2010 Hillsborough Rd.
Durham, NC 27705Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vinrougerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9194160406
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kelly
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Michael Maller 9194160406
A word from Vin Rouge
Vin rouge is a French Bistro. We focus on classic preparations served in a true bistro atmosphere. We have beautiful patio and garden areas for those who prefer to dine outside. Please indicate your preference for dining inside or out. We look forward to serving you at Vin Rouge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Vin Rouge - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Vin Rouge reviews from OpenTable diners
264 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (162)special occasion (149)romantic (127)great for outdoor dining (122)neighborhood gem (121)notable wine list (117)great for brunch (85)good for groups (33)hot spot (19)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (12)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (5)Show More
- Come for mussels, stay for mousseSusanDined on 9/12/2014Vin Rouge is solidly stellar. The food is outstanding, and the staff is thoroughly professional -- prompt yet discreet, anticipating every need without hovering. The key here is to avoid over-ordering, or you will stuff yourself. If you want entrees, then split one order of mussels between the two of you as an appetizer; they give you plenty. You must, must, add the frites and the spinach. Only if you pace yourself can you then reward yourself with that glorious mousse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DjdtVIPDined on 9/11/2014Salmon with lentils is wonderful. Salads are dressed perfectly. $25 for three courses some night is an excellent choice. Great food and servers are very personable. Warm friendly place to eat.Special Features:
- NoRaDinerDined on 9/10/2014Love this place. Live in Raleigh and is our favorite restaurant in the triangle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseSurprisedGuyDined on 9/6/2014I had not been here before but we enjoyed it very much . I had the fish special( cod) which was OK but not great and a little costly . I thought a French restaurant would use a sauce but not the case . On the other hand my wife had the oysters which were baked in an incredible bacon cheese sauce plus the apple bread pudding dessert was outstanding. In summary we will go back but stay with the items on there regular menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Mealcamera05Dined on 9/5/2014This was our fourth visit and like the previous three we were not disappointed. The service was excellent and the food was memorable. Parking space can be challenging during busy times.Special Features:
- Decent but not amazingThebigbirdDined on 9/5/2014This Durham icon was a bit disappointing. The food isn't cheap and so I expected something a little more inspired. Cucumber soup was good, but there was too much of it, and it was a bit much after a huge bowl of it. Baguettes were OK, but not up to a good French restaurant. Not crispy enough and far too dense a crumb. The cod special again was decent, but not incredible. The sauce was a little muddy. Better French food can be had elsewhere. Service was very good. Ambiance was good. Lots of people with young kids...with Elmo's next door, not sure why!Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantAzoozDined on 9/2/2014We are never dissapointed when we dine at Vin Rouge. Wonderful food and great service. We'll be coming here again for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShabsVIPDined on 9/2/2014Vin Rouge used to be a go to for us. However our last 3 visits the quality has declined. We have noticed a decline in their staples such as the onion soup, the moules and the steak frites. Since we had been regular previously, we will give Vin Rouge another chance to redeem itself as we really hope they can redeem their poor track record of late and return to their outstanding quality of food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- VeganVeganDined on 8/30/2014The chef is always quite "vegan friendly" and invariably creates a memorable entre. This is increasingly the norm in better restaurants but has consistently been the case at Vin Rouge.Special Features:
- A favoriteHenryDined on 8/30/2014Vin Rouge has been one of our favorite restaurants since our first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful outdoor diningFrequentDurhamDinerDined on 8/29/2014We had an early reservation and were one of only two occupied tables on the patio at the start. We had a leisurely meal, ordering a little at a time. Our server ably recommended both wines and oysters (of which there were maybe 6 types on offer). As the evening progressed, the patio filled up, and were it not for everyone speaking English, you might forget you were in the States. All in all, a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration elevated!HPandRPDined on 8/28/2014We were celebrating a fabulous job offer and decided to try Vin Rouge. Our server, Jessica, was a bright spot in an already glowing atmosphere of tantalizing aromas and spot on professionalism. She was bright, friendly, gave great recommendations and was the ultimate server. Courses were timed perfectly, giving us enough time to savor each properly. The Oyster Gratinée & Escargot were divine, as were the North Atlantic Cod, Steak Tartare, Crème Brûlée, Chocolate Mousse & Assiette D'Olives. We are already planning to come back soon with friends to share this outrageously wonderful experience and have another unforgettable evening. We highly recommend Vin Rouge!Special Features:
- Best brunch in town!moxie1406Dined on 8/24/2014Vin Rouge has been one of my favorite places for brunch for many years. The poached eggs are always cooked perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experinceDickDined on 8/24/2014a great eclectic French dining experience. Service and food exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service. Too loudsk821Dined on 8/22/2014Restaurant was excellent. Unfortunately the people it attracts make it not a great place for a quiet romantic dinner. Wouldn't hesitate to go back, just not for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, even better servicehoyamomDined on 8/22/2014We really enjoyed our dinner with your son and his girlfriend. The staff was wonderfully accomodating. Our only problem was translating the menu! (although the staff was very helpful!)Special Features:
- Too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014We had made a reservation for Thurs night, asking for a quiet table for 2 to celebrate my husbands birthday. The sound in that room was as if there were 50 loud people instead of the 15 that were seated across 4-5 tables, we had to shout across the table to each other. Our server was new and didn't know the menu, the steak came out rare instead of medium , I became desperate w the loudness, we packed up our food after it came back out and left without dessert or coffee. Great place but not this night, I left disappointed. Overpaid for a mediocre experience on a night that was special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsPhilDined on 8/21/2014Consistently terrific food. We always look forward to our visits there and often take out of town guests for what we can count on as fabulous meal. It's difficult to choose delights and we find that we often order way more than we can eat (take home containers are cheerfully prepared). The charcuterie plate is almost a meal in itself with wonderful pate's and assorted fresh vegetables. The beet salad is a must try and the trout almandine is superb. If you don't like close spaces this place is not for you since it is generally very small, the tables are close together and it does get a little noisy as the evening goes on, but it only ads to the charm. It is the top of our list when French is absolutely what we are in the mood for.Special Features:
- A must tryJoey211VIPDined on 8/20/2014My wife and I eat out a lot. We love food. This gets an A+ in our book. Super nice people the manager (Kenny?) did a great job helping wri our wine But the food....outstanding....the mussels in a Dijon sauce were excellent. The trout...the hanger steak...my wife still sighs and whispers"when can we go back to durham and see our daughter...and eat at Vin Rouge". If I had to pick on it....the service was a little ...relaxed ...but they were trying so hard and the food was so good...didn't matterSpecial Features:
- Consistently delicious!betseyeDined on 8/19/2014My daughter is a college student in NC and we often go here when we are in town. The food is well prepared with a quaint atmosphere. When my daughter wants a home cooked delicious meal, this is the place she goes to for a splurge.Special Features:
- Good, but not consistantFoodie4lifeDined on 8/16/2014My wife and i have been to Vin Rouge many times, but most often for Sunday brunch. Their classic bistro menu for brunch is a great option. This past visit was for dinner. Their in-house made charcuterie is always spot on, as it was this time. I had ordered a rib-eye au Poivre cooked medium rare and found the cut riddled with tough, uneatable fat...the sinew sort which you can't chew. My wife's chilled fruits de mar (chilled crab, lobster, clams and oysters) were good however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ItalianbyBirthItalianbyBirthDined on 8/16/2014Excellent as always! You are given large portions and the food is delicious. Service was very attentive and polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing and delicious.GO7DDined on 8/15/2014Atmosphere was amazing and good was delicous. Our server was excellent, and i would highly be recommending this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French treat in DurhamPopocoloriDined on 8/12/2014We really enjoyed the mussels (moules). One had a choice of sauce added to the traditional white wine sauce. I chose dijon which was tasty; my colleague chose chorizo which even better. Excellent wine list at reasonable prices. We had the Sancerre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Must you do anything special to eat in the first room you enter or the one to the right? We usually end up in the big room in the back.Special Features:
- Wonderful!aleebDined on 8/9/2014Delicious food, great wine pairings. The mousse was excellent.Special Features:
- DelightfulMelncrgDined on 8/8/2014This delightful restaurant has never disappointed me. On my most recent visit, I began my meal with the charcuterie plate. It was DIVINE. It's my new obsession.Special Features:
- Another great eveningSimonCDined on 8/3/2014Vin Rouge is not only a West Durham neighborhood gem, it is a gem for the whole of the Raleigh-Durham Triangle. Great food, excellent wines, really friendly service and a true French bistro atmosphere.Special Features:
- Gratinee de MacaronikravmagahDined on 8/3/2014The Gratinee de Macaroni is just fantastic and cheesy and delicious! The husband had the steak frites, and his dish was amazing as well. Definitely will be be back for special occasions. Very happy with my experience there.Special Features:
