Vine Brook Tavern
20 Waltham Street
Lexington, MA 02421Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vine Brook Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vinebrooktavern.com/
- Phone: 7818632012
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Vine Brook Tavern
A modern take on a colonial classic: the American TavernContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vine Brook Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (53)good for groups (39)special occasion (28)vibrant bar scene (25)notable wine list (21)kid-friendly (20)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (15)romantic (12)hot spot (12)late-night find (10)Show More
- MIXEDBobC1954Dined on 8/23/2014We liked the atmosphere…Wait staff was very good..Not a large menu , but some interesting choices…(outside of traditional)….Re: the entrees..Mine was very good Steak Frites .. My spouse got the Chicken Ribs…not very good…seemed almost over done…hard exterior…chewy ( difficult to chew ) ..inside chicken was dry with little taste…I tried them and that was my perception as well….Noticing other entrees nearby , they looked very good….So , I'm assuming most everything here is good….The seem attract a good crowd…Unfortunately , I can't give a higher rating based on the chicken entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and invitingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Out for a light meal somewhere new, the evening started out well with a great corner table upstairs. The restaurant looks great, the food was good and the service was excellent for the first half of the evening. I had the burrata salad and brussels sprouts - both excellent. My husband had the ramen noodles. He thought it was one of the more authentic versions he has had in the US - loved the taste, but felt it was way too skimpy on noodles. The wait staff was attentive until the end of the meal when they seemed to forget about us. We planned to order dessert, but had to wait so long between receiving the dessert menu and being able to place our order, we decided to skip it. Overall, the meal was great and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lexigton local spotEmmersDined on 8/23/2014This is our new favorite spot in Lexington. It's great for brunch/lunch and dinner and is very accommodating to babies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food!!nikiVIPDined on 8/20/2014Great cornbread!! Very good food overall. Only downside was that they ran out of the wine we were drinking. Otherwise. Very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014A little loud when we first arrived as we were seated next to a larger party, however, after they left noise level was perfect. We both had the Striper fish special that was delicious and matched well with risotto. The restaurant had an extensive wine list and we were able to get a bottle of our favorite wine that was also being offered by the glass. The service was also top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place in Lexington MaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Food is great and made to order. Great menu, everything from 2 vegetarian dishes, several seafood dishes and great steak dishes for the meat eaters and lots of seasonal local food. Service is great unless it is a really busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitGrtDin3Dined on 8/16/2014Food was very good but came to table barely warm. Had to send it back to be heated to normal eating temp. Service was somewhat slow but waitstaff was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014Poor service! Manager Adam is so unprofessional, has no idea about customer service! Very rude.. Stay away!Special Features:
- First Visit to Vine BrookDinnerDatesDined on 8/9/2014We had originally heard that Lexington was getting a "pub," of which it does not have many, so we went to have a look. For a Saturday night it wasn't too busy, so I can't say what it's like when there's a real crowd; we had no trouble hearing each other talk. Although the beer selection was not as wide as visiting a dedicated brew house, it offered a nice variety. The server was great from the beginning helping choose a wine that wonderful. We both ordered specials (salad and fresh sea bass) which were beyond good, but you paying for "artisan" and "unique." The food, ambiance, and a nice drink are definitely why we'll be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Meal experienceNewcomerVIPDined on 8/8/2014We decided to try this restaurant from the location, there had been many restaurants in this spot, which we have gone too. The renovations were very nice, the restaurant looked much nicer than previously. The service was slow, the food was good, but not to our tasting. It was nice to try, but probably will not go back.Special Features:
- Great for dinnerSusieT11Dined on 8/2/2014Four of us ate dinner at Vine Brook Tavern on a Saturday night. Our reservation was honored right on time. The decor is very nice. Tables not crammed. Very nice dinnerware. The menu offers comfort food but with a gourmet flair. The lobster Mac and cheese was outstanding. We ordered this as an appetizer. Sea bass dish was a favorite as well as chicken ribs. Steak tips were interesting-served with fried rice. Apple bread pudding was delicious. We had a delightful dinner- unrushed and satisfying. We also used a living Social coupon but would go back at a future date.Special Features:
- Fantastic DinnerlexingtonmomDined on 8/2/2014We ate here with my parents and our two year old daughter for dinner on Saturday night. Our server was so friendly and knowledgeable and was fantastic with our daughter. We made an early reservation (5:30) and we were finished and out the door with a goodie bag by 7. They have a lovely kids menu and are set up to accommodate families. The scallop BLT was amazing, as was the salmon. The special of the evening, lobster mac and cheese, was also fantastic. Very friendly staff, including the host, who came over to check on us midway through. Will definitely be back soon for a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodTraveler927Dined on 8/1/2014This place is right in the middle of the town of Lexington - historic and pretty town; restaurant fits right into the mood - feels older and charming, but modern twist on some classic New England 'soul' food. Menu is perfect for meat lovers, AND meat avoiders alike...I really don't see how you couldn't find something you'd love on this menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will eat there weekly from now on!RyanVIPDined on 8/1/2014Ate there twice in 3 days and my wife and I can't wait to go back. Each time the food is perfect and there are many interesting things on the menu that we can't wait to try. So happy to have a restaurant of this caliber so conveniently located. Looking forward to their live music too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place for a nice mealKellyIVIPDined on 8/1/2014This is my second time at the tavern. We met a customer ther a few months ago for dinner and when I had a return visit to Lexington, I was thrilled to discover that the do lunch on Fridays! The food, service and atmosphere were perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday NightpoppyseedDined on 7/26/2014Loved the atmosphere, really nice bar, friendly servers and very interesting food. Wonderful quinoa meatballs and spaghetti squash entree. Excellent shaved vegetable salad using vegetables from a local farm, really fabulous corn bread and interesting bread basket. Nice to walk around Lexington after dinner. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not go back.WineGuruDined on 7/26/2014Food was overall good but place was dark with a halogen spot lite right in my eye blinding me. Tone them down! Waiter didn't tell us about any specials. Windows covered in plastic flags which made the place darker. I like to look out! Wine, a Malbec, was not very good. For a Saturday night it was not that full. Unless you have a coupon give it a pass.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/24/2014I find this restaurant to be very average in every way. In a recent weeknight visit, our drink order was taken promptly but the drinks themselves took a long time to arrive. The food was uneven in quality and presentation. For example, shrimp and hummus appetizer consisted of a few shrimp buried in hummus, surrounded by way too much pita bread. The farmers salad was equally disappointing. Halfway through dinner, a very loud band started playing downstairs which made normal conversation challenging throughout the restaurant. Several tables requested that they be moved to the very back of the restaurant so they could try to finish their dinner in peace.
- innovative cuisinesallenVIPDined on 7/23/2014I had lobster tacos and corn salad with chorizo. It was excellent. My husband had sea bass. He usually does not enjoy fish so he was unexpectedly pleased. Food very good. Service very good and quite friendly. Problem: very limited for gluten free options. They will not adjust a dish on the menu to make it gluten free if not already and there are very few (that's why my husband ordered the fish). He does have celiac disease so he is not just dallying with gluten free diet. Also, when he wanted to substitute a vegetable for the accompanying side which was not gluten free, they said there would be an extra charge. He ended up changing his order. Also, this is a noisy place. Need to work on acoustics.Special Features:
- disappointedkb11Dined on 7/16/2014The wait time for virtually everything (other than water) was extremely long. The server wasn't thrilled about answering questions about menu items. Last, in spite of the difficulty of screwing up a plain hamburger, they did. Sent a cheeseburger. Their fix was to scrape some of the cheese off of it. Not the pleasant dining experience we had expected
- UmmmmmOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/12/2014Well...let me start off by saying this is not a bad place. But the quality of the food is a bit inconsistent. The first time we went, the bread came warm and SOFT. This time we went back with guests and it was very embarrassing to see our guests spit the bread back out because it was harder than Steel. It was quickly fixed, but it shouldn't have happened. Then we ordered Arnold Palmers and let me tell you it was like eating 10 Sour Apples. Wow! I mean, come on, who wants to drink an Arnold Palmer that's sour as heck. The food was alright. I don't know if I'd go back.
- Third time is a charm.BillDined on 7/12/2014Celebrated our son's 25th birthday and it was great. From steak burger, NY Steak, eye round to lobster tortillas it was great. All servers were on their tasks and helpful. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, but a bit pricey.SlmEatsDined on 7/11/2014The food here is really unique, creative and delicious. The chef uses a wide range of ingredients and combines them in surprising ways the make the dishes really special. We also love the atmosphere and location. For the price, however, it will have to remain a special occasion restaurant for us. There is also a bar menu, which we have not tried. Next time.Special Features:
- could've been much betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2014took a group of work colleagues out for dinner- food was marginal and service was unimpressive. rare seared tuna was tasteless with a yellow sauce that looked and tasted like french's mustard with a touch of mayo. I was hoping for much more. very pricey menu with disappointing dishes- I've heard that they have good burgers- perhaps I should have stuck with the lunch menu.
