1900 Governor's Pointe Drive
Suffolk, VA 23436Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vintagetavernvirginia.com/
- Phone: 7572388808x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - until
(we open at 4:30pm on Sundays for supper to 8:00)
2nd Sunday of Each Month Brunch
Closed on Mondays
Full service is also available in the Tavern Bar at 5:00
The whole restaurant is non-smoking. Smoking is permitted outside.
We are Closed Mondays- please visit our sister restaurant River Stone Chophouse.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Joe Steinert, Kenny Reynolds
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Vintage Tavern offers an intimate setting in an upstairs private room that will host up to 50 guests seated or standing for your special event.
Great for business dinners and presentations as well as festive dining.
Vintage Tavern offers during weather conducive months our Garden Terrace for Cocktail Events and Wedding Ceremonies for groups up to 50 guests.
Vintage Tavern's Veranda offers Outside Dining and Cocktail for groups up to 30 guests.
For Larger Groups please inquire about our sister restaurant River Stone Chophouse located 10 minutes from Vintage Tavern.
Please contact Kati Newman to help with all the details in planning your event. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Kati Newman 757-724-9888x
- Special Events: ~Happy Hour in the Tavern from 5pm to 6pm Tuesday through Friday.
~Co-Hosting Passion for Paws Picnic and Whisker's Wine Tasting for the Suffolk Human Society at our sister restaurant River Stone Chophouse. Call for details- Tickets sold at Vintage Tavern.
~Date Night- Last Wed of Each Month- Three Course Pre-Fixe Menu with a Select Bottle of Wine- $99 per couple.
~Prime Rib Night Every Thursday
~Sunday Cellar-bration - Discount Select Wine List.
"'Taste of the Tavern Beer Dinner" Sept. 20th Reservations required.
A word from Vintage Tavern
Now open since April, 2006, Vintage Tavern at Governor's Point.. Located in the hunting and fishing community of Northern Suffolk, Virginia the restaurant features 'Seasonally Southern' fare. The menu highlights the best of local and regional Southern dishes and recreates them with authenticity and passion. We are committed to maintaining the food history and culture that makes our community so special. Other features include a dramatic open kitchen, two dining areas both with fireplaces, an outdoor fire pit, outdoor dining on the covered veranda and a 400 plus selection wine list. The perfect place to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or any special occasion.Continued
Voted #1 by Hampton Roads magazine 2013 Platinum Plate Awards. Recognized by Open Table as one of America's Top 50 Restaurants in 2009 and 2010, and by Sante magazine for Wine Hospitality in 2010.
Voted #1 by Hampton Roads magazine 2013 Platinum Plate Awards. Recognized by Open Table as one of America's Top 50 Restaurants in 2009 and 2010, and by Sante magazine for Wine Hospitality in 2010.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Vintage Tavern - Best Restaurants in Suffolk ›
Vintage Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (63)romantic (43)notable wine list (39)fit for foodies (34)neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (18)scenic view (17)good for groups (13)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Our spot for serious occasions.EpicureanDined on 9/26/2014Excellent for serious dinning for two, or a large group + mtgs.Special Features:
- love itfood4jackpineDined on 9/25/2014I've eaten lots of places around the world and our country. Vintage Tavern food, ambiance and service are right up there with the best New York City restaurants, except easier parking and more room.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Everything was great. The service was good but our server was to busy with other guests and we were forgotten for a while. We have been here several times and every time was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experienceusmc123Dined on 9/13/2014A bit pricey, but worth it. Reserve for your special occasions. I took my wife there for our anniversery and she was very happy with the choice. A very good wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was greatasperjackDined on 9/13/2014Everyone in Hampton Roads should try this place at least once for a special occasion, and our outstanding server Thomas told us they do have very reasonable happy hour specials as well. Highly recommend the boxed-in appetizer at the top of the menu (something like southern plate), and add the pimento cheese for $3. I was not excited about the pimento cheese until I tried it - it's so good; I recommend trying it with the fruit preserves. Also my wife and I had the best dirty martini ever - the Tavern Tini. Comes nice and dirty with olives stuffed with bleu cheese AND bacon (this beat out our previous favorite dirty martini at Shula's in Norfolk). My bison ribeye (a special) was cooked perfectly medium rare. Corn ice cream too!Special Features:
- Evening at the Vintage TavernGoHoosDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I met a friend and his girl friend from Richmond at the restaurant. He was my best friend in high school ( which was a long time ago) so we spent time catching up and swapping lies. Fortunately, the wait staff was patient with us. When we finally got around to ordering our server made some good recommendations. Overall, our meals were outstanding. We particular appreciated the excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Start, Bit of a StumbleServiceIsKeyDined on 8/30/2014We usually go here once in a while for special occasions and this was no exception. Waiter started out great, but he faded away as the night went on and he picked up some large tables. All the food and wine was great, and the manager (I'm guessing) Elisabeth, did a table check in with us, and I let her know that our waiter was nowhere to be found. Anyway, she was terrific and basically took over our service at that point. Excellent work. Food was outstanding. My wife had the flounder special and was probably one of the better pieces of fish we have either had in years. I had the rib eye and it had rich flavor as well. Great place. Would go their more often if closer. Worth the trip for certain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingCharlieeeDined on 8/27/2014Had a wonderful time with my family... Everyone's food was exceptional and the ambiance was perfect. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- muddlemuddledDined on 8/23/2014I had the seafood muddle and was not totally impressed with the taste of this entree. With exception of the soft shelled crab the dish was somewhat bland and salty tasting. Others in my party had flounder and tenderloin and those we very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aquadaddyDined on 8/22/2014Our table was ready and available at the time we arrived. Tosha our waitress greeted us and paced us evenly and accurately through our dinner and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30th birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014My family and I have dining at the tavern for a few years now and it was choice for special occasions. However this last visit has changed our minds. We spent $700 and received below par service. The bar was very slow and after we were finished with our meal it took our sever almost 50 minutes to bring us our check! I am aware this is slow meal, enjoy each course type of restaurant however that amount of time was just plan rude. On top of that we waited so long that we forgot the server never brought back our leftovers boxed up. Our food was wonderful as always but next time we plan on celebrating our money will probably spent else where.Special Features:
- Very nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Came from a friend's recommendation. Excellent service all round. The server and the owner really knew their menu, wine list etc...very, very impressive. The food arrived on time and was delicious...our party of 4 where all delighted. A very good evening in a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great eveningJK19Dined on 8/16/2014We have enjoyed coming to the Vintage Tavern for years and they continue to impress. We always plan a trip during August as it is "crab month" and a personal favorite. The chef special of chile crab was fantastic and the service was great (attentive but not intrusive). It is a nice touch that the manager always finds time to stop by to introduce herself and check on us. If you haven't tried the back patio for dinner you are missing out!Special Features:
- Classy DiningSouthernbelle1Dined on 8/10/2014Wonderful high end restaurant. Great food with a romantic atmosphere. Also great for special events such as weddings and receptions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tad bit snooty...Blanch815VIPDined on 8/8/2014Went here for a late Friday night dinner. The place was pretty empty and had a very intriguing limited menu. Unfortunately most items currently available didn't mesh well with my lactose intolerant diet, so I ordered a fried crab sandwich — which was a featured special appetizer. When I ordered, the waitress looked at me like I was crazy, ordering an appetizer for dinner. She expected me to continue ordering and I had to clarify that I wanted the sandwiches for dinner. She looked shocked and disgusted. She then asked if I wanted my meal to come out with my friend's soup or with her entree. Really? In the end I even had leftovers and still managed to spend nearly $30 on my one-person "appetizer" meal (i just had iced tea to drink, too).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Service was outstanding and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Surprisingly disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Mix up with reservations started the evening off poorly. Service this time around was pretty bad. Not the waiter's fault, but the kitchen was extremely slow. We had to wait 20-25 minutes for dessert- ice cream and creme brulee. Main course wait was as long if not longer. Manager did come by and apologize for the delay and offered us a gift card to use whenever we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous ServicelickrynnDined on 8/1/2014This was our second time visiting and we had a wonderful experience. Service was excellent, even when we had to return a fish dish which was not quite up the Vintage's normal standing. Everyone apologized profusely and handled the situation very professionally, bringing a new dish, wonderfully prepared and even providing a cup of delightful She-Crab Soup while we waited for the replacement. Excellent conversations with wait staff, manager and chef all dropping by our table for chats and checking on our satisfaction. Vintage Tavern deserves its reputation and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerBishopC3Dined on 7/29/2014My wife and I enjoyed the intimate and quiet dinner that we had at Vintage Tavern. The staff celebrated our special day as though they had known us for years. I have already recommended this restaurant to my friends. It was more than a meal it was an experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Vintage TavernDinneroutDined on 7/29/2014We were somewhat disappointed in our Dinner at Vintage Tavern. What was most disappointing was the chef's over abundant use of "Old Bay" seasoning. The Shrimp cocktail and the She Crab soup were both ruined by the extra generous dosing of Old Bay. The She Crab soup had so much other stuff in it as to render the crab unrecognizable. And along with the Old Bay seasoning, the spiciness of the soup was a disappointment. On the good side, we both had the Tenderloin and they perfectly prepared and very tasty. The only draw back to the Tenderloin Entre was the too generous portion of pesto sauce on the green beans. Sometimes chefs need to understand that less is better than too much.Special Features:
- Fabulous bar menuoperagirlDined on 7/25/2014The bar features the entire dinner menu so eating in the bar is such a treat. Amazing food and the staff is on point. Very friendly yet professional. The homemade ice cream is the best in Virginia. You have to try the mint chocolate chip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableNinoDined on 7/24/2014There is no doubt that we will enjoy our meal when we visit Vintage Tavern. Every experience has been positive and we look forward to repeating it every so often. Since we live a bit of a drive away, we may come for dinner only a couple of times a year, but it is one of our favorites. We like the atmosphere and the menu never disappoints. We enjoy the Southern and local flavor that is intrinsic to the menu. Meats are perfectly cooked, vegetables, too. Homemade sorbets are delightful. The staff is welcoming and friendly; just an A+ place.Special Features:
- deliciousirishdocDined on 7/12/2014We brought family here this time. My uncle.who loves his wine, was awed by their wine list. We had an incredible time. Food was.fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never had a bad mealGastroDined on 7/12/2014We are blessed in our area with a handful of outstanding restaurants and this is one of them. It's worth every penny. Along with the prompt, friendly service, the food is cooked beautifully, the wine list is interesting, the ambience is clubby and comfortable (especially in cold weather with the fire places going) with the added feature of the outdoor patio with fire pit for after dinner drinks - a rather sophisticated place that isn't the least bit snobby. My only negative comment might be that the noise level in the main dining area is a bit high but this can be solved by requesting upstairs for a more intimate experience. Lastly, a general comment on society today - shorts and flip flops at a fine dining establishment - really people?Special Features:
- Once Again a Contender!Taste4LifeDined on 7/12/2014Former loyal fans of the Vintage Tavern, we were disappointed about 3 years ago and began taking our business elsewhere. During our visit Saturday evening there was not a single thing to be criticized! Under the guidance of a new manager, the food was outstanding, the service top-notch and the surroundings elegant and spotless. The staff is wonderfully friendly and helpful without being intrusive. My wife and I enjoyed the finest dining experience we've had in years! I can't recommend it highly enough. If you haven't been there recently or never been there at all, treat yourself to one of the finest (if not the finest) restaurants in Hampton Roads.Special Features:
- Two thumbs up!diningcoupleDined on 7/11/2014The VT encapsulates the phrase "A touch of class" with its very modern design & quite comfortable ambience. The food is 1st class. I highly recommend the crab soup & Taste of the South appetizers. In previous visits, we've thoroughly enjoyed the rib eye and the duck. Our latest visit found my wife & I both ordering the "Pork plate"; despite the name, I have to say it was the best meal both of us have had in a very long time. Some minor distractions included numerous fruit flies hovering about & an error in our reserve time plus not initially meeting a table request, but they made adjustments to accomm. us w/ no problems. $$ is pretty high, so we are only able to occasion VT on the really special occasions. Our waiter Craig was the best!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014This is a great restaurant that has it all. Good food, ambience and great location. It is expensive, but worth the money. So I don't agree with the $$ rating that I saw. We are a party of three and we have never had a tab less than $300.00 after 20% tip. We've been maybe ten times. I think that they are doing themselves a disservice with the $$ rating and it is also deceiving. I travel a bit and the moment you walk into the Vintage Tavern - you know it is quite a nice restaurant. You would have to get an entrée only for the $$ to be accurate. Also, when looking for a special restaurant - I would probably skip over all of the $$ rated because I would be looking for something nicer & you would miss new customers looking for nice placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friggin deliciousdanggoodfoodDined on 7/6/2014Bison steak cooked perfectly medium rare, chef-prepared-hand-made-custom menu, outstanding flavors and timely service. I have gone back numerous times and the seasonal menu is spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptionalpickyeaterDined on 7/3/2014We have always had good meals at Vintage. Not being a seafood eater it is refreshing to see meat selections on the menu. The pork chop should be an entree of its own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special nightJK19Dined on 6/29/2014We enjoyed a date night dinner and everything was fantastic. My fiancé had the crab cakes and they were full of big lump crab meat and delicious. We particularly enjoyed the way the staff worked together. From the manager to the hostess, we had multiple people stopping by the table to see how we were and if we needed anything throughout the night. The service and food can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent again!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014We have dined at Vintage Tavern many times and Saturday's dinner did not disappoint as the food and dining experience were stellar once again as we returned with out-of-town friends. Crab bisque, crab cakes, duck and chicken/shrimp pasta dishes were scrumptious and the service impeccable, as always. This is our "very special" dining-out experience location - from the moment you walk in the door to exit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!ScotsirishDined on 6/27/2014Our first time at Vintage Tavern. The waitress was excellent, the chef came out to converse a it, the food was awesome, the ambience on the patio was perfect, and the weather was cooperative. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern charmOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014We had dinner here on a Sat night, it was pretty busy. Would recommend reservations. The service was excellent, not a huge menu but a good selection, southern influenced. The salmon special and the pig plate were both delicious. Nice atmosphere, outdoor patio too. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great experience for our 11 year aCoach1Dined on 6/21/2014My wife and I really enjoyed our time at the Vintage Tavern restaurant . It was our first time going and the food and services was outstanding . I highly recommend for everyone to experience the great atmosphere .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love it!JeffDined on 6/20/2014We have been going there every year for 4 years now as our anniversary dinner date! Never once have we had a bad meal or service. The waitress and waiters are all awesome and very attentive. The manager walks by all the time to check on the tables. I would love go more often but I love keeping this place as our anniversary spot. Don't change a thing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently a good time!SinCityMikeDined on 6/14/2014Our family members have been regulars at Vintage Tavern over the past 4 years. Virtually once every other month, a few of us are there. This past dinner was, as usual, outstanding. The weather was perfect for outside dining. We were seated on the back patio which has very nice landscaping and a water feature. Highly recommended if the weather cooperates. Our server was polite and thorough. Three of us had the Rt 17 Pig Plate (again) and it was excellent. We almost never make it to the dessert round, so I can't comment on that. If you are looking for a upscale, quite dining experience-give the Tavern a try. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!Sam1Dined on 6/13/2014The food was great! My family and I all had seafood. It was so fresh and tasted amazing!Special Features:
- Good Food, OK ServerDWarrenRMcPhersonDined on 6/13/2014We go to Vintage Tavern very often and always nice. This time, the waiter was ok but not very friendly and felt he needed to remind my boyfriend that we were in a "fine dining establishment" and needed to remove his hat...never had to remove before...it's fine, but the way he said it made it sound like we were not "worthy" to be in the restaurant when, in fact, we go all the time...the other servers, hostess, etc. have always been great so we will just ask not to have him wait in us next time. I believe that Management would want all of their guests to be comfortable and keep our patronage...guys that wear hats are friendly, spend money and leave nice tips (at least mine anyway)...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experiencepatch1103Dined on 6/13/2014Our family, totaling seven people, came here to celebrate a dual graduation/retirement. I'd heard good things about Vintage Tavern and I knew I had to try it before our impending move out of the Hampton Roads area. The restaurant itself is beautiful and has tremendous character, inside and out, and our whole experience, from beginning to end was excellent, from greeting at the door until we finished dessert and departed. The service was spot on, and the food…oh my…it was wonderful! Several of us had the crab cakes. Almost pure crab meat! Delicious! My daughter had the seared tuna. I tried a bite -- perfection!!! If I come back, and I hope I get the chance, I'll probably have to order tuna, but I doubt you can go wrong with any dish.Special Features:
- Skip the dessertSpecialoccasionDined on 6/7/2014The atmosphere was great and the server was attentive without being intrusive. The food was good but it was expensive. However, the dessert was only mediocre and the portions were small. We had the Creme Brulee, the Brownie and the Banana Pudding. They were definitely not worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.