- Fabulous BrunchLadyChristineVIPDined on 8/3/2014Have been here a couple times before for brunch and dinner. Never fails to exceed expectations. Service was wonderful. The food was amazing. I had scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and shallots. Insane. Comes with french fries and a salad. Love the french fries and the dressing on the salad is very light and yummy. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/2/2014One of our favorite places! As usual ... food and ambiance great ... But waitress was very sub par vs the norm!Special Features:
- RichardLive2fishDined on 8/1/2014Once again Vin Rouge demonstrates why it's out favorite restaurant in the area. I rarely order steak out, especially at a place like VR, but got the NY strip w/bearnaise - superb.Special Features:
- redwoodDined on 7/31/2014The wait was wonderful. her suggestions for food and wine were spot on and she couldn't been more pleasant. The fish was excellent and the deserts were delectable. We were surprised at the reasonable prices and we would come again for any special occasion.Special Features:
- BethDined on 7/30/2014We enjoyed a very nice meal at this restaurant on a Tuesday night. There were three of us celebrating my mother's 87th birthday. The Pate with the caremlized onions was wonderful. We all thought a particular favorite. Onion soup was very tasty and very very delicious. The liver was very good but the sauce with it, not great but average good with mashed potatoes. The clams in sauce would have been really good but was over salted. We all had the Creme Brullee for dessert and it was perfect. We will go back again, the service was superb and the food was presented beautifully and very good on a whole. Only disappointment is that the staff did nothing special for my mother's birthday. Not even a complimentary drink or cookie.Special Features:
- BettyNeneDined on 7/29/2014The food was delicious but don't bother to order a drink from the bar. It's watered down and they wanted to charge us for a double shot in addition to the price of the drink. I wish the waiter would have interpreted the menu so we would know the dishes better such as which has chicken. I don't speak French. We sat inside by the window and there were 2 flies I kept hitting to get away from my table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mixed experiencezimncDined on 7/29/2014We arrived at 6:30 and were seated a little after. Unfortunately they are really strict with their 5:30 to 6:30 timings on the prix fix menu. We were seated outside. They have a table right smack in the middle of the courtyard which they use to store silverware, glasses, water jugs, etc. Very bad placement, especially when you are trying to have a romantic dinner. That table should be somewhere on the side, far away from the guest tables. Ordered the hanger steak medium well. It was charred on the outside and pink on the inside. The poulet roti was delicious. Service from our server was good, although some of the staff appeared disinterested. All in all it was a mixed experience.Special Features:
- Good food, good conversationWITravelerDined on 7/27/2014One of the nice things about our visit with friends to Vin Rouge was that we could actually talk during dinner! The Escargots I shared with my husband were very good, though we would have liked a bit more garlic and some soft, fresh bread to absorb all the garlic butter. My husband enjoyed the Trout Almondine with Haricots Vert and Pommel Purees. I chose two appetizers and a side, which worked well. The Shrimp Provencal was excellent. The Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Tart was not as successful. There was an overpowering taste I could not quite identify that became unpleasant. The Pommes Frites were excellent. Our friends enjoyed the salmon, especially with the lentils. The chocolate cake & lemon tart were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not GreatMichelleTannerDined on 7/27/2014VR was recommended to us by friends. We moved from DC where brunch is treated like a religion, and there are a million places that serve brunch. When VR was recommended so highly, I wondered if it was because it was so good or because there are fewer options here. Unfortunately, I would now say the latter is the case. Our food was good, but it wasn't anything more than that (e.g., great or wonderful). All of that said, it would have been a fine experience if our waiter hadn't seemed burdened to be serving us. He was unsmiling, unfriendly, and short with us. I try to assume that the server is having a frustrating day when this is the case, but, rightly or wrongly, we still walked away with the impression that the restaurant was snooty.
- Wonderful dinner for 6!KarensSisDined on 7/26/2014Beginning with a delicious drink at the bar, we moved to our table and proceeded to enjoy the petit plateau of seafood. It was outstanding, as was the cod special, the duck confit, the frisée salad with house lardons, and the pommes frites ( so good your eyes may roll back in your head). My father enjoyed his calf liver immensely. We finished this feast with 2 creme brulees, which were deliciously sugar crusted without being overheated. In a word, yum. Don't miss this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining!dinnrthymeDined on 7/26/2014The selections we ordered were uniformly outstanding, and their service was well timed; all aspects of our service were excellent. The only impediment to a truly lovely dining experience was the noise level -- it's too high to converse normally, which is beyond "energetic". Incorporating a few sound-absorbing materials in the dining areas would help this a lot! Otherwise, we enjoyed our time at Vin Rouge greatly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.