Vino Volo - Bethesda
7243 Woodmont Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vino Volo - Bethesda
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vinovolobethesdarow.com/
- Phone: (301) 656-0916
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am. HAPPY HOUR: Monday - Friday, 4 - 7 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Bebel Kim
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live music most Thursday nights! Check out our facebook page or stop by for a flight, glass, or bottle, and check it out!
- Special Events: - LADIES NIGHT EVERY WEDNESDAY
- HAPPY HOUR M - F 4 - 7 PM
- PRIVATE EVENT SPACE AVAILABLE
- PATIO SEATING - FIRST COME/FIRST SERVE
- Cross Street: Elm St.
- Public Transit: One block east of the Bethesda Metro station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: VALET PARKING - At Woodmont avenue in front of Vino Volo
Available Daily at 5pm | $10
*$7 at sponsored restaurants
PUBLIC PARKING - There are 16 public garages or lots with over 6,600 spaces and 766 on-street meters within walking distance of the movies, shops and restaurants. Garage and lot public parking is FREE on Saturdays, Sunday and holidays.
A word from Vino Volo - Bethesda
Welcome to Vino Volo! We invite you to come join us for the best selection of wine in Bethesda, while pairing it with our incredible menu. Share a glass with friends in our cozy, warm atmosphere and experience the best service and wine knowledge in the city. We look forward to seeing you, and cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Vino Volo - Bethesda - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Vino Volo - Bethesda reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (19)neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (7)late-night find (7)romantic (6)great for outdoor dining (5)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)special occasion (3)great for lunch (1)Show More
- It is about the foodRWoodBVIPDined on 11/9/2014While the ambiance, wine, and service were very good, the food was not. The salmon rolls rated very good because the fish was firm and moist, but the pork tacos were dry and flavorless. I would not recommend Vino Volo to a friend because I would not go again. I limit my repeat visits to places that have very good to excellent food.
- Fun and easy for a groupkaren950VIPDined on 11/5/2014Reasonably priced wines and nice small plates. Very casual for a group to chat and enjoy a simple evening out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- so, soOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/1/2014The space is pleasant and the service was also friendly but not great or very coordinated. The food was ok, lamb meatballs were very good and pizza was fine too - soup was luke warm though and things didn't come in order. I would come back again to see if it irons out its coordination issues as the staff were friendly and its an attractive space.Special Features:
- fair to middlin'ChilangaVIPDined on 10/27/2014It was quiet, as might be expected of a Monday evening. Tried a fabulous and really interesting white wine on recommendation of our waiter, but the food was bland and the service, nonchalant. Love the idea of flights of wine for tasting and there were several other things on the menu that looked interesting, and it's right in my 'hood so will give them another opportunity to impress, but for my first visit, it was mediocre.
- Great find!AllaboutthewineDined on 10/20/2014I am not from DC but was coming to town for a friend's birthday and wanted to plan a special day. I found this great wine bar on the intranet. It was fabulous! From the decor to the food, from the wine selection to the service, it was great! The server even asked us about the types of wines we enjoy and created a special flight for each of us to try. The prices were also very reasonable. My friend has discovered a new place for girls night out with her local friends and I've definitely found a place I'd visit again next time I'm in the DC area.Special Features:
- GlamGramDined on 10/9/2014At the restaurant, my friend and I were seated. We mentioned that we were meeting another friend, and to escort him to our table when he arrived. Well, one half hour passed and after calling him, realized that he was already at the restaurant and seated in the front and already having a cocktail. The evening went downhill after that. We ordered small bites of this and that - all were good, and ordered glasses of wine and then a bottle of wine. Our first selection we were told was sold out after asking where was the bottle of wine we ordered. Then our server said what else would you like to order. We ordered another bottle and when we question where is it, were told that it was warm and they were chilling it.We had finished dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Group ExperiencetriedthemallDined on 10/7/2014Great wine selections; food was good; great for sharing; lots of different tastes and can accommodate veggies and meat eaters; service was a little poor and it was not crowded; would have like better service at cleaning our dishes when dishes were empty for we were sharing & it just cluttered the table & did not allow for new dishes. Did cater to our adult birthday girl with free drink and dessert-nice touch.Special Features:
- great wine and serviceJuliaVIPDined on 9/29/2014Great energetic ambiance with good feel of outing and being live and vivid... Good find in a neighborhood. Excellent happy hours flights.Special Features:
- Absolutely LovelyErikaUnderfootDined on 9/25/2014Went on a date here and had a wonderful time. The wine flights were great and the wine info system they have is very well done.Special Features:
- EnjoyableSpiralArchDined on 9/6/2014We weren't impressed by the wine offerings but the food was very satisfying. Good place for a happy hour or casual late night dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 8/16/2014We went with a group of eight people and they were very accommodating. Great wine selection and excellent light fare. Great location in the heart of Bethesda and a wonderful place to enjoy some wine and appetizers before dinner in one of bethesda's many restaurants. Would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014We dropped by for lunch one afternoon while shopping at Bethesda Row. It's a quaint place with good enough food and wine but it's nothing special.
- The following 110 reviews are from the Vino Volo - Bethesda reviews archive.
- Excellent Bethesda Wine BarChefWhoDinesOutVIPDined on 7/6/2014Wow. What a great find in Bethesda. The wine list is amazing, the prices are great, and the service is impeccable, as are the house-made specialties like the chicken pate, arancini, and bread pudding. Best bread pudding I've ever had, and I get it everywhere I go. The staff was extremely knowledgeable, and they seemed like they were enjoying working as much as I was having drinks! The live music was incredible, and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findopointsbradDined on 5/10/2014this place is a great find for people who love wine and great food. Service was great and lots of variety to choose from for eating and lite bites. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Much better than expectedcaptainlaserDined on 5/10/2014We saw ambivalent reviews on Vino Volo and did not have a similar experience. They were trying out a new fish talapia dish which was outstanding and their small plates were more than small. We did not leave hungry. Their wine flights were interesting and quite varied (six different flights... 18 wines). The size of the plates was comparable to Jaleo nearby and the dining experience was actually quieter. You have lots of good options on the block and if you are going for a movie in Bethesda, you have lots of very good reasonable cost options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming SpoteatingoutVIPDined on 5/8/2014We had a great time at Vino Volo. They have outdoor seating, a nice inside bar, tables near their big glass windows and eating area. Their wine selection was nice. I loved their wine flights - they're great for learning more about wine/trying different types of wines. The food was simple (in the nicest way), delicious and fresh. Their arugula and barley and field greens with citrus salads and Pizzetta Salsiccia was particularly good. The service was friendly. It's a charming spot to go for a glass of wine and small snacks with friends, lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy wine and munch - Vino VololeniVIPDined on 5/3/2014Their speciality is wine and they serve it by the flight, glass or bottle. the wines are varied and good. I love the food - both variety and size choice. You can have small plates or real entrée size meals. We were two and had a charcuterie plate, salad to split, chicken pate and one additional dish. they were all tasty and perfectly sized. Our wait person was good and knowledgeable. It is a fun place for a not fancy but excellent dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine and foodFoodieDined on 5/2/2014Great wine list and nice food pairings. Service is iffy.Special Features:
- Menu ChangedOaktownDined on 4/7/2014Because the menu has changed somewhat Vino is no longer my first restuarant choice; I would consider it for a light bite to eat and a glass of wine before going to the movies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for wine tasting and a biteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/4/2014Great wine list and service. Creative food. Almonds were addictive. The salmon roll was ok. Great ambiance. Would recommend for wine tasting and a light bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room to improvepickyeaterDined on 3/28/2014In the heart of Bethesda, Vino Volo has a great location. Went there for a recent Saturday dinner. Wine tasting concept seems sound and the wines we tasted were good. Food was a disappointment. Not particularly exceptional or memorable. Not on par with the wine. Too bad, because we like the space and the ambience. Room was warm, and reasonably quite. Could hold a conversation without shouting, unlike a lot of places these days. Might be back for an after movie glass of vino. Wouldn't make a special trip to eat there.Special Features:
- Vino Volo on a weeknightChrisGw52VIPDined on 3/19/2014I went to Vino Volo with 3 friends after a movie. We were first seated next to a very large (loud) party near the door. I asked if we could be moved to another table and they were accomodating. The second table was more private, less noisy and not as cold - away from the door. The wine was very good and the food was good. Price wise, with wine its on the high end of "moderate" I've been there before and will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect place for a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/14/2014The perfect place for a great glass of wine and snacks pre the movies in Bethesda--and as a bonus, happy hour prices are excellent then, too. Would also recommend for other occasions as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an amazing placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/11/2014I'm super excited that I discovered the Vino Volo is opening a actual restaurant locations. I love the idea and there is so much attention to detail put into the presentation of the store it's incredible. The staff at this particular location is always been overly friendly and extremely knowledgeable about their wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/15/2014Wine flights and small plates were ideal for our girls night out. Large group next to us was a bit loud so was hard to talk but was fine before they showed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our meal but wereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/15/2014We enjoyed our meal but were surprised that the portions were so small. It looks like they changed their menu around. I think they need to switch it back to the way it was last year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to Vino Volo on Valentine'sMaryDined on 2/14/2014We went to Vino Volo on Valentine's Day, the place is nice and the attention is really good. What we didn't like was that on this day they had a different menu that we were not interested, that was definitely not our lucky day.Special Features:
- The fix prix menu for Valentine'sBethChChVIPDined on 2/14/2014The fix prix menu for Valentine's Day was divine! Very Well doneSpecial Features:
- Incredible wine listChefWhoDinesOutVIPDined on 1/31/2014Just went for a quick bite before a movie, and was really impressed with the speed of the food and the knowledge of the servers regarding both the wine and food. Can't wait to return. Also, Happy Hour specials are great. Monday through Friday, 4 to 7. One of the best Happy Hours in Bethesda.Special Features:
- Very averageJaySDined on 1/25/2014The food was below average. I would consider going there just for some wine. The place is very nice.Special Features:
- "Vine Not?"EmmyVIPDined on 1/16/2014People this is more than "that wine place" you keep walking by in downtown Bethesda. Stop in, it'll be worth the visit. They have food, and not just accompaniments with a flight of wine, but a delicious stand alone menu. They don't seem to busy at lunch so it's a great quiet mid-day meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not really so cleversfrietenorVIPDined on 1/10/2014it aeemed like a great idea but it really was not. the food was very mediocre and frankly the menu was just nothing to smile at. HAve a glass of wine then dine elsewhereSpecial Features:
- Vino Vollo food is great!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/10/2014I didn't know that this fun wine bar in Bethesda had delicious food. A great place to go pre or post movie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for flightsFoodDudeDined on 1/3/2014The flights of wine are fun to sample, but the wine list is not extraordinary. We had meats and cheeses (generous portions, but not particularly special) and a few small plates. Menu reads well, but nothing exceeds a B. Decent place for friends who like wine to meet for a flight and a light meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013Had a great meal and the diversity of wine with each serving was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/23/2013Favorable transition from airport wine bar to local restaurant. Great stop before or after a movie next door. Singles with laptops, couples, and groups can enjoy wine flights and small plates in a casual atmosphere. Server pleasant, helpful, and informative without being intrusive. A very nice addition to Bethesda row.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like this new spotSailor123VIPDined on 12/21/2013Nice addition to the restaurant scene. Love the wine flights but wish they would use nicer wines. The bottle prices are good, so take that route. Food is quite good, esp the little pizzas. Don't recommend the meatballs, they were dry, not very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Obscure wines at high pricesRWoodBVIPDined on 12/13/2013The food is very good, but the wines are priced higher than their quality warrants. They do not compare favorably to wines I can purchase by the case at less than one-third of what Vino Volvo charges. A comparison I based by comparison shopping two other wine stores where I shop regularly. The very small double espresso is overpriced at $6.
- Great MentoringOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/2/2013They willingly teach you about varied wines. Offers great deals on trial glasses (tablet). The service is very personable. Great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findLocalDinerVIPDined on 11/27/2013What a delightful departure from the Bethesda, MD, restaurant scene. Great and affordable wines, terrific menu for knoshing or a full dinner, exceedingly helpful wait staff and management -- and sane enough for genteel conversation. We really enjoyed it and will be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.