Vinz Wine Bar
201 E. Grand Ave. # 1A
Escondido, CA 92025Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Vinz Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vinzwinebar.net/
- Phone: 7607438466
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Tapas / Small Plates, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Vinnie Griffin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Custom catering to order, or from our wine bar menu we also offer sandwich deli platters, large salads bowls with our unique Maria salad, and homemade country or German potato salad.
- Private Party Facilities: Our lounge can accommodate private parties from 12 to 60 quests, with a custom food and beverage menu.The room can be decorated to any holiday or birthday theme, as well as business meeting room.
- Private Party Contact: Vinnie Griffin 7607438466
- Entertainment: Vinz’ offers an intimate, candlelit dining room with live music and dance floor. Jazz, blues and classic rock duos and bands. Local musicians include, the lively duo of Jimmy Patton and Enrique, Bill Magee blues band, flamenco and jazz guitar duo Notas Antiquas, and classic rock guitar band Mariner.
A word from Vinz Wine Bar
Vinz is a casual elegant wine bar, located in quaint, historic, downtown Escondido. Imaginative and eclectic wine menu, offering 45 wines by the glass including champagne and sparkling wines, as well as themed wine flights to entice your taste buds. Vinz’ offers draft beer and an ever growing extensive beer list, to endure all palates. Our menu offers a variety of wine influenced tapas and specialty entrees, inventive salads, with homemade dressings and farmer market fruit and vegetables. Vinz is a true family affair, from the old, Italian family recipes that inspire many menu items, to the friendly, family atmosphere inspired by owner’s Vinnie and Machelle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vinz Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (3)great for outdoor dining (3)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- Bland and boringOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/9/2014No flavor. No technique. Poor ingredients. Lots of octogenarians in the building, which likely explains why this place is in business despite my first three statements--the food probably tastes great to grandma's medication-blown palette, but stay away if you're looking for great food. Beer and wine selections were great. Service was acceptable.
- Cozy, corner wine and tapas barJoesOsDined on 6/26/2014Vinz pairs vibrant, amiable service with a tasty Mediterranean menu. While the wine list was not up to the standards I held for Vinz, the geographic diversity was moderate and their by-the-glass selections would complement their menu offerings adequately. On a Thursday night, the place had emptied out by 9:30pm, which I personally don't mind, but could potentially deter a patron looking for a livelier venue. They offer daily drink and food specials along with musical guests on Fridays and (I think) Saturdays. It's not Vincent's, but it's a friendly, casual spot for a first date, a gathering of friends, or an after-work bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MicheleVIPDined on 6/21/2014The salmon and cucumber appetizer was phenomenal!!!!! Service was great as well.Special Features:
- Nice lunch, but...CaloriDined on 6/15/2014The service was very accommodating to our requests. The food was good enough, however a touch high in price. Vinegarette dressing seemed to contain no oil of any kind. May I vent for a sec... Is everyone watering down their salad dressing these days? Three times in the last week I have received salads with watered down dressing or virtually devoid of oil. One was a place I frequent so I know this is a change from how it has been done in the past. Was there a piece in the industry trade on how to reduce expenses?
- ThanksAnonymousVIPDined on 6/14/2014Michael helped us navigate the menu & make great choices. As always, food was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!DisappointedDined on 6/6/2014Service was marginal but they were busy so can rationalize that. Ordered a glass of their Reisling and it tasted a bit stale, must have been an unpopular vintage that sat around for a while. Had the fish and chips and it tasted like it had been reheated, burnt taste and cool on the inside.Special Features:
- Disappointeddkms15VIPDined on 4/29/2014A very limited menu and fairly high prices considering the atmosphere, which was very, very casual and frankly, a bit dumpy. I expected more. On the plus side, the service was friendly.
- The following 30 reviews are from the Vinz Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Great foodpepperchiaraDined on 3/30/2014The food was amazing! Sooo good we could overlook the mediocre service (once our food came our server never checked on us) and the mediocre wine list, seemed very narrow.Special Features:
- Dog friendlySylviaVIPDined on 3/30/2014Vinz is good cuz they have a dog-friendly patio and decent food. Somehow our server did not know until 20 minutes after we ordered that their deli is closed on Sundays. He also did not know the names of the items on the menu. But, other than that, it was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What to expectAnonymousVIPDined on 3/28/2014This is a v busy place. Lots of people having a good time with a staff stretching to take care of them. Food was excellent. Good pub food & beyond. I had a lobster salad that far exceeded my expectations. This is a great meet place for friends but it is noisy, it is busy & hectic. They aim to please but it is a busy bar & fun food place not fine dining. And they seemed to have much stepped up their game from the last time, several years ago, we visited. It's busy & fun now not total chaos with cranky staff. Definitely worth a try. You'll have lots of company in a congenial atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was in SD on business andBlondeeDined on 1/22/2014I was in SD on business and came there to meet a long time friend. They stated how much they loved the food. I was very disappointed in the over cooked dried out wings. They tasted like they were made days before then put in a microwave.
- Nice local restaurantSanDiegokenDined on 1/18/2014Have been here several times. Good food, friendly staff, but sometimes disorganized. Had to wait 15 minutes for table to be prepared even though we made a reservation. Food is good, but when they're busy, it can get spotty - one member of our group had to send a lasagna dish back because the middle was cold/undercooked. All in all though, like the restaurant and its menu and will continue dining here.Special Features:
- Love VINZ!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013The hottest spot in Escondido! Food fit for a foodie! We had 15 people, separate checks, easily accommodated by wait staff. Outstanding service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceBigJerDined on 12/6/2013Starting with the service, then the food, private room, great luncheon meeting experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's the clams?Porshas2Dined on 11/1/2013We ordered the nights special, clam flat bread. Sort of a flat bread pizza. It had a number of toppings on it, but claims weren't one of them. Vin, the owner, stopped by the table as he usually does, asked how things were and we pointed out the absence of clams. He looked over our plates then headed to the kitchen. When he returned he had a plate of oyster shooters to make up for the fact that the cook had forgotten the clams. It was good without the clams and the oysters helped, but we'll have to wait for another time for the clam flat bread.Special Features:
- 2nd time not a charmJeffTVIPDined on 6/8/2013This is the second time we tried the place and does the service is good and the food sounds great it is lackluster and not very flavorful. Did you have a variety of lines in the bar and prices are reasonably good but the food just doesn't cut it. A lot of people are getting the pizza which seems to be the best thing to get as the other food I tried which is equivalent to about six different dishes did not have the seasoning needed to make it worth the price.Special Features:
- Very disappointing! SeveralOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/5/2013Very disappointing! Several open tables outside but was told our reservation was inside. Taken to the table and waited almost ten minutes for our server to come. No one showed up and it was obvious we were not going to have a pleasant experience so we departed. The person was we think was supposed to be our server never made our eye contact with us nor tried to explain the delay. To be fair, she seemed overwhelmed....this was a management issue of understaffing. Went to Entertwined Restaurant down the street and had a great meal and wonderful experience . We will not go back to Vinz...Special Features:
- Nice open space you wouldn'tJeffTVIPDined on 3/22/2013Nice open space you wouldn't expect from looking from the outside. A bit chilly inside, so wear a sweater. Friendly staff. A bit pricey for wine bites for what you get, though the amount of salmon used on their app was a good amount. Interesting combination of European food. I liked also that they put the name sign of who had booked on Opentable, so you didn't have to wait for a table.Special Features:
- This is a neighbor hood favorite!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/18/2013This is a neighbor hood favorite!! The food and service is always wonderful!!Special Features:
- Noisy, raucous bar scene.DrAlanDined on 2/15/2013Noisy, raucous bar scene. A few tables in bar area. Food was good, not great. It was the day after Valentine's Day, but the holiday menu was the only one being used, which meant that most of their regular menu was not available. It was our first time there. This is not a place for a nice, quiet dinner - it's a great place to meet friends, drink, laugh (loudly) have bar bites and enjoy the evening. It would have been nice to know in advance that their menu was limited.Special Features:
- Great wine list and some niceWDG211VIPDined on 1/11/2013Great wine list and some nice menu items make it a fun night out.Special Features:
- They lost our food ticketOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/10/2013They lost our food ticket and so we had to order twice. Then food came out bad for many reasons; portions were tiny on sweet potato fries. Laughed at that, but it was pathetic. Salad was full of water or juice and swimming.Special Features:
- This restaurant/wine bar isOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/29/2012This restaurant/wine bar is very convenient to the California Center for the Performing Arts. It's a great place to stop in before or after a performance. The staff was friendly and welcoming. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- The past couple of trips toBrendaPJDined on 11/24/2012The past couple of trips to Vinz have made me less enthusiastic. The food is good, not great. But, because it is locally owned/operated I continue to go there. However, I would like to see them make a few changes on the menu, and include local, sustainable, seasonal fair.Special Features:
- cute place. overpriced foodDanaVIPDined on 8/21/2012cute place. overpriced food that is not all that great.Special Features:
- Staff is always friendly andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2012Staff is always friendly and they aren't in a hurry to get you in and out!Special Features:
- Reservation Failure - AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2012Great place to meet and eat but they have screwed our reservation pretty much every time. I specifically request an outside table when booking via Opentable but this wasn't acknowledged, even though my message was on the screen when I checked in. Not good enough. Love the place, the beers, wine, appetizers and pizza but they've made mistakes with both my and friends' reservations too frequently. C'mon Vinz - Tango is snapping at your heels!
- Chef - stretch those skills!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012Vinz could be outstanding if the chef gave more effort on execution. The menu is written very well and the flavors are great combos. However, the actual plates don't follow through. Pate and cheese plate (B-): server should have reviewed what was offered (as the menu didn't). 1 of the cheese was dried out and tasted like the fridge. Lasagne (C+): I counted 13 lasagne sheets and almost no filing. Dried oregano in sauce and little cheese - EW! This is the green belt of SoCal, use fresh ingredients! Free creme brulee (A+): homemade, rich and delish. Phyllo-wrapped goat cheese (A): chop those pistachios into fine dust and it would be perfect. Also - ditch the smoking outside, traffic smog is bad enough to deal with when eating.
- Nice neighborhood place.PaulSVIPDined on 6/2/2012Nice neighborhood place. The service is friendly and attentive. They have a great selection of wines by the glass. The Pizza was very good and the burgers were done to our liking. Definitely will visit again.Special Features:
- Fantastic Oyster ShootersOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/20/2012My wife and i made reservations, arrive on time and were seated promptly. We started with probably the best oysters I've ever had in Vinz' scrumptious shooters. Cruising Grand on Friday night in full force kept this cozy wine bar filled with patrons and the noise of happy patrons and the rumble and exhaust smell of passing classic cars. My wife's burger was delicious though a bit under the medium she ordered. My chicken parmesan was ample, juicy and tender with a nice crust and tasty marinara sauce. Service was slow and inattentive but the place was pretty crowded. The total bill was rather high relative to the service and quality of food. We will definately be back for the oysters!Special Features:
- Locals Love This Place!ElaineDined on 4/6/2012Casual atmosphere, pretty noisy when busy. The food is fresh and good (pizzas are especially nice) though it would be nice to see more entrees on their menu. Everything from food to beverages is priced right for a place like this and the locals seem to love it. Try happy hour for half-priced wines and small plates. Tip: during the summer months when Cruisin' Grand starts up on Friday nights, you might want to make a reservation.Special Features:
- Great for Friday nights inPorshas2Dined on 3/30/2012Great for Friday nights in Summer for Crusin' Grand. Vinnie is a great host!Special Features:
- Although food was great- theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/25/2012Although food was great- the place lacks some ambiance and warmth.Special Features:
- Local GemEscSteveDined on 2/19/2012It takes a combination of food, service, ambiance to make a place click. Vinz has it. I lived in Escondido a long time and was pleased to find that Vinz can give Escondido some actual "character"Special Features:
- This was a list minute dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/4/2012This was a list minute dinner choice as i was in town for the night with my son and all he wanted was a hamburger. I'm a wine guy so thought it would be a good, easy choice and it was. The menu (for a tapas/wine bar) was not very adventurous but the food was solid and the wine I chose (at a reasonable $8.00/glass) was excellent. My only quibble was that after arriving at the restaurant I was told we had two options on where to sit, in the back where there was loud live music playing or eat in the dining room providing we left in 45 minutes because the table was reserved for someone else. Considering I had a reservation too I consider this unfair and it should have been made clear at the time of booking that our table was in the back.Special Features:
- We had a very enjoyable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/27/2012We had a very enjoyable meal at Vinz. Started with their special appetizer of the day.. Proscuitto wrapped asparagus which our server highly recommended. She was spot on! It was very tasty and perfect for the 4 of us to share. We can always count on Vinz salads to be fabulous and this night we were not disappointed. Fresh, and full of interesting flavors with homemade dressings. The 4 of use got 2 salads and split them. OUr entrees were very good, but one of the Flat Iron steaks was undercooked. The fish special was amazing, covered in a tomato based ragout with lots of garlic. Yummmm. We were made to wait a bit longer than we liked for our server to get to us but the Magician going around from table to table was fun.Special Features:
- Pizza was great. Place wasn'tJImmyDined on 12/31/2011Pizza was great. Place wasn't exactly what we expected but liked it anyway.Special Features: