222 E. 4th Ave.
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.viognierrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6506853727x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner served Monday through Saturday evenings from 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Aquino
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Bi-Monthly wine dinners available.
Call restaurant for details.
A word from Viognier
Viognier (vee-ohn-YAY ~ Refined, Elegant, Relaxed) is one of the Peninsula's premier restaurants. Named after the French grape variety that has enjoyed so much success in California, Viognier is a restaurant for all occasions. Chef Chris Aquino offers a sensational California inspired menu utilizing the abundance of fresh, local, and sustainable produce available. Like California itself, his straightforward cuisine showcases the flavors and styles from around the world and close to home. Our Sommelier has compiled a list of over 1500 wines from around the world to match with any dish or occasion. Service is knowledgeable and attentive to every need. Come relax and allow our staff pamper you and deliver an exceptional dinning experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Viognier - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Viognier reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (45)fit for foodies (35)notable wine list (34)romantic (33)neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (9)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/12/2014The new chef has added great food items, and the staff is very attentive. Viognier is a wonderful restaurant to have a special dinner or even a weekly treat of amazing food. The fixed price menu with the wine paring is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chickVIPDined on 9/4/2014Fantastic service, attentive staff,a great place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, new decor neededOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014My wife and I came here for our anniversary. We were very impressed with the food and service. The staff answered any weird question we had and were very attentive. I would love to give them 5 stars all around but the decor feels like a hotel restaurant, booths with floral print, wooden and wicker chairs. A little modernization would go a long way to making it a great romantic restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MudslideVIPDined on 8/28/2014Our favorite restaurant. Professional, friendly service and superb food. We had the 3 course prix fixe with the wine pairings. Every course was beautifully presented and masterfully prepared. The next day my wife and I were still raving about how good everything was. Best fine dining restaurant on the Peninsula.Special Features:
- FusionphanDined on 8/27/2014A very fine dining experience in the heart of San Mateo. Bundled 3,4, or 5 course meal + a la carte option allows you to control your appetite and protect your wallet. Menu, ambiance, service of the highest quality. Plenty of room between tables so you won't feel hemmed in.Special Features:
- Excellent fine dining experienceNeensDined on 8/26/2014The menu was varied enough to accommodate palates of all adventure levels. Offering 3, 4, and 5 course menus as well as a la carte items, you can indulge as little or as much as you'd like. Our server was excellent. I asked him for suggestions and he provided me with great choices, rather than giving me a half-hearted "everything is good" answer. The food was well paced. I ordered the 4 course and my wife chose the 3 course. Our server re-ordered my courses so they coincided with my wife's and even provided my wife with a palate cleanser during the one course I had that she didn't. This is the type of attention to detail you get here.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014Not a bad thing to say. Food was timely, well done, and staff was excellent.Special Features:
- DissapointedJimSDined on 8/15/2014Hadn't been here for several years, but we had a special occasion so thought it would be fun. For the price, it should have been outstanding, but was far from it. Why? - Despite being ~25% full on a friday night, we were seated in a dark area right next to another group - It took a loonnnnggg time to get menus, wait for courses, etc. - Most of the dishes were "meh" - the hanger steak was VERY tough and hard to chew, the ravioli was a weird composition with tough mushroom stems and poorly prepped baby artichokes that still had tough leaves on them. The desserts were overly ambitious, with way too many components on each plate. - The total tab for 4 was $360 with tip. For $90/person, it should have been outstanding, but wasn't even close.
- Viognier in downtown San Mateoecm94402Dined on 8/15/2014An especially fine restaurant that takes cuisine very seriously. Our three course meal was absolutely superb, as was the wine and the service from start to finish. San Mateo is fortunate to have such a superb restaurant.Special Features:
- Special OccasionsPeninsulaFoodieDined on 8/15/2014We've been going to Viognier to celebrate special occasions for fifteen years and it continues to please with excellent service and delicious food. They make every effort to make our visits special and we really appreciate it. We had a three course dinner and enjoyed both an amuse bouche before the meal, special items to celebrate at dessert and a little sweet touch with the coffee. My husband declared the Blistered Tomato Bisque the best soup he'd ever had and we all thought the seafood was amazing. We look forward to coming again for our next special night out.Special Features:
- Wow! Yum.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/12/2014Best dinner in a long time. Outstanding food! Great service.Special Features:
- celebrate good timesBDdiningDined on 8/12/2014We come to Viognier for celebrations such as birthdays, graduations. We'll be back next year. We usually have the fixed meal with a variety to choose from. I don't drink but had a sip of the best sparkling wine. Thank you for your high quality service, delicious food choices, and attention to detail. Even the take out food was packaged with care and a design eye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice special occasion placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/2/2014Fine dining, quiet, romantic, but not "stuffy". A perfect place for a special occasion dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, excellent service!RobertCDined on 8/1/2014Went here for a celebratory dinner and it was perfect. Quiet and classy without being stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pizzaloverpizzaloverDined on 8/1/2014Located above a very upscale grocery (and much more) store, this restaurant has become one of my very favorites. The service is outstanding, very attentive, but not over bearing. The food was gourmet. From the pork belly appetizers and the vichyssoise, to the plank steak and chocolate mousse, everything was delicious. I recommend the wine pairing (additional $29 per person) - the sommelier was open to our suggestions for tasting a few different wine pairs. Not the cheapest restaurant, but very much worth the price.Special Features:
- You can't go wrongsfliverVIPDined on 7/25/2014My sister-in-law flew in from NYC. Just the way you need to have bagels out in NYC, having Mexican food always tops her must-have list for trips out West. And now we have another item - eating at Viognier. We had the bone marrow, the avocado salad, the cod (get the cod!), steak, goat cheese cheesecake and deconstructed citrus tart. The flavor explosion of each dish was so unexpected and enormously enjoyable. Impeccable service and a nice wine pairing rounded out the experience. Awesome restaurant in San Mateo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!GingerDined on 7/23/2014Ten stars! They really made us feel special at our anniversary dinner. Amazing food and wonderful hospitality. Will definitely return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Viognier ReivewOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/18/2014Great food and beautiful presentation, excellent services. Really great restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Viogner is GreatDGarthDined on 7/10/2014I've taken many a visitor who is taking a red-eye out of SFO to Voigner for a dinner before the flight. A quality meal, great ambiance and the service has always been superb. All that plus the prices are very reasonable for the meal and service. I highly recommend this as a destination restaurant. It's uniqueness (it's in Draeger's food store and next to a cooking school) is very much part of the charm. Parking is very much available here.Special Features:
- Uncrowded EcstasyjohnandpopDined on 7/9/2014It is important to understand that there was only one other table with occupants during our stay. Ergo, it was delightfully quiet, even though they seated the two table adjacent to each other so as to economize on the servicing needs. Objective obtained. The food was delicious and presented with the right amount of presentation. We lacked for nothing - which should have been the case based on the prices and site activity. One downer. A hanger steak ordered with the request to cook it medium came out bleeding. It was promptly taken back and cooked perfectly. Meanwhile, however, I was eating my (perfectly cooked) meal by myself.Special Features:
- Could use a good polishingJohnDoughVIPDined on 6/20/2014Some finer details need to be addressed and the staff could make some more professional improvements. Portions are adequate and most of the plates were very beautifully presented. However, I think we had higher expectations going in based on the previous reviews but were let down by other factors in the overall experience. Not in a hurry to return.Special Features:
- Viognier was a great spotSandyDined on 6/18/2014I took clients to Viognier, and we had an excellent dinner - service was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/17/2014Expensive for what you get. Tries too hard, yet misses basic. Eg cheese plate, smothered with cheap strawberry jam. Amuse bouche... cracker with some prosciutto. Strives to be more than it is and price points are not that friendly
- 5-course menu was more than plentyLisaLDined on 6/16/2014Celebrated my husband's birthday there. We both had the 5-course tasting menu w/out wine pairing. The meal was delicious & nicely presented although there was a disconnect between the 1st 2 and next 2 dishes. The peas & fava salad (my husband opted for the smoked pork belly) & the baby octopus were light & sophisticated while the sweetbread pot pie & rabbit roulade were hearty & more down to earth. The hazelnut mousse feuilletine was to die for - it looked & tasted way better than its description. (Compliments to the pastry chef - relieved that Viognier doesn't supply Draeger's pastry section because the macarons there look like amateur rejects!). Nice ambiance, good food, attentive service w/out airs. Will definitely return for an encore.Special Features:
- WONDERFULSPECIALEVENINGDined on 6/14/2014We had a terrific time...Justin was our waiter and he was soooo very attentive and helpful. I had the wine pairing and enjoyed each glass and also the "background" of each wine. I have recommended this restaurant to many people already and will continue to spread the "word".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousMEL45Dined on 6/14/2014The staff and food was outstanding!! The staff made our dinner birthday celebration very specical and romantic, every detail was well done. Personalized menu address, flowers, fireplace ambiance, and spectacular food and wine pairing. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely good! High Recommended!luv4roseDined on 6/12/2014Delicate foods and outstanding service make Viognier the best in my list. Appetizer avocado was unforgettable. The soup base of Meatball Soup were amazing. The flavor and meat of prawns were really nice. Quail was a surprise. The flavor of cheeses were impressive. The sommoilier was really sharp and knew her wine list well. She did a tremendous job! Will be back.Special Features:
- We'll be back!GG2014Dined on 6/10/2014Voignier is a great restaurant with an attentive, professional staff, and on the fancier side. We are from out of town and needed someplace to meet with clients for dinner. Voignier was recommended to us by my brother. Our clients are local and said they will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Dinner for 2Mags2476Dined on 6/4/2014Great service, not over the top interfering with the meal. Food was delicious and delivered in a perfectly timed fashion. Would definitely return for what I thought was a very fairly priced meal.Special Features:
- Special OccasionQueenieDined on 6/2/2014We came here for my birthday on a Monday night. They never fail to please. Each dish is a visual and tasty masterpiece. This is our go to place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 651 reviews are from the Viognier reviews archive.
- Wonderful ExperiencekonkymonkyDined on 5/30/2014I brought my girlfriend here for a surprise birthday dinner. I let the restaurant know beforehand it would be her birthday, but I did not expect them to have a special menu expressing Happy Birthday to her! They even rolled it up and gave it to her to take home at the end of the night. The wait staff was very knowledgeable about the wine pairings for each of the courses. We got the 3-course prix fixe, and we were very satisfied. The pricing was very reasonable, also. I'd recommend anyone to come here for a nice dinner or a special occasion! I'll be going back when I'm in town.Special Features:
- Great romantic restaurantpastafiendDined on 5/30/2014I took my wife to Viognier for our 10th anniversary and it was outstanding. I put a note in the Open Table reservation that it was our 10th anniversary (but did not ask for anything special). They seated us at the table in front of the fire place and hand "Happy 10th Anniversary" printed on the menus for us to take home. The service was outstanding and the food was exquisite. We will definitely be coming back here again. The only disappointing thing about the evening was that we waited so many years to try the restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellence in San MateoJMPetitVIPDined on 5/24/2014This restaurant should be in the Michelin guide for Northern California.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedMonsieurDined on 5/22/2014Food was very expensive @ $200/couple (prix fix); menu was confusing -- can order prix fix or items individually, but the menu doesn't list prices . . . The choices were unclear. Food was not exceptional; the presentation seemed more important than the freshness and quality. Chairs were not comfortable for leisurely dining. Staff was the highlight -- communicative mgr, attentive staff, knowledgeable server. Regrettable that Draegers is not keeping up with Bay area quality and freshness. Unfortunate. Lunch used to be the highlight at Draegers; they have eliminated it.Special Features:
- ctgmjgDined on 5/20/2014Intriguing menu with creative aspects from the Chef. The tasting menu with wine pairings are varied so the customer has a pick of many different items to tailor to their taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie Girls Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014Delicious food and nice ambiance. I met a friend who I hadn't seen for years and the intimate setting was very nice for catching up on some personal news. We enjoyed everything we ate as well as the wine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014disappointing compare with 15 years ago in food quality
- Fantastic birthday dinner!SFDinerDined on 5/9/2014My husband and I were celebrating our birthdays (same day), and I happened to note this in the comment section when making the reservation, not knowing what would happen. Viognier exceeded my expectations with the special touches they added, and the service was impeccable. We will definitely be back, and will highly recommend for special occasions!Special Features:
- Upswingethana21VIPDined on 5/6/2014This restaurant has had ups and downs in its service forever. Right now it is pretty good although wine service was sometimes delinquent. The food has always been very good, imaginatively created ad executed. This time the flounder was surprisingly thick but perfectly cooked, moist and flaky. The wine list is remarkable for its multiple verticals of French and California wines, but--Oh! what prices! $25 corkage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- asdfghjkl12345Dined on 4/26/2014Overall, a great dining experience with absolutely amazing visual appeal. We went here for a birthday and "Happy Birthday" was printed on the menu and they gave us a birthday dessert: chocolate pudding, marshmallows, and graham crumbles. Delicious! Every dish was presented beautifully. They were all delicious except the flounder wasn't very tender and was way too salty. Scallops were perfect! The sommelier was very knowledgable and was very gracious when we requested a different wine after tasting the one we had decided upon. Service was wonderful and it was quiet, but not too quiet. A glass was shattered though, which you wouldn't expect from a high-end restaurant and the steak knife was impossible to cut with. Great evening, will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.