2010 Hillsborough Rd.
Durham, NC 27705Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vinrougerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9194160406
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kelly
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Michael Maller 9194160406
A word from Vin Rouge
Vin rouge is a French Bistro. We focus on classic preparations served in a true bistro atmosphere. We have beautiful patio and garden areas for those who prefer to dine outside. Please indicate your preference for dining inside or out. We look forward to serving you at Vin Rouge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Vin Rouge - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Vin Rouge reviews from OpenTable diners
238 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (158)special occasion (140)neighborhood gem (116)romantic (114)notable wine list (108)great for outdoor dining (106)great for brunch (63)good for groups (28)hot spot (23)late-night find (16)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (4)Show More
- Love vin rougeJoey211VIPDined on 10/23/2014Been several times Would never come to Durham without going. A real gem.!! Service great and excellent food and wine We always leave happy and content a must try!!!Special Features:
- ServiceKimmyStarDined on 10/19/2014Vin Rouge Staff are EXCELLENT! Thanks so much for a lovely dining experience. It was a special occasion for my cousin, who is blind. It was her birthday. The staff asked specific questions about our needs and rightly suggested dining on the porch, which facilitated our seating and dining brilliantly. The food was EXCELLENT, also. If I'm in Durham in the near future, I will make a return visit to Vin Rouge.Special Features:
- Very cool place!GO7DDined on 10/18/2014Good food and environment, and service is always good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DisappointmentPeakway3Dined on 10/18/2014Went for 30yr anniversary dinner and overall not impressed, Had the New York Strip that was 1/3rd fat, fries where soaked in oil and soggy. Not what i was expecting for such a nice menu. the strangest part was the dessert, we got a big empty bowl and then someone came over with the chocolate mousse. We where give three very small scoops in the hugh bowl and nothing else. No cream, berries or sauce, just these poor looking balls smaller as anything. I would not repeat or recommend to anyone.
- ExcellentLibbyODined on 10/18/2014My husband and I came here for an anniversary dinner before a DPAC show. It was perfect.Special Features:
- Love it!lahesterDined on 10/16/2014Every time we go to Vin Rouge, we know we're in for a treat. The food is amazing, prepared with skill. The wine list is extensive and always has something good to try. We've only been for dinner, but we hear the brunch is just as good. Vin Rouge is a treasure to Durham, and we hope it sticks around for a long long time.Special Features:
- Great ambiance and service!funWfriendsDined on 10/16/2014Love the 3 course meals for two and the gentle explanations of the french words in the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DjdtVIPDined on 10/16/2014Good food and wine list. We enjoyed salmon and a cod special. Save room for the chocolate mousse, enough to share.Special Features:
- DeliciousJohnnyluvsfoodDined on 10/15/2014We treated this visit as a tapas sort of dining experiences. It worked out wonderfully. We can't wait to go again and try out everything we missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service, delicious foodJLo1121Dined on 10/15/2014Went on Wednesday and took advantage of special 3 courses for $25. Menu had exactly what I wanted. Loved the butternut squash soup and hangar steak. The apple bread pudding was to die for.Special Features:
- Outstanding, as usualberthagatorDined on 10/14/2014My husband and I love this place for unwinding, sharing some amazing food, and sampling some great wines. Our last visit was no different - arriving for a 7pm reservation finds the place pretty busy and energetic, but by the time we left 2 hours later, it was clearing out and perfectly cozy.Special Features:
- Great food, okay service1215VIPDined on 10/14/2014I have been to Vin Rouge several times, and have always enjoyed my experience. The ambience is great; the food is authentic and tastes similar to food I have had in France. However, this most recent time, our hostess was incredibly rude to us - making snappy comments about how we showed up 6 minutes early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, pitiful serviceAaronhDined on 10/14/2014Salad was very large portion which was nice. Was tasty. Steak frites with ribeye was unique and tasty. The wine we ordered before dinner from the by-the-glass selection was just terrible. My Cab Sauv was so bland. My wife's glass of some white was the same. Maybe the bottles were recycled from the day before. Our waitress had a poor attitude, sloughed her shoulders when we asked for a refill of olive oil. She asked about the wine and they we said it was okay but not great she looked down and walked away without saying a word. Maybe she was just having a bad day. But her behavior and poor service really detracted from our enjoyment. We felt bad to ask her for anything. She never smiled and was downright grumpy with us the entire time.Special Features:
