999 Waterside Drive
Norfolk, VA 23510Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vintage-kitchen.com/
- Phone: 7576253370
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Monday - Wednesday evenings available by Appointment or Invitation Only
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Phillip Craig Thomason
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We will work within any budget and look forward to helping you plan your next event. Please contact us at 757.625.3370 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Facilities: "When Hampton Roads movers and shakers want to celebrate in style, they turn to celebrity Chef/Owner Phillip Craig Thomason of VINTAGE kitchen, one of the hottest restaurants and special event destinations in the area." -Vow Magazine. We specialize in on-site and off-site events including: Weddings, Rehearsal Dinners, Bridal Luncheons, Cocktail Receptions, Corporate Events and Catering, Pharmaceutical Programs, Office Parties, and Digital Audio Visual Web Conferencing. Featuring sweeping waterfront views of Virginia"s most famous harbor / Located conveniently within walking distance of downtown Norfolk's major hotels / 5000 sq. ft. marble lobby and tented outdoor lawn on the Elizabeth River for events of all sizes / Several private rooms offer the ability to host multiple functions simultaneously / FREE PARKING. We will work within any budget and look forward to helping you plan your next event. Please contact us at 757.625.3370 or by email at email@example.com.
- Private Party Contact: Phillip Craig Thomason 7576253370
- Cross Street: St. Paul's Boulevard
- Public Transit: Adjacent to building
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We offer FREE validated parking in an attached private garage, noted as one of Norfolk's most easily recognizable landmarks, famous for the large outdoor mural gracing the exterior of the building. Painted by the acclaimed internationally renowned artist Wyland and dedicated on August 23, 1993, the "Whaling Wall" is one of only 100 in the world. Additionally, valet services are available upon request during events.
A word from Vintage Kitchen
Featuring sweeping views of the Elizabeth River from the waterfront ballroom, terrace, and herb garden, VINTAGE KITCHEN has quickly become a community favorite. Burled wood floors, black leather benches, and the patina of a copper bar provide a relaxing and elegant setting for award-winning modern cuisine, simply prepared and stylishly presented, using the freshest local and regional produce in season, with a focus on artisan-crafted Virginia wines, cheeses, and micro-brewed beers. The area’s most discriminating clientele dine in an exclusive private library and digital theater with a backstage look into the kitchen, by appointment or invitation only, where daily 7-course bespoke tasting menus are offered graciously by hometown Chef/Owner Phillip Craig Thomason.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Vintage Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Norfolk ›
Vintage Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (16)fit for foodies (14)romantic (12)special occasion (11)notable wine list (9)good for groups (6)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (5)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Outstanding in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/11/2014We had dinner here with fellow Flag officers one night and decided to come back a second night during a recent conference. The food was outstanding. The fresh catch of the day is served with a special French preparation that has a great story shared by the Chef and was so good we had it both nights. Two others, very worldy travelers, had the Duck and both said it was the best Duck dish they had ever had. It's a little hard to find as it doesn't have a store front (in an office building), but sits right on the waterside with a great view and ambiance. The service was outstanding both nights. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- green tomatoesBurgladyVIPDined on 9/4/2014Overall it was a nice view and decent food... but don't serve green tomatoes in season!!
- Great food but sleepy ambianceFoodJediDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I wanted to try Vintage Kitchen since it always gets ranked as one of the top ten in tidewater. The food and service were great but the dark boring walls, piano music over the speakers, and the fact that we were two of the 12 total people in the restaurant at 8 p.m. on a Saturday were surefire signs that the ambiance needs some tweaking. If this is your thing, I would recommend it for the food and service but if you like a more eclectic and upbeat dining experience, I would keep it moving!Special Features:
- Great place to eat.SWD1Dined on 8/23/2014Great place to eat. Clean & spacious. Great atmosphere. Great Food. Great Drinks. Great staff. Parking validated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MY FAVORITE RESTAURANT!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014LOVE the view, LOVE the cocktails, LOVE the crab cake, the mac' and cheese, and the filet with whiskey sauce, LOVE our server, LOVE the speakeasy feel of the place (you'd never know it was here if you weren't looking for it), LOVE! Unique for Norfolk - amazing find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Lunch!!csanVIPDined on 7/29/2014I couldn't find any prices online for this restaurant, only lots of dollar signs on Opentable, Yelp & Urbanspoon. We decided to go for it anyway since it was lunch. Great decision. The Mac & Cheese was amazing -I'd say top 3 - and I would consider myself an expert on the subject. We had salads and sandwiches and they were all phenomenal. Drink menu was great as well. AND the prices were very reasonable!! I highly recommend Vintage Kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eats on the waterMoniqueVIPDined on 7/25/2014Just went to this place Friday night before a concert and really enjoyed it. The meal/dinner was absolutely delicious and a nice sized portion. We got the cheese plate prior and that was just ok due to them only giving you one kind of bread/cracker to eat the cheese with, and there just wasn't alot of "extras" on the plate. The wine list was great, and we opted to try a local Virginia wine, never having had a wine from Virginia before. It didn't wow me, but very reasonably priced and easy to gulp. That's not a negative for the restaurant at all...in fact, I love it that they promoted local wines. All together, I'd go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLadieslunchDined on 7/23/2014The food is excellent, I'd recommend a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- De-lishDianaVIPDined on 7/19/2014We went for Norfolk's Restaurant Week - 3 courses for $30. We each had the Caesar salad. It had a hint of hot pepper spice shredded cheese, melted bits of sharp cheddar and great croutons. For our entree, we had the shrimp creole. For a change, it came with a yellow rice that resembled couscous. The sauce had tiny bursts of dried lemon. For dessert, I had the lemon cake with a hint of lavender. It was presented in a Ball jar with layers of fresh fruit and whipped cream. Hubby had something with chocolate. Everything was great! Every table in the main dining area has a view of the Elizabeth River.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food just okayCyndyBDined on 7/17/2014Most dishes not as described. Starters: tomato-basil soup & grilled goat cheese sandwich, okay & a crabcake, just okay. 24 hr confit pork w/ maple-glazed sweet potatoes: Okay not tender pork, pureed unremarkable sweet potatoes. Shrimp & grits w/ griddle cake & sausage gravy: a big plate smothered in green sauce with large bits of ham (NOT sausage), a few popcorn size shrimp. Ham overwhelmed. No griddle cake, big pile of wet grits. Desserts:"Summer berry shortcake with lavender genoise & orange whipped cream" (but genoise IS shortcake): a parfait of plain shortcake, berries, plain cream. Chocolate "parfait" with salted caramel and peanut brittle: Pudding in a dish with the brittle--few peanuts--NO salted caramel, and whipped cream.Special Features:
- Disappointing!thecaptdinesDined on 7/17/2014Not a good way to celebrate Norfolk Restaurant Week. Of the appetizers, the salad was good, the crab cake overpriced, and the soup mediocre and barely warm. The Kobe Beef Pot Pie was different and interesting, but the Shrimp and Grits were awful. They had to be returned to the kitchen for reheating, and the shrimp size couldn't have been smaller. The fruit and shortcake dessert was fine, but the chocolate parfait was more like chocolate pudding. This was out third visit to the Vintage Kitchen, and we were very surprised!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Looking forward to eating there not during resturant week so we can try the menu food. Great placeSpecial Features:
- Consistently...TheFermentedSoulDined on 7/14/2014...Wonderful! I've been to Vintage Kitchen several times now and it's been a real treat each time. It's intimate, quiet, has a lovely view of the Elizabeth River, the Staff are attentive without hovering, and the food is outstanding. If you haven't been, Restaurant Week is a great time to try it. I suspect you won't be disappointed. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the viewdisappointedDined on 7/11/2014Very expensive for lousy , odd menu and bad food. Service pathetic, took 1and 1/2 hour to serve us and there were only 12 people in the restaurant
- simply elegantsnashleyDined on 7/3/2014On 7/3/14 I took my best friend here for her fourth "24th" birthday lol as soon as we walked in we saw how beautiful the place was the hostess sat us right away with us being 15 minutes early for our reservation. She took us to a quiet take on the window side of the room where we over looked the beautiful scenery of Norfolk. We received amazing service. Our drinks and food were amazing. Her and I both will most definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NORFOLK'S FINEST!JT99Dined on 6/20/2014Best restaurant we've tried in Norfolk! It has an absolutely gorgeous view of sunset over the river and one of the best crabcakes I've ever eaten in my life! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harborfest2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014My wife and I ordered from the appetizers menu and found even that to be a little pricey. $32.00 for 2 crab cakes! The crab was very very good as was the special of the house,mashed potatoes. Mushroom pot pie thick but not much more than soup. Querky layout to area and bar ,dark bathroom. On a very busy night on the waterfront (fireworks) we arrived at our appointed time and we were the only people in the resturant@ 7:00PM. I would hesitate to recomend but I also think this place has a lot going for it. I may need to stick to less expensive resturants but all in all the experience was a C+ to a B-.Special Features:
- The following 219 reviews are from the Vintage Kitchen reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2014Great experience overall. Definitely will go back. Would like to see more extensive wine list (by the glass).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice quite eveningKnoweyesDined on 4/18/2014This is a great place for special occasions and romantic evenings. They have an excellent local wine selection and the food is great the portions an acquit and it has an ok view of the river with an acceptation of sunset but what gives the restaurant the romantic seen is being there right at sunset it just makes the hole place shine and with a nice quite atmosphere its a very romantic place to bring your special someone but be prepared to pay for it in my opinion it is very over priced for the quality of food and the view can be found else ware for a lot cheaper and the staff will be a lot friendlier.Special Features:
- Great restaurant with a localPhamiDined on 3/28/2014Great restaurant with a local focus. Most of the menu is sourced from within the commonwealth, and does an excellent job showcasing the wonderful produce of our great state.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High class "Eat Local"AlkatomaDined on 3/15/2014Exquisite dishes from Virginia's bounty. We got to enjoy the sunset over the Elizabeth River while enjoying a leisurely dinner,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Group Dinner MeetingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014We LOVED the on-line reservation option and I can't say enough about the waitstaff, accommodations, and dinner experience!Special Features:
- NEVER FAILS TO IMPRESS!JT99Dined on 2/20/2014I've been several times now and have never had a less than stellar experience! The staff is really friendly and even the Chef came out to say hi during dinner! This is without a doubt my go-to restaurant in downtown Norfolk!Special Features:
- My favorite place downtown!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/20/2014We came on a really busy night when there was apparently a large wedding group who had rented the entire dining room on the waterfront - lucky couple! Regardless, our server did a great job and the food was wonderful! We will be back. . . very soon! ps. yummy mac' and cheese - thanks for the recommendation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Day after ValentineArthurEGDined on 2/15/2014I was looking for a quiet place for a romantic Valentine Dinner . My son recommended this place. I am very glad we tried it. The only thing that detracted from the evening was we had to wait a few minutes longer than I would have expected to be waited on. Once the waitress came out to greet us it was excellent from that point through the night. I am sure it was just a minor glitch. The menu had a few interesting selections. I opted for the pork which was outstanding. A lean pork chop with bacon, sausage and pulled pork. The pork chop was tender and with the sauce a delicious meal was had. The atmosphere was relaxing, low lights, soft music all of this overlooking the Elizabeth River from the 1st floor of Dominion Towers.Special Features:
- Good for show but not practical.VAFOODLOVERDined on 2/14/2014This restaurant is way over price. The food quality is average at best. To be honest I've had better food at less expensive restaurants. I have been here three times and each time I regret that I did. If you want to impress a date with a high tab this is a good restaurant. Both my wife and I were hungry $100 dollars later we found ourselves looking for something additional to eat. Trust me I don't mind paying for $100 dollar plates but I do expect a higher quality meal and great service.
- Valentine's dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014I want to start by making it known that I've had lunch at this restaurant multiple times and have been pleased with the food and service. I've never had dinner there, so my wife and I chose Vintage Kitchen to celebrate Valentine's Day. We knew that there would be a "restaurant week-style" limited menu. However, we were disappointed that it was a VERY limited menu with only two options. We would have been okay if the limited options were splendid, but our food was only fair. In addition, service was slow (restaurant was only at about 30% capacity at most) and the wait staff were not very knowledgeable about the menu (um... the two options on the menu). We did enjoy the views of the Elizabeth River and Berkley Bridge, but that's about it.Special Features:
- This restaurant has a niceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/13/2014This restaurant has a nice ambience for a romantic dinner. While the building itself is in an awkward location, the restaurant's interior is inviting and might have included a nice view if we weren't seated behind a pillar. My husband and I were underwhelmed by the entree choices so we ordered small plates instead. I love that the chef highlights local products and ingredients but our dishes were not memorable aside from the fabulous pumpkin soup. The servers were friendly but I had hoped for a little bit more attention to details (menus were upside down, glasses were dirty) during a special occasion dinner.Special Features:
- Best meal in NorfolkYummoDined on 1/31/2014Between the elaborate menu and the freshest ingredients, this was hands down the best meal we've had in Norfolk. All four of us dining were amazed! The truffle mac and cheese was to die for; the ahi appetizer melts in your mouth; even the salad was noteworthy... And don't get me started on the pumpkin soup with cinnamon croutons--- incredible. Unbelievable meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!TonioDined on 1/24/2014Went for Restaurant Week. I will be going back. A bit on the fancy side, and a bit pricey. But it would be great find if you are trying to impress your significant other (wife). Nice view of Waterside Harbor also. Dim lighting makes it romantic outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Norfolk Restaurant WeekLisaDined on 1/24/2014We ate at Vintage Kitchen during Norfolk's restaurant week. The restaurant offered a 3-course meal for $30. My husband and I are vegetarians and were a little disappointed that there wasn't a vegetarian option (other than the mac-n-cheese optional add-on) on the special menu, although we love the truffle mac-n-cheese. Would have been nice to have a vegetarian option so we could have shared and tried multiple items. Through the first and second courses, I thought the portions were really small and I was still actually quite hungry when dessert was served. But never fear, the dessert course was so robust and delightful, that we were both quite satisfied at the end of the dinner. The two wines (glasses) were not bad, but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week at Vintage KitchenFitnessbabeVIPDined on 1/24/2014Hosted a large party of 14 for Restaurant Week on 24 January 2014 and they were so nice to give us the private room. Impression from my friends was that it was overall "good." Their pumpkin soup with the cinnamon croutons was probably the best pumpkin soup I've ever had. Pretty happy with the flounder in viognier butter with root vegetables. They have Virginia wine choices, which is an important factor for me. Was not impressed with the dessert, which was a key lime custard with pieces of too chewy meringue. The meringue should have melted in my mouth with a soft crunch. Overall, it was just wonderful to get together with my friends and eat some good food.Special Features:
- Interesting food & great winedlm25Dined on 1/23/2014My husband and I found out about Vintage Kitchen during Norfolk's Restuarant Week and the menu looked interesting and different. He got the pumpkin soup and pork confit and both were excellent. I got the caesar salad with mint and the kobe cottage pie. Both were really good - the cottage pie was really rich- but my husband's menu choices definitely won. Also, we ordered a bottle of Virginia wine that was excellent and reasonably priced, which was nice considering the wine menu had some ridiculously expensive options. The ambience is also really nice - the restaurant is small and intimate, with large windows overlooking the river and bridge so you have a lovely view throughout dinner. Overall, a great restaurant week find! Will visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for restaurant weekSailorsgirlDined on 1/23/2014I had wanted to eat here for a long time but could never afford it. Restaurant week came around so I jumped on the opportunity. We went for dinner. The place was busy but not packed, and yet it took 30 min to seat us, so we had a drink at the bar. The girls behind the bar were not being extremely professional with their discussion topics, but we just tried to ignore them. Finally got seated and man, what a view! Right in the water, it was great. Our waitress was very nice and attentive. The food was excellent, as was the wine. However, I want to congratulate the chef on their Kobe beef cottage pie! I could not get over how delicious it was! We still spent just over $100 here during restaurant week, so just make sure your wallet is prepared!Special Features:
- Hidden Gem!NicoleGDined on 1/23/2014I had never heard of Vintage Kitchen until I was browsing the Restaurant Week menu, but I was enticed by the idea of Pumpkin Pie Soup and Kobe Beef Cottage Pie. They were even better than I imagined. Really great food and wonderful service. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite of ours,PeteVIPDined on 1/22/2014Always a favorite of ours, we returned for the Restaurant Week special. Phillip did a great job with the food and his wait staff is always spot-on. Vintage Kitchen remains one of the better restaurants in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique menuryanrobDined on 1/22/2014We visited this site for the first time during restaurant week. The menu was compelling and vibrant with unique dishes such as sweet pie pumpkin soup and a cottage pie with Kobe style beef and Gouda mashed potatoes. Its comfort food with a contemporary twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful all the way around!ChristieDined on 1/22/2014Vintage Kitchen has been my favorite restaurant since moving to Norfolk 4 years ago. Every time, even during busy Restaurant Week, their food and service is top notch. They serve something for everyone and utilize local products. I love this place!Special Features:
- Outstanding...Best of Norfolk!chawbacon4VIPDined on 1/20/2014During Restaurant Week in Norfolk. We were early, but seated immediately. The view out over the water was beautiful. The staff was attentive and extremely professional. Enjoyed some excellent twists on classic cocktails. The truffled mac and cheese was unbelievable. Our party each ordered something different as a main, and we tasted around...every dish was perfect. Make sure you're hungry, because the portions on everything from the appetizer to dessert are huge! Great view, great service, wonderful food, delicious craft cocktails....simply the best dining experience in Norfolk. Highly, Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinner with great viewirishdocDined on 1/18/2014We loved our dining experience at Vintage Kitchen. The views are gorgeous and the menu is fantastic. Localvore delight! Great Virginia based meals and ingredients with a beautiful view. This place has taken over as my parents favorite when they come to visit. Wish their days were a little more open so we could enjoy it more often, as we don't always do weekend dining. Due to the windows and huge open area (which I wouldn't change for the world!) it can get a little chilly in winter, so we usually wear another layer (sweater etc.)Special Features: