sufficiently cooked and not served hot. T-bone was ok, not more. Service is ok but we had to remind the waitress to serve water, to cold the wine etc. Reputation is overrated.Special Features:
- Excellent food, great atmosphere.LindylouDined on 9/27/2014There were a group of 6 of us, made reservations prior to coming to New York and we arrived a bit earlier but they were able to accommodate us with no problem. Service was excellent, food was ready in a timely fashion and was very tasty. Would recommend this restaurant without hesitation.Special Features:
- cookieDined on 9/25/2014They are consistently good. The best bbq midtown, nyc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQ!AndealexDined on 9/19/2014We went here after seeing a play with a group of 9. I got the ribs, my daughter got the brisket and both were delicious. Very tender, not over seasoned. The mashed potatoes were to die for and the potato salad was very good. My friend got the fried chicken which she said was really good as well. We ordered a couple of drinks, which were big and generous. Would highly recommend if you're looking for some down home BBQ.Special Features:
- BarbequeliciousNortravellerDined on 9/17/2014Really good food at reasonable prices. Service minded staff. Big servings. Top notch! Would easily go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another delicious dinnerJohnnyODined on 9/17/2014My fiancée and I always choose Virgil's for special occasions. Fantastic placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jim59Dined on 9/17/2014Our third visit here over several years withstood the test of time. Great BBQ, excellent service at moderate NYC prices. A good choice for pre show meal (if you can resist over eating!).Special Features:
- SheEnjoyedItDined on 9/15/2014Took my friend there for a belated bday dinner,her fav spot.Waiter suggested the Memphis ribs (dry rub and they were super dry),pulled BBQ chkn was not what I expected (dry).Greens were adequate but portion was for a 5yr old,Mac & Cheese was ok..Trainwreck fries again were ok,got em without the bacon & jalapenos.She had the hush pupps..Spent $98 with tax & tip so for that price I was underwhelmed.Nice spot good ppl and service just the food didn't match the pricing.I've yet to find a Soul Food spot that can replace the Shark Bar or Mecca. Amy Ruth's is the closest I've experienced..Special Features:
- Fun and deliciousFrancescaDined on 9/13/2014Very good BBQ makes this a perfect pre-theater place to eat. Kid-friendly, too.Special Features:
- Great BBQdiverdanDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I have been coming to Virgil's for many years. The food is great as well as the service. Great place for a meal before a show or anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014Loved the ribs and cheesy grits. Service was excellent. Cornbread also very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQNevcliffDined on 9/10/2014We have only been to NYC twice and on both occasions we made Virgil a "must eat there" stop. The food is delicious, the portions are humongous, great service and did I mention? The food is DELICIOUS!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CackieDined on 9/10/2014A gem! Food is delicious and service excellent. The location in the theater district is a real asset. I strongly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Good serviceJuiceCruDined on 9/8/2014The food wasn't what I expected. Southern food consists of sweet potatoes, collard greens, different types of chicken and it should be seasoned well. I had better southern food at Cea-lo off the bruckner in the Bronx. It's good to go in a big group and have beers and munch on everything. Didn't expect that. The service was very fast for the food to be "freshly made". It felt like they had it waiting for me and my date.Special Features:
- outstandingMrAndMrsZDined on 9/6/2014Food was amazing. Who would have thought you could find authentic BBQ in the heart of ManhattanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RegularsASNYCVIPDined on 9/6/2014We are regulars. We have plenty of BBQ restaurants in the City to choose from but Virgil's is always our go-to. Reliable, good portions and reasonable price. The only thing that makes us go to Times Sq.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodshorty2Dined on 9/6/2014The service was good...The hushpuppies appetizers were great. ..our entrees were good just a little to salty for our taste buds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter seemed annoyed.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Waiter seemed to be not want to be bothered. He was not very attentive. Food was just okay.Special Features:
- Too sweet, fit for college kids.LesismoreVIPDined on 9/5/2014Not really bad, but not good. Mountains of food, seems like it should be in a college town.Special Features:
- bon diner à Time SquarefrencharnoDined on 9/4/2014Nous nous y sommes rendu après une comédie musicale à Broadway: très proche de Time Square donc très pratique. L accueil était chaleureux la nourriture honnête et généreuse et le cadre tout à fait dans l esprit du restaurant américain que je souhaitais découvrir: avec en prime la diffusion de match de foot US. Un restaurant à conseiller!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatMaxluxDined on 9/4/20141st evening NY trip! Best place to stay! Great american food, great service, ice cold beer! Cheers!Special Features:
- Bar Staff Needs More TrainingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014Virgil's is one of our most favorite NYC restaurnats. We take friends from out of town there all the time. Unfortunately, the last time we were there, while waiting for our friends, we stopped at the bar and the service was indifferent and the drinks brought to us considerably later than we ordered them. But the rest of the waitstaff in the dining area is outstandingly good and the food superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very averageMeatloverDined on 9/3/2014Salad was average and the ribs were very burnt. We stayed at the hotel opposite hence it was convenient, however, even though the waiter for the table next to us sounded delightful, out waitress was not so keen at all.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014I used be a regular customer when I was working in the city about 9 years ago. I believe the food was much better back then.
- CagirlDined on 9/1/2014Elcellent food .... Great place for all your special occasions. First time at VIrgil's I was not disappointed . It was my birthday, called three hours before, and for a reservation through OPenTable! I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BBQ in Times SquareClaraLDined on 9/1/2014This is a very casual restaurant and was perfect for dinner before our Broadway show. My husband said his ribs were very good--my shrimp were a little rubbery, but tasty. Overall a good experience and would recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic BBQfoodiesRusDined on 8/31/2014The tastiest authentic BBQ in the NYC area, efficient friendly service from the hostess to the servers. Do not miss the crispy hush puppies, Memphis style pork spare ribs, Texas beef brisket, banana pudding and 21st Amendment watermelon beer, you won't be disappointed. We highly recommend Virgil's and will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the best BBQ in NYCwillbVIPDined on 8/30/2014Forget about Dinosaur with their long waits and difficult reservations. Or Blue Smoke (thought delicious!) with their small servings. This joint is the real deal. Get the pick-two sampler, and enjoy the cheese grits.Special Features:
- Good foodBBQFANDined on 8/30/2014I've been to Virgil's on more than one occasion. The food is always good. If I had to make one criticism; it would be the price of the catfish dinner. I think the price was too high for the portion size of the dish. It was considerably smaller than the other entrees of equal price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDined on 8/29/2014Sorry but not my scene. Meat was dry and overlooked
- DinnycDined on 8/25/2014BBQ food was far too salty, my son had the pig out and took it all out, not to eat it, I felt bad and made the excuse he felt ill. My daughter ate a little more than half hers which made me eat more than I wanted to. The service and staff, faultless.Special Features:
- chrisbordeauxDined on 8/25/2014Very good diner BBQ near to Time Square. Many choices and the desserts are very good.Special Features:
- Greatfatboy14Dined on 8/24/2014I've been coming here since I was a kid the food is great and the workers are very kind I'm planning to go back as soon as possibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UghLotharVIPDined on 8/23/2014If you like BBQ, go elsewhere. Meat was horribly dry. Service was awful.
- Good BBQspelevinkenDined on 8/23/2014Good food but VERY large portions, we almost felt full just seing the plates. Very friendly staff and moderate prices and the ribs and brisket were very tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Been there a few times and always enjoyed it. The different meats are great specially the brisket.Special Features:
- Good honest foodPillywallyDined on 8/21/2014Great service and good quality food served promptly. Portions are huge and good value for money! The mashed potato is excellent as well as the ribs! Salads are awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BBQ at a reasonable priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014The service was great, food was fantastic, you must try the cole slaw. The prices are very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.