2010 Hillsborough Rd.
Durham, NC 27705Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vinrougerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9194160406
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kelly
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Michael Maller 9194160406
A word from Vin Rouge
Vin rouge is a French Bistro. We focus on classic preparations served in a true bistro atmosphere. We have beautiful patio and garden areas for those who prefer to dine outside. Please indicate your preference for dining inside or out. We look forward to serving you at Vin Rouge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Vin Rouge - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Vin Rouge reviews from OpenTable diners
259 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (166)special occasion (144)neighborhood gem (129)romantic (120)great for outdoor dining (117)notable wine list (115)great for brunch (76)good for groups (32)hot spot (18)late-night find (13)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (3)Show More
- A Hiiden GemdrwjwelshDined on 9/28/2014I recently visited Raleigh for business. Unfortunately, my restaurant of choice was closed on Sunday. I searched for establishments that were open on Sunday (easier said than done). Vin Rouge was the first to meet my criteria. While I wasn't excited with where they sat us (in the bar, next to the kitchen)...especially since I had a reservation...my concern was quickly erased by Natalie, an efficient and helpful wait-person. We followed her advice on every course...the Shrimp Provençal was sublime, the trout almandine delicious, and the creme brûlée was one of the best I've had in years. The next time I am in Durham, I will return to Vin Rouge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, lackluster serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014Food great as always. Service from beginning to end was not of the caliber expected at any restaurant. In Durham restaurants, we almost always get top notch service.
- Food has potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014The menu offers a fair variety and for the most part, the food is very good. Atmosphere is a bit rustic and the service quality is fair. Our server had 4 tables when we arrived at 9:00pm and he sparingly reviewed items with us. He recommended the hanger steak over a filet or ribeye, and while it was very flavorful, it was also tough to chew. He also was given a table of 16 before we had ordered the wine to go with out dinner so we didn't see him again until our dinner arrived. Manager comped our oysters grautine because we bit on two pieces of shells in it, but they were amazingly delicious. It was our second time there and we may not go back for a third time..I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely garden; food goodBethEDined on 9/27/2014We had a lovely evening. We sat in the garden and the wait staff was pretty attentive, answering questions and allowing us to taste the wine before we committed to a bottle. We shared an oysters au gratin -- but found only 3 or 4 oysters hiding in an ocean of au gratin. It was tasty but we would have preferred more oyster and less cheese. Two of our party ordered the hanger steaks -- an excellent cut but both steaks were overcooked. The wait staff did not check on us until we were half way into our meal; when we noted the overcooked steak they offered immediately to have the steaks redone. We declined since we were already so far into our entrées, and they comped part of the meal. Salads, escargot, wine, and fries were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceekp425Dined on 9/27/2014We had a great romantic dinner at Vin Rouge. The steak frites are great and a very hefty portion, although it's cooked more on the rare-side so be aware. Waitress was very helpful with all of our needs, although we were at a "bistro" table that was very loud since the open kitchen is right there. Also although they have an extensive wine list, their wine by the glass is limited.Special Features:
- HtaylorDined on 9/27/2014We had a great dinner at Vin Rouge! The food was great, our waitperson helped us with excellent wine choices and we enjoyed a leisurely meal with good friends. We look forward to dinner there again soon.Special Features:
- First time experiencesasdqmDined on 9/24/2014My first time dining at Vin Rouge was a treat. Very good food and excellent service! It was a hectic drive from Raleigh but was so worth it. Parking was a problem, however. I will return!Special Features:
- Vin RougejeffDined on 9/21/2014The food, service, and ambiance at Vin Rouge was perfect.Special Features:
- Best I Ever AteNurseAnniePVIPDined on 9/21/2014We decided to come here after watching "The Best I Ever Ate" on the Food Network and saw that celebrity chef Alex Guarnaschelli adored the gratin de macaroni. The place is beautiful and has a lovely outdoor seating area- very French! Very romantic date spot!Special Features:
- Charmingdakini1969Dined on 9/20/2014Excellent food. Charming environment. Needs better ventilation. Came home smelling of food.Special Features:
- Great food. Attentive service.DurhamDinerDined on 9/17/2014Meals at Vin Rouge are always a delight. I only wish that (a) the noise level inside were not so high and (b) the chairs outside were more comfortable.Special Features:
- Vin Rouge - always a pleasuredsl6826Dined on 9/16/2014Each visit to Vin Rouge is pleasure! Whether with a group or for a "small" dinner the experience is always excellent. After every visit I remind myself I need to go more often! The menu and special choices are varied and consistently well presented and, most important, delicious. Friends and colleagues that have not been to Vin Rouge always tell me I made an excellent suggestion/choice!Special Features:
- Always wonderful!EnjoygoodrestaurantsDined on 9/16/2014Enjoyed escargot - yum! Calves liver cooked to perfection with a delicious sauce. Beautiful, professional service. Would highly recommend it. Just one negative. We were seated in the "Cave room", which was a first for me. We had a noisy group of ten enjoying themselves - I would recommend seating in their smaller room.Special Features:
- Come for mussels, stay for mousseSusanDined on 9/12/2014Vin Rouge is solidly stellar. The food is outstanding, and the staff is thoroughly professional -- prompt yet discreet, anticipating every need without hovering. The key here is to avoid over-ordering, or you will stuff yourself. If you want entrees, then split one order of mussels between the two of you as an appetizer; they give you plenty. You must, must, add the frites and the spinach. Only if you pace yourself can you then reward yourself with that glorious mousse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DjdtVIPDined on 9/11/2014Salmon with lentils is wonderful. Salads are dressed perfectly. $25 for three courses some night is an excellent choice. Great food and servers are very personable. Warm friendly place to eat.Special Features:
- NoRaDinerDined on 9/10/2014Love this place. Live in Raleigh and is our favorite restaurant in the triangle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseSurprisedGuyDined on 9/6/2014I had not been here before but we enjoyed it very much . I had the fish special( cod) which was OK but not great and a little costly . I thought a French restaurant would use a sauce but not the case . On the other hand my wife had the oysters which were baked in an incredible bacon cheese sauce plus the apple bread pudding dessert was outstanding. In summary we will go back but stay with the items on there regular menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Mealcamera05Dined on 9/5/2014This was our fourth visit and like the previous three we were not disappointed. The service was excellent and the food was memorable. Parking space can be challenging during busy times.Special Features:
- Decent but not amazingThebigbirdDined on 9/5/2014This Durham icon was a bit disappointing. The food isn't cheap and so I expected something a little more inspired. Cucumber soup was good, but there was too much of it, and it was a bit much after a huge bowl of it. Baguettes were OK, but not up to a good French restaurant. Not crispy enough and far too dense a crumb. The cod special again was decent, but not incredible. The sauce was a little muddy. Better French food can be had elsewhere. Service was very good. Ambiance was good. Lots of people with young kids...with Elmo's next door, not sure why!Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantAzoozDined on 9/2/2014We are never dissapointed when we dine at Vin Rouge. Wonderful food and great service. We'll be coming here again for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShabsVIPDined on 9/2/2014Vin Rouge used to be a go to for us. However our last 3 visits the quality has declined. We have noticed a decline in their staples such as the onion soup, the moules and the steak frites. Since we had been regular previously, we will give Vin Rouge another chance to redeem itself as we really hope they can redeem their poor track record of late and return to their outstanding quality of food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- VeganVeganDined on 8/30/2014The chef is always quite "vegan friendly" and invariably creates a memorable entre. This is increasingly the norm in better restaurants but has consistently been the case at Vin Rouge.Special Features:
- A favoriteHenryDined on 8/30/2014Vin Rouge has been one of our favorite restaurants since our first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful outdoor diningFrequentDurhamDinerDined on 8/29/2014We had an early reservation and were one of only two occupied tables on the patio at the start. We had a leisurely meal, ordering a little at a time. Our server ably recommended both wines and oysters (of which there were maybe 6 types on offer). As the evening progressed, the patio filled up, and were it not for everyone speaking English, you might forget you were in the States. All in all, a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration elevated!HPandRPDined on 8/28/2014We were celebrating a fabulous job offer and decided to try Vin Rouge. Our server, Jessica, was a bright spot in an already glowing atmosphere of tantalizing aromas and spot on professionalism. She was bright, friendly, gave great recommendations and was the ultimate server. Courses were timed perfectly, giving us enough time to savor each properly. The Oyster Gratinée & Escargot were divine, as were the North Atlantic Cod, Steak Tartare, Crème Brûlée, Chocolate Mousse & Assiette D'Olives. We are already planning to come back soon with friends to share this outrageously wonderful experience and have another unforgettable evening. We highly recommend Vin Rouge!Special Features:
- Best brunch in town!moxie1406Dined on 8/24/2014Vin Rouge has been one of my favorite places for brunch for many years. The poached eggs are always cooked perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experinceDickDined on 8/24/2014a great eclectic French dining experience. Service and food exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service. Too loudsk821Dined on 8/22/2014Restaurant was excellent. Unfortunately the people it attracts make it not a great place for a quiet romantic dinner. Wouldn't hesitate to go back, just not for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, even better servicehoyamomDined on 8/22/2014We really enjoyed our dinner with your son and his girlfriend. The staff was wonderfully accomodating. Our only problem was translating the menu! (although the staff was very helpful!)Special Features:
- Too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014We had made a reservation for Thurs night, asking for a quiet table for 2 to celebrate my husbands birthday. The sound in that room was as if there were 50 loud people instead of the 15 that were seated across 4-5 tables, we had to shout across the table to each other. Our server was new and didn't know the menu, the steak came out rare instead of medium , I became desperate w the loudness, we packed up our food after it came back out and left without dessert or coffee. Great place but not this night, I left disappointed. Overpaid for a mediocre experience on a night that was special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsPhilDined on 8/21/2014Consistently terrific food. We always look forward to our visits there and often take out of town guests for what we can count on as fabulous meal. It's difficult to choose delights and we find that we often order way more than we can eat (take home containers are cheerfully prepared). The charcuterie plate is almost a meal in itself with wonderful pate's and assorted fresh vegetables. The beet salad is a must try and the trout almandine is superb. If you don't like close spaces this place is not for you since it is generally very small, the tables are close together and it does get a little noisy as the evening goes on, but it only ads to the charm. It is the top of our list when French is absolutely what we are in the mood for.Special Features:
- A must tryJoey211VIPDined on 8/20/2014My wife and I eat out a lot. We love food. This gets an A+ in our book. Super nice people the manager (Kenny?) did a great job helping wri our wine But the food....outstanding....the mussels in a Dijon sauce were excellent. The trout...the hanger steak...my wife still sighs and whispers"when can we go back to durham and see our daughter...and eat at Vin Rouge". If I had to pick on it....the service was a little ...relaxed ...but they were trying so hard and the food was so good...didn't matterSpecial Features:
- Consistently delicious!betseyeDined on 8/19/2014My daughter is a college student in NC and we often go here when we are in town. The food is well prepared with a quaint atmosphere. When my daughter wants a home cooked delicious meal, this is the place she goes to for a splurge.Special Features:
- Good, but not consistantFoodie4lifeDined on 8/16/2014My wife and i have been to Vin Rouge many times, but most often for Sunday brunch. Their classic bistro menu for brunch is a great option. This past visit was for dinner. Their in-house made charcuterie is always spot on, as it was this time. I had ordered a rib-eye au Poivre cooked medium rare and found the cut riddled with tough, uneatable fat...the sinew sort which you can't chew. My wife's chilled fruits de mar (chilled crab, lobster, clams and oysters) were good however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ItalianbyBirthItalianbyBirthDined on 8/16/2014Excellent as always! You are given large portions and the food is delicious. Service was very attentive and polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing and delicious.GO7DDined on 8/15/2014Atmosphere was amazing and good was delicous. Our server was excellent, and i would highly be recommending this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French treat in DurhamPopocoloriDined on 8/12/2014We really enjoyed the mussels (moules). One had a choice of sauce added to the traditional white wine sauce. I chose dijon which was tasty; my colleague chose chorizo which even better. Excellent wine list at reasonable prices. We had the Sancerre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Must you do anything special to eat in the first room you enter or the one to the right? We usually end up in the big room in the back.Special Features:
- Wonderful!aleebDined on 8/9/2014Delicious food, great wine pairings. The mousse was excellent.Special Features:
- DelightfulMelncrgDined on 8/8/2014This delightful restaurant has never disappointed me. On my most recent visit, I began my meal with the charcuterie plate. It was DIVINE. It's my new obsession.Special Features: