Virgil's - NYC
152 W 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Virgil's - NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.virgilsbbq.com/
- Phone: (212) 921-9494
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Marc Trujillo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Virgil's Cater your next party. We offer full service catering for all types of events. Let us drop off and setup or let us stay and serve your guests with the Virgil's experience at your door. Contact our Catering Department at 212-362-6444
- Private Party Facilities: call for details
- Private Party Contact: Penny Kaplan 212-921-9494
- Special Events: Whether you are planning a corporate event, holiday celebration, pre- or post- theatre dinner, or just a night out with family and friends, Virgil’s has great options for all your event needs. We can accommodate 200 guests for a seated dinner and up to 250 for a cocktail reception.
Parties at Virgil’s are for the young at heart: they’re fun, festive and casual. Kick back and check your day at the door. Groups of 15 or more will choose from specially designed menus created by our Executive Chef. We offer down home appetizers including our famous Trainwreck Fries, Hush Puppies, and BBQ Chicken Wings. The main course includes delicious smoked Memphis Pork Ribs, pulled Carolina Pork, Owensboro Lamb, and sliced Texas Beef Brisket. To complete the BBQ experience, enjoy our Baked Beans, Country Greens, Mac and Cheese, Cole Slaw, and Potato Salad.
A word from Virgil's - NYC
We are a much decorated Home-style BBQ restaurant located in the heart of Times Square, at the crossroads of the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Virgil's - NYC - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Virgil's - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
334 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (201)kid-friendly (117)great for lunch (110)fit for foodies (107)neighborhood gem (72)vibrant bar scene (57)hot spot (56)late-night find (53)special occasion (31)great for brunch (25)great for outdoor dining (11)scenic view (4)romantic (2)Show More
- A New York Staple for Me.RalphDined on 11/15/2014I have eaten at Virgil's many times since it was introduced to me on a trip into the city (I live a few states away and go in to see shows occasionally.) I have taken just about everyone who has gone into New York City with me to Virgil's. ...and I will go again. I can't give it much more praise than that. I enjoy the food, the prices are reasonable for being so close to Time's Square...and the amount of food you get is delightful (bordering on too much.) The variety in the menu is fitting and always offers plenty of options for groups. It gets busy and that's my biggest complaint. Sometimes it feels like we're being rushed, but with food like they offer, that's to be expected. It's a bulk business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disabled not welcome here!DisabledMomDined on 11/15/2014The one and only drawback to this restaurant is a serious one. It is NOT handicapped accessible. I arrived with my party of 7 and was told all tables were on the second floor. I use a cane. It is agony and unsafe for me to use stairs but I had no choice at that point. I had a blind and physically limited child who also really struggled with the stairs. I would caution anyone not to use this place unless your party contained no folks with a disability. It is a shame!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist TrapParisgDined on 11/14/2014Because the place is Always packed, you never get Great customer service here
- So. Much. Food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Amazing food but massive quantities! We came as a party of two but wished we had invited some friends; we didn't even come close to finishing our meals, despite the amazing quality. Loved the pulled pork and combo sandwiches, the hush puppies with maple butter, and the hard cider float was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations, Food, Atmosphere, ServiceDebJDined on 11/14/2014Made a reservation through Open Table and when we checked in our table was ready in 5 minutes! The food was fantastic, service was great and the atmosphere was fun! Would visit this restaurant every time in NYC.Special Features:
- Good bbq for NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014Bbq tasted fresh for NYC. Often times "bbq" is really just warmed up meat with sauce added. Not here. You can tell it was smoked and not overheated. Meat was better than the sides. Wings were awesome. Is right in Times Square which is definitely evident in the prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQ in Times Square?PosterDined on 11/11/2014Virgil's is great place for southern BBQ! Fun atmosphere, great food and good service at reasonable prices. I make it a point to go here every time I am in NYC. The KC fried chicken was delicious as was the brisket my wife ordered. Baked beans are probably the best I have had and the mac n chees is wonderful! If your a BBQ nut like me, don't miss this this one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really tastey BBQJustDeeDined on 11/11/2014I was expecting small portions and high prices but boy was I wrong. The BBQ had a nice smokey flavor, the ribs were meaty, the brisket was plenty. We had a reservation for 4 people and were quickly seated when we arrived. We all left stuffed. Just a note, the noice level was moderate, for some reason the field wasn't working on the survey form.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good pricesmike54Dined on 11/11/2014We go to Virgils a few times a year while we are going to shows in Manhattan. If you want good food at reasonable prices, Virgils is the place to go. In addition they have fast service in case you need to get to a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ribs ribs ribsunclejackssteakhouse2013Dined on 11/11/2014I am a regular at Virgils. The service was good and the food was flavorful and plentiful. The only problem was the ribs were very tough. Usually they are perfect.Special Features:
- DiningMackDined on 11/8/2014This is a great place to eat. Food was awesome and the service was even better we had David in the upstairs he was great.MSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 11/8/2014Good restaurant for pre-theater. Service is quick, although portions aren't as big as they used to be. The ribs are very good.Special Features:
- Great experience in New York City!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014We enjoyed the fun atmosphere. The food was delicious- great wings and ribs! Plenty of food. Warm cloths for messy cleanup after enjoying our rins and wings! Wait staff was accommodating and friendly. Felt a little rushd out so they could get more people in to dine. Otherwise, definitely would recommend to others visiting New York City! Children's menu available. Suggest reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014This restaurant is in time square and The food was great. The service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation problemsNYorker99Dined on 11/7/2014Made a reservation for 6.30 pm. It was extremely crowded, and table was not available until 7.17 pm. We had theater tickets for 8.00 pm, so we had to just eat at the bar. Luckily, the bar staff was very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- solid, but not specatcular, BBQctowner1VIPDined on 11/7/2014decent food - pretty large (and expensive) lunch portion - baby back ribs. But they were tasty.Special Features:
- DoradoDined on 11/6/2014good for groups. Serving size huge. Too much for people coming from Europe. Quality very good . The hamburger delicious.Special Features:
- Consistency Over The YearsFtWorthVirgilsFanDined on 11/5/2014I've been going to NYC and Virgil's for years, and each time it's so consistently delicious. Turned on to Virgil's by a good friend here in Texas, this was my daughter's first time to experience all that Virgil's has to offer. She had heard me talk about it before, but now she's a true believer!Special Features:
- pre theatrenanabananaDined on 11/5/2014great inexpensive place to go before theatre. The only problem is the portions are so big you will be taking a doggie bag to your show.Special Features:
- amazing BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2014after all these years and all the other "trendy" bbq joints, Virgils still delivers and is still AMAZING !!!!!!!!!! :) best biscuits everSpecial Features:
- BBQ done right in NYCBlfofoodie123VIPDined on 11/2/2014Great food and service. Who knew you could find good BBQ in NYC!Special Features:
- nice and fastOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014We visited this restaurant for a first time more than 10 years ago and always coming back here each time when visiting NYC.Special Features:
- VirgilRosaVIPDined on 11/1/2014While this is one of the better places to eat in the Broadway area, the food is always lukewarm - not sure whether this is a kitchen problem or a service problem, but it makes what could be very good, fresh food into mediocre dishes and sides.
- Never again....LoveTheBeachVIPDined on 11/1/2014Ate with my family before a show. The food was beyond awful. Some of us ordered fried catfish which we love. It was watery, soggy and looked undercooked. Inedible. We sent it back and got salads which were ok. The sides looked and tasted like they had been sitting under a heat lamp for hours. Our server was good and pretty helpful except he never told us there were any specials. We noticed them on the chalkboard on the way out. Too many places to eat in the city that are better than this. I would really stay away. Not worth it.
- I Had a Good TimeKevinReviewsDined on 11/1/2014I went to Virgil's because my mother wanted to take me out for my birthday so I didn't expect much. Honestly the service was outstanding and even though the food was mainly barbecue it tasted a bit spicy. The food was still really good and the service was amazing, I really enjoyed my time at Virgil's.Special Features:
- AndonaDined on 10/29/2014I had a great time with my friends! I specifically love the cornbread and the BBQ Shrimps...I recommend it to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ribSImarandomguyDined on 10/26/2014it was all really good except for the ribs my mother ordered they were cooked too hard but mine came out great and tasted amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to EatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Everything was very good from food, staff and seating time. I brought a friend with me that has never been to Virgil's and the person Love it... Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow"!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014Great food lots of it. So much food most people take most of their plate home. Bad idea if your off to the theatre. It's the middle of the theatre district. Your seat mates may not want to smell BBQ although the lion king. What happened to the wine list? It's just beer and jug wine now. Still the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BBQseafoodfanDined on 10/25/2014Good place for BBQ in NYC. the brisket was tasty and the pork was juicy. Definitely worth a return visit.Special Features:
- Great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014I am from the South, now living in CT, so when I was planning my day excursion in NYC and saw Virgil's BBQ it was a no-brainer...I had to try it. Location Location Location, visible from Time Square. Bar and overall atmosphere was great. Hush Puppies....GET THEM! I got a three meat sampler plate. Price was decent. Overall the food was OK, meat was a little dry. Would try a different place next visit.Special Features:
- Not Quite Up to ParBBQLoverDined on 10/24/2014Virgil's is one of the places I make it a point to try and visit when I am in NYC. In this case, we were there within 2 hours of arriving in town. Unfortunately, the meal was a little disappointing. While my wife's hamburger was excellent, my brisket sandwich was a major letdown. In contrast to prior visits, the meat was dry and overcooked. The only thing that salvaged the visit for me was dessert. As usual, the banana pudding was perfect, down to the last spoonful. The service was pretty good, though drink refills can sometimes be a longer wait than I would like. Overall, I will put this visit down as an anomaly and I will give them another chance next time I am in town.Special Features:
- always fantasticEmanueleSassettiDined on 10/23/2014Simply the right place in ny, where bbq is good and at good price. Enjoy!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family reunionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Nice Resteraunt who provided good service and accommodated our request for a round table for our reunion.Special Features:
- Another 5 star BBQ dinner @ VirgilsMomnipVIPDined on 10/22/2014Apricot smoked rack of rib special and 3 meat selection BBQ were both GREAT. Skip the appetizers and save room for desert. Banana pudding and Key lime pie are great too! Virgil's is a great choice when you are in the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great casual b b qRdr525VIPDined on 10/22/2014Have eaten here before. This time it was not as busy, maybe because it was only 4:30. Upper levelwas not opened yet, so we sat main level. Food is good and nice size portions. I tried the pumpkin beer which I liked. Had combo of shrimp & ribs and DH had brisket. We shared and still took home some brisket. Would definately return when inthe mood for b b qSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014a quality place near Times Square - where there are many overprices bad onesSpecial Features:
- Virgil's BBQQueensFoodie59Dined on 10/19/2014The best food and service; specialty drink was good; really love this place! Would come again; great locationSpecial Features:
- not as good as it used to beBLEVYVIPDined on 10/18/2014service was slow, ribs were dry - not their best night.Special Features:
- Not for foodies!SelectivepalateDined on 10/18/2014Mediocre BBQ fare. Too salty according to a couple of guests. The ribs are not what KC ribs are supposed to be. The grits are not well done either. Food lacks finesse. The prices, however, are reasonable and it is popular with people who don't want to spend a fortune in the theater district.