Virgil's - NYC
152 W 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Virgil's - NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.virgilsbbq.com/
- Phone: 2129219494
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Marc Trujillo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Virgil's Cater your next party. We offer full service catering for all types of events. Let us drop off and setup or let us stay and serve your guests with the Virgil's experience at your door. Contact our Catering Department at 212-362-6444
- Private Party Facilities: call for details
- Private Party Contact: Penny Kaplan 212-921-9494
- Special Events: Whether you are planning a corporate event, holiday celebration, pre- or post- theatre dinner, or just a night out with family and friends, Virgil’s has great options for all your event needs. We can accommodate 200 guests for a seated dinner and up to 250 for a cocktail reception.
Parties at Virgil’s are for the young at heart: they’re fun, festive and casual. Kick back and check your day at the door. Groups of 15 or more will choose from specially designed menus created by our Executive Chef. We offer down home appetizers including our famous Trainwreck Fries, Hush Puppies, and BBQ Chicken Wings. The main course includes delicious smoked Memphis Pork Ribs, pulled Carolina Pork, Owensboro Lamb, and sliced Texas Beef Brisket. To complete the BBQ experience, enjoy our Baked Beans, Country Greens, Mac and Cheese, Cole Slaw, and Potato Salad.
A word from Virgil's - NYC
We are a much decorated Home-style BBQ restaurant located in the heart of Times Square, at the crossroads of the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Virgil's - NYC - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Virgil's - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
394 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (217)kid-friendly (162)great for lunch (146)fit for foodies (102)neighborhood gem (74)late-night find (63)hot spot (60)vibrant bar scene (51)great for brunch (44)special occasion (43)romantic (5)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Some of the best BBQ in NYCwillbVIPDined on 8/30/2014Forget about Dinosaur with their long waits and difficult reservations. Or Blue Smoke (thought delicious!) with their small servings. This joint is the real deal. Get the pick-two sampler, and enjoy the cheese grits.Special Features:
- DisappointedDined on 8/29/2014Sorry but not my scene. Meat was dry and overlooked
- DinnycDined on 8/25/2014BBQ food was far too salty, my son had the pig out and took it all out, not to eat it, I felt bad and made the excuse he felt ill. My daughter ate a little more than half hers which made me eat more than I wanted to. The service and staff, faultless.Special Features:
- chrisbordeauxDined on 8/25/2014Very good diner BBQ near to Time Square. Many choices and the desserts are very good.Special Features:
- Greatfatboy14Dined on 8/24/2014I've been coming here since I was a kid the food is great and the workers are very kind I'm planning to go back as soon as possibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UghLotharVIPDined on 8/23/2014If you like BBQ, go elsewhere. Meat was horribly dry. Service was awful.
- Great food as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Been there a few times and always enjoyed it. The different meats are great specially the brisket.Special Features:
- Good honest foodPillywallyDined on 8/21/2014Great service and good quality food served promptly. Portions are huge and good value for money! The mashed potato is excellent as well as the ribs! Salads are awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BBQ at a reasonable priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014The service was great, food was fantastic, you must try the cole slaw. The prices are very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!YumYumGrahamsDined on 8/21/2014First time in New York as a family...and had been recommended Virgil's as 'a must'. Boy, are we glad we listened to our friends! Service was top drawer (thank you David) and food was absolutely fantastic! A wonderful first night dining experience in NYC! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large portions, weak drinksBosmamaDined on 8/20/2014Portions are ridiculously large. Get one for two people. Drinks were all juice. Expensive meal that was not great.Special Features:
- First time dinerTwotutorDined on 8/20/2014I had the Trash Can Ribs and the brisket combo. The brisket was tender but dry and the ribs were okay - I think they were beef, which I don't care for. My friends had the fried catfish and fried chicken and said they were good. I would go back, know what not to order but there's plenty of items to choose from. The wait staff was great!! Our waiter Robert was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fast efficient servicegreenhornDined on 8/17/2014Good barbecue at decent prices (considering the location) - service is fast if you need to get to your theater on time!Special Features:
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/17/2014Not as good as it used to be. We've eaten at Virgil's numerous times. The collard greens recipe has changed. The meals came out warm, not hot. Service was okay. I gave it a very good based on past experiences, maybe this time was just an off day.
- Wow!LovegooddiningDined on 8/17/2014This was my introduction to Virgil's. A friend and I stopped in on our way to see Audra McDonald in Lady Day. The food, service and atmosphere was excellent. I would highly recommend this place to everyone who appreciates down home soul food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmericanissimoRebeccaDined on 8/15/2014Tipico ristorante americano con televisori accesi e tanta confusione. Degli asciugamani l hanno già scritto gli altri io vi dico che la qualità e buona porzioni esagerate e prezzo in linea . E' ok per chi cerca più la quantità che la qualità comunque ottimo servizio del cameriere. GrazieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Virgil'sFigmentDined on 8/15/2014Great food Nachos are the best anywhere Loved the trash ribs. Mohito was the best. Very upbeat atmosphere A lot of funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barbecue Bad - Good Pickled BeetsBarracudaDined on 8/14/2014The ribs are difficult to describe. Fatty, tough and tasteless with a leathery crust. The sauce does nothing to enhance what I found inedible. The brisket was only marginally better. The barbecued pulled chicken sandwich came right out of a school cafeteria. Banana pudding was meh.
- FantasticRealBarbecueDined on 8/13/2014A real Barbecue in NYC now I have seen it all. OUT STANDINGSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014This was my first time visiting Virgil's, i been wanting to try them out for a while and cannot believe it took me so long. The food was incredible, outstanding service. I went this a couple of friends who only speak spanish and really appreaciated the waiter attending to us in Spanish. It was Fantastick! Cant wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableBillDined on 8/12/2014Love visiting Virgil's every time I come to NYC. Food is always excellent and every guest I bring there really enjoys the menu variety and the good quality. The appetizer selection is so complete we dan make a great meal from that area alone. The wings are probably the best I have ever had and I travel extensively throughout the US.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't enjoy itNotforusDined on 8/12/2014I heard about this place from a friend. I liked the atmosphere, and my waiter was very friendly. However, because my kids a picky eaters they were not satisfied by the mac and cheese. I was disappointed that the food came to the table was either tepid of lukewarm! For a bar-b-que place that was disheartening. We were in midtown, so the price was to be expected, I just didn't like it.
- Great food!PattyGVIPDined on 8/11/2014It was great time with my family!! Celebrating a birthday, they made us feel special!! Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- Excellent and filling!!!LisaDined on 8/10/2014We love going to a Broadway show and then dining at Virgil's. The BBQ is outstanding, the wait staff is very friendly, and the portions are ridiculously enormous. I had the brisket and pulled pork - and my favorite - hushpuppies! We usually take home enough food for a second meal the next day! Even the desserts are good - although we ordered a key lime pie and what we were given actually tasted more like a cheesecake.Special Features:
- Went back the next daycocoapuffstxDined on 8/9/2014We dined late after a Broadway show and could not try everything we wanted, so we made reservations for lunch the next day. The food was delicious. Portion sizes were generous too. When we are back in the city, we will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great BBQCindyloowhooDined on 8/8/2014Always have a good meal with fast service here. Also loved the specialty lemonades.Special Features:
- Great food and BBQ.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Went to Virgil's before a Broadway play with my son who loves BBQ. We made the reservation through Open Table while on the train into the city. It could not have been easier and our table was waiting for us when we arrived. Both the service and the food were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best BBQMarkESackettVIPDined on 8/8/2014Very fatty meat, average service this time but have had much better here. Good beans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ATAFDined on 8/7/2014It was great - food was good and service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok bbqDaveVIPDined on 8/7/2014Virgil's is ok bbq in a central theater district location with good service. Food tasty with decent portions. It's not the best bbq in the world, or even in Manhattan, but it's fine and priced right. Have been there several times and will go back.Special Features:
- BBQ before the theatre is a treat.BarbequeDined on 8/7/2014Virgil's is a dependable and well known. My husband chose it this time because my son, who is big eater, had selected "Book Of Mormon" and he doesn't usually go to Broadway or come to Manhattan for dinner. Also, the ribs are their speciality, and somehow this type of food was anything but the white bread image of the Mormons! My son ended taking a tremendous "doggie bag" home, and believe me, he has no dog! It was fun to be at such a place filled with big rooms and party atmosphere. By the way, it was five when we sat down, and we were out in plenty of time to walk over to the Eugene O' Neil theatre. But I prefer the brisket and chicken to the ribs. To each his own. There is quite a selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Been a fan for years. Always love the food, service and ambience. Has been absolutely no decline in any of the aforementioned. Just make sure to keep it that way.Special Features:
- RecommendedSD74Dined on 8/5/2014Lovely evening. Great food, very nice place, kind stuff. Really appreciated. Thanks from ItalySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQffv93Dined on 8/3/2014Virgil's is NYC's premier Southern-Style Barbeque restaurant. Virgil's is years of barbecue expertise and fantastic flavors right in the heart of Times Square! A perfect mix of new and classic. Great Food! Perfetto se avete voglia di immergervi in un locale tipico americano mangiando porzioni abbondanti e succulenti. Non molti turisti e prezzi onesti.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- came recommended &victorDined on 8/2/2014Was as good as promised. Man size portions. Please open in Ireland !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Senza preteseKlingsor7Dined on 8/2/2014Entri ordini e ti danno qualcosa da mangiare. Niente di più niente di meno. Cibo nella media per NYCSpecial Features:
- Quick, and great food!BebaDined on 8/1/2014If you are looking for good food with no hassle, definitely stop in to Virgil's! You must try the frozen mojito!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food experienceNewYorkTim23Dined on 7/30/2014Was in NY for business and decided to try Virgil's given the great experience I had at Carmine's. Wouldn't be rushing back in a hurry. 2 meal combo was on the small and bland side. Colleague had to put sauce on food to add flavour - thought this wouldn't be necessary at a BBQ joint!! Waiter also said item wasn't available on the menu until you pointed it out to him, and then it was.Special Features:
- Great ribs and fried chickenETJFAMDined on 7/30/2014Had early dinner before watching a show at Belasco theater across the street. Loved the ribs and the fried chicken. The biscuit was also good. Place was full. Reservation is recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre-theater lunchTheatergeekDined on 7/30/2014Went for lunch and was not disappointed. If you are a fan of barbeque then this place is for you. Delicious food and reasonable prices for NYC. Service was excellent. Would definitely recommend!Special Features: