Vino Volo - Bethesda
7243 Woodmont Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vino Volo - Bethesda
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vinovolobethesdarow.com/
- Phone: (301)656-0916x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am. HAPPY HOUR: Monday - Friday, 4 - 7 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Bebel Kim
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live music most Thursday nights! Check out our facebook page or stop by for a flight, glass, or bottle, and check it out!
- Special Events: - LADIES NIGHT EVERY WEDNESDAY
- HAPPY HOUR M - F 4 - 7 PM
- PRIVATE EVENT SPACE AVAILABLE
- PATIO SEATING - FIRST COME/FIRST SERVE
- Cross Street: Elm St.
- Public Transit: One block east of the Bethesda Metro station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: VALET PARKING - At Woodmont avenue in front of Vino Volo
Available Daily at 5pm | $10
*$7 at sponsored restaurants
PUBLIC PARKING - There are 16 public garages or lots with over 6,600 spaces and 766 on-street meters within walking distance of the movies, shops and restaurants. Garage and lot public parking is FREE on Saturdays, Sunday and holidays.
A word from Vino Volo - Bethesda
Welcome to Vino Volo! We invite you to come join us for the best selection of wine in Bethesda, while pairing it with our incredible menu. Share a glass with friends in our cozy, warm atmosphere and experience the best service and wine knowledge in the city. We look forward to seeing you, and cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Vino Volo - Bethesda - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Vino Volo - Bethesda reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (11)romantic (7)late-night find (7)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (5)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (2)fit for foodies (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- EnjoyableSpiralArchDined on 9/6/2014We weren't impressed by the wine offerings but the food was very satisfying. Good place for a happy hour or casual late night dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 8/16/2014We went with a group of eight people and they were very accommodating. Great wine selection and excellent light fare. Great location in the heart of Bethesda and a wonderful place to enjoy some wine and appetizers before dinner in one of bethesda's many restaurants. Would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Bethesda Wine BarChefWhoDinesOutVIPDined on 7/6/2014Wow. What a great find in Bethesda. The wine list is amazing, the prices are great, and the service is impeccable, as are the house-made specialties like the chicken pate, arancini, and bread pudding. Best bread pudding I've ever had, and I get it everywhere I go. The staff was extremely knowledgeable, and they seemed like they were enjoying working as much as I was having drinks! The live music was incredible, and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 109 reviews are from the Vino Volo - Bethesda reviews archive.
- great findopointsbradDined on 5/10/2014this place is a great find for people who love wine and great food. Service was great and lots of variety to choose from for eating and lite bites. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Much better than expectedcaptainlaserDined on 5/10/2014We saw ambivalent reviews on Vino Volo and did not have a similar experience. They were trying out a new fish talapia dish which was outstanding and their small plates were more than small. We did not leave hungry. Their wine flights were interesting and quite varied (six different flights... 18 wines). The size of the plates was comparable to Jaleo nearby and the dining experience was actually quieter. You have lots of good options on the block and if you are going for a movie in Bethesda, you have lots of very good reasonable cost options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming SpoteatingoutDined on 5/8/2014We had a great time at Vino Volo. They have outdoor seating, a nice inside bar, tables near their big glass windows and eating area. Their wine selection was nice. I loved their wine flights - they're great for learning more about wine/trying different types of wines. The food was simple (in the nicest way), delicious and fresh. Their arugula and barley and field greens with citrus salads and Pizzetta Salsiccia was particularly good. The service was friendly. It's a charming spot to go for a glass of wine and small snacks with friends, lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy wine and munch - Vino VololeniVIPDined on 5/3/2014Their speciality is wine and they serve it by the flight, glass or bottle. the wines are varied and good. I love the food - both variety and size choice. You can have small plates or real entrée size meals. We were two and had a charcuterie plate, salad to split, chicken pate and one additional dish. they were all tasty and perfectly sized. Our wait person was good and knowledgeable. It is a fun place for a not fancy but excellent dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine and foodFoodieDined on 5/2/2014Great wine list and nice food pairings. Service is iffy.Special Features:
- Menu ChangedOaktownDined on 4/7/2014Because the menu has changed somewhat Vino is no longer my first restuarant choice; I would consider it for a light bite to eat and a glass of wine before going to the movies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for wine tasting and a biteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/4/2014Great wine list and service. Creative food. Almonds were addictive. The salmon roll was ok. Great ambiance. Would recommend for wine tasting and a light bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room to improvepickyeaterDined on 3/28/2014In the heart of Bethesda, Vino Volo has a great location. Went there for a recent Saturday dinner. Wine tasting concept seems sound and the wines we tasted were good. Food was a disappointment. Not particularly exceptional or memorable. Not on par with the wine. Too bad, because we like the space and the ambience. Room was warm, and reasonably quite. Could hold a conversation without shouting, unlike a lot of places these days. Might be back for an after movie glass of vino. Wouldn't make a special trip to eat there.Special Features:
- Vino Volo on a weeknightChrisGw52VIPDined on 3/19/2014I went to Vino Volo with 3 friends after a movie. We were first seated next to a very large (loud) party near the door. I asked if we could be moved to another table and they were accomodating. The second table was more private, less noisy and not as cold - away from the door. The wine was very good and the food was good. Price wise, with wine its on the high end of "moderate" I've been there before and will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect place for a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/14/2014The perfect place for a great glass of wine and snacks pre the movies in Bethesda--and as a bonus, happy hour prices are excellent then, too. Would also recommend for other occasions as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an amazing placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/11/2014I'm super excited that I discovered the Vino Volo is opening a actual restaurant locations. I love the idea and there is so much attention to detail put into the presentation of the store it's incredible. The staff at this particular location is always been overly friendly and extremely knowledgeable about their wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/15/2014Wine flights and small plates were ideal for our girls night out. Large group next to us was a bit loud so was hard to talk but was fine before they showed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our meal but wereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/15/2014We enjoyed our meal but were surprised that the portions were so small. It looks like they changed their menu around. I think they need to switch it back to the way it was last year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to Vino Volo on Valentine'sMaryDined on 2/14/2014We went to Vino Volo on Valentine's Day, the place is nice and the attention is really good. What we didn't like was that on this day they had a different menu that we were not interested, that was definitely not our lucky day.Special Features:
- The fix prix menu for Valentine'sBethChChVIPDined on 2/14/2014The fix prix menu for Valentine's Day was divine! Very Well doneSpecial Features:
- Incredible wine listChefWhoDinesOutVIPDined on 1/31/2014Just went for a quick bite before a movie, and was really impressed with the speed of the food and the knowledge of the servers regarding both the wine and food. Can't wait to return. Also, Happy Hour specials are great. Monday through Friday, 4 to 7. One of the best Happy Hours in Bethesda.Special Features:
- Very averageJaySDined on 1/25/2014The food was below average. I would consider going there just for some wine. The place is very nice.Special Features:
- "Vine Not?"EmmyVIPDined on 1/16/2014People this is more than "that wine place" you keep walking by in downtown Bethesda. Stop in, it'll be worth the visit. They have food, and not just accompaniments with a flight of wine, but a delicious stand alone menu. They don't seem to busy at lunch so it's a great quiet mid-day meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not really so cleversfrietenorVIPDined on 1/10/2014it aeemed like a great idea but it really was not. the food was very mediocre and frankly the menu was just nothing to smile at. HAve a glass of wine then dine elsewhereSpecial Features:
- Vino Vollo food is great!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/10/2014I didn't know that this fun wine bar in Bethesda had delicious food. A great place to go pre or post movie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for flightsFoodDudeDined on 1/3/2014The flights of wine are fun to sample, but the wine list is not extraordinary. We had meats and cheeses (generous portions, but not particularly special) and a few small plates. Menu reads well, but nothing exceeds a B. Decent place for friends who like wine to meet for a flight and a light meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013Had a great meal and the diversity of wine with each serving was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/23/2013Favorable transition from airport wine bar to local restaurant. Great stop before or after a movie next door. Singles with laptops, couples, and groups can enjoy wine flights and small plates in a casual atmosphere. Server pleasant, helpful, and informative without being intrusive. A very nice addition to Bethesda row.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like this new spotSailor123VIPDined on 12/21/2013Nice addition to the restaurant scene. Love the wine flights but wish they would use nicer wines. The bottle prices are good, so take that route. Food is quite good, esp the little pizzas. Don't recommend the meatballs, they were dry, not very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Obscure wines at high pricesRWoodBVIPDined on 12/13/2013The food is very good, but the wines are priced higher than their quality warrants. They do not compare favorably to wines I can purchase by the case at less than one-third of what Vino Volvo charges. A comparison I based by comparison shopping two other wine stores where I shop regularly. The very small double espresso is overpriced at $6.
- Great MentoringOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/2/2013They willingly teach you about varied wines. Offers great deals on trial glasses (tablet). The service is very personable. Great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findLocalDinerVIPDined on 11/27/2013What a delightful departure from the Bethesda, MD, restaurant scene. Great and affordable wines, terrific menu for knoshing or a full dinner, exceedingly helpful wait staff and management -- and sane enough for genteel conversation. We really enjoyed it and will be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's a Bistro for?EdFinnDined on 11/17/2013Vino Volo is a mostly quiet little restaurant among a boatload of eateries in downtown Bethesda. If you like wines and to even experiment with them, Vino Volo is the place. Flights of paired wines [e.g., 3 pinot noirs: California, Willemette & France] are available as well as single glasses. The food's very high quality but don't come here looking for steak frites or grilled pork chops. It's a place to sample flavors like wild boar salami with a local blue cheese. Their pizza is a speciality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Bethesda ResturantFoodieDined on 11/16/2013This place was great. The wine list was complex and the menu was simple. For what little food was on the menu it was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met with friend and we hadSilgocreekVIPDined on 11/6/2013Met with friend and we had a great time. We. Were able to have a conversation without straining which was fantastic.Special Features:
- Just RightKJJAVIPDined on 10/18/2013Love the wine flight selections, small plates and quiet, warm atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the wine flightsPurveyorofFineFoodVIPDined on 10/5/2013Vino Volo offers wine flights where you can try 2-3 different wines that they have selected. It is a fantastic way to try several wines at once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun way to do a wine tastingnicknameVIPDined on 10/3/2013fun way to do a wine tasting - and buy wine food was also goodSpecial Features:
- This is a fun place. TheyleniVIPDined on 9/20/2013This is a fun place. They serve wines by the glass or by the "flight" There are three glasses in a flight - each the size of 1/3 regular glass. It is a good way to taste a variety of wines. Service was excellent; food is casual and very good. It is a fun place to go for a casual and yet excellent evening!Special Features:
- Wine and CheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/12/2013Went for the wine and to catch up with a friend. Great location for a little girl talk! Wine with cheese and meat plate, what can be better??? They have a great selection of cheese and meats to choose from and the servers are knowledgable about pairing. The wine flights are a great deal, and they have an awesome selection, including single wines by the glass. I did a quick browse in the connected store and that is worth stopping in, as well. They do have a full menu of entrees, which I will have to plan to go back to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why noone is thereJillnancyVIPDined on 9/8/2013We were the only ones at the restaurant although most other restaurants on the block were busy. I think there is a problem with many things at this restaurant. First of all, if someone wants a glass of wine, most of the costs are between $12 and $15 per glass which is crazy expensive. The most cost effective choice is a flight of 3 wines (1/3 glass each) of 3 different types of wine. The problem here is that if you don't like all types of white wine, for example, like sauvignon blanc, which I don't like, you are stuck with 3 types of white wine. All I wanted was a glass or 2 of wine, but I was unwilling to spend $30 for that.
- Local restaurant makes goodEdFinnDined on 9/2/2013Vino Volo is located along a block of vibrant restaurants in "downtown" Bethesda. Many, including Vino Volo, have outdoor seating; however, inside there is usually quiet [and cool] while outside you have pedestrians and cars passing all the time day or evening. If you like experimenting with wines, this is the place to visit. Flights [usually of three] similar wines are offered at a most reasonable price as well as full glasses of of wine. All of this is great fun. The food is particularly interesting [ever try wild boar salami?]. And almost all dishes on the menu may be ordered in half portions, so sampling food can interact with the wines you select. A staff that is interested in helping you select. Come for one of their tastings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.