Vine Brook Tavern
20 Waltham Street
Lexington, MA 02421Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vine Brook Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vinebrooktavern.com/
- Phone: 7818632012
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Vine Brook Tavern
A modern take on a colonial classic: the American TavernContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vine Brook Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (69)fit for foodies (54)good for groups (40)vibrant bar scene (25)notable wine list (21)kid-friendly (20)great for lunch (16)special occasion (14)hot spot (14)great for brunch (12)late-night find (7)romantic (6)Show More
- wonderful brunchsuzyVIPDined on 10/12/2014unexpectedly good since I heard dinner was only so-so, but will go back.Special Features:
- Slow, noisy, expensive, good beerLocalsVIPDined on 10/11/2014Ok, it was Saturday night and we were seated on time. But, food took 45min+ (we were warned it would be 20) and was cold when it arrived. Unacceptable, especially at this price point. On the plus side, excellent vege sides and good beer list. Pleasant waitress too - not her fault. Might try a burger at the bar another time , but advise against the restaurant. Really disappointed.
- Will come backMM01776Dined on 10/10/2014Great take. Upscale casual in a great room. Servers try very hard. Manager made a point to ask about our service on the way out. They clearly care. Have the shrimp and hummus appetizer. Worth trip by itselfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible mealsallenVIPDined on 10/7/2014No resemblance to previous experience. Lobster tacos soggy and lobster overcooked, bland. My husband ended up with chicken after choosing 3 other items which could not t be made gluten free. Chicken was dry and over salted, potatoes were overcooked and tastefree. I sent my entree back. A most unpleasant meal. We will not be back.Special Features:
- First Time at Vine BrookedjrDined on 10/7/2014I went to Vine Brook with three companions. This is a large restaurant and it was less than half full on a Tuesday night. Nevertheless, the noise level was higher than we like. Although the decor was attractive, little attention had apparently been paid to noise suppression. The menu can best be described as eclectic with some very interesting and creative dishes (my wife ordered a BLT with scallops). The food was uniformly well prepared and tasty. An appetizer of corn bread was the best I've ever had. Overall, we felt the prices were a bit high, particularly since side dishes were extra. Service was attentive although preparation of our main courses took longer than seemed necessary on a relatively slow night.Special Features:
- Unexpected treasure!MomcabDined on 10/4/2014What a find! Delicious food, excellent service, great wine, yummy cartelized Brussel sprouts- what more do you need?Special Features:
- Where is the rest of the fish?MarKevVIPDined on 10/4/2014Oh this review is long overdue. Sorry for the delay. I do remember this visit though. Service & taste of each bite of our food were excellent. My only complaint was the size of my husband's halibut special. It was 2.5" x 3"!! That's right, get your ruler out. Not kidding....not exaggerating either. It was literally that tiny. We weren't sure if the kitchen was running out of the special, and decided to split the fish in 1/2??? Who knows, but for $26, it was the most expensive 2.5" x 3" fish anywhere!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vine BrookRickyboyDined on 10/3/2014Food was expertly prepared, service was superb, management was very attentive and cordial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!JennDVTVIPDined on 10/3/2014I work in Lexington so have only been here for lunch, but every time is delicious. I was disappointed to see that they had taken the turkey burger off the menu because it's one of the best I've ever had. I decided to try the salmon burger instead and it was incredible! My colleagues cleaned their plates completely too. Friendly, quick service even with a good size lunch crowd. can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Stop looking at my breastslizzieDined on 10/2/2014I was so put off by our waiter who must have looked at my cleavage 20 times. It also took 2 hours for dinner because he was so slow and messed up our check. I love this place but was not happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedJulieBVIPDined on 9/30/2014I wasn't sure what to expect at Vine Brook Tavern, having not heard much before I went with my moms' night out group (8 of us). I was pleasantly surprised. The restaurant is bigger than it appears, with a large bar downstairs and additional dining areas upstairs. Our large group had a comfortable table upstairs along a banquette. The decor is kind of rustic with lots of natural wood and candlelight. I had the arugula salad with pecorino romano to start. It was excellent - very fresh and the cheese and vinaigrette were perfect. For my main course, I had the tagliatelle bolognese, which was very tasty. The table had mac&cheese with jalapeno - mmmm. Service was mostly good but a little uneven (water not filled, new cutlery forgotten).Special Features:
- Great local spot!happydinerDined on 9/28/2014Loved it.....really wonderful waitress who knew a lot about wines. Delicious "traditional" brown bread with a modern twist. Wine was excellent and waitress let me sample a couple. My family loved it. Appropriate for families or dates.Special Features:
- Wish we found it earlier...MADayTrippersDined on 9/27/2014We just wish we had found this a while ago. Calling it a tavern is misleading, the food is SO much better than that. We were there on the 27th. Food was spectacular, get the sticky pork, and the shaved steak sliders. We had 4 appetizers, and followed that with a desert I think we were testing for them, a bananas foster bread pudding, which was just amazing.Special Features:
- Very favorableRichDined on 9/27/2014This was my first time at Vine Brook. The Saturday lunch menu seemed to be more of a brunch offering, but I found the service excellent and the food very tasty even though the menu was limited.Special Features:
- Limited MenuWilsonVIPDined on 9/26/2014The food was very good, but the menu is very limited in the choices. Given the limited menu I do not think I would return.
- Surprise find..4tasteDined on 9/23/2014vibrant ambiance; very good, imaginative food; excellent,friendly service. Should have more vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Service could be betterscottyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Our server was kind, but too slow. We ordered steak tips, sirloin frites and 3 oysters for just myself. I asked them to come out when they were ready so our steaks weren't held.The oysters didn't come right away so I asked her where they were. She brought them. Then, 40 minutes pass and our steaks weren't at our table. Our server seemed extremely flustered. When I flagged a gentleman down, his response was "I did see you had a first course". So that means she coursed our meal- which I asked her not to do. What stinks for us- was that our food was cold. I think it was waiting in the window and she forgot :/ The sirloin frites however, were delish. Would be better hot. Thank you to the man who tried his best to make up for it.
- Slow service, good food (not great)Arlington10003Dined on 9/13/2014We keep coming back here hoping to love it. The food is good, but always falls a little short of expectations - maybe that it's trying a bit too hard to be fresh or unique and not quite hitting the mark. And on our most recent visit, the service was remarkably slow: a long wait to be given menus, another long wait before our orders were taken, and a very long wait for the food. On a positive note, the staff was very friendly to our children.Special Features:
- Good food but overpricedBrooklineFoodieDined on 9/12/2014Our server, Lisa P was outstanding. We enjoyed the food, but the bill was over the top. We had two bottles of wine, and the bill with tip for tow was over $200!Special Features:
- Loud music for a Sunday nightOhmOhmDined on 9/7/2014We arrived with a party of eight; as we were seated the pop music coming out of a speaker directly above the table was quite loud, loud enough to inhibit conversation. To their credit, when we raised this they did lower the volume to a manageable level -- but it was a close call, we nearly left. Food is good, very rich and filling so prepare appetite.I would recommend this to a friend.
- date night dinnerglobalchewDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I had a delicious meal at Vine Brook Tavern last Saturday evening worthy of an enthusiastic Thumbs Up on Open Table. The watermelon gazpacho was the best I have ever had (and I'm a big gazpacho fan!). The sea bass was fresh and tasty, and the accompanying veggies were flavorful and done to a perfect "crisp tender". We will be going back to try other menu items. Bring back the cauliflower steaks! I was disappointed that they were not on the current menu.Special Features:
- A Tad OffOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/5/2014We are repeat customers, but this evening it was a tad off. Waiter was super nice and informative, but timing of things were not right. Water glasses were not filled when he said he'd be right back. Had to ask again. He didn't seem always to have a bus person who would fill water and clear tables. Alcoholic beverages arrived after the appetizers were delivered to the table. I thought our dirty appetizer plates would still be on the table before our entrees arrived. They were cleared prior but were on the table for a long time. Food was all good. It's high end pub style food. Presentation was fine. We all enjoyed our meals. Service was just off and made our dining experience below par for this evening. The waiter knew it was off.Special Features:
- Great Find at Vinebrook TavernkitkatDined on 9/5/2014We will be back for certain! Great food, fun atmosphere! Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014My husband and I went to the Vine Brook Tavern to enjoy dinner together as our children each had sleepovers. The service was very attentive and the food was delicious. We started with and appetizer of a flatbread with swordfish. Highly recommend it! My husband enjoyed the fish stew while I had the brussel sprouts and clam chowder. Everything was delicious. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly poor experienceCleanPlateClubDined on 8/31/2014I have always a great experience and have recommended VBT, so I dined with friends from the UK. There were few other customers, yet all the TVs were on. We had TVs facing the table from the back wall and the bar. We asked to be seated away from them but were told that wasn't possible. We asked if they could turn off couple of them, that didn't seem unreasonable as there were only two other parties, no one was watching what was on. We were told "no" that the owner insists that the TVs be on at all times, as this is what gave the place the vibe of a "Tavern". Taverns are in fact known for food, beverages, and a place to socialize - as my frineds from the UK can attest as taverns have been established there for a few centuries before here.
- MIXEDBobC1954Dined on 8/23/2014We liked the atmosphere…Wait staff was very good..Not a large menu , but some interesting choices…(outside of traditional)….Re: the entrees..Mine was very good Steak Frites .. My spouse got the Chicken Ribs…not very good…seemed almost over done…hard exterior…chewy ( difficult to chew ) ..inside chicken was dry with little taste…I tried them and that was my perception as well….Noticing other entrees nearby , they looked very good….So , I'm assuming most everything here is good….The seem attract a good crowd…Unfortunately , I can't give a higher rating based on the chicken entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and invitingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Out for a light meal somewhere new, the evening started out well with a great corner table upstairs. The restaurant looks great, the food was good and the service was excellent for the first half of the evening. I had the burrata salad and brussels sprouts - both excellent. My husband had the ramen noodles. He thought it was one of the more authentic versions he has had in the US - loved the taste, but felt it was way too skimpy on noodles. The wait staff was attentive until the end of the meal when they seemed to forget about us. We planned to order dessert, but had to wait so long between receiving the dessert menu and being able to place our order, we decided to skip it. Overall, the meal was great and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lexigton local spotEmmersVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is our new favorite spot in Lexington. It's great for brunch/lunch and dinner and is very accommodating to babies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food!!nikiVIPDined on 8/20/2014Great cornbread!! Very good food overall. Only downside was that they ran out of the wine we were drinking. Otherwise. Very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/19/2014A little loud when we first arrived as we were seated next to a larger party, however, after they left noise level was perfect. We both had the Striper fish special that was delicious and matched well with risotto. The restaurant had an extensive wine list and we were able to get a bottle of our favorite wine that was also being offered by the glass. The service was also top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place in Lexington MaOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/19/2014Food is great and made to order. Great menu, everything from 2 vegetarian dishes, several seafood dishes and great steak dishes for the meat eaters and lots of seasonal local food. Service is great unless it is a really busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitGrtDin3Dined on 8/16/2014Food was very good but came to table barely warm. Had to send it back to be heated to normal eating temp. Service was somewhat slow but waitstaff was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014Poor service! Manager Adam is so unprofessional, has no idea about customer service! Very rude.. Stay away!Special Features:
- First Visit to Vine BrookDinnerDatesDined on 8/9/2014We had originally heard that Lexington was getting a "pub," of which it does not have many, so we went to have a look. For a Saturday night it wasn't too busy, so I can't say what it's like when there's a real crowd; we had no trouble hearing each other talk. Although the beer selection was not as wide as visiting a dedicated brew house, it offered a nice variety. The server was great from the beginning helping choose a wine that wonderful. We both ordered specials (salad and fresh sea bass) which were beyond good, but you paying for "artisan" and "unique." The food, ambiance, and a nice drink are definitely why we'll be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Meal experienceNewcomerVIPDined on 8/8/2014We decided to try this restaurant from the location, there had been many restaurants in this spot, which we have gone too. The renovations were very nice, the restaurant looked much nicer than previously. The service was slow, the food was good, but not to our tasting. It was nice to try, but probably will not go back.Special Features:
- Great for dinnerSusieT11Dined on 8/2/2014Four of us ate dinner at Vine Brook Tavern on a Saturday night. Our reservation was honored right on time. The decor is very nice. Tables not crammed. Very nice dinnerware. The menu offers comfort food but with a gourmet flair. The lobster Mac and cheese was outstanding. We ordered this as an appetizer. Sea bass dish was a favorite as well as chicken ribs. Steak tips were interesting-served with fried rice. Apple bread pudding was delicious. We had a delightful dinner- unrushed and satisfying. We also used a living Social coupon but would go back at a future date.Special Features:
- Fantastic DinnerlexingtonmomDined on 8/2/2014We ate here with my parents and our two year old daughter for dinner on Saturday night. Our server was so friendly and knowledgeable and was fantastic with our daughter. We made an early reservation (5:30) and we were finished and out the door with a goodie bag by 7. They have a lovely kids menu and are set up to accommodate families. The scallop BLT was amazing, as was the salmon. The special of the evening, lobster mac and cheese, was also fantastic. Very friendly staff, including the host, who came over to check on us midway through. Will definitely be back soon for a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodTraveler927Dined on 8/1/2014This place is right in the middle of the town of Lexington - historic and pretty town; restaurant fits right into the mood - feels older and charming, but modern twist on some classic New England 'soul' food. Menu is perfect for meat lovers, AND meat avoiders alike...I really don't see how you couldn't find something you'd love on this menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will eat there weekly from now on!RyanVIPDined on 8/1/2014Ate there twice in 3 days and my wife and I can't wait to go back. Each time the food is perfect and there are many interesting things on the menu that we can't wait to try. So happy to have a restaurant of this caliber so conveniently located. Looking forward to their live music too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place for a nice mealKellyIVIPDined on 8/1/2014This is my second time at the tavern. We met a customer ther a few months ago for dinner and when I had a return visit to Lexington, I was thrilled to discover that the do lunch on Fridays! The food, service and atmosphere were perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.