- great food and would recommendenjoyfinefoodDined on 10/12/2014Food was very good. Something is wrong with the service on Sunday night. Served soup without a spoon before appetizer. Discovered later that the soup (retrieved by the waiter before oysters arrived) was meant for another table. Did not receive side dish until after I had finished my main course. Had to ask for the side dish while eating main dish. Had to ask twice for a condiment to go with oysters. Did not ask if another bottle of wine was needed until after main course was finished. Service was not organized or consistent. Also, I ask to hostess to tell our waiter it was a special occasion (birthday) and did not want to share this at the table in front of the group, she refused by saying again just tell your waiter!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The food tastes great; I got the seafood stew and was very impressed. The noise level was a bit high, but the service was attentive. Certainly a five star experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food variableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014The Duck confit salad was perfect, but the chicken was way too salty and the hanger steak ordered medium was so charred on the outside that it did not taste good at all. We were headed for a show, so no time to complain and reorder.Special Features:
- Always great food and serviceCLionDined on 10/7/2014Vin Rouge is my go to spot when I want real food cooked in interesting ways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfuldrnc03VIPDined on 10/5/2014Great first experience for brunch, will definitely be back for dinner.Special Features:
- Outstanding...jmaggioncDined on 10/4/2014The food is wonderful!!! The service is impeccable... Be sure to allow time to enjoy all Vin Rouge has to offer...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All-Around ExcellencenaenateDined on 10/1/2014I took my girlfriend here for her 30th birthday. I had flowers delivered to be put on our table. I made note of the occasion and requested two glasses of bubbly accompany us to our table on the reservation. The bubbles came out without having to ask. As the manager presented the bubbles to us he made note to wish my gf a happy birthday. The manager, hostess, and our server, Ryan, all worked to find the flowers. Ryan was top-notch in service. He too made a point to wish my gf a happy birthday. I think all of the staff did!. We shared several plates of which the sweetbreads were my favorite. Creme Brulee is not a forced formality here. The food and wine are great enough to bring us back, but the service is what I'll emphasize to our friends.Special Features:
- A Hiiden GemdrwjwelshDined on 9/28/2014I recently visited Raleigh for business. Unfortunately, my restaurant of choice was closed on Sunday. I searched for establishments that were open on Sunday (easier said than done). Vin Rouge was the first to meet my criteria. While I wasn't excited with where they sat us (in the bar, next to the kitchen)...especially since I had a reservation...my concern was quickly erased by Natalie, an efficient and helpful wait-person. We followed her advice on every course...the Shrimp Provençal was sublime, the trout almandine delicious, and the creme brûlée was one of the best I've had in years. The next time I am in Durham, I will return to Vin Rouge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, lackluster serviceluvDurhamluvDined on 9/28/2014Food great as always. Service from beginning to end was not of the caliber expected at any restaurant. In Durham restaurants, we almost always get top notch service.
- Food has potentialSharonDined on 9/27/2014The menu offers a fair variety and for the most part, the food is very good. Atmosphere is a bit rustic and the service quality is fair. Our server had 4 tables when we arrived at 9:00pm and he sparingly reviewed items with us. He recommended the hanger steak over a filet or ribeye, and while it was very flavorful, it was also tough to chew. He also was given a table of 16 before we had ordered the wine to go with out dinner so we didn't see him again until our dinner arrived. Manager comped our oysters grautine because we bit on two pieces of shells in it, but they were amazingly delicious. It was our second time there and we may not go back for a third time..I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely garden; food goodBethEDined on 9/27/2014We had a lovely evening. We sat in the garden and the wait staff was pretty attentive, answering questions and allowing us to taste the wine before we committed to a bottle. We shared an oysters au gratin -- but found only 3 or 4 oysters hiding in an ocean of au gratin. It was tasty but we would have preferred more oyster and less cheese. Two of our party ordered the hanger steaks -- an excellent cut but both steaks were overcooked. The wait staff did not check on us until we were half way into our meal; when we noted the overcooked steak they offered immediately to have the steaks redone. We declined since we were already so far into our entrées, and they comped part of the meal. Salads, escargot, wine, and fries were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceekp425Dined on 9/27/2014We had a great romantic dinner at Vin Rouge. The steak frites are great and a very hefty portion, although it's cooked more on the rare-side so be aware. Waitress was very helpful with all of our needs, although we were at a "bistro" table that was very loud since the open kitchen is right there. Also although they have an extensive wine list, their wine by the glass is limited.Special Features:
- HtaylorDined on 9/27/2014We had a great dinner at Vin Rouge! The food was great, our waitperson helped us with excellent wine choices and we enjoyed a leisurely meal with good friends. We look forward to dinner there again soon.Special Features:
- First time experiencesasdqmDined on 9/24/2014My first time dining at Vin Rouge was a treat. Very good food and excellent service! It was a hectic drive from Raleigh but was so worth it. Parking was a problem, however. I will return!Special Features:
- Vin RougejeffDined on 9/21/2014The food, service, and ambiance at Vin Rouge was perfect.Special Features:
- Best I Ever AteNurseAnniePVIPDined on 9/21/2014We decided to come here after watching "The Best I Ever Ate" on the Food Network and saw that celebrity chef Alex Guarnaschelli adored the gratin de macaroni. The place is beautiful and has a lovely outdoor seating area- very French! Very romantic date spot!Special Features:
- Charmingdakini1969Dined on 9/20/2014Excellent food. Charming environment. Needs better ventilation. Came home smelling of food.Special Features:
- Great food. Attentive service.DurhamDinerDined on 9/17/2014Meals at Vin Rouge are always a delight. I only wish that (a) the noise level inside were not so high and (b) the chairs outside were more comfortable.Special Features:
- Vin Rouge - always a pleasuredsl6826Dined on 9/16/2014Each visit to Vin Rouge is pleasure! Whether with a group or for a "small" dinner the experience is always excellent. After every visit I remind myself I need to go more often! The menu and special choices are varied and consistently well presented and, most important, delicious. Friends and colleagues that have not been to Vin Rouge always tell me I made an excellent suggestion/choice!Special Features:
- Always wonderful!EnjoygoodrestaurantsDined on 9/16/2014Enjoyed escargot - yum! Calves liver cooked to perfection with a delicious sauce. Beautiful, professional service. Would highly recommend it. Just one negative. We were seated in the "Cave room", which was a first for me. We had a noisy group of ten enjoying themselves - I would recommend seating in their smaller room.Special Features:
- Come for mussels, stay for mousseSusanDined on 9/12/2014Vin Rouge is solidly stellar. The food is outstanding, and the staff is thoroughly professional -- prompt yet discreet, anticipating every need without hovering. The key here is to avoid over-ordering, or you will stuff yourself. If you want entrees, then split one order of mussels between the two of you as an appetizer; they give you plenty. You must, must, add the frites and the spinach. Only if you pace yourself can you then reward yourself with that glorious mousse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DjdtVIPDined on 9/11/2014Salmon with lentils is wonderful. Salads are dressed perfectly. $25 for three courses some night is an excellent choice. Great food and servers are very personable. Warm friendly place to eat.Special Features:
- NoRaDinerDined on 9/10/2014Love this place. Live in Raleigh and is our favorite restaurant in the triangle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseSurprisedGuyDined on 9/6/2014I had not been here before but we enjoyed it very much . I had the fish special( cod) which was OK but not great and a little costly . I thought a French restaurant would use a sauce but not the case . On the other hand my wife had the oysters which were baked in an incredible bacon cheese sauce plus the apple bread pudding dessert was outstanding. In summary we will go back but stay with the items on there regular menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Mealcamera05Dined on 9/5/2014This was our fourth visit and like the previous three we were not disappointed. The service was excellent and the food was memorable. Parking space can be challenging during busy times.Special Features:
- Decent but not amazingThebigbirdDined on 9/5/2014This Durham icon was a bit disappointing. The food isn't cheap and so I expected something a little more inspired. Cucumber soup was good, but there was too much of it, and it was a bit much after a huge bowl of it. Baguettes were OK, but not up to a good French restaurant. Not crispy enough and far too dense a crumb. The cod special again was decent, but not incredible. The sauce was a little muddy. Better French food can be had elsewhere. Service was very good. Ambiance was good. Lots of people with young kids...with Elmo's next door, not sure why!Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantAzoozDined on 9/2/2014We are never dissapointed when we dine at Vin Rouge. Wonderful food and great service. We'll be coming here again for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.