1732 N. Halsted
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vincichicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 266-1199
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:30pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:30 - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Paul Loduca
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Country Italian style cuisine.
- Private Party Facilities: Vinci may accommodate parties of 10 or more.
- Private Party Contact: Aykut Sinanoglu 312-266-1199
A word from Vinci
Vinci serves up hearty Italian food to comfort and satisfy. Beautiful Da Vinci style murals, floor to ceiling wine racks, and soft lighting create a warm and comfortable spot in the heart of Lincoln Parks theater district. Vinci also offers wine dinners on the second Wednesday of each month.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vinci reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (86)fit for foodies (44)good for groups (41)romantic (32)special occasion (30)notable wine list (22)great for outdoor dining (13)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (5)great for lunch (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Vinci BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2014Friends and I enjoyed a great brunch at Vinci. The ambience, the food, and the service all were rated outstanding by each of the four of us. Not very busy so the noise level was very conversation friendly and we felt very comfortable lingering and visiting. Overall a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie49Dined on 11/15/2014My son goes to college in the neighborhood. Whenever our family gets together in Chicago, it's become one of our favorite restaurants. Food and service are always very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchPAM1VIPDined on 11/9/2014THIS IS A GODD PLACE FOR BRUNCH...FOOD IS GOO AND CLOSE TO STEPPENWOLF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGlutinoDined on 11/8/2014Vinci shows great sensitivity to those with food sensitivities. They have a gluten free menu and I asked them to prepare the salmon in a very plain way-no garlic, etc. and they responded well to this request. The two other people at the table--my wife and an out of town visitor both liked their food very much. Attentive service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TimingBillVIPDined on 10/30/2014Great, but was seated 45 minutes after our reservation was scheduled for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable ambience, food, serviceBillDined on 10/26/2014My first experience here was in the mid-nineties when I was working in the area. I have returned from time to time after moving to Los Angeles when I would visit Chicago. I always order the Tagliatele with veal ragu sauce. It has never disappointed me! Now that I have moved back to Chicago Vinci is on my "go to" list of Italian restaurants. I highly recommend it to neighborhood folks and visitors to the City. The wine list is fine for me although I'm not a connosieur.Special Features:
- Pre-Theatre Unfailing ChumJaponaisStayAwayDined on 10/26/2014Halsted between Willow and North is host to an unsurprisingly large number of restaurants - unsurprising because it's also home to Steppenwolf and Royal George Theatres. Vinci's been serving up pastas, steaks, chops, and seafood entrees for years and I've been eating there for years, but the surprising thing (you knew there was a surprise here somewhere, right?) is that the food is still made with fresh ingredients (no corners cut), prepared well and served with a rapidity that'd be the envy of any hash house or diner in the city. Yet, I never feel rushed, even when a 7:30 curtain awaits. We split the arugula salad, tagliatelle and the cornish hen and it was delicious and there was still room for the apple cake. ;-)Special Features:
- Veni, Vidi, VINCIFooddocVIPDined on 10/25/2014We were a family group of 12 including a 2 year old, and the staff, especially our server, Jorge, handled everything perfectly. The food was prepared to perfection, the timing excellent, the quality of the dishes amazing, and everyone left satisfied and happy! The menu is varied with so many different choices to please a large group individually. Pastas, fish, meats, were all terrific. Will definitely go back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will come back!JK27Dined on 10/23/2014Large restaurant with a lot of space. All the food we ordered was really good! Two things that sold me: they come around with a bread basket and they brought us limoncello after dinner for our girls' evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/23/2014Our waiter was inconsiderate of our conversation. He marched up to the table several times and interrupted our conversation with some comment, rather than waiting for us to finish our sentence and then talk to us or ask a question. This has happened at Vinci with other waiters, so I think they have a problem of waiter training, and they need to review their standards of courtesy toward customers!!!Special Features:
- Exceptional dining spotFazPDined on 10/19/2014It's great for dining as a couple or a group or hosting special occasions. We took some out of town guests who were quite impressed, and they have visited Italy on many occassions. One problem, it's incredibly hard to find street parking. Be prepared to use Vinci's valet service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post-Theatre Delightfoodie4sureDined on 10/17/2014I joined my wife and friends at Vinci (where they had earlier eaten dinner) for post-Steppenwolf drinks and desert about 9:30 pm on Friday 10/17. There were perhaps a dozen or so other diners upon our arrival. The desert menu included a range of wonderful offerings including a chocolate mousse cake with a berry sauce and an apple cake served with a vanilla gelato with pistachios (the tables favorite). The food was delightful and the service quick and gracious. We have known and enjoyed Vinci for years. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks, Vinci!DinerDined on 10/17/2014A delightful place for dinner before theatre or without theatre. Beautiful surroundings, lovely menu, attentive staff and wonderful food. Always a pleasure to come back here!Special Features:
- NummyTummyPixieNummyTummyPixieDined on 10/12/2014As a retired public relations executive, I was surprised that I had not heard of Vinci, although it is within walking distance of my home! Perhaps, they could address this by inviting the media. For brunch on Marathon Day, it was ideal: No crowds! Food was adequate, but not outstandinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AliceVIPDined on 10/11/2014Great food, atmosphere, price, service. Will definitely return. Huge restaurant could accommodate large groups as well as individual diners. Not a lot of kids at the restaurant, but they had high chairs and allowed our 1-year old to quietly join us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater FunMueller3819Dined on 10/11/2014We love going to Vinci before seeing a show at The Steppenwolf. The service is great and the food is delicious. We also head back to Vinci after the show for a drink at the bar…the bartender Clyde is welcoming and cheerful. We will be back!Special Features:
- October wine dinner was great!wolfcookerVIPDined on 10/8/2014Wonderful food & service. Four courses with wines all delicious.Special Features:
- Convenient and pleasantEateateatDined on 10/4/2014Vinci's is very convenient to Steppenwolf Theater. The staff is very good. The bar is fine. I wish my beef entree had been tastier.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ItalianMidwestVeggieDined on 10/3/2014Tasty food, very pleasant atmosphere (cozy yet spacious), and the service was excellent. Consistently fine food, in a place where you can feel very comfortable. Also, a good selection of vegetarian items - just ask the server for recommendations. We have been there several times, and each time we enjoyed it more.Special Features:
- Frequent dinerNUFANVIPDined on 9/21/2014Great for after Steppenwolf. We make it a regular visit.Special Features:
- Not up to it's usual standardBarneyVIPDined on 9/21/2014The service was slow, the food was good, but not stellar. Usually, I really find this restaurant top notch, so this seemed to be an unusual bump in the road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BJOscarDined on 9/20/2014This is a repeat visit, this time was not very good. The food so-so, coffee was bitter, they replaced it but it still was bitter, not drinkable. Then I was overcharge for the drinks, not a big deal, but when you don't have a good experience it all adds up.Special Features:
- Perfect Italian DiningCrystalDined on 9/7/2014Always love dining here with family or just my husband. We have celebrated birthdays, graduations and special holidays with family and friends for years. Food is always delicious and the staff always make you feel like family and take great care of you. Hope they are around for a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014We haven't been to Vinci in many years and we're so glad we decided to return. The food is as good as we remember and it's just such a great place to enjoy an evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!!!kiepkathDined on 8/29/2014The food was great and the service was very good as well. I ordered a pasta dish off the gluten free menu and it was fantastic!! I would definitely return to Vinci. For an appetizer we ordered the Caprese Salad, which was very good as well. All four of the people in our group had no complaints about the food. The restaurant wasn't super busy when we dined on a Friday night. This restaurant is worth a trip to.Special Features:
- A lovely night in ChicagoaWanderingConsidineDined on 8/29/2014I took my wife to Vinci this last weekend for a romantic dinner for two - and had a lovely time. The staff was very friendly, and had some great recommendations. The food was outstanding. We will certainly make an effort to come back any time we swing through Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed with Vinci'sJaneVIPDined on 8/29/2014We have been dining at Vinci's for many years prior to theater time at Steppenwolf. However, it has been declining lately -- we do not know the reason. We were denied our favorite table, which was empty when we arrived, and stayed vacant for over an hour. We had an unpleasant waitress -- I requested a second serving of bread and she argued with me about the slice I pointed to. She ask no one else at the table if they would like a second, but left in a huff. Our entries appeared to have been warmed in the micro. My raviolies were hard around the edges and the basil leaves were brown and dry. My husband's pasta on the bottom was stuck to the plate. It was all dreadful and we will not return!! Jane
- Cozy, lovely, great foodCherDined on 8/28/2014I nearly always choose Vinci for pre-Steppenwolf dinner because I know it will be great, and service will be prompt if needed. There seem to be other nice places worth a whirl, but I love Vinci too much to try them! It reminds me of the Italian restaurants of my hometown - NYC. Great cocktails too. Warning - the food is high comfort (rich).Special Features:
- Dropped the ballSteakloverVIPDined on 8/24/2014Vinci has been one our GO TO place for wonderful food and service. This past Sunday, I selected Vinci to help celebrate my sister's 75th b-day. Had a 4pm reservation and noted the event. We were greeted and shown to our table. The waiter was VERY difficult to understand, the food made up for his shortcomings. As we ended the meal, I waited for the usual 'cake' to come out. NEVER happened. Upon leaving I asked the host about the oversight, he asked me "Did you let us know?' Which we both saw when he looked up the reservation. He apologized and said "I'll make it up to you, next visit" I said 'fine' and we left. Sadly we can never RE-DO the event. Additionally, I am not inclined to return any time soon and will share this story.Special Features:
- Great for Pre-TheatredisappointedVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a wonderful dinner before going to the Steppenwolf Theatre. The service was great. Loved my cocktail with the muddled berries and sage. The fig appetizer was delicious and the veal was even better. Would definitely go back again. We sat outside and since the patio is on the side street it was nice and peaceful.Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Always a wonderful experience. Food and service always outswtanding. Love this place. Great place to eat before theater.Special Features:
- Perfect before theaterimwriterDined on 8/12/2014Vinci keeps upping its game, and we continue to be pleased. We've gone there for years, but the food keeps getting better. Beautifully seasoned and very pleasing.Special Features:
- FIne Italian food on the patioBJdinerDined on 8/10/2014On a recent trip to Chicago with friends we chose theis restaurant because of proximity to Steppenwolf. We were very satisfied with both our dinners and service. All had pasta and all of the dishes were well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vinci a Great For Dinner and a ShowRedhawkBillDined on 8/7/2014We had a great evening, dining at Vinci before heading next door to the Steppenwolf for a show. Can't beat the convenience for a very special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GnocchiLookingforexcellenceVIPDined on 8/3/2014Strange sausage in this dish. My friend ate around it. All in all food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1040 reviews are from the Vinci reviews archive.
- Wonderful food and great service!aroy3755Dined on 7/22/2014My husband and I ate here before going to a performance at Steppenwolf Theatre and couldn't be happier. Our reservation was at 5:30PM and they don't start seating until that time but they open the bar at 5:00PM so we went in and ordered a drink while we waited. The bartender was very engaging and made wonderful drinks (he made by the far the best lemon drop I've ever had). Once seated we were served fresh bread and butter which was amazing. I ordered the rigattoni and my husband had the raviolli and both were absolutely mouth watering. We were then surprised with a dessert on the house for our anniversary and it was just as amazing as the rest of our meal. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves italian food!Special Features:
- Theater connectionMURPHDined on 7/16/2014A great pre-theater dinner before going to Steppenwolf! They are very aware of curtain times and aim to please! Great variety of choice menu dishes and good wine.Special Features:
- Great place before TheaterPhilVIPDined on 7/13/2014Great to go before or after Steppenwolf Theater. Good food, friendly service. Clyde is great at the Bar and makes excellent wine suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect before and after theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014The atmosphere was friendly and the food was perfect with ideal portions that satisfied without filling up just before the theater.Special Features:
- OscarOscarDined on 7/6/2014Good food and good friendly service, we wil come backlSpecial Features: