1940 11th Street NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vinotecadc.com/
- Phone: 2023329463
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sat-Sun 11AM-3PM
Dinner: Sun-Thu 5PM-10PM, Fri-Sat 5PM-11PM
Bar: Mon-Fri 5PM-Close, Sat-Sun 11AM-Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lonnie Zoeller
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The upstairs lounge at Vinoteca is a versatile and cozy space, equipped to handle a wide range of private events. With its Old World décor, soft candlelight, enchanting chandeliers, and mellow wine cellar feel, the lounge provides guests with a captivating and unique venue in which to create a memorable event. It is furnished with vintage couches, chairs, and tables. Depending on the type of event, the lounge can be rearranged to allow for the best experience possible. The space accommodates twenty-five guests for a seated service and thirty guests for an instructional wine class. For standing receptions, the lounge holds seventy-five guests.
In addition to the lounge, there is the Plaza, which is a beautiful outdoor bar and bocce court. While it is not typically available for rental, the two corner communal tables may be reserved. Each table has an approximate capacity of twelve guests.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Luu 2023329463
- Entertainment: Flamenco Sundays: 8PM-11PM - Lead by Gerard Poole (guitar & vocals), Richard Marlow (Flamenco guitar), and Sara Jerez-Marlow (dance). Amazing!
- Special Events: On select Tuesdays from 7:PM to 8:30PM, Vinoteca holds wine classes in our private dining room. $40 per person inclusive of wine, food pairing, instructor, and $5 Vinoteca gift card.
Join Vinoteca & DC Bocce League on Mondays & Tuesdays in the PLAZA!
- Cross Street: 11th and U
- Public Transit: Green/Yellow line to U Street/African-American War Memorial/Cardozo Metro station. Take 10th Street exit. Walk one block west.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Recommended street parking on 11th Street (between T & U Streets). Also, $10 parking lot across the street (right next to Lee's Flower Shop).
A word from Vinoteca
Devoted to locally-sourced produce and artisanal wines and spirits, this contemporary American wine-centric restaurant offers up toothsome fare for every palate, budget, and occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vinoteca reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (42)great for brunch (37)neighborhood gem (36)notable wine list (32)fit for foodies (31)good for groups (26)romantic (15)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (15)special occasion (8)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great brunchAntonioRVIPDined on 10/12/2014Excellent service at brunch. Had the scones and omelet, both very good. Kept our glasses full though it does get a noisy in there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple and Delicious......Strick313Dined on 10/12/2014Great time for our group of five ladies to brunch. Food is good, reasonably priced and varied. Not a large menu mind you, but just right. Also, bottomless $15 Mimosas, $3 Kir Royale and nice $8 Bloody Mary's (a bit more if you want bacon infused). Overall, a delight. A definite "go to" spot for my 'Detroit Crew in DC' monthly brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wannabefoodieDined on 10/11/2014the bottomless brunch including mimosas and food here was great ; loved the look and atmosphere of the restaurant and great to accomodate our large group; however the host kept walking by our table and rolling his eyes, scowling and cursing under his breath waiting for us to leave to seat his next large group and I understand that it was annoying that we were still there when another group needs to be seated but I think this could've been approached in a better way; only hesitation I have with going back but otherwise it was delicious and bottomless brunch is always fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive Cuisine and Unique WinesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014The menu is interesting and executed well. I love the variety of meal sizes (snacks, small plates, and entrees). Pretty good selection of unique wines. Attentive service. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findCmskVIPDined on 10/5/2014In the evolving U street corridor, this is really a find. The food was delicious, and the prices very reasonable. Great farm to table - good veggie dishes, chicken, short ribs, etc. Wonderful service (except they served all the food @ once!) Highly recommend...Special Features:
- Great food, poor servicecprin6VIPDined on 10/5/2014Went for brunch - Food is amazing & they make the best omelets. But food was slow & our waitress difficult to catch. Milk chocolate truffles are bittersweet/dark, so not as advertised. They stopped serving coffee mid through our meal - they just stopped refills. Not much of an apology for that, & explanation (a back up of coffee) that didn't make sense, & yet we were all still charged $4.00 each for it. We had to beg to at least get water. 1 person in our party didn't get her side of bacon for 20 min after we were served though she asked about it 3 times. When she finally said to cancel, it got served, & suddenly the waitress was there lightening fast & took the plate away. The restaurant wasn't full, & it was bizarrely bad service.Special Features:
- MehWarshDined on 10/3/2014Generally disappointed. Mediocre food, wine and ambience.Special Features:
- BLand Food and ServiceJJMDVIPDined on 9/29/2014My friend and I tried several small plates and their cheese and charcuterie plates on this visit. From the lackluster wait service to the bland food, Vinoteca was a bland experience. Our waitress disappeared for a half hour and we had to remind her that we were still waiting for our last few dishes. Since they arrived cold, I could tell they had been sitting for a while. The cheese and charcuterie plates were the best thing on the menu but they were not memorable. The rest of the food was in that the chicken croquettes and pork fries arrived cold. Their drinks were good and that saved this from being a total loss. Despite one other table outside, our waitress avoided us and took her time getting the check to us.
- Noise Level was Downfall to RatingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014I went for Sunday brunch with an old friend. While we had to wait for our food longer than anticipated, both of us really enjoyed our entrees. She had the duck confit benedict and I had the whole wheat pancakes with ginger butter. Sat inside away from the bar. The bar was super loud and I found myself with a sore throat after brunch from all of the loud talking (so my friend could hear me). Next time, outside dining may be the way to go. The patio seating seems a little crowded but it may be a little more conducive to holding a conversation. Otherwise, the service and food are worth a trip back.Special Features:
- Great brunch!goodfoodVIPDined on 9/14/2014Yummy omelets, tasty homefries. Delicious brunch!Special Features:
- Understaffed Wait Team at BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014Our group received bad service at brunch on Sunday. The host stepped in for our server who was clearly overwhelmed. He was too busy to follow up to make sure we received the right food and when we finally flagged her over she was not apologetic. I think adding extra servers would help them turn this place around!Special Features:
- Great foodDIalaDined on 9/6/2014The good was amazing so was the ambiance and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- emilyDined on 8/31/2014food was wonderful as always however, drink service was super slow and it was too loudI would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plates Big Flavors9livesleftDined on 8/29/2014Really had a great experience here. We were celebrating as a small group and the many options were a great way to share food yet assure we could accommodate all. Started with a cheese plate and several small plates and great wine. Recommend the mushroom crostini and cabbage and pears. Rich earthy Flavors and even the less adventurous eaters were pleased. We had about 6 small plates and 2 larger ones for 4 people. The bison short ribs were a star. Tender, flavorful and nice sized portion. Will order again. Staff were helpful with choosing wines and friendly. Next time we will eat outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie801Dined on 8/24/2014This was really disappointing. The food was fine, but the service was so terrible that it counterbalanced anything good that came out of the kitchen. We ordered a cheese plate to start with, and when we were less than half way through the waitress told us she had to take it away to make room for the rest of the food. We asked to keep it, and she picked up the crackers with her bare hands, threw them onto one of our eating dishes, and took the rest away! Instantly, the four small plates we had ordered came out all at once (only lukewarm), so we had to eat very quickly to try to get it while it was kind of hot. We left less than 50 minutes after arriving, having been rushed through our meal (in a restaurant that wasn't even 1/4 full).
- Really delicious & lovely serviceMKL2Dined on 8/21/2014I had eaten some tapas at the bar 2 years ago and when I came back to formally dine, I was surprised just how the meat an vegetable tapas were. Perfect sizes for sharing. And best of all was the consistently strong sense of customer service. Thank you for a wonderfully warm and fun dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant weekfoodieDined on 8/14/2014My girlfriend and I went here for Thursday dinner. Seating and service were quick. Off the restaurant week menu, we ordered grilled squid, green beans and squash with buttermilk dressing, bison short ribs, duck dish, chocolate flight, and grilled peach. All of the dishes were amazing and well-cooked. The restaurant can get a little noisy as the wine consumption increases, but overall it is a great place to wine and dine. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- JesstheBestVIPDined on 8/14/2014Dined during restaurant week and truly got a feel of the entire menu and style of Vinoteca. Food and cocktails were delicious and unique. Service was excellent. Great find and definitely going back soon!Special Features:
- good food and servicelsalDined on 8/10/2014sat outside for dinner on a sunday in the summer. good food, wine and service.Special Features:
- Ups & Downs - go early even w/ res.SammyDVIPDined on 8/10/2014Vinoteca offers bottomless mimosas for brunch, which sounds wonderful in theory, but with no time limit on tables, it can be very frustrating to those with reservations who are waiting. I made a reservation for 2pm - we were not seated until after 3pm - technically after they stopped serving brunch, and what I ordered they no longer had. There were tables of people around who were just sitting there. They hadn't ordered anything in hours - no exaggeration, and they weren't even talking to each other! One table of 4 did not converse for over 30 minutes, they just sat there looking at their respective smart phones. Moral of the story - make your reservation for early, because as nice as the servers are, they can't ask a table to leave.Special Features:
- Bachelorette brunchCaiterVIPDined on 7/20/2014Had a great time time! Great location and food was awesome- different! Loved the cauliflower :) server was tolerant of our large group.Special Features:
- No Outdoor ReservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014I would be giving Vinoteca 4 stars, but it is just frustrating to make a reservation in advance, put in the notes that you prefer outdoor only to be told we can't accommodate that request. I knew that ahead of time, that they can't reserve outside due to the difficulty of managing outdoor reservations...I'm sorry, but isn't this what you do? I even tried to call ahead to see if there were any tables available outside so they could hold, but again I get the same response. I love the courtyard for pre-dining and the front for dining. If I the night is beautiful, I would contact the 6 person party with a reservation at 8:00 if they wanted to sit outside, and make it happen. I will definitely go back, but it probably won't be as frequently.Special Features:
- Delish food, but really loudClassyEaterDined on 6/29/2014Vinoteca brunch is absolutely delicious and well priced in a city of stupidly over priced brunches. Good drinks too. Just really loud, even with just a few tables around you....It's so open and hollow inside that noise bounces off everything. Found myself yelling across the table and for my friends to still have trouble hearing me. I'd sit outside if the weather isn't too hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was perfect!CCanoVIPDined on 6/28/2014I had been to Vinoteca once before for brunch when it first opened and remembered it was a pretty cute place. This time I went for my bday dinner with a group of 7 and it was great. The hostesses were great when I called 3 times to add people to the reservation and even called the day off to confirm I didn't have any more changes :) we ended up ordering pretty much every app- several of each, and it was perfect. They also have a great selection of wine and our waitress was very attentive. Definitely want to go again and try their main entrees! All of my friends plan on coming back as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Conversation PieceDateNightDined on 6/28/2014A great place for small plates (hordevers) and great atmosphere in the heart of U Street near Bohemian Jazz Club. The pasta was fresh and exploded with taste. The chicken was a little dry but the asparagus, house salad with buttermilk dressing and potatoes made up for it. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Good food and wine list but..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014Loved sitting outside. The food was great (a tad expensive) and the wine list was similarly very well presented; however, when sitting outside be sure to ask for a seat closer to the entrance of the patio. Do not sit near the bushes/trees at the left end (facing the building) if you can help it! There is a liquor store there and it is very hard to enjoy a good conversation or meal with people hawking up spit, smoking, and loudly cursing right next to you. I am all for a city outside dining experience - but good lord..Special Features:
- The following 784 reviews are from the Vinoteca reviews archive.
