Vine Street Cafe
41 South Ferry Road
Shelter Island, NY 11964Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Vine Street Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vinestreetcafe.com/
- Phone: 6317493210x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon: 5pm - 10pm
Tues: 5pm - 10pm
Wed: 5pm - 10pm
Thurs: 5pm - 10pm
Fri: 5pm - 11pm
Sat: 5pm - 11pm
Sun: 5pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Terry Harwood<br><br><b>Executive Pastry Chef:</b> Lisa Murphy Harwood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Vine Street Cafe
Chef/Owners Lisa & Terry Harwood opened Vine Street Cafe in 2003. Located on South Ferry Road, just 1.5 miles from the South Ferry. Chef Terry works with area farmers, fishermen & vineyards and features their natural bounty on his seasonal menus. We make everything in house and Lisa's desserts, ice creams and fruit crisps are no exception. Recently, we opened a small market behind the restaurant. This is where you pick up take-out orders while stocking your home pantry. Specialty catering is available along with ready fresh meals such as meatballs, chicken salad, bread, smoked ribs, BBQ Sauce and a selection of artisan pastas. Reservations are highly recommended year round.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Vine Street Cafe - Best Restaurants in Shelter Island ›
Vine Street Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)neighborhood gem (43)special occasion (37)romantic (33)great for outdoor dining (27)good for groups (18)hot spot (17)notable wine list (17)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- a bit disapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/27/2014I have been going to vine street once a summer since the year it open in 2003 (i think). every year i look foward to having dinner there and this Summer was no different. The place is still beautiful and the service was wonderful but i sadly must admit that the food was disapointing - i had the miso salmon which i get every year & it was overdrenched in miso paste & the spinach i ordered, was soggy and over cooked - my wife had the curry chicken and it was the same situation, slopped on sauce. the homemade organic ice cream was like ices and not creamy and the pinot noir by the glass was just average. The prices went up significantly as well. I am still going back in 2015, maybe in off season when the chef is relaxed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good but needed more staffHeathcliffVIPDined on 8/25/2014Usually it's a seamless experience but perhaps because it's a busy holiday/ vacation week and college kids have returned to school, they were clearly understaffed and we waited a long time for drinks and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreWillDined on 8/24/2014Previously, The food, atmosphere, and service were excellent. This time, the service was bad. We waited for water after we were seated, our dinner sides were not brought out until we were almost done with the entree. Way too expensive for mediocre
- Somewhat overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014We dined here while on Shelter Island- we were told we "had to!" it was "the best!". Overrated. Might be the fault of all the hype raising our expectations, and the waiter's insistence that "everything is so good here, you can't go wrong" which encouraged us to not ask too many questions and to order "interesting" things instead of standards. The appetizers/salads were either uninspired (tomato/feta salad) or bad (scallop ceviche- scallops were tiny and "soapy"). The mains were very good - duck confit and funghi pasta - but not at the price. Would have preferred an understated gem to this overrated "hot spot".
- Shelter island gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Vine street is great and we have been coming here for years - this past visit I felt like I was in the kids section - just because families come we all don't need to put together - at the prices we would enjoy other parts of the restaurant -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spot for an excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2014We frequent Vine Street and always enjoy the experience. It is very "Shelter Island". Low key but fun with great food.Special Features:
- Price Fix issueCarlMDined on 8/6/2014My group of 4 was visiting shelter Island and we wanted to return to Vine St. Cafe. I checked their web site and saw they offered a $39 price fix option from 5-6pm. I made a reservation for 6pm. When we were seated we were not given the Price Fix menus. When I asked for it I was told it ended at 5:45pm. I wondered if I read it wrong on their web site. As I was checking it on my phone the hostess came to our table with the Price Fix menu and with an attitude told us we had to be seated by 5:45 for Price fix but she would make a one time exception for us. Printed on the price Fix menu it states it is available 5 to 6pm. All the food and service was great. Even with Price Fix our check for 4 was $280. May not return due to snooty attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the BouillabaisseSesherDined on 8/4/2014Every year when I plan our summer vacation to Shelter Island, we always make sure we are here over a Monday. We so enjoy the Bouillabaisse. The other meals at the table were equally delicious. Steak and chicken. The house salad is a bit weak, especially for $11. Otherwise, Kevin our server was very attentive. The drinks were excellent too. We will always stop by on a Monday whenever we are on the Island!Special Features:
- Monday bouillabaisse is a treat.FoodiesDined on 8/4/2014Made a point to go for this special on Monday night. Restaurant was packed...always a good sign. Worth the trip... Bouillabaisse was fantastic. Hubby had stripped bass which is his favorite fish, he thought it was just ok.great wine list. Pretty place that we have seen grow from a one room cafe to a full fledged indoor outdoor elegant destination. Worth the yearly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vacation FunmemnightDined on 8/1/2014They took care of us here. Great experience. We had a 9pm reservation, so it wasn't such a crazy time for the staff. Winding down of the end of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014We enjoyed a fantastic dinner at Vine Street Cafe! After booking our reservation online, we promptly received a call from the hostess to confirm. Upon arrival, we were welcomed warmly, and then decided to sit at the bar for a drink before dinner. Cocktails at the bar were great - perfectly shaken. Our server made some fantastic recommendations, highlighting the outstanding local produce. We tried the squash blossoms stuffed with a local goat cheese - incredible. For our entrees, we shared the seared prawns and a grilled strip steak - both were really delicious. We both enjoyed fantastic local wines with dinner. For dessert, we tried the chef's cheese plate, which was simply outstanding - a really nice alternative to a conventional dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPupsterDined on 7/30/2014Food was good, but too expensive for what we had. Servicers very knowledgeable and patient. Limited menu. Looked pretty at night, but not during daylight. Rustic outside not inviting in daylight. Crowded and noisy after 7pm Would not go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingMarsy83Dined on 7/25/2014My husband and I heard wonderful things about Vine Street and we just had the opportunity to make it to Shelter Island last week. Everything we heard it's true! The food is great, they have options for everyone (if you are a picky eater) The place is so beautiful and cozy. And the Service is good. Definitely coming back, I can't wait to try everything on the menu!Special Features:
- DisappointingFrankVIPDined on 7/20/2014As residents of Shelter Island, Vine Street has been our "go to" spot for a special evening. Despite the high prices both food and service were disappointing. If you are going to charge $50 for a filet, you should have the ability to prepare it. I requested medium rare and it was raw in the center. After going back for a second cooking the center was still very rare. The pasta was overcooked. Patron Silver tequila was not available and the suggested replacement was positively undrinkable. This despite another very good tequila available that we actually enjoyed. And no apologies from the management. Sadly, we, the entire clan have crossed this one off of our list.Special Features:
- Great food.Nice place.Bad service.lik2etoutDined on 7/17/2014I usually do not complain about restaurants, but since it was my anniversary and I had heard great things about the Vine Street Café, I had high expectations. While the food and ambience lived up to its reputation, the service didn't and I was disappointed. At least 4-5 wait staff were moving around our outside seating area and yet none of them could coordinate simple service. I'm not sure if regulars and recognizable people received good service and people not falling into either of those characters did not, but that should never happen in a restaurant, especially a seasonal hot spot like this which can as quickly fall out of favor, as in!Special Features:
- A Great Find on Shelter IslandGlobalphileVIPDined on 7/16/2014I had a great dinner on Shelter with a perfect 3 course prix fixe menu. The service was great and the decor is really perfect for the setting. I highly recommend it!!Special Features:
- Rustic chicOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2014The menu and food are excellent. Atmosphere is rustic chic. It is just a delight to be there on wonderful Shelter Island. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- A go to restaurantLisaDined on 7/13/2014I have never ever been disappointed by this restaurant, it is first class. I go year after year and never in any way do I ever feel as if they enjoyed their success and were now living off that-service, food, location and I must say the cleanliness of the place is so ATTRACTIVE.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysGordonDined on 7/11/2014Reliably great food and service. Possibly the best restaurant on the island.Special Features:
- superbrlange2499Dined on 7/9/2014Expensive but worth every penny. The steaks are served precisely as ordered. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The dishes was soo AmazingGigiDined on 7/7/2014I got the seafood pasta .. Best if I Had so far .. Best east coast oysters .. Calamari salad omg Amazing..Oh wait till you get your bread.. Homemade hot crispy French bread.. The wine was divine..loved the decor .. Kinda contemp rustic .. Must go too placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails!LIteacherVIPDined on 7/5/2014Another delicious meal with wonderful service! The Saturday night duck confit special is something to write home about. The staff is uniformly friendly and attentive, and sundown over Shelter Island makes the location even more beautiful.Special Features:
- Unwelcome to Vine StCivilityCountsVIPDined on 7/4/2014We arrived 1/2 early for a recent Saturday night 8 pm reservation, expecting to have to wait. We did. At 8, I approached the front desk and asked how it was coming with our table. The hostess sneered "Mr. x, it's 8:02". We were seated 10 mns later. The food was good, but not great. I have eaten there many times - not many choices on Shelter Island. Overall, Vine St remains a restaurant undone by the front of the house. It's about as gracious a welcome as a pig at a wedding.Special Features:
- Lovely spot for dinnerNofoFoodieDined on 7/4/2014Popular dinner choice for summer groups and couples. Very nice menu, all local ingredients, friendly service. Perfect place to bring out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedLimuloidDined on 7/1/2014I had heard very good things about this resturaunt and was disappointed by my experience. The food was good. My steak tasty. My fries were cold. Service was friendly when they got to you, but for the price level I expected more basic service - no water, we wanted a second round of drinks and no one came by until basically we were done with ou meal. We had gone to 18 Bay resturaunt the night before - food was great, perfect service - I would go back there, but not vine st.
- I'm the exceptionPickVIPDined on 7/1/2014Most of my friends think this place is great. I find it a very limited menu and very expensive... but guess that's just me.
- Fire the manager, keep the chef!RuthVIPDined on 6/30/2014Service was nonexistent. We waited 25 minutes before anyone came over to table. We finally stopped someone and asked" are you our waiter? he said " No, but I will be." This has happened before, particularly on holiday weekends in summer. The food is very good; too bad, we will wait until winter to try again. This didn't use to happen. Maybe they need a new manager, and keep the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/23/2014tried to order the bouillabaisse which was the Monday night printed special. However we were told they were out. twenty minutes later, the next table ordered the bouillabaisse???? didn't get a chance to question our waiter because he was terrible. However the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner, not perfectmrsmDined on 6/22/2014The menu isn't large, but the choices we made were good. The beet salad was wonderful, the miso salmon & paparadelle were enjoyed as main courses. The waiter was friendly but I think they have too many people serving/clearing, so that things can get lost when the waiter makes a request through his computer. For some reason, after our appetizer they removed the butter & 1 bread plate but left the bread? Our table was so close to the wall where waitstaff had to slide through that I kept getting bumped (without apology). We finally (on our own) slid the table over & it was much better. We were in the back room & noise level was fine until a party of 6 entered & thankfully we were on dessert. We did enjoy despite the small issues.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd time and excellent as alwaysNeilBDined on 6/20/20143rd time eating at Vine Street Cafe and fabulous as always. Food, drink and service were of a high standard. ate outside this time. mosquito repellant supplied - beautiful setting with a quiet ambiance. crowd is a great mix.Special Features:
- BigJulebigjuleVIPDined on 6/19/2014Verrrrry expensive. $41 for their fluke! While the food was very good, many of the items were extremely overpriced, even for the Hamptons.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesFritziMayDined on 6/16/2014Vine Street Cafe is a favorite of mine - It's definitely quite pricey and for a special occasion, but I've never been disappointed. I normally order the miso glazed salmon (cooked rare - a superbly prepared piece of fish), but everything I've had there has been delicious. Terrific service, and lovely ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculous pricesLIKaneDined on 6/16/2014Go only if you want to overpay for drinks and dinner. Filet was good, but overpriced and famed steak frites were mushy and not as crisp as McDonald's. Decent service. Lovely ambiance. Second time here.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/12/2014Vine Street is as ever a fun place for dinner on Shelter Island. Our meals were excellent but HYPER expensive! Service was slow and we had to compete for the waitress' attention. Staff seems a little unplugged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fresh and deliciousWillajaneVIPDined on 6/1/2014Charming rooms with country vibe Excellent food- farm to table/ well Prepared and creative Service good but assistants are a little confusedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodchefitosgirlDined on 5/26/2014We came on vacation to Shelter Island from Brooklyn and we loved it. The appetizers were excellent, the caviar, the scallops and the oysters were to dye for.Special Features:
- Need better coordination in roomWillajaneVIPDined on 5/23/2014Kitchen slow with orders but it's Memorial Day and super busy so get it Usually this place delivers so it is an off night Food- when it appears is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, again.JamesADined on 5/10/2014Vine Street Cafe never disappoints. Quite the opposite, it continues to delight with food, festive atmosphere and wonderful wine list. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerBobeDined on 5/4/2014We like Vine Street. The moules were plump and the broth they were in had just the right amount of warmth. Good frites. We had their three course prix fixe this time but were very disappointed in the cheese dessert. One small piece of a blue cheese accompanied by some date slices and a pear (?) chutney was not what we expected. We would rather have had three small sampling of cheeses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 420 reviews are from the Vine Street Cafe reviews archive.
- Great food, service & decorRSchwag4367Dined on 4/26/2014Really good food, great decor and service!!! Cannot go wrong eating at the restaurant. Highly recommended!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.