Vinoteca di Monica
143 Richmond St.
Boston, MA 02109Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Vinoteca di Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.monicasboston.com/MonicasBoston/Index.aspx
- Phone: 6172270311
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Friday, Saturday & Sundays: 5:00pm - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jorge Mendoza
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private space available.
- Private Party Contact: Jorge Mendoza 6172270311
- Cross Street: Hanover St.
- Public Transit: Haymarket, Gov't Center & Aquarium
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking directly across the street. Validated Parking at Parcel 7 Garage. 136 Blackstone St Boston, MA 02109 Phone: (617) 973-6954 (On the corner of Sudbury St. and Congress St.)
A word from Vinoteca di Monica
Located in the heart of the North End, VINOTECA di MONICA is Chef Jorge Mendoza-Iturralde latest culinary venture with an emphasis on Rustic Regional Italian cuisine and Wine Spectator’s Grand Award for one of the largest Selections of Italian wines in the city. You no longer need to travel to Italy to experience the marriage between regional Italian food and wine. The menu focuses on the preservation of traditional regional dishes, with an unpretentious dedication to the true flavors that make regional Italian cuisine so popular. The art of pasta and bread making are carried out daily, for your sampling, where the freshest ingredients is an everyday affair. VINOTECA di MONICA is the result of Monica’s Restaurant evolution and its chef‘s passion for the Italian culture and the big role food and wine plays in its preservation. Reservations Recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vinoteca di Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (70)fit for foodies (61)notable wine list (51)special occasion (47)romantic (41)good for groups (20)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (9)great for brunch (9)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Terribly disappointingCali3Dined on 8/15/2014I took my family here and right away we were disappointed. While the restaurant is very cute, not a single one of us enjoyed our meals. Between two appetizers and four main courses, I can only recommend one dish (and it was a special)... The food was just not enjoyable. Even worse was the service. While the cook seemed nice, our waitress was terrible. After having to send back a side dish that was so bad we could not eat it, she charged us for the next side dish that we got instead - never have I experienced this and I dine in the north end very often. I was so excited to dine here and all I can say is - major left down.
- Delicious!CarolHDined on 8/10/2014This is my favorite Italian restaurant in the world. The food is always fresh, delicious and perfectly prepared. The staff is very knowledgable and able to offer great ideas. This is my go to restaurant whenever I have vistors, or if I just want an amazing meal!Special Features:
- virgo66Dined on 8/9/2014We really enjoyed our experience on a beautiful August Saturday evening. Full house but you couldn't tell because of the excellent service and food. Just wished they had warmed the breadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional service and foodProvCollegeMomDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I went for dinner with another couple. We were greeted so warmly, only had to wait a few minutes in the bar for our table (which was reserved) to be ready. Our cocktails were delicious and the wine list was excellent. Service was attentive and most importantly we all loved our food. I went with the scallops on black linguine which was exeptional. Other entrees our group enjoyed were the pasta bolognese and the swordfish. All of the pasta is homemade on the premises! We highly recommend and will most definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- courtDined on 8/9/2014It was awesome! Food was amazing and soo tasty! I would def go back and tell my firens to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Delicious Itailian foodValerie83Dined on 8/8/2014I made reservations here for my friends and I for a special evening out. My friends are very particular about their dining experiences. Several times during the meal they commented on how the entrees and desserts were so delicious!! Truly good quality food with an excellent wine list. Our waiter was attentive and professional as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014We hadn't been to the North End in a while. Vinoteca di Monica had handy valet parking, and a bright atmosphere. Food was excellent, with home made pastas the star of the show. Server was helpful, but he was hard to find when we needed pepper for an entree and water refills later in the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsFoodie5Dined on 8/3/2014I went to Vinoteca di Monica with my family for my sister's birthday. The food was fantastic (we love black truffles and their gnocchi with black truffles in the pasta was outstanding), the pasta was homemade and delicious. I was a little apprehensive because some of the yelp reviews mentioned arrogant and condescending servers, but our server was great. One downside is that it's definitely pricey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A North End MustDinner4OneDined on 8/2/2014Great food. Great service and a robust wine list. You must eat here when in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vinoteca di MonicaKM123Dined on 8/2/2014The food was great! All four of us ordered something different and we ended up sampling each other's meals. The pizza was great. The tortellini was stuffed with chicken and cheese. The rib eye pork hops were amazing. Very tender and juicy. The mashed sweet potatoes could be a pass, though. The service was great and staff was very attentive. Very noisy but the place was small and intimate and everyone was having a good time.Special Features:
- always a good choiceDrWhat4Dined on 8/2/2014I've been here three times and I've never been disappointed. The bar is nice, the wait staff is attentive and helpful and the food is great. Lots of great choices in the North End, but this is one of the better ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SMALL PORTIONS FOR THE PRICEjplitchDined on 7/31/2014We arrived early for our reservations and were seated immediately. I had the 3 course wine pairing which was very good. My husband decided he wanted to choose differently. All pasta is homemade and was very good however portions were very small. I even questioned the fact that his pasta dish looked like a appetizer or 1/2 portion. I was told that their portions are not very large. The lamb in mine and beef in his pasta was hardly visible.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Kind to New ParentsnewmamaDined on 7/31/2014We were so appreciative of the service we received at Vinoteca di Monica. As a celebration of our new son, we took grandparents and son to the North End for an early dinner. We were very nervous about eating at a nice restaurant with an infant, so chose Vinoteca based on the size (we had a North End favorite that was too small to manage an infant and grandparents). After our hospitable, delectable visit, Vinoteca will be our new North End go-to! The food was the best I've had in the North End, especially the seafood dishes. The sauces were perfectly cooked--not too runny, not too thick--and the specials were season, abundant, and perfect for a special occasion. The servers were all so kind to us, as we needed to get up with our son often.Special Features:
- Never a bad mealFoodieDined on 7/26/2014W have enjoyed the food at Monica's since they opened. We take all our out of town guest there. They just do everything well there - non of the food is weighted down with heavy sauces like they were trying to make up for inferior food like some other restaurants. I just wish we lived closer so that I could go more than a few times a year.Special Features:
- groupDined on 7/25/2014We received a gift card here last year and finally remembered to use it. What a find! Fantastic food, we had a great bottle of wine, and even though we were there for over two hours not once did we feel rushed to leave to accommodate other people. Overall a great place and one that we would happily go back toSpecial Features:
- Great food, small tableOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/25/2014We really enjoyed our date at Vinoteca di onica. With so many great restaurants in the North End we decided to go on a friends' recommendation and it did not disappoint. The mushroom crepe appetizers was delicious ; my favorite part of the whole meal! The waiter was nice and very knowledgeable about the wine. The only negative was they use the really small tables for two and I like to have a little space so I can keep a bread dish, a meal and a glass of wine without having to move the condiments off the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great ExperienceNorthEndNuggetDined on 7/22/2014I have been to this restaurant 7 times; one time alone and the rest of the times with friends. Always a great experience There has been an occasional appetizer I have not enjoyed, but overall a nice place to go to in the North End of Boston (Little Italy)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014Arrived timely for a reservation. No cordial greeting. Told to wait outside. Seated 35 minutes later. Never an apology from owners (hostess & host)-unfriendly attitude. They don't call to confirm your reservations - they just overbook. 5 other parties waiting outside for the same reservation time. We might have forgotten this nasty beginning & enjoyed the evening but the food was not as good as previous years, tasteless bread, out of the wine we selected, inferior service, one appetizer did not come until 15 mins. after the others. Total disappointment. Were treating a NYC couple = landed up as an embarassing, upsetting evening. Recommendation: Enjoy the greatness of Boston's North End at another restaurant where the diners are appreciated.
- Outstanding Weekend Brunch!mvygirlVIPDined on 7/19/2014Vinoteca di Monica, is now offering brunch on Sat & Sun from 10am-3:00pm. The offerings are nothing short of heavenly. And the options might keep you coming back each week just to try everything! Make your own omelet from a selection of worthy Italian fillings, such as prosciutto, sauteed wild mushrooms, fontina, speck and so much more. We had the frittata with sauteed leeks, ricotta and fresh large pieces of lobster meat! It was truly amazing. High quality ingredients, a large selection of items, and a nice comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodAnjJDined on 7/18/2014We had the aniglotti with meat sauce, pasta with sausage, and linguini vongole. All were absolutely delicious. Service was very pleasant.
- The best in the north endcanadafoodieDined on 7/16/2014Very friendly service through the restaurant. Waiters are attentive and very knowledgeable. We went two nights in a row that's how much we liked it. Food is outstanding. Their pastas are homemade and it shows. This is a can't miss restaurant in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2happyDined on 7/14/2014Excellent service and food. We recommended the restaurant to more people and they enjoyed Monica's Vinoteca two nights later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in the North EnddtmurphyDined on 7/12/2014This is my second time dining at Vinoteca and I continue to be impressed. All food on the menu is delicious and impossible to disappoint. What impressed me most about this visit was the great attention paid to my reservation request to dine with another OpenTable group as the app would not allow a single large reservation for our group. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North End GemLu324VIPDined on 7/11/2014We have been to a lot of North End restaurants and this one is a keeper! Food is wonderful, staff so nice, and great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014I am a chef who is normally unimpressed by the tourist cuisine available in the north end. I brought my family who were visiting from out of town as my mother loves the biscotti from a small bakery in the area and I thought it might be nice to make a night of the north end. The entire experience exceeded my expectations, which is increasingly harder to do when I dine out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TableFamilyVIPDined on 7/10/2014Made a reservation far in advance and was given the worst table. The restaurant is cramped and the food not very good.
- Enjoyable north end ItalianzotonDined on 7/5/2014Another good experience on our second trip to Monica's. We will likely go again. We like the coziness of the restaurant. The food choice and quality has been very good. Waiters are able to help with Italian wine selection to suit our tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good timeAnonymousVIPDined on 7/3/2014My friend and I stopped in for an early dinner at the bar. We split a white from Avellino which was good. (Their whites are all reasonably priced.) He liked the meatball app and scallops over black pasta. I had grilled calamari and a salad with lobster. It was a perfect hot-weather meal. The bartender is very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time in BostonBostonDined on 7/2/2014Love the north end's vibe. Vinoteca di Monica's menu was quite extensive. Loved all the selections we made. Restaurant allows their customers to split entrees for just $2.00 and it shows that on the menu. After a couple of appetizers and saving room for dessert, it was the smart way to go. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- awesome tasty experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/30/2014The tasting menu was a gastronomic tour for your tastebuds. Adding in the wine pairing took the delicious meal to added heights. Go here and mangia!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great North End DiningLarryBVIPDined on 6/28/2014Let's face it - there are no shortage of options when having Italian in the North End. This is a restaurant that shows why going there is a great experience. We were seated promptly and had a very good server for our meal. Service was not rushed, even though it was a fairly busy evening. The food is all fresh and presented excellently. We had a charred octopus appetizer that was fantastic, then moved to the Caprese salad. Every ingredient was fresh and delicious. For entrees we chose the salmon special and Papparadelle in boar ragu. Both were amazing. The wine list is all-Italian with every region properly represented. If you're looking for great food and superb wine in the North End, you owe it to yourself to check out Vinoteca di Monica.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentShellyDined on 6/27/2014Food was great and timely. We had a very nice waiter The noise level was low and we had a great seat by the window. Awesome calamari!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice restaurantEllenSFDined on 6/27/2014The restaurant was great for a nice dinner with my husband. I was a little disappointed in my food but I'm chalking it up to the items I chose. I ordered the fried artichokes as an appetizer and did not care for them at all as they were very dry. For my entree, I ordered a pasta carbonara dish and it was good but nothing notable from similar dishes that could be ordered at almost any Italian restaurant. My husband had the cold antipaste and lamb chop entree and thoroughly enjoyed both.Special Features:
- Yum.OmnivoreVIPDined on 6/24/2014There are lots of good restaurants in the North End; we've tried many of them. This was easily among the best. Lots of good choices on the menu, plus a lot of specials. We went on a Tuesday, but the place was still quite busy, so the word is out. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Delicious Foodmhs1234Dined on 6/20/2014The service was a little slow, but our waiter was pleasant (albeit overwhelmed.) The food was fantastic and exactly what I was in the mood to eat.Special Features:
- Go elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014Food was good, but certainly overpriced. Service was terrible. Our waters were refilled only once the whole time we were there, so we sat with nothing to drink the majority of the warm summer evening....with the windows open. Table too small eve for two people, tucked away in a very small corner with two other tiny tables. Won't be back.
- Always deliciouskmemDined on 6/11/2014Monica's was recommended to us on a food tour of the North End so we tried it and loved it. We go each time we visit Boston and have continued to love it. We've also recommended it to friends and family when they visit Boston and have never heard anything but raves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early dinnerpickyeater101Dined on 6/7/2014Before the crowds and our evening at Cirque de Soleil we wanted a great meal and a place to relax and watch the Belmont leg of the Triple Crown. Monica's never disappoints in any regard. Although the fried artichoke hearts have been better, they were a little small and the leaves chewy. The accompanying ricotta sauce is right on and great with their bread selection too. The lobster salad has the best not too lemony dressing and the plate is filled with egg, tomato and lobster. The beef ravioli was rich and tasty and we followed all that with the waiter's suggestion of the chocolate cake - more a mousse/cake, not too heavy but definitley shareable.Special Features:
- foodiesDined on 5/30/2014We enjoyed the homemade pasta. We had a very relaxing dinner and the wait staff knew his stuff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodifamilyDined on 5/28/2014Went here with 6 of us to celebrate daughter Monica's graduation....loved the food and wine and of course the sign!Special Features: