Virgil's - NYC
152 W 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Virgil's - NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.virgilsbbq.com/
- Phone: 2129219494
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Marc Trujillo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Virgil's Cater your next party. We offer full service catering for all types of events. Let us drop off and setup or let us stay and serve your guests with the Virgil's experience at your door. Contact our Catering Department at 212-362-6444
- Private Party Facilities: call for details
- Private Party Contact: Penny Kaplan 212-921-9494
- Special Events: Whether you are planning a corporate event, holiday celebration, pre- or post- theatre dinner, or just a night out with family and friends, Virgil’s has great options for all your event needs. We can accommodate 200 guests for a seated dinner and up to 250 for a cocktail reception.
Parties at Virgil’s are for the young at heart: they’re fun, festive and casual. Kick back and check your day at the door. Groups of 15 or more will choose from specially designed menus created by our Executive Chef. We offer down home appetizers including our famous Trainwreck Fries, Hush Puppies, and BBQ Chicken Wings. The main course includes delicious smoked Memphis Pork Ribs, pulled Carolina Pork, Owensboro Lamb, and sliced Texas Beef Brisket. To complete the BBQ experience, enjoy our Baked Beans, Country Greens, Mac and Cheese, Cole Slaw, and Potato Salad.
A word from Virgil's - NYC
We are a much decorated Home-style BBQ restaurant located in the heart of Times Square, at the crossroads of the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Virgil's - NYC - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Virgil's - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
344 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (196)kid-friendly (134)great for lunch (119)fit for foodies (103)neighborhood gem (72)hot spot (56)vibrant bar scene (54)late-night find (49)special occasion (35)great for brunch (34)great for outdoor dining (8)scenic view (4)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014a quality place near Times Square - where there are many overprices bad onesSpecial Features:
- Virgil's BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014The best food and service; specialty drink was good; really love this place! Would come again; great locationSpecial Features:
- not as good as it used to beBLEVYVIPDined on 10/18/2014service was slow, ribs were dry - not their best night.Special Features:
- Dinner here the other night...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/18/2014The food was cold and there was a mistake with the meal I ordered. When what you order does not come out the way you like, it ruins a good meal. I will say the waiter was very nice as well as the staff.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Don't go here with kids. The bar is very very very noisy, and badly disturbs dining and talking in dinner tables, too. We had to wait in the bar with kids for our table to get ready. Had a reservation but 15 minute wait among drunkards in the bar was not what I was hoping for. Luckily there are other options - now that we know to avoid this place. For sure some people will enjoy this chaotic environment, but sorry we didn't.
- beyond expectationzzsharonDined on 10/15/2014We have been dinning at Virgil's for a few time in the past. This time we came with Friends and enjoy Virgil's a lot. we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good servicegbnycDined on 10/15/2014Food was very good, and good portions. Wife and I split one of the three-item platters and had leftovers. Pecan rice was the favorite side for everyone at the table. Ribs were tender, and the brisket was particularly tasty. Hush puppies appetizer were a hit! Server was attentive and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RegularsASNYCVIPDined on 10/12/2014We are regulars for a reason. Best BBQ joint in Times Sq.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and locationfoodsnobDined on 10/11/2014Great service but not the type of BBQ this Georgia peach is used too...... Great and fast service but ok BBQ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BBQMTMBBQDined on 10/11/2014We had a party of 6 and thoroughly enjoyed our food and experience. Portions were large, food was excellent and service outstanding. All of the staff were very polite and helpful. At one point my youngest son was feeling faint and the bar tender gave him a ginger ale, which helped him feel much better. We would recommend to our friends and family!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014we totally enjoyed our food & the service was great...we got there right before shift change, our waitress brought her replacement over personally introduced him. the service remained second to none....our food was wonderful, there were 6 of us & we all were very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very teastycunpakaDined on 10/10/2014Baby ribs and nachos wer great, portions are so big, even baby ribs.Special Features:
- A favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014Cozy, friendly atmosphere with good service and food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedqinkDined on 10/8/2014The food came in 10 minutes and very cold. I was expecting something better from the reviews and pictures. The ribs were tough. This made NYC pale in comparison to other great rib joints around the country.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014Virgil's never disappoints. Great BBQ and stellar drinks. Our serve staff was right on it without being annoying. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Southern Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Looking for Southern food and Southern hospitality in the heart of Times Square? You'll find it here. The food was made fresh and delicious, the staffs are friendly with great knowledge, the service was fast and accurate, the ambiance was nice - real and not pretentious, and it's in the heart of Times Square. Try to order the chicken wings as a starter - very delicious and different. The friend chicken was amazing too. If you are in groups, try their combo menu to share so you can taste different things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always...AaronVIPDined on 10/6/2014This place is my favorite!! Love it here and visit each time I travel to NYC!Special Features:
