1346 Lincoln Ave.
San Jose, CA 95125Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vin-santo.com/
- Phone: 4089202508
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Umberto Pala
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We have a private dining room upstairs that can accomodate up to 65 guests
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accommodate large parties in the dining room or private room (15-70 people). Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Sharlene Pala 4089202508
- Entertainment: Winemaker's Dinner - call for details
- Special Events: Happy Hour Tues-Sat 5:00pm - 6:30pm,
complimentary appetizers and 1/2 price wine by the glass
A word from Vin Santo
This popular bistro in the Old Masonic building offers excellent Northern Italian cuisine in a beautiful atmosphere. Blond wood floors and Tuscan yellow walls adorn the inside.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Vin Santo - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Vin Santo reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (55)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (24)romantic (19)great for outdoor dining (15)good for groups (13)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (7)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Reminds us of being in Italy.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014We really enjoy coming to Vin Santo. While not really aimed at kids, in a neighborhood with lots of families it's great that you can come in earlier with your kids and have a nice meal, or come later without kids and get an adult experience. The staff and the chef are wonderful and welcoming. It reminds us of our experiences in Italy. The food is great. Handmade pastas and raviolis, a large variety of delicious appetizer choices and well prepared meat dishes. The only time we haven't loved the food was when trying some of the specials, but even the ones we didn't love we still enjoyed. The hardest part about the menu is choosing. There are extensive options and specials so you are sure to find just what you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dave GDaveDined on 10/11/2014Again, the food was outstanding, the service was great and we had a wonderful evening with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, okay serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014The food was good but the service was lacking. It took 20 min for someone to come over and ask if we wanted drinks. Everything took very long and the staff seemed to be more involved with conversating with each other. At the end of our meal we sat there waiting for our check as our waiter was by the bar talking to the other servers. There was also one staff member at the end walking around with a glass of wine in her hand. Whether you are an owner or a manger that is very unprofessional while the business is open. Maybe it was an off night, I am willing to give it a try since the food was great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood eatsVictoriaDined on 10/10/2014We always enjoy going to Vin Santo whether it be happy hour or dining. The food is delicious and they have a great wine selection. They made sure to accommodate my mother who is currently in a wheelchair. We really appreciated the extra attention.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/3/2014Food is inconsistent . Our appetizer and salad were very good but the main course left a bit to be desired . My risotto was way undercooked which should not be the case in a restaurant that is Italian based and makes its own pasta. Very noisey and even the waiter said the acoustics are not good. We had not been to this restaurant in a long time and probably won't rush back again.
- Solid, noisy neighborhood option.WGLocalDinerVIPDined on 9/28/2014Vin Santo has never failed to provide very good quality, tasty food, served with a dash of interesting presentation. I never hesitate to go for the food, but I am starting to hesitate to go because of the noise level. During regular dinner hours, the room becomes too loud to easily hear the people on the other side of the table, particularly if a large group is in the house (a frequent occurrence). We will still go occasionally, but the noise mars an otherwise quality experience.Special Features:
- Celebrating AnniversaryDaveDined on 9/27/2014I had been to Vin Santo previously but my wife had never been there. We went to celebrate our wedding anniversary and had a GREAT time and a FABULOUS meal. The owner (wife) wished us a happy anniversary and bought us a sparkling wine at the bar. Dinner was fabulous...we shared two salads, shared a pasta and my wife had the chicken and I had the pork...everything was great. The owner (husband-chef) came by the table to ensure everything was good and we had a great conversation...the people sitting at the tables to each of our sides were friendly and we felt we were there with friends. We will be back!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Friday nightLuvGoodFoodDined on 9/26/2014This place accepts the passport card. So we decided to try it. We ended up with the best table especially since we had our 10 month old Grandson. The table was right by the sidewalk in a semi patio area. So you could get fresh air from outside and watch people on the sidewalk as they went by. The interior of the restaurant was not as open or well-lit. So for us with a baby the table worked out well. The food was good. I had to send my lamb back to be cooked more. It was very rare and I had ordered medium. When they brought the lamb back, they had added an extra piece, more potatoes and broccoli which was a nice touch. Other than that everything else was good. Btw, they also have live music. So we would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014We have been to Vin Santo many times for dinner but had not tried their brunch. The menu had many things to choose from and all of us loved our choices. The chicken and waffles and italian eggs Benedict was off the charts!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/20/2014very nice place, good food, excellent staff; just VERY loudSpecial Features:
- great dinning34yearsDined on 9/20/2014Always enjoy dinning at Vin Santo. Friendly with great food. Never rush you to finish even when people are waiting to get in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreLiketoeatDined on 9/14/2014Compared to the old owner/chef, this one was mediocre at best! I ordered medium rare lamb chops & they were served well done & at a barely warm temperature. The vegetables were all overdone & very salty! While the waitress was attentive & offered to get a new meal, I didn't have the time to spare. Overall it was a disappointing experience. The gelato for desert was the best part of the meal. That said, my companion had the wild boar & said it was very good.Special Features:
- Good RestaurantnerdDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I along with another couple were trying to come up with a restaurant for Saturday night. The other couple had tried Vin Santo once before so we decided to go for it. The place was very pleasant, friendly, and the food delicious. The only negative was that the dining room was very hot which our server apologized for. We were all sweaty when we left. I will go back but later in the Fall when the weather has cooled off a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- scrumptousblueyedblancheDined on 9/10/2014The food was outstanding! My gourmet-chef of a husband was very impressed, and that's saying something.Special Features:
- Vin Santo RestaurantErnieDined on 9/4/2014The restaurant is casual and reasonably priced. The Lamb Chops were grilled and delicious. There were six of us and we were seated by the window, which opens out into the street sidewalk. Best time to be seated at this table is about 6:45pm, when the sun goes down and blinding you. The waiter was pleasant and attentive. I would recommend dinning at this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Great food, excellent servicemvwgDined on 8/31/2014Went to celebrate a birthday. Appetizers were amazing as were the entrees. Service was outstanding. Fantastic experience;. will definitely return.Special Features:
- A Perfect EveningnicoDined on 8/30/2014I love Umberto, Marcella and Ruben. They are truly dedicated to fine food and incomparable service in our Willow Glen neighborhood. I feel privileged to have dined there last Saturday evening with my sister and niece. An accomplished musician played fabulous music while we leisurely enjoyed the best meal we've had in a very long time. I look forward to returning soon. When you go remember to order Umberto's broccoli! It's the best and so is this gem of a restaurant. Thank you Umberto, Marcella and Ruben for being here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!MullyDined on 8/29/2014Oh, what great food! We had a table of seven people, and every one of us thought our meal was outstanding. The waitstaff was excellent and we happened to be there on a night they had booked live music (which was also excellent!). If you manage to have dinner at Vin Santo on an evening when Matt Bolton is playing, you will have an amazing evening. Vin Santo has earned the top spot on my list of favorite restaurants. I will be going back again, and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Very enjoyable evening. The meal was memorably delicious.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary PartyZiggybobDined on 8/19/2014Although we had visited previously, we were especially pleased with our recent visit to Vin Santo. The service was great, we got the window table we requested , but we were especially pleased with the menu selections, the originality of the menu items, the presentation of the food and the most especially the flavor of the food. Everyone enjoyed their selections and had a really good time. We highly recommend Vin Santo and can't wait untio our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014I really wanted to like this place because it's close to home and in lovely Willow Glen. But the noise level was off the charts. We were a party of four and had to yell in order for anyone at our table to hear us. And on top of that they had a musician there singing. Could not even hear him at all. The food was not tasteful at all. I had butternut squash raviolis that were so bland, no flavor. Others at the table said their food had no flavor. I hate to say bad things about a place, but we were so disappointed.
- Good dining experienceAbcalumDined on 8/14/2014Vin Santo is a quaint Italian place in the heart of downtown Willow Glen. It boasts regional classics from the chef's hometown in Italy. However, as folks who appreciate good Italian fare, we were confused by two things. First, the thickness of the ravioli skins were way too thick. It was too bad, since the fillings and sauces were quite tasty. And although tender and well-seasoned, the braised boar was paired with spaghetti when it could have been better paired with a more suitable pasta like a pappardelle.Special Features:
- HomemadeFoodDined on 8/9/2014Great homemade pasta with good prices! Cute restaurant in nice area. Good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good againMountainGirlDined on 8/9/2014Despite a couple of bad-ish reviews found on the Y site, I have always found Vin Santo to live up to expectations: really good and innovative food, nice service. My only criticism was that the cabernet I ordered was served too warm. Room temperature is supposed to be that of a "Norman castle" (50 or 55 degrees), not the 80 of a San Jose summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A major disappointment1NitPickerDined on 7/31/2014There was NO air conditioning on one of the warmest nights of the year. Not good. Restaurant way too noisy We had to scream to hear one another. Food was nothing of merit. Best think going for this place is the staff. I hope the owner realizes what a gold mine he has. Even the hostess whipped into action bringing new plates and napkins to our table for a couple of late arrivals. Mitchell, our waiter, was wonderful with his wine recommendations, etc.
- a real disappointmentgorgeDined on 7/27/2014We have been to this restaurant many times since it first opened. However, the change in ownership did a dis service to the quality. Our food overall was really bad. We had the fish tasting menu for $50. The first course presentation was really bad. It was served on what looked like an horsdourve tier and was hard to get at to eat. The octopus salad was so chewey it was not edible. Fish was so heavily breaded and fried that it was not edible either. Canneloni with lobster sauce was dry. Will not go back
- Food arrived slowmadeaterVIPDined on 7/20/2014We waited around 40 mins for main course to arrive whereas people who came a lot later than us got their appetizers before us. May not come again due to the long wait despite good food.Special Features:
- still disappointingduddDined on 7/19/2014have not enjoyed the food or the ambience (way too noisy!) in the past but always willing to try again…its been a while…and still way too noisy (even sitting outside) and the food is mediocre…the sea bass was dry and awful…the pasta was mediocre…sorry…wish it were different…I live in the neighborhood and would love to love this place!
- Enjoyed the evening...makeminerareDined on 7/12/2014Sharing a meal with friends we hadn't seen in awhile. Food was good (I had carpaccio and cioppino), Our waiter took good care of us. He was attentive without being pushy. But at 7:15 the place was loud. There was a live solo musician (amplified) which made everyone talk louder and inhibited conversation at our table. Good place for dinner if you're looking for stimulation - not if you want quiet conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian foodWinedaddysrVIPDined on 7/12/2014We love the authentic Italian food at Vin Santo. They do need to bake some real Italian breads. Corn muffins do not fit their menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian home cookingJulieYVIPDined on 7/12/2014Food is good -- in the style of your Italian mother or grandmother -- large but not plated prettily. Heirloom tomato salad was large. Seemed to be only one kind of tomato, chopped in big chunks, way too many kalamata olives, too little basil, but a nice dollop of burrata cheese. Wild boar ragu over spaghetti - very tasty. The portion was enough for 3 people -- a huge pile of food with nothing visually appealing about it. But very tasty. Espresso creme brulee -- yum, but I would have liked the top 'brulee' thicker. Seems like it was browned earlier and kept it in the fridge since the top was a bit soft. Have had some pastas there in the past and thought they were delicious. But again, home cooking style not upscale look.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit on 7/11/14Goldie4lifeDined on 7/11/2014The welcoming staff was wonderful and the waiter was very friendly and efficient. The menu selections and the weekly specials were diversified to satisfy whatever you had a taste for. The food was very good and will definitely bring us back to sample other items on the menu that sounded delicious. The wine list had excellent selections to compliment the taste of whatever you ordered. Guests should plan to park in the lot directly behind Vin Santo for easy access to and from the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Nice neighborhood setting, with some street side dining. While we had excellent service the food and wine was inconsistent. Some entries great, others lacking. Would recommend dishes from the specials menu. In particular the soft shell crab salad was excellent.Special Features:
- Great homemade pastaDininJenDined on 7/2/2014It's all about the homemade pasta dishes. Love that they have half orders! Even better when they have their live music nights. Sitting on the patio is a real treat it's as if you are in Italy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/29/2014They don't over salt their food which is great. The cioppino is ok, not great, seemed more of a poor man's fish stew then what is being charged for it. The sauce for ravioli is very good, the ravioli itself is a bit blend. The cream buele where they give u two, one regular and one mocha is outstanding!Special Features:
- Great Food and Great ServiceDagnyDined on 6/27/2014I am not from San Jose and found this place through open table and was amazed with how well priced their items were and how incredible their food was. Everything was perfect, it is a perfect place for a romantic night out. It was by far the best Italian good we have ever had, and the best dinner overall we have ever had. If you are thinking about having a great dining experience as well as a romantic night out look no further than Vin Santo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rich food bigOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/26/2014The menu has lots of choices. I had the quail with andouille sausage and polenta. The 2 quails were messy to eat due to the bonieness. It would be better if they served only the leg thigh and breast. I did not eat the sausage as they were spicy but I knew the quail would be enough.Special Features:
- Great evening1wgfoodieDined on 6/25/2014We were a group of 12. Pasqual Esposito was singing that night. This made it an especially festive evening. Everyone enjoyed their food choices. In a group of foodies of Italian heritage the food got rave reviews. The salads were outstanding as we're our main course selections. Affogatto enjoyed for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 567 reviews are from the Vin Santo reviews archive.
- A bit disappointingDanRVIPDined on 6/21/2014To be fair, we visited Vin Santo on a night when there was a street fair on Lincoln which added noise to an already noisy restaurant. People needed to shout to be heard. The food was OK but not special. The service was slow. We'll give it another try when there is no street fair going on.Special Features:
- DebgVIPDined on 6/20/2014Unfortunately my first impression was the hostess (who I later found out was the manager) and she was very abbrassive almost rude. As "the" guest it was not appropriate. Sorry to say she should not be the one greeting the guests. The food was o'k, service good, restaurant ambiance is lovely. I think my initial greeting dampered my experience.Special Features: