2038 SE Clinton St
Portland, OR 97202Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vindalho.com/
- Phone: 503-467-4550
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: David Machado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Vindalho
Open and inviting, Vindalho redefines the neighborhood restaurant and bar. Our modern interpretations of classic Indian dishes are always freshly prepared with high quality, responsibly produced, and locally sourced ingredients. Flavorful, creative food together with friendly, informative service makes Vindalho a perfect choice for dinner in Southeast Portland.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vindalho reviews from OpenTable diners
- Deelicious.....OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2013We loved everything. Felt some of the portions were a little small for the price but loved the tastiness!Special Features:
- I was unsure what to expectBKLoungeDined on 7/13/2013I was unsure what to expect having read both extremely positive & negative reviews. I came with my family for an early dinner on Sat. We had a great wait staff, never had to ask for water refills, one of my party dropped his fork & the waiter immediately acknowledged it and came back with a new one. It seemed the cooking staff wasn't quite up to par and it took a while for our meals to come out. There was an open view of the kitchen and when we came in there were less than ten parties in the restaurant so I could tell the cooks were being a bit slow. The food itself was really tasty. I thought there was plenty of flavor & enjoyed all the dishes. Don't expect traditional Indian food and you'll be left pleased.
- Wonderful Indian Inspired FoodsscpdxDined on 7/10/2013We had another enjoyable meal at Vindalho. The food & drinks were superb as was the service. Ate way too much--especially the excellent pappadams & naan with all the wonderful chutneys. Such a great place-so glad ts close to home.Special Features:
- Portland Indian FoodBananaslugDined on 6/27/2013Unfortunately this restaurant has bland, poorly-spiced Indian food like the many other Indian restaurants in Portland. However, the green salad with mango was a generous size and tasty, but both the vegetarian and chicken curries were rather bland.
- Tasty & pleasant experienceNWneighborDined on 6/27/2013This was our first visit. Given all the raves, I guess I thought it would be a little more specially. 4 of us shared several dishes family style. All were tasting and service was pleasant. Reasonably priced too.Special Features:
- SpicesconjuntoDined on 6/19/2013We were looking for a light meal celebration before a poetry reading. Eating family style, sharing our selections, all 5 of us agreed that our soups, salad, pork and naan dips were delicious and and the spicing delectable. We would all return for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AdiosfpotterDined on 6/18/2013We arrived for dinner on Saturday and discovered that Vindalho was set to close the next day. On to Bollywood....
- Luke warm experienceJnginpdxDined on 6/18/2013Meh, we had a so-so time. Food was good, drinks were good. The service was indifferent, which was disappointing. The staff seemed to enjoy congregating in front of the open kitchen to joke and talk amongst themselves. No one seemed in charge. Probably wont go back. There are just too many great restaurants with great service in this town to deal with mediocrity.
- Ultra delicious Indian foodAlizaDined on 6/15/2013This is the best Indian restaurant in Portland, hands down. It's much pricier than other "normal" Indian restaurants, but for a splurge it is totally worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a lovely experience...lynnbDined on 6/14/2013Four of us had a delicious meal at Vindalho. Two of us got the $29 June Restaurant Special and the other two ordered ala carte. To begin a great evening you need an inviting cocktail....Vindalho does a great job with all their inventive cocktails. The appetizers were mouth watering and our entrees delicious. I always recommend the lamb curry....so good and always enough to take leftovers home. The two specials were delicious....vegetable curry (sounds bland....it isn't!) and a chicken dish (tika? maybe) ...we ended our meal with a perfect lime tart (make that three lime tarts!) and excellent coffee (which to my mind ends the evening as perfectly and the cocktails begin it). I highly recommend this beautiful space for a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- their dishes are yummy!eggieVIPDined on 6/12/2013we love all their dishes, soups, salads, etc. LOVE that they have the plain Papadums to snack on for the adults and the kids! (some indian restaurants offer super spicy papadums and it's too much). their lamb dish is great, their chicken dishes are great, and their specials are delicious. the layout of the restaurant is nice, spacious, comfortable, clean, and they have huge windows and an area that is open to the street for the nice summer weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch your drinks - Indian MusicOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2013Well, the food is wonderful, but - and this has happened to me twice - servers pick up your drink before you are finished and don't ask if you are finished. Darn! Hate that. Also, we liked the old style Indian music - the current music is not pleasing at all and doesn't fit the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Desserts to die for, entrees OKBlueMoonBabyDined on 6/1/2013our entrees were overpriced (and one really bland) for curries, though ingredients were high-quality. chicken curry had really good flavor, but pricey at $16. salad/soup tasty but also high-priced. a friend accurately ID'd it as "homemade" taste-- good flavor, but nothing that sparkled with culinary aplomb. desserts, however, outshine most similarly-priced spots. Unbelievable flavor in Masala Chai Creme Brulee. The execution not ideal for a CB (though still good), but taste more than made up for it. Worth going just for that. The Chocolate Pistachio Mousse Cake is worth getting but order for take-out & let come to room temp -- way better than straight out of their fridge. Prob won't return for dinner, but will for dessert.
- Excellent Service, party 6!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/26/2013Very attentive service. The butternut squash soup and vegetable pakora were delicious !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Indian in PortlandMrKawakuboVIPDined on 5/25/2013Without question, one of the best Indian restaurants in the Pacific NW (maybe #2 after Vij's in Vancouver, BC). Fresh modern Indian with distinct and clear flavors. And the chutneys are outstanding! On this occasion our server was fantastic. On a previous visit the server was merely acceptable. So service can be a mixed bag, which is the case with just about every restaurant in Portland, but overall I think the service at Vindalho is very good. The naan could potentially be improved---and, the atmosphere is nice, but a little sparse and on the cheap. But overall Vindalho is the best Indian you will find in Portland and well worth many visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gone down hill.. rather off a cliffdisapntedDined on 5/19/2013this was ONCE upon a time the best choice for indian next to Plainfields Mayur ( which has now closed) but now it is no better than slop the wort dal ive ever tasted dal that is runny!! you should be flogged for even calling it dal the naan undercook over slathered in butter! the while meal was awful the chutneys weree laughably bland!! i was embarassed to take my date there total slop not one item was remotely prepared correctly unforgivably bad!
- Great IndianteddymarDined on 5/18/2013This is probably the best Indian restaurant in the Portland area. We had two curries, distinct and excellent. Service is friendly and efficient. We found this a great place to dine prior to a concert. It is a busy place, so make reservations; you can do it online.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!JulesDined on 5/16/2013I chose this restaurant for my birthday dinner, and was not disappointed. The food was excellent and our server was very attentive and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Foodcsmo68Dined on 5/3/2013This was a nice place, our server was sweet and friendly when she was available, I really do t like to constantly have to ask for drink refills, wanting to give my order etc. This is a nice restaurant with nice food, but might use a few more wait staff, I think that our server had too many tables at once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a perfect meal, food andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/28/2013Had a perfect meal, food and drinks and service were fantastic.Special Features:
- All the dishes were excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013All the dishes were excellent and a reasonable size. The server suggested a very nice wine to go with our food.Special Features:
- Truly delicious food, uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/21/2013Truly delicious food, unique flavor combinations, everything on the menu is a delicacy!Special Features:
- Perfect dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/17/2013We took a friend to Vindalho for her birthday dinner. The food is simply divine, cocktails pair perfectly with complex spices. Even the handcrafted chai was delightful. Service was a bit slow, although the server was pleasant and knowledgeable about menu items. Coming to this restaurant is always a special treat!Special Features:
- Five of us each shared differentRedSoxNationVIPDined on 4/7/2013Five of us each shared different entrees. Each was very well prepared - chicken tikka and pork vindalho were the favorites.Special Features:
- Indian food with a fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2013Indian food with a fine dining twist. It doesn't stray too far from the path, though, so you can expect a traditional meal, just dressed up a little.Special Features:
- Always excellent! The prawnMimiVIPDined on 4/6/2013Always excellent! The prawn special was exceptionally nice, and I had enough left over to bring home. Great cocktails, and our server was so professional and fun. She had been at Vindalho 4 years, so she had everything down pat that would make a person's dining experience that much more enjoyable. Definitely a restaurant to revisit soon!Special Features:
- The food was excellent! IOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2013The food was excellent! I will be back when I visit Portland.Special Features:
- Great food, great experience,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Great food, great experience, service was exceptional. Server was prompt, friendly, knowledgeable, helpful. Very nice.Special Features:
- Everything was very tasty,TheodorDined on 3/10/2013Everything was very tasty, and there was plenty of it!Special Features:
- Return to Vindalhoo!KC66Dined on 3/9/2013Another very nice dinner here! We ordered a number of small plates and they came out in a staggered format which was great. We also had an excellent, attentive and personable server. Overall, a very enjoyable evening!Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/3/2013Excellent restaurant, service was great and the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- We were blown away by everyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/20/2013We were blown away by every aspect of this place! Very inspired cocktails, pitch perfect on the modern interpretation of classic Indian dishes and the service was wonderful. The honey cumin chicken wings with cucumber mint raita were to DIE FOR! The dessert coffee drinks were a little on the sweet side but our server did warn us. I'm not a big dessert person in general but I loved the Chai Creme Brûlée. My husband and I are definitely bringing our out of town family here when they come to visit.Special Features:
- Avoid Saturday night...noisy, etc!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2013We normally visit Vindalho on days other than Saturday night at 6, and this visit showed why. Parking was atrocious: it took me 20+ minutes to find a spot over 4 blocks away and I wasn't the only car hunting for spaces...by the time I got to the restaurant I was frazzled and somewhat stressed out. The noise level didn't help: it was so noisy I couldn't hear what a person less than 3 feet away was saying! And while the food was typically excellent, the waitress seemed more interested in talking with her friends than checking tables (and as a former waiter, I know the signs). So a recommendation for the cuisine? Of course...but as for the rest of the experience, that's why I rated things so low.Special Features:
- Food was delish! Service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Food was delish! Service was helpful and spectacular! A must return! Thank you!Special Features:
- Great Food on Tiny TablesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013This time(02/15)around I found the 'Special o/t Night': not so-special. The excellent-baked salmon portion was (too) large (2 big chunks each), one such piece would have been considered 'normal.' The rice was just-about like 'normally good/. While the MANGO+BEAN combo was visually a winner it was disappointingly chilled (fridge-cold), therefore the special o/t night wasn't 'Fine-Cuisine.' Also; too much food towering on a mid-sized plate; competing for space on a tiny table with an overload on dinner related accesoires makes good food to easy appear as grubby. But, Vinalho is still better than any average place in Portland.Special Features:
- Excellently prepared food,friendlydidgeVIPDined on 2/15/2013Excellently prepared food,friendly staff, new construction and open space. Only negatives are: 1.NO place to park unless you get lucky, and 2.The ceiling fan above us was set on TOO HIGH SPEED for winter. Don't bother to check the wine list, this food is NOT wine friendly. Nice beers and the tamarind drink was excellentSpecial Features:
- Excellent Indian food. EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Excellent Indian food. Evening specials always interesting and varied. Superior service. Dining here is always a special experience and we leave happy and glad to have made the trip to once again enjoy this gem hidden in SE Portland.Special Features:
- This was a very slow nightterryrDined on 2/13/2013This was a very slow night for Vindalho. It's usually quite noisy, and quite busy. However, the meal took quite a long time to come. The food was good, but because of how long I waited, I can't give it more stars. With the restaurant 1/4 full, the service should have been more timely.Special Features:
- Everything was great. We weren'tJoshDined on 2/9/2013Everything was great. We weren't too crazy about the stuffed garlic naan. This isn't your local authentic Indian restaurant (and the menu is very limited), but I would definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and a supervandyVIPDined on 2/8/2013Fantastic food and a super fine waitress in Emily!!Special Features: