Vinifera Wine Bar & Bistro
11750 Sunrise Valley Drive
Reston, VA 20191Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vinifera Wine Bar & Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.viniferabistro.com/
- Phone: (703) 234-3550
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 10:30am; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: John-Michael Hamlet
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Vinifera offers on and off site catering to accommodate your business, or personal needs.
- Private Party Contact: Atef Tayari (703)234-3508 x
- Special Events: Please contact Vinifera to inquire about our featured events for the month.
A word from Vinifera Wine Bar & Bistro
Surrounded by the warm feeling of a chic and contemporary atmosphere that encourages conversation, Vinifera is an urban sanctuary in one of America's most renowned suburbs. The unique and sophisticated bistro is a place to have your senses invigorated by every aspect of your visit - from the mouth-watering food to the unforgettable service and welcoming environment. With a focus on seasonal, local and organic ingredients, Executive Chef Bo Polker serves globally-influenced New American cuisine for lunch and dinner. A variety of pintxos (one bites), small plates and entrees are available in the intimate bar & lounge area, illuminated dining room and outdoor patio, featuring custom hand-made Hawaiian fire pits. Sommelier Nicole Bernard meticulously pairs our inspired dishes with a variety over 300 wines by the bottle and 30 selections by the glass poured from an Enomatic system behind the bar.Continued
Vinifera is more than just a restaurant – it’s a happening experience .
Vinifera is more than just a restaurant – it’s a happening experience .
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Vinifera Wine Bar & Bistro - Best Restaurants in Reston ›
Vinifera Wine Bar & Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (21)great for outdoor dining (16)fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (13)romantic (11)special occasion (9)great for lunch (6)good for groups (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Vinifera is a great findunionlawyerVIPDined on 10/25/2014My special friend and I always enjoy dinner and drinks at Vinifera. We had a terrific meal and a wonderful time.Special Features:
- A FavoriteJen14212VIPDined on 10/23/2014Wine selection, food and service is outstanding every single time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairly expensive for the servingsVACJDined on 10/18/2014The focus of the restaurant is wine, which included a good selection. Enjoyed the hearty bread basket and the entrees we all had were well prepared, but it was expensive for the type of food. Might come back for wine and appetizers outside next to the fire pits in the future, that sounds like a good way to take advantage of the best features of the location (in the Westin Hotel.)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014The food and ambiance were terrific. We ate outside, which was quiet and great for the group setting we were in. The only issue we had was service towards the end..the waitress forgot about us and we had to track her downdown to get the check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something differentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed a lovely anniversary dinner at Vinifera. We were drawn there by the wine list and were not disappointed. The staff was very attentive and helped make the evening special. The sommelier's wine suggestion (which was different than the suggestion in the menu) was outstanding and very affordable. The food was delicious albeit the presentation was a little lacking. Usually when one orders duck breast in a restaurant, it comes sliced or in medallions. We were a little surprised to be presented with a chunk of duck sitting in a puddle of sweet potato puree. It tasted lovely for all that it was visually unexpected.Special Features:
- Surprise!SurpriseVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had been tin Vinifera for a happy hour get-together and decided to try it on a Saturday night. Excellent food and service - a good, quiet place as an alternative to Reston Town Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was bad ....KarlaVIPDined on 8/23/2014We got there and there was no hostest, we had to wait for long and finally when we got sitted our waitres wasnt in her best mood , it long to take our order and when she did she toon long to deliver. Never came toask if we need it anything else. Another lady came and there was 2 tables sitted in the whole restaurant. Very poor service
- Good hotel restaurantKaylaVIPDined on 8/16/2014Food was good, bread was excellent. Service is sloppy, and slow. Waitress was too loud and sloppy and felt rushed.Special Features:
- Great nightCaraDined on 8/16/2014Have eaten here many times, but this was definitely the best. Restaurant menu was awesome, and the waitress was great in helping us pick out a good bottle of wine. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- InterestingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was wonderful. The service was slow at the beginning but picked up so much that we were very impressed with our server. It was like they had to wake up. The cocktails, unfortunately, were too exotic and were not as successful as the food. That is why only four stars instead of five.Special Features:
- Great for outdoor diningViniferaDined on 8/15/2014The outdoors at this restaurant is the best place to sit. The inside is very loud. The food was fresh, good and the service was good. We will return.Special Features:
- Slow service Good foodLuckyLindaDined on 8/15/2014We were under the impression that Vinifera was participating in Restaurant Week so we made a reservation for lunch. When we got there they said they were only having special menus for dinner. We stayed and priced out three course meals for the same $20.14 price. The food was very good. The service at first was good but we had to wait forever to order desert and to pay the check. We did not get drink refills toward the end of our stay.. The restaurant was almost empty. There were two tables inside and several outside so a crowded restaurant was not the problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suzyDined on 8/13/2014Hard to find, no signs, unsure where to park. Only a few people at the restaurant. Wine expensive
- Service consistently disappointingjdubbyaVIPDined on 8/13/2014I've been here 3 times. Pros: - The food is good. I really enjoy the small "tapas style" plates and sliders. - It's never very crowded since it's tucked away in a weird corner. I had the address in my GPS and still had to circle a few times then finally call for directions the first time. - Nice outdoor space - "Sale" wine bottle list is nice when I don't want to spend $50 on a bottle Cons: - The waitstaff was VERY slow all 3 times I went. The last 2 times I had to ask another waitperson passing by to find my waiter and ask him to bring us the check.Special Features:
- The following 754 reviews are from the Vinifera Wine Bar & Bistro reviews archive.
- Disappointed.BirdieDined on 7/29/2014I was very disappointed in the food. This was my second experience here, and I ordered some of the same dishes. Some were absolutely terrible, and I am not a harsh critic. I loved the service and ambience, but go here for drinks only. This was a special event, and I was embarrassed by the food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014The restaurant needs to answer the phone. They never came by to ask how the food was and took forever to serve and seemed very unhappy generally, no smiles.
- Super placecjbulDined on 7/19/2014Quiet, intimate, and never crowded. Great wine. Food is always good. Staff is attentive. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- A great restaurant!SSHpsychVIPDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant is one in which you can actually hear your friends speak! The wait staff was very nice. Our server saw that my granddaughter was feeling poorly and brought her a smoothie. The cranberry bread is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Happy Hour in Reston!MattVIPDined on 7/11/2014Vinifera has become our go-to place for meeting friends from Leesburg for Happy Hour! We meet their relatively early, get lured in by the delicious house red wine special, and then next thing you know we're still hanging out two hours later. What's really fun is that you can create your own cheese board in addition to all of the delicious small plate options they offer. Fun place in an odd location! We'll be back.Special Features:
- Lunch and Dinner secretRichVIPDined on 7/10/2014I had lunch here twice this week and both were quiet with upscale food selection and a very nice atmosphere. One of the few places you can choose low medium or higher priced items and still have good choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- self-serve wineadrdoolittleVIPDined on 7/8/2014Great for HH, pre-dinner or post-dinner drinks. Wish the outdoor area was more cozy, but overall an ok place to hang out for an hour or so people-watching.
- Great findbarbaramDined on 7/7/2014First time here and was very pleasantly surprised. Both in and outdoor dining was beautiful. The wine list is expansive and you can creat your own flights. We enjoyed small bites and tapas and they were all exquisitely prepared and delicious.Special Features:
- Great fare at ViniferaRichVIPDined on 7/7/2014They always have a great menu to choose from, and not just the usual fare. Their food choices are fresh and always a difficult choice, due to multiple great options. My lunch partner was surprised at how reasonable the prices were, though it can go high if you choose it to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blown2awayDined on 7/5/2014Food was excellent---service could be improved. It was our first time and we really enjoyed the food! Kudos to the Chef!Special Features:
- One of our favorite placesrestondinerVIPDined on 7/4/2014We love dining at Vinifera. The food is excellent as well as the service. Whatever we have eaten has been expertly prepared with fresh ingredients. We have dined here many times and never been disappointed. The chef changed about a year ago but the quality of the food is still great. We love the desserts which are unique. Today we had a deconstructed black forrest cake and enjoyed every bit of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ViniferaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014This was the third time visiting Vinifera Wine Bar & Bistro. Each time it was a pleasurable experience. We ordered Chilean Sea bass, Halibut, and Salmon during the three visits and each time and it was very tasteful and presented superbly. Definitely now a favorite. You can tell the vegetables are fresh, they grow their own on the patio. Try the deconstructed PB&J (peanut butter & jelly sandwich) for desert. I've never had a PBJ delivered and presented in such a dignified way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodRedWineWithDinnerDined on 6/21/2014We have always enjoyed our meals here. Went as a group of 4 a couple of nights ago. It was DC restaurant week and a couple of us ordered off that menu (fixed price, appetizer, entrée, dessert). The plates were very tasty but small. I ordered tuna off the main menu and it was good, not great, with a better sized portion. Great wine list - a wine lover's restaurant for sure. Nice looking bar area and good ambiance overall. Very nice to sit outside. Heat lamps if it's chilly.Special Features:
- A little disappointedSandyVIPDined on 6/21/2014We have been here 8 or 10 times before. I like to come because it is quiet and we can talk. This time there was a retirement party in the bar that was very loud. We were given a table very close to the party. The halibut was dry and the pasta was soggy. The 6 ounce serving of wine looked lost in the big wine glass. I will give the restaurant another chance but I won't recommend the place, for now.Special Features:
- Excellent MealunionlawyerVIPDined on 6/15/2014My dinner and I had an excellent dinner with a well selected bottle of wine. We ate on the Patio on a beautiful evening. The first courses and main courses were excellent. We are both primarily pescatarians and the seafood offerings were fresh and well donne.Special Features:
- BobGDined on 6/15/2014The Sea Bass was great as usual. This was my fourth visit to Vinifera. The Sea Bass just gets better every time.Special Features:
- Happy Hour at Vinifera was spot on!MattVIPDined on 6/13/2014My wife and I wanted to meet some friends for happy hour who were coming from Leesburg and Arlington, so we chose Vinifera due to it's location someplace in between. We do not regret the decision, because the happy hour specials were awesome, and our server was so fun that we stayed beyond the happy hour and ordered more food and drinks and were extremely happy! The place is not the easiest to find, but there is plenty of parking, and you don't feel pressured. We tasted the sliders (tuna, crab, chicken), tuna tartar, and cheese platter, and they were all awesome with the wines our server helped us select. She was also spot on suggesting cheeses! Definitely recommend Vinifera if you're in the area.Special Features:
- Nice Quiet LunchtomcatterVIPDined on 6/11/2014Made reservations for a late (2:30pm) lunch and found nobody around. Had to track down the chef in the kitchen who later called staff to seat us. Enjoyed salmon sandwich with local grown greens and fries. Nothing special, just a good quiet lunch with nice ambience. Will visit again when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT FOODDannyVIPDined on 6/6/2014Restaurant is conveniently located in the Westin. The is parking around the back. The service is fast and staff is very pleasant. Appetizer Duck Confit Hunter’s Stew.....Amazing. Been here quite a few times now and love love love it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/4/2014Very pleasant restaurant and great service but the food this time was very mediocre--very dry squares of chicken in the chopped chicken saladSpecial Features:
- Biusiness MeetingcigarmacVIPDined on 6/2/2014Three of us met for a meeting over good food, a quiet atmosphere, and great service. We each had a different salad and they were all excellent. I enjoyed the jumbo crab on mine and really relished it. The service was much better than other places in the area, since they were not overcrowded. I highly recommend Vinifera for quiet lunches, a place where you can hear each other talk, and excellent service.Special Features:
- Exceptional in Every WayPerkDined on 5/31/2014Not sure their website does this place justice. While going to the website does find it very appealing, it was much better in person. Everything was top notch...the service, the ambiance, the wine list, and the signature dishes! It was a gorgeous evening so we sat out on the terrace. Perfect night! A great place for an intimate dinner or a group celebrating a special event. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Hangout for Hotel Meeting AttendeesBillVIPDined on 5/30/2014Not good for kids. When meetings finish at hotel restaurant fills up with noisy attendees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a special night outHowdydoodyDined on 5/27/2014We celebrated a special birthday with a special friend. Vinifera was perfect allowing us to order a collection of small plates and bottles of wine. We We were able to chat without waiters hovering and when we ran out of food we just ordered some more small plates and wine. The main meals also looked delicious but we stuck with the small plates and bites. The restaurant is comfortable and spacious with a friendly atmosphere.Special Features:
- The best in RestonBrianDined on 5/24/2014Vinifera has risen to my favorite restaurant in the area, and my wife's too. The small plate ("tapas") dishes are wonderful, allowing for a broad tasting of amazing food at a more moderate price than when ordering entrees. The relaxed, unhurried atmosphere makes for the oasis of a wonderful dining experience in swirling sea of hurry. How nice is that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day OuttingJoeCDined on 5/17/2014My mother and I had a great time here. Their champaign flight was awesome. We loved the food. Overall, it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.