- Two Thumbs Up!!!JamonjiDined on 10/4/2014I've been wanting to eat here for a while now and it was worth the wait! The food didn't take long to come out, our server was awesome and we enjoyed the meal. My girlfriend and I will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't eat before!!ire85Dined on 10/4/2014Empty stomach is required! Too much to eat and everything sooo good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- robertDined on 10/4/2014enjoyable meal every time I eat at Virgil's. I would recommend it for nice casual meal.Special Features:
- mouth watering foodluvBBQDined on 10/4/2014The food was outstanding..... My wife and I can't rave enough on how outstanding the food and service was...we did not leave hungry....highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two levels of noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2014Quieter upstairs! Service quick and friendly. Good alternative to pricy theater dustrict restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What works is greatGVillagerVIPDined on 10/2/2014Chicken, and beef were especially good. Ribs tasty, but ends over cooked. But the pulled pork was nothing special, lacking smoky flavor. And this is a barbecue place, so it should be a highlight. Some shrimp were good, but one was especially awful. Staff was indifferent to complaint. So overall, a mixed experience.Special Features:
- A must try!wetmogwaiDined on 10/1/2014Virgil's has been my favorite restaurant in NYC for over a decade. Whenever a friend visits NYC, I suggest they try it, and invariably the next time they visit they want to go back. Try the pulled chicken and a Fall Off the Porch Iced Tea!Special Features:
- Awesome!!!Awesome2dineDined on 9/30/2014The service is good and foods are yummy.. My friends and I enjoyed the night at this restaurant..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love In FoodFoodaliciousDined on 9/27/2014Virgil's bbq was so good! From the waiter to the food, everything was just good. The plates are huge, which explains the prices. Definitely going back in the future.Special Features:
- Texas BBqItalyDined on 9/27/2014When not in Texas and have a desire for good BBQ this would be the place. Good BBQ, good portionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointedJacquesDined on 9/27/2014We were a group of 5 and joined for dinner at Virgil's on Saturday evening. The ribs were quite terrible, not sufficiently cooked and not served hot. T-bone was ok, not more. Service is ok but we had to remind the waitress to serve water, to cold the wine etc. Reputation is overrated.Special Features:
- Excellent food, great atmosphere.LindylouDined on 9/27/2014There were a group of 6 of us, made reservations prior to coming to New York and we arrived a bit earlier but they were able to accommodate us with no problem. Service was excellent, food was ready in a timely fashion and was very tasty. Would recommend this restaurant without hesitation.Special Features:
- cookieDined on 9/25/2014They are consistently good. The best bbq midtown, nyc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQ!AndealexDined on 9/19/2014We went here after seeing a play with a group of 9. I got the ribs, my daughter got the brisket and both were delicious. Very tender, not over seasoned. The mashed potatoes were to die for and the potato salad was very good. My friend got the fried chicken which she said was really good as well. We ordered a couple of drinks, which were big and generous. Would highly recommend if you're looking for some down home BBQ.Special Features:
- BarbequeliciousNortravellerDined on 9/17/2014Really good food at reasonable prices. Service minded staff. Big servings. Top notch! Would easily go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another delicious dinnerJohnnyODined on 9/17/2014My fiancée and I always choose Virgil's for special occasions. Fantastic placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jim59Dined on 9/17/2014Our third visit here over several years withstood the test of time. Great BBQ, excellent service at moderate NYC prices. A good choice for pre show meal (if you can resist over eating!).Special Features:
- SheEnjoyedItDined on 9/15/2014Took my friend there for a belated bday dinner,her fav spot.Waiter suggested the Memphis ribs (dry rub and they were super dry),pulled BBQ chkn was not what I expected (dry).Greens were adequate but portion was for a 5yr old,Mac & Cheese was ok..Trainwreck fries again were ok,got em without the bacon & jalapenos.She had the hush pupps..Spent $98 with tax & tip so for that price I was underwhelmed.Nice spot good ppl and service just the food didn't match the pricing.I've yet to find a Soul Food spot that can replace the Shark Bar or Mecca. Amy Ruth's is the closest I've experienced..Special Features:
- Fun and deliciousFrancescaDined on 9/13/2014Very good BBQ makes this a perfect pre-theater place to eat. Kid-friendly, too.Special Features:
- Great BBQdiverdanDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I have been coming to Virgil's for many years. The food is great as well as the service. Great place for a meal before a show or anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014Loved the ribs and cheesy grits. Service was excellent. Cornbread also very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQNevcliffDined on 9/10/2014We have only been to NYC twice and on both occasions we made Virgil a "must eat there" stop. The food is delicious, the portions are humongous, great service and did I mention? The food is DELICIOUS!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CackieDined on 9/10/2014A gem! Food is delicious and service excellent. The location in the theater district is a real asset. I strongly recommend this restaurant.Special Features: