Vine Brook Tavern
20 Waltham Street
Lexington, MA 02421Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vine Brook Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vinebrooktavern.com/
- Phone: (781) 863-2012
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Vine Brook Tavern
A modern take on a colonial classic: the American TavernContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vine Brook Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (72)fit for foodies (63)good for groups (47)vibrant bar scene (30)notable wine list (25)kid-friendly (19)special occasion (14)hot spot (14)great for brunch (11)great for lunch (11)romantic (6)late-night find (4)Show More
- Awesome findMaymeVIPDined on 11/16/2014The atmosphere was great and the service was friendly. Everyone in our party of 7 had empty plates. The short ribs melted in your mouth, great comfort food and we ended with a fabulous bread pudding. Everyone needs to try this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real GemRossellDined on 11/14/2014Fantastic fresh food! We both had what we would rate as one of the top meals that we have ever tasted! Bar was noisy...but it was Friday night. We ate upstairs away from the hustle and bustle. We liked it so much we are going back in two weeks and already made a reservation. Worth the drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a lively settingWillyumDined on 11/13/2014We had the duck and the cod: both were rich in flavor and delicious, as was the buttescutcheon cookie slice. Service was thoughtful but a bit slow at times for a Thursday night. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but a bit noisyholhollDined on 11/12/2014I recently needed to find a place for a business dinner including my boss and a few out of town guests. The food was a big hit (sweet & sour calamari, sesame pork shanks, chicken under a brick) as was the cozy ambience. The service was also quite professional (water glasses were refilled regularly etc.). The only problem was that there was a live band that night so once they started playing, the noise level went up considerably and conversation became much harder. We weren't even that close to the band (it was on the first floor, we were on the second, away from the stairs) but they must have had their amps turned way up. So it's a good unstuffy choice for a business dinner but I'd advise checking with them first to see if there's any live music that night before booking a table if you want to talk with your companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service.Hate2cookVIPDined on 11/11/2014The hostess did not say a word from the moment we entered till she waved us to our table with her hand. Our waitress was not very attentive and at left us in the middle of ordering to pick up a credit card from the table next to us and run it. For these piece points this type of service is not acceptable. Food was good, not great.
- Service was terrificStew2Dined on 11/10/2014The food is not inexpensive but it is high quality. Nice place for a business dinner. Alison was a wonderful bartender / server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seems to have slippedMADayTrippersDined on 11/8/2014We took another couple there, and after raving about the food, we were disappointed. We weren't in a hurry, but it took forever for our entrees to come out, to the point where we were thinking about cancelling them. 2 of us got the short ribs, and they were both a little overdone and dry. The sticky pork app also seemed just a bit overcooked. Perhaps they had a problem in the kitchen that night. The other 2 entrees were good. We were also disappointed that the burrata was off the menu, it's one of the things that brought us there. My wife also took a friend there for lunch, and was disappointed with the lunch menu. We'll go back, but we might stick with the bar bites menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCardinalDined on 11/7/2014The old Vinny Testa's restaruant has been redecorated, but the upstairs layout had us feeling claustrophobic. We were in a small booth against the wall with a divider on one side. Each of us ordered 2 appetizers instead of full meals and they were all really delicious. Especially loved the rendition of pumpkin ravioli - home made pasta and just the right amount of butter/spices. Service however was also lackluster - we had to ask our waitress if there were any specials and then she just named them off without any description. I imagine I would have enjoyed eating at the bar on the first floor much more where it was more lively.Special Features:
- Great meal, but forgot the birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Once again, (this also happened when I booked The Foundry restaurant in Somerville through Open Table), I specifically put in the notes that this was a birthday celebration, and the restaurant did nothing. Otherwise, food, service, ambience was outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence ContinuesJohnnGeorgeVIPDined on 11/1/2014Returned tonight to try the new menu. There was 4 in our group. Everyone felt our menu selections were excellent and the service perfect! We had the short ribs which were cooked to perfection and were accompanied by french onion mashed potatoes which were a great new take on my favorite potato. The chicken was crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, my sister absolutely loved the meal. One friend had the quinoa meatballs and spaghetti squash and said it was one of her best meals at any restaurant. Each time we come back to this restaurant the menu gets even better. We ended the meal with an absolutely delicious banana foster bread pudding and key lime pie. Kudos to the owner - Marcus.Special Features:
- A regularGusTatoryVIPDined on 10/26/2014Great food and experience as always. Great menu and high quality food. A real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunch/lunchsuzyVIPDined on 10/26/2014although only open for lunch a few days a week, it was worth the weekend for their interesting and eclectic menu. Will be back again soon.Special Features:
- Horrible experienceBonnieandDavidVIPDined on 10/19/2014We made a reservation 45 min before showing up. Chose them because they offered a fairly late reservation on a Sunday night in the suburbs. When we got there, we stood by the front desk for at least 5-10 min before without being acknowledged. Eventually we walked over to the bar, and was told "last call" had already happened. When I said I had a dinner reservation, he sent me back to the front desk to wait until he was available. Another 5-10 min passed, and still no one came over. So I went back to the bar to ask if we were going to be able to have dinner or not. I was given a very rude response, that he was busy, and how could I possibly have a dinner reservation. So we left, incredibly frustrated that we now had to find dinner...
- Ok place to eatbd2438Dined on 10/17/2014This visit was ok, nothing special. The food is over-priced and portions are small.I would recommend this to a friend.
- onlyonecatDined on 10/16/2014Unfortunately only seating available on this Thursday night was on main level -so noisy you couldn't hear yourself think. Waiter was very conscientious in giving detailed info about the menu but as the only waiter, was "spread too thin" so there was considerable wait time to order, receive food, and receive check. The noise made it impossible to enjoy the wait. Those who enjoy gathering around the bar or seeing others gather around the bar would like this restaurant as the bar is in the midst of the dining area for people to see and be seen. The food was very good though priced a bit high; fish was nicely presented though one of our fish entrees was tepid. We did not order wine.Special Features:
- wonderful brunchsuzyVIPDined on 10/12/2014unexpectedly good since I heard dinner was only so-so, but will go back.Special Features:
- Slow, noisy, expensive, good beerLocalsVIPDined on 10/11/2014Ok, it was Saturday night and we were seated on time. But, food took 45min+ (we were warned it would be 20) and was cold when it arrived. Unacceptable, especially at this price point. On the plus side, excellent vege sides and good beer list. Pleasant waitress too - not her fault. Might try a burger at the bar another time , but advise against the restaurant. Really disappointed.
- Will come backMM01776Dined on 10/10/2014Great take. Upscale casual in a great room. Servers try very hard. Manager made a point to ask about our service on the way out. They clearly care. Have the shrimp and hummus appetizer. Worth trip by itselfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible mealsallenVIPDined on 10/7/2014No resemblance to previous experience. Lobster tacos soggy and lobster overcooked, bland. My husband ended up with chicken after choosing 3 other items which could not t be made gluten free. Chicken was dry and over salted, potatoes were overcooked and tastefree. I sent my entree back. A most unpleasant meal. We will not be back.Special Features:
- First Time at Vine BrookedjrDined on 10/7/2014I went to Vine Brook with three companions. This is a large restaurant and it was less than half full on a Tuesday night. Nevertheless, the noise level was higher than we like. Although the decor was attractive, little attention had apparently been paid to noise suppression. The menu can best be described as eclectic with some very interesting and creative dishes (my wife ordered a BLT with scallops). The food was uniformly well prepared and tasty. An appetizer of corn bread was the best I've ever had. Overall, we felt the prices were a bit high, particularly since side dishes were extra. Service was attentive although preparation of our main courses took longer than seemed necessary on a relatively slow night.Special Features:
- Unexpected treasure!MomcabDined on 10/4/2014What a find! Delicious food, excellent service, great wine, yummy cartelized Brussel sprouts- what more do you need?Special Features:
- Where is the rest of the fish?MarKevVIPDined on 10/4/2014Oh this review is long overdue. Sorry for the delay. I do remember this visit though. Service & taste of each bite of our food were excellent. My only complaint was the size of my husband's halibut special. It was 2.5" x 3"!! That's right, get your ruler out. Not kidding....not exaggerating either. It was literally that tiny. We weren't sure if the kitchen was running out of the special, and decided to split the fish in 1/2??? Who knows, but for $26, it was the most expensive 2.5" x 3" fish anywhere!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vine BrookRickyboyDined on 10/3/2014Food was expertly prepared, service was superb, management was very attentive and cordial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!JennDVTVIPDined on 10/3/2014I work in Lexington so have only been here for lunch, but every time is delicious. I was disappointed to see that they had taken the turkey burger off the menu because it's one of the best I've ever had. I decided to try the salmon burger instead and it was incredible! My colleagues cleaned their plates completely too. Friendly, quick service even with a good size lunch crowd. can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Stop looking at my breastslizzieDined on 10/2/2014I was so put off by our waiter who must have looked at my cleavage 20 times. It also took 2 hours for dinner because he was so slow and messed up our check. I love this place but was not happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedJulieBVIPDined on 9/30/2014I wasn't sure what to expect at Vine Brook Tavern, having not heard much before I went with my moms' night out group (8 of us). I was pleasantly surprised. The restaurant is bigger than it appears, with a large bar downstairs and additional dining areas upstairs. Our large group had a comfortable table upstairs along a banquette. The decor is kind of rustic with lots of natural wood and candlelight. I had the arugula salad with pecorino romano to start. It was excellent - very fresh and the cheese and vinaigrette were perfect. For my main course, I had the tagliatelle bolognese, which was very tasty. The table had mac&cheese with jalapeno - mmmm. Service was mostly good but a little uneven (water not filled, new cutlery forgotten).Special Features:
- Great local spot!happydinerDined on 9/28/2014Loved it.....really wonderful waitress who knew a lot about wines. Delicious "traditional" brown bread with a modern twist. Wine was excellent and waitress let me sample a couple. My family loved it. Appropriate for families or dates.Special Features:
- Wish we found it earlier...MADayTrippersDined on 9/27/2014We just wish we had found this a while ago. Calling it a tavern is misleading, the food is SO much better than that. We were there on the 27th. Food was spectacular, get the sticky pork, and the shaved steak sliders. We had 4 appetizers, and followed that with a desert I think we were testing for them, a bananas foster bread pudding, which was just amazing.Special Features:
- Very favorableRichDined on 9/27/2014This was my first time at Vine Brook. The Saturday lunch menu seemed to be more of a brunch offering, but I found the service excellent and the food very tasty even though the menu was limited.Special Features:
- Limited MenuWilsonVIPDined on 9/26/2014The food was very good, but the menu is very limited in the choices. Given the limited menu I do not think I would return.
- Surprise find..4tasteDined on 9/23/2014vibrant ambiance; very good, imaginative food; excellent,friendly service. Should have more vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Service could be betterscottyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Our server was kind, but too slow. We ordered steak tips, sirloin frites and 3 oysters for just myself. I asked them to come out when they were ready so our steaks weren't held.The oysters didn't come right away so I asked her where they were. She brought them. Then, 40 minutes pass and our steaks weren't at our table. Our server seemed extremely flustered. When I flagged a gentleman down, his response was "I did see you had a first course". So that means she coursed our meal- which I asked her not to do. What stinks for us- was that our food was cold. I think it was waiting in the window and she forgot :/ The sirloin frites however, were delish. Would be better hot. Thank you to the man who tried his best to make up for it.
- Slow service, good food (not great)Arlington10003Dined on 9/13/2014We keep coming back here hoping to love it. The food is good, but always falls a little short of expectations - maybe that it's trying a bit too hard to be fresh or unique and not quite hitting the mark. And on our most recent visit, the service was remarkably slow: a long wait to be given menus, another long wait before our orders were taken, and a very long wait for the food. On a positive note, the staff was very friendly to our children.Special Features:
- Good food but overpricedBrooklineFoodieDined on 9/12/2014Our server, Lisa P was outstanding. We enjoyed the food, but the bill was over the top. We had two bottles of wine, and the bill with tip for tow was over $200!Special Features:
- Loud music for a Sunday nightOhmOhmDined on 9/7/2014We arrived with a party of eight; as we were seated the pop music coming out of a speaker directly above the table was quite loud, loud enough to inhibit conversation. To their credit, when we raised this they did lower the volume to a manageable level -- but it was a close call, we nearly left. Food is good, very rich and filling so prepare appetite.I would recommend this to a friend.
- date night dinnerglobalchewDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I had a delicious meal at Vine Brook Tavern last Saturday evening worthy of an enthusiastic Thumbs Up on Open Table. The watermelon gazpacho was the best I have ever had (and I'm a big gazpacho fan!). The sea bass was fresh and tasty, and the accompanying veggies were flavorful and done to a perfect "crisp tender". We will be going back to try other menu items. Bring back the cauliflower steaks! I was disappointed that they were not on the current menu.Special Features:
- A Tad OffOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/5/2014We are repeat customers, but this evening it was a tad off. Waiter was super nice and informative, but timing of things were not right. Water glasses were not filled when he said he'd be right back. Had to ask again. He didn't seem always to have a bus person who would fill water and clear tables. Alcoholic beverages arrived after the appetizers were delivered to the table. I thought our dirty appetizer plates would still be on the table before our entrees arrived. They were cleared prior but were on the table for a long time. Food was all good. It's high end pub style food. Presentation was fine. We all enjoyed our meals. Service was just off and made our dining experience below par for this evening. The waiter knew it was off.Special Features:
- Great Find at Vinebrook TavernkitkatDined on 9/5/2014We will be back for certain! Great food, fun atmosphere! Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014My husband and I went to the Vine Brook Tavern to enjoy dinner together as our children each had sleepovers. The service was very attentive and the food was delicious. We started with and appetizer of a flatbread with swordfish. Highly recommend it! My husband enjoyed the fish stew while I had the brussel sprouts and clam chowder. Everything was delicious. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly poor experienceCleanPlateClubDined on 8/31/2014I have always a great experience and have recommended VBT, so I dined with friends from the UK. There were few other customers, yet all the TVs were on. We had TVs facing the table from the back wall and the bar. We asked to be seated away from them but were told that wasn't possible. We asked if they could turn off couple of them, that didn't seem unreasonable as there were only two other parties, no one was watching what was on. We were told "no" that the owner insists that the TVs be on at all times, as this is what gave the place the vibe of a "Tavern". Taverns are in fact known for food, beverages, and a place to socialize - as my frineds from the UK can attest as taverns have been established there for a few centuries before here.