- Great brunch spot!AudreyODined on 6/14/2014The service inside was absolutely horrible but the food was very good and so were the mimosas. They have bottomless mimosas which is awesome, and they have outside seating in the front and the back of the restaurant so it has a really great atmosphere. It took us forever to get our drinks once we sat down at our table, but luckily the bus boy made up for that (he was great!). I would recommend this place despite the bad service we received. Perhaps our server was having a bad day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- has potential but needs improvementunimpressedDined on 6/5/2014They had a lot of neat sounding snacks that I had high hopes for but almost all of them fell short in some way. Maybe the B team was working in the kitchen that night. The sangria tasted cheap and too sweet with fruit clearly added right before serving rather than soaked in the alcohol. Thats the kind of thing I'm referring to with each item ordered falling somewhat short. For the cost and the fact that I was underwhelmed I will not be returning.Special Features:
- GREAT TAPAS ON U STREET1KTravelerVIPDined on 5/30/2014This was our first time at Vinoteca for a late Friday dinner. The tapas were delicious and well presented. The wines were also excellent and paired well with the food. Standouts were the Ahi tartare and the different types of bruschetta. Our server, Zach, was very outgoing and well versed in the food and wine options. I'd recommend Vinoteca and plan to return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- With a name like VinotecaCornerstoneDined on 5/21/2014You'd think the server would know to pour my red wine in the red wine glass and his white in the white wine glass... Food was good, wine selection ok, VERY LOUD!Special Features:
- Always DeliciousdcfoodieDined on 5/9/2014The small plates and wine are always fantastic here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner PerfectionjfleeshDined on 5/6/2014We wanted to try a new place for our anniversary dinner and Vinoteca was the perfect location. We sat outside on the front patio and with the bistro tables and overhead strung lights it was very cozy. The wine list was huge and so our waiter helped guide us through it based on what we liked. We had some cheese and prosciutto to start and I could have just ate cheese all night! But we did order entrees where were great! It was a little noisy with fire trucks from U street, but that is unavoidable.Special Features:
- Good food, Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/4/2014I went to Vinoteca for Sunday brunch. With all the new places in the U Streeet area I thought that it would be a good out of the way spot. I couldn't have been more wrong. The main dining room was packed, as was the front & back patio. The food was good, but they didn't have the staff to cover the volume. We were seated at our reservation time, but no waiter came over for a good 15 min. When he finally did we ordered, and never saw our waiter again. Runners brought the drinks & food, and finally the check. It was so bad it was comical. There are too many good places for brunch in DC to spend $ on being ignored. I will not be going back.Special Features:
- Go for drinks, not for atmospherecanterDined on 5/3/2014We reserved a table a week in advance and were looking forward to the wine bar experience for a mothers and daughters "date". We were sat immediately, however a server didn't even get to us until 20 minutes later. It seemed like they only had 1 server for the entire busy restaurant which is unacceptable. It was incredibly loud and you had to practically scream to talk to others at your table. If they just closed in the wall separating the bar and seating area I think it would be a bit more relaxing. Overall though, the wine and food were delicious. They have some unique wine flights which are fun, too. Just don't go expecting a romantic atmosphere because it is better for groups (which we were at least).Special Features:
- love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014My friends and I have brunched here more times than I can count. Always delicious food, always great service. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outdoor lunchChristineDined on 4/19/2014Good food, great location and decent drink prices - $3 mimosas etc :)Special Features:
- Great overall experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/17/2014I had never been here before, but had heard good reviews from friends. Two close friends were visiting and I made reservations for dinner. The hostess was very friendly and took me to our table -- I came straight from the office and arrived 30 minutes before our reservation time. The server was just as friendly and accommodating. She recommended a delicious glass of wine, and once my friends arrived, we ordered the cheese and charcuterie tasting plates. Both were a very nice selection, but the cheese servings were tiny for 3 people to share. For dinner, I ordered the pasta with a pureed cauliflower sauce and it was incredible. My friends ordered the bison and tuna, both were equally tasty. I look forward to the next time.Special Features:
- Food good, noise badWookieDined on 4/15/2014Vinoteca is a happening place with earnest servers and well prepared interesting food. The high noise level unfortunately detracted from the enjoyment of the experience when I was there. By the end of the evening everyone in the dining room was shouting to be heard by their tablemates. If the dining area could be protected from the bar this problem would be lessened and the food and wine could be properly appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/13/2014We've dined at Vinoteca before and have enjoyed it enough to want to return. Not so this time. The service was terrible - incredibly slow, and we asked for everything to be brought out at the same time since some of us ordered main courses and others ordered small plates. The small plates came out one by one, then the main course (ordered by someone who didn't order a small plate) well over an hour later. The wait might have been worth it if the food had been stellar, but it wasn't. Some of the dishes were passable, and the bison was reportedly very good, but others not. Overall, a very disappointing experience.
- Delicious brunchLisakVIPDined on 4/6/2014We enjoyed a family brunch .. complete with baby ... Everyone had something delicious and different - we appreciated the choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.