Virgil's - Mohegan Sun
1 Mohegan Sun Blvd Ste H-100
Uncasville, CT 06382Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Virgil's - Mohegan Sun
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.virgilsbbq.com/
- Phone: 8608622727
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday, 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Elvis Nunez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Wine
- Public Transit: Public Transportation Seat Bus Information (Norwich, CT) Visit seatbus.com or call 860.886.2631 Yellow Cab 860.443.4321 Norwich Taxi, LLC (Open 24 hours/7 days a week) 860.848.CABS AmRide
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: With more than 13,000 on-site patron parking spaces, parking at Mohegan Sun is never a hassle, whether you are visiting Casino of the Earth, Casino of the Sky or Casino of the Wind. Entrances to Casino of the Earth are themed by the seasons Winter, Summer and Autumn. Once inside, Casino of the Earth, Casino of the Sky and Casino of the Wind are connected by the Spring Gateway.
A word from Virgil's - Mohegan Sun
In the spring of 1993, Artie Cutler's restaurant empire was booming. After the tremendous success of Carmine's Italian Family Style locations in Times Square and on the Upper West Side, Artie wanted to add a new concept to the mix. He wanted to open an authentic barbecue restaurant in the heart of Times Square. He soon found the right location at 152 West 44th Street, and began a barbecue exodus along the backroads of the South. Artie sampled copious amounts of the best barbecue across Tennessee, Kentucky, the Carolinas, Missouri, and Texas, building a BBQ portfolio that would become the fundamental components of Virgil's menu. After learning the best practices, Artie began offering products of the highest quality, right in line with the core values of the Alicart Restaurant Group.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Virgil's - Mohegan Sun reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (9)fit for foodies (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (4)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Good food but very rushed!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014The food was great and the portions were good. Our waitress was nice but they rush you in and out. We were in and out within 30 minutes. We ordered an appetizer and it was out within 5 minutes of ordering it but our food came out right behind it. The waitress brought the check with her and then asked if we wanted any dessert. Yes we were full but we wouldn't of ordered any dessert as it seemed the people in the restaurant wanted us in and out. We were trying to have a nice romantic dinner for our anniversary but we felt really rushed.Special Features:
- TerribleKadysmomDined on 8/29/2014Very disappointed with food and choices. We ordered our food went restroom to wash my hands it took less than two minutes. When I returned the food had been delivered. Most of the food was warm but not hot and looked like the plate had been made up then reheated. No real flavor to distinguish between the chicken or pork. Will not come back
- Big disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014Couldn't wait to eat here as Virgil's food in NYC is outstanding. It was nothing like it! Very disappointed. Good menu item were missing. Good was cold. Quality not the same.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/20/2014Dinner before a concert and the place was jumping. Out table was waiting for us as we arrived. My wife had the bbq salad and it was huge and tasty. She took home more than half of the meat that was in it. I started with the special soup of the day (chicken and rice) very very good. and then had trash ribs as my dinner. First time and I was surprised at how big the portion was. I enjoy it a great deal. Thanks
- Virgil's BBQSunshineDined on 7/19/2014Texas brisket was fantastic, place was crowded so service was a little slow, atmosphere was fun, appetizers were good, plenty to pick from on the menu.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodJustDanDined on 7/7/2014Food was good! Virgil's specializes in Memphis barbecue so don't expect a ton of sauce on your meat. You can get the "trash ribs" if you want the sauce. Brisket and cornbread were some of the best we ever had. Large portions made our leftovers lunch for the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovefoodDined on 6/21/2014Server was great. Took a long time for food. New chef in training, totally understandable. When food arrived the ribs were very dry, the pulled chicken sandwich was ok, tasted like BBQ sauce only. The hostess station floor area was ridiculously sticky/dirty.Special Features:
- Just okRNatLunchDined on 6/20/2014Food was mediocre, service was passable. Portions were overly large. I understand that's a selling point for some, but not for an average diner who ends up paying too much money for too much food that really isn't that great. I've had better BBQ in hospital cafeterias. The three fruit flies buzzing around our table were enough to put me off completely. For the price, I'd rather go somewhere else.
- HappyCamperDined on 6/1/2014A little disappointed. Although service was fast - food was cold. Just not as good as the restaurant that was there before.
- Why?GingeeVIPDined on 6/1/2014We had always really enjoyed Big Bubba's BBQ at Mohegan Sun so we were surprised when it changed over to Virgil's. We've eaten there three times since the change and have never had a good meal. Now we're done. Our last meal was on a Sunday night. We ordered chicken, ribs, and grilled catfish. The catfish was bland, the mashed potatoes starchy and dry. The collard greens were tough and undercooked. The popcorn shrimp was slippery inside the crust, the dark meat chicken was dry and chewy and the ribs were so dry and tough that we did not finish them. We eat barbecue a lot and have never had one so bad. Service and ambience were fine but the food was awful! We won't be going back.
- RatethePlateDined on 5/25/2014The portion size of the meals were unbelievable. The beef brisket was the best ever. Waitstaff was great. Overall....a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 75 reviews are from the Virgil's - Mohegan Sun reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2014Sorry but bad experience with food. Fried chicken was burnt black in spots, ribs were tough. Apps were awesome but the waiter never askef why 3 of us didnt really touch our dinners and we didnt complain so shame on us. Hopefully it was just an off nightSpecial Features:
- Reliable DiningTheatreBuffDined on 5/18/2014We love going to Virgils pre-concert. Casual dining at its finest!Special Features:
- Food was impressive!TravelingDinerDined on 5/18/2014Food was great. Greeting/Recognition at the host stand could use a lot of work. Service was adequate. Would definitely return for the food. The Ribs and Beef Brisket were some of the best I have had. Hopefully they can get guest service up to their food standards. That would indeed make this restaurant remarkable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, big portions!alwaysoutDined on 5/9/2014I took my niece her before concert at Mohegan Sun Arena. The wait staff was very attentive and the salads we got were huge! I plan to visit again in the future. We enjoyed some very delicious strawberry lemonade with dinner.Special Features:
- fitst time thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/8/2014we enjoyed virgils. food and drinks were very good. we'll come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014The Wings are awesome and the hush puppies are delicious. You have to get the pick two or pick three because it is impossible to pick just one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQ at it's bestNYGuyDined on 4/5/2014Great food fun over all can't wait to eat thee againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sat for ten minutes at lunch timeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/30/2014Food as always was great. We had a 1:30 reservation and were seated and waited for at least 10 minutes before we flagged down a hostess who was surprised that our server had not waited on us yet. A few minutes later a server came over and said she had no idea who should have our table but she would "jump in" it should be noted that she had the table to our left our right and the one beyond that as well. I HATE IT WHEN SOMEONE DOES NOT TAKE RESPONSIBITLY for their action. To her credit she tried to make up for it after that offering a few things to make up for it, which we passed on. The fish and chips were served hot and crisp and my wife said were great. I had the grilled chicken Caesar salad which is huge and loaded with chicken.
- Would Not ReturnBosoxVIPDined on 3/28/2014Prior to eating here, I read reviews ranging from "the best bbq" to "worst meal." We were open minded and decided to give it a try. We sampled the ribs, pulled pork, and beef brisket. In general, it tasted as if everything was frozen and heated up in a microwave. Would definitely not recommend.
- change isn't always better!!!RibsOMGDined on 3/22/2014ordered the trash ribs for an appetizer and that is just what they were, trash. they were cold and overcooked, the meat was tough to chew and had to use a knife and fork to remove the meat from the bone. the meat should have been soft and tender. my guests and I eat there when it was BUBBA'S and the food was great. we were very disappointed with the change.
- GREAT lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/22/2014Had a great lunch (southern grilled chicken Caesar salad in between basketball games today. Chicken was done just right and the salad was great size. Ordered the dressing on the side and used hot sauce instead. Service was OUTSTANDING to boot. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bring your appetite!!BBQPrincessDined on 3/1/2014Very good BBQ! Portions are huge!! Service was pretty good too! I would definitely go back but next time I would bring more people. It was way too much food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014We had dined previously at the Vigils in the Bahamas, and were thrilled that the food at this location lived up to our memories. We especially love the habanero Margaritas. The brisket could have been more tender, but the pulled pork and the Mac and cheese were perfection.Special Features:
- we enjoyed our visit to virgil'sTamaraDined on 2/22/2014we enjoyed our visit to virgil's the food was great. love all the nostalgic pics it kinda reminds me of a mountain lodge. love the food. and everyone seems happy there and upbeat. if you are going on a Saturday make a reservation online if you don't you could wait up to 2 hours to get in. Thankgod I had a reservation we were seated right away. the food is barbecue and southern style and it's like home cooking. love them greens and cornbread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our family found this restaurantniseeDined on 2/8/2014Our family found this restaurant to be very clean, great service, the mannerism from walking in the door until our departure was a great dining experience. The food was awesome. Also we had to make reservation from 8 and a reservation for four but I added a special note for service letting them know we were one party and when we arrived they had us set up for a party of twelve. Some of our party was late but our server constantly checked on our needs until our full party came. The food was hot and timely. Thanks for the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North, Meet South!AnibirdDined on 1/18/2014Good ol' Southern style cuisine. The BBQ sauce is great, ribs were dry rubbed and really meaty. Food came out quickly, server was attentive. The only shortcoming was the lack of anything even remotely "light" particularly for sides. Coleslaw and collard greens were lonely amongst mac n cheese, fries, potato salad, cheese grits, cornbread...I know it's a BBQ place and not a health food store, but would've like one or two more choices. A small thing, overall a good casual place to get some good ol' comfort food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT southern chicken caesar saladOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/8/2014First time back since it was Big Bubbas BBQ. Ordered the southern chicken caesar salad. I ordered with the dressing on the side and actually used hot sauce as the dressing. IT WAS HUGE and it was very tasty...I LOVED It, thanks.Special Features:
- The food was very dry andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013The food was very dry and the ribs had a lot of cartilage and were barely edible. I will never go back and I will give my honest opinion that this is one of the worst food experiences I have had in years. You can't cover up completely dried out brisket and ribs with sauce.
- New Years evePepitoDined on 12/31/2013Had a great waitress and the food was terrific Didn't feel rushed revving though very busy ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013Virgil's is a great BBQ with excellent service & good atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delightful SurprisemaggieDined on 12/8/2013We loved the food, it came out the kitchen hot and fast. Certainly plenty, enuf to take home. Brisket was fork tender, pulled items great. Would pass on pulled chicken because pulled pork was so good and both not needed. Coleslaw nice combination and mac & cheese awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under the speakersBagladyDined on 11/30/2013We had a great time eating there but sat in the far corner under the speakers which made it a bit hard to carry on a conversation. Overall, everything else was very enjoyable. A great wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Casino Dininghland33Dined on 11/30/2013Anyone who has been to Mohegan Sun knows that the crowds are overwhelming and the hustle and bustle is everpresent. As driving to an "off site" restaurant is really a drag, finding a place at the casion that is not going to bankrupt you while providing very good food is essential. Virgil's fulfills this need very well.Special Features:
- Great luck at casinoCOLDturkeyDined on 11/28/2013Mohegan Sun offered a special Turkey Dinner to those who visited on Thursday, Our Thanksgiving dinner at Virgil's was delivered to the table missing the mashed potatoes, the string beans were lightly burned, the dinner returned to the kitchen and returned ten minute's later, now the mashed potatoes were hot, but the kitchen server returned the original meal now very cold, the burned beans never replaced. Needless to say the dinner went again for good. The server "Billy" was gracious and thoughtful, we talked about how nice he was as we ate our Thanksgiving Dinner of Chinese Food at home. Virgil's cooks up absolutely delicious Barbeque ,,,they should stick to what they are great at ! Rated 2 sad faces :( :( on this Turkey day !Special Features:
- overall good bbqOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/28/2013The bbq is really exceptional. great flavor and not just drenched in sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good stuffVirgilfanDined on 11/23/2013I have been to Virgil's in New York City and was excited to go to Virgil's at Mohegan sun I raved about them to friends and explained how good the barbecue is. I recommend this place to anyone that likes delicious BBQ and healthy portions to boot It gets an a+ rating with me and everyone I'm my dinner partySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceCTfoodieVIPDined on 11/17/2013The staff was great and friendly and the food service very quick. It's one of those places we tried to see what the deal is with different barbeque especially being from the north east, but probably won't go back. If you really like BBQ or are curious, go for it. You won't be disappointed in the portions, servings or flavor but it is heavy food. Be prepared to walk it off after.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/10/2013Booked a table before a concert. Service was great. Got in and out in plenty of timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was excellent. FastVallieDined on 11/10/2013Service was excellent. Fast and friendly. Food was good but was a lot. Ribs a little oily but all good. Made for a great night out overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.