- pretty goodlocalsDined on 7/6/2014Excellent food. Service not so good. Not particularly friendly. Was also disappointed to learn that the menu I reviewed online was NOT the menu that was actually used.Special Features:
- Watch outarlingtondinerDined on 7/6/2014The food was very good, but they'll try to trick you into buying expensive dishes without telling you the price at every turn. One of our party ordered quinoa meatballs with spaghetti squash and a full size side of mac 'n cheese. The waitress asked whether he wanted the house sausage or the regular sausage with it. She didn't ask if he wanted sausage, she asked which one. Turns out she tricked him into ordering the "special" mac for $20 instead of the regular for $6! On a previous visit, someone in our party was encouraged to buy a special glass of wine, and to order a second glass. When we got the bill, it turned out to be $17 per glass, well more than anything on the menu. We definitely won't be returning.
- Ken from TopsfieldGoodstuffDined on 6/28/2014Took customer here for lunch a few weeks ago and knew I had to come back for dinner. We were not disappointed! They have the best calamari, thin tender pieces served spicy on a great slaw bed. Phenomenal Tomato and Burrata with pesto cream to die for. Then there was dinner, we did the Bolognese and Sea Bass. Both were great. Looking forward to our return visit!Special Features:
- Very disappointed.RickDined on 6/28/2014Upstairs was very dark, couldn't read the menu, server was very nice but slow and forgetful. Burgers were good but buns so small contents were all over the place. Pork shank was so salty it was inedible.
- Fourth time at Vine Brook TavernsusanDined on 6/28/2014I've been to Vine Brook Tavern four times and have enjoyed it each time. The food is consistently good and varied, service is excellent and all the staff friendly. I really like the casual but well appointed decor. Can't go wrong here...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an experienceSenator1Dined on 6/27/2014Everything from the drinks, to the starters to the main meals were excellent. The overall experience was an A+. The chicken and steaks were especially fantastic.Special Features:
- UpScale TavernoozedoggDined on 6/25/2014Great food, definitely recommend the small plates. Their calamari, steak & cheese sliders were amazing! Great ambiance for a post work hang out spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodRolandVIPDined on 6/24/2014A great restaurant in Lexington for excellent food in the nearby suburbs. Well made food and very good service. Definitely we will return and recommend the restaurant to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuna to die forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014We went for our 19th wedding anniversary celebration dinner and were not disappointed with the food. I had the tuna which was exceptional, probably the best I've ever had..... The last time I ate there was for a Christmas celebration and again the food was exquisite. I had a paella that was delicious, great chorizo and rice, perfect spicing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow staffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/16/2014Poor combination of upscale food in the center of expensive town and a sports bar. The food was good and pricey and worth it, but the place was full of fans, noise level very high, staff too busy to pay attention to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedhappymomDined on 6/15/2014I was a bit nervous about what I'd find at the Vine Brook Tavern having never been there before and I was very pleased. We took my husband for Father's Day and I was concerned because there was no kids menu on their website, however, a kids menu was presented to us upon arrival which set me at ease immediately. It is rare that you get a kid-friendly and grown up atmosphere in the same place but that's what we found at Vine Brook. Our waiter was excellent. It was too loud and was just right for our Father's Day celebration. I recommend this for any meal and a special occasion. If I lived in the area I know I would return for any of those reasons.Special Features:
- DebBee30Dined on 6/15/2014We've been here for-- dinner for two -- as well as dinner for eight. We've had nothing but great service, excellent food, comfortable setting and cozy bar. One Saturday we didn't feel like going out for a full meal, but chose the Tavern for bar bites and a glass of wine. Very relaxing. One of the best places to eat in town.Special Features:
- alifosVIPDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I sat at the bar and had a nice leisurely night enjoying cocktails and appetizers. Joe at the bar was great, the ginger margarita was refreshing and delicious. The tuna tartar was the highlight, and the shaved beef sliders were also very good. We did not eat any dinner but all the food we tried was fresh, well prepared and flavorful. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodisyummyDined on 6/9/2014A gem in historic Lexington. Great food selection and service. Every type of foodie will be happy. Wine and beer list more than necessary. Would absolutely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer list!M2242Dined on 6/6/2014Tavern is great for either drinks and apps or a sit down meal. Food was well prepared and all of our dishes had a nice presentation. We went for a birthday celebration so we tried the desserts but definitely worth avoiding. Stick with the apps, entrees and beer listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fresh food at slow paceActonDadVIPDined on 5/24/2014When you have the time for a leisurely dinner this is the place to go. Knowledgeable service and unique fresh food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.