2010 Hillsborough Rd.
Durham, NC 27705Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vinrougerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (919) 416-0406
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kelly
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Michael Maller 9194160406
A word from Vin Rouge
Vin rouge is a French Bistro. We focus on classic preparations served in a true bistro atmosphere. We have beautiful patio and garden areas for those who prefer to dine outside. Please indicate your preference for dining inside or out. We look forward to serving you at Vin Rouge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Vin Rouge - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Vin Rouge reviews from OpenTable diners
262 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (178)special occasion (149)neighborhood gem (131)romantic (120)notable wine list (115)great for outdoor dining (102)great for brunch (65)good for groups (33)hot spot (26)late-night find (13)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great Food, But Poor Wine by The Glass Selections!CaseyDined on 11/19/2014Vin Rouge is a wonderful restaurant, serving consistently delicious food. I would rate it excellent except that the wines by the glass are very, very limited and difficult to find on the menu. I suggest they have a separate column listing wines by the glass and that they substantially increase their offerings. At this time there are No Cabernets and No Malbecs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic French Bistro!RedLL46Dined on 11/16/2014Lovely, creative Sunday Brunch selections with additions of Gruyere and smoked salmon, for example, to egg dishes. Extremely fast & friendly service. Hope to visit for dinner in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Paris in DurhamFoodiex2Dined on 11/15/2014Lovely authentic French bistro. Charcuterie plate was delicious, beet salad enough for two. Entrees of poulet, liver and moules were well prepared. Service was friendly and competent. Overall we enjoyed the dinner very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just one problemyumbumDined on 11/15/2014Alas, oysters gratinee were all cheese and (almost) no oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodAlexVIPDined on 11/15/2014We have eaten here several times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as reviews led us to believe.ReginaDined on 11/15/2014Nice ambiance, good wine, but food was too salty for our liking.
- Too successful for its own goodDurhamVIPDined on 11/14/2014This is a fine restaurant. The food is excellent (although the salads are way too big), but the dining room is cramped. A table of 7 was nearly in the kitchen. We had a table for 2 but set for the three of us. This was a challenge for the shared dozen oysters—where to put the large plate with them. It's a fine dining experience as far as the food goes, but most of us would not like to eat so close to each other and to neighboring diners. It seems to be too many diners at once nearly on top of each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a charming French Bistro with excellent foodKarenHVIPDined on 11/13/2014It's hard to find fault with Vin Rouge. It delivers everything you would want and expect from a French bistro and then some. Great wine selections. Oysters were as fresh as can be; clams in garlic and butter were perfect; pate and sausages were beautifully delicious ....We could hear fellow diners well and almost could share body temperature but well, it is a bistro after all. I wish I could eat there every week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome date nightkmxdalton1Dined on 11/11/2014Me and my boyfriend came here with an open mind and we got everything we wanted. Great food good wine and a good environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnersimply7Dined on 11/9/2014We were a group of 6 with two elderly people in our party. The staff was wonderful in helping the elderly parties. The prix fixe menu was good and we found items of interest but it was heavy with pork products and we are not pork eaters. So, I would recommend having an additional item on the menu which is a protein but not pork. Good wine and recommendations on it and excellent service. A good experience for all! One negative was that we were charged a 20% service charge for our group and this was not disclosed when the reservation was made. We would have preferred to have provided our own tip.Special Features:
- EpicureanVIPDined on 11/9/2014I've eaten at Vin Rouge twice before and this time disappointed. Arrogant manager with robotic wait staff. Although the pomme frites came out too soggy, soaked in oil, the NY Strip and pate was excellent. The restaurant seemed more concern with cramming in as many people as possible than taking care of their guests there.
- Cozy and fun8BitDinnerDined on 11/8/2014Open Table suggested this restaurant and they were dead on. Nice cozy atmosphere that really feels like a small French cafe. It can be a bit "chatty" so if your looking for a quiet place this probably is not for you. Food was good but be warned, the Petite Plateau is not so petite!Special Features:
- Tres bien!DeliciousEveningDined on 11/8/2014Excellent food wine and service!! Try the mussels with pomme fritte and the escargot!!! Delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as alwaysstew65Dined on 11/8/2014Have ben going to Vin Rouge for a number off years. This visit, like all the others, was outstanding. While somewhat pricey, the atmosphere, service and food make the experience well worth the cost. Would highly recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before a concertProfDined on 11/8/2014Since many of the Duke concerts have moved to the East Campus if once wants to eat prior to a concert Vin Rouge is a find. Good food, well prepared and pleasant service guaranteed to get you out in time to get you to the concert. We had e been there a number of times and have never been disappointed,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014Anniversary dinner. Did not disappoint. My wife had the 3 cheese plate while I had the L'onion gratinee. One of the best onion soups I've had. Highly recommended. For the entrée I had the steak au poivre and my wife had the chicken roti. Both were wonderful. You wouldn't go wrong ordering either. Wine list is totally French with selections in all price ranges. Our waiter, Kenny, was knowledgeable with some personality which set a good mood. The rest of the waitstaff was attentive without hovering. My wife raved about the apple bread pudding. A delightful evening of good wine and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service but noisyTomBDined on 11/2/2014We took a Duke student out to dinner. The food was great but the noise level was such that I really couldn't hear what she said across the table. The service was great, too.Special Features:
- Vin Rouge? Vin RuseRancDined on 11/2/2014I wanted to give this place another chance since I had eaten there once before finding the experience mediocre and over priced. I made reservations specifically for 6:30 Sunday evening to try the prix fixe. We arrived promptly at 6:30. However our server came a few minutes later and announced since we had not ordered by 6:30 the prix fixe was unavailable. I pointed out that our reservations were for 6:30 but that was dismissed. I made the effort to speak to the manager, same answer. We ordered salads and entrees plus a glass of house red, with slightly less charm than "Two Buck Chuck."The salad was delicious and the entree, salmon with lentils served medium, arrived colder than lukewarm. I could not eat it. $42 for this meal? What a joke.
- Worth the drive from Cary!sasdqmDined on 11/2/2014I live in Cary and rarely go to Durham. Fortunately, I friend invited me to join her at Vin Rouge. I am hooked! I have been for dinner and brunch. Vin Rouge is now at the top of my list for special outings. Great food, great service, wonderful atmosphere!Special Features:
- great Brunchsbkoala899Dined on 11/2/2014Omelettes were the best I ever had. The bread was authentic French. This is my favorite place for brunch in Durham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary dinner!JudyVIPDined on 11/1/2014Went to Vin Rouge for our anniversary dinner - have been there several times before as it's our # 1 favorite. Normally eat outside, but on this blustery cold evening, the warm, cozy atmosphere inside could not have been more perfect. The food was excellent! Tried the trout almandine which was delicious. They just don't do anything wrong there - great spot to linger over dinner and enjoy!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/31/2014The food at this restaurant is always delicious, with an excellent wine selection. The service was timely, and the staff were friendly, but not intrusive. Serving sizes are generous. This is a nice special occasion restaurant.Special Features:
- Live2fishDined on 10/31/2014As always, great dinner. Only compliant - asked for bak room, but was booked on a Friday - seemed a bit odd. Front rooms are very noisy.Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014The most consistently excellent restaurant in Durham. I've never had a bad meal. Great wines and top notch food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Best restaurant in Durham.JessDined on 10/25/2014I had Tuna Nicoise and husband had bouillabaisse which was outstanding. Wonderful selection of music and very Parisian. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Thanks for doing it again!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/25/2014Isn't it wonderful when you find that location that never ceases to deliver and always manages to some how exceed expectation, Vin Rouge is that local neighborhood restaurant this is genuinely so much more. Another wonderful Saturday night dinner of special menu items that made another ordinary day extraordinary.Special Features:
- Love vin rougeJoey211VIPDined on 10/23/2014Been several times Would never come to Durham without going. A real gem.!! Service great and excellent food and wine We always leave happy and content a must try!!!Special Features:
- Really enjoyed a lovely dinnerRikasmomVIPDined on 10/21/2014We are from DC so we really wondered about a French restaurant in Durham, NC, but it was really good. We were there on a Tuesday and were surprised how busy they were. Turns out there was a party of 60 but you would never have known it. Service was excellent. I had the onion tart and the traditional mussels. Both were excellent and as good as I have had anywhere. The cheese plate was perfect with walnuts and very sweet grapes as an accompaniment. We ordered a nice french wine. Our waiter was quick to stear my husband to the chicken liver terrine when asked which of the 2 terrines he liked. While my husband did not love his trout almondine, he is not usually a fish person so it takes a lot to wow him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceKimmyStarDined on 10/19/2014Vin Rouge Staff are EXCELLENT! Thanks so much for a lovely dining experience. It was a special occasion for my cousin, who is blind. It was her birthday. The staff asked specific questions about our needs and rightly suggested dining on the porch, which facilitated our seating and dining brilliantly. The food was EXCELLENT, also. If I'm in Durham in the near future, I will make a return visit to Vin Rouge.Special Features:
- Very cool place!GO7DDined on 10/18/2014Good food and environment, and service is always good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLibbyODined on 10/18/2014My husband and I came here for an anniversary dinner before a DPAC show. It was perfect.Special Features:
- A DisappointmentPeakway3Dined on 10/18/2014Went for 30yr anniversary dinner and overall not impressed, Had the New York Strip that was 1/3rd fat, fries where soaked in oil and soggy. Not what i was expecting for such a nice menu. the strangest part was the dessert, we got a big empty bowl and then someone came over with the chocolate mousse. We where give three very small scoops in the hugh bowl and nothing else. No cream, berries or sauce, just these poor looking balls smaller as anything. I would not repeat or recommend to anyone.
- Love it!lahesterDined on 10/16/2014Every time we go to Vin Rouge, we know we're in for a treat. The food is amazing, prepared with skill. The wine list is extensive and always has something good to try. We've only been for dinner, but we hear the brunch is just as good. Vin Rouge is a treasure to Durham, and we hope it sticks around for a long long time.Special Features:
- Great ambiance and service!funWfriendsDined on 10/16/2014Love the 3 course meals for two and the gentle explanations of the french words in the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DjdtVIPDined on 10/16/2014Good food and wine list. We enjoyed salmon and a cod special. Save room for the chocolate mousse, enough to share.Special Features:
- DeliciousJohnnyluvsfoodDined on 10/15/2014We treated this visit as a tapas sort of dining experiences. It worked out wonderfully. We can't wait to go again and try out everything we missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service, delicious foodJLo1121Dined on 10/15/2014Went on Wednesday and took advantage of special 3 courses for $25. Menu had exactly what I wanted. Loved the butternut squash soup and hangar steak. The apple bread pudding was to die for.Special Features:
- Outstanding, as usualberthagatorDined on 10/14/2014My husband and I love this place for unwinding, sharing some amazing food, and sampling some great wines. Our last visit was no different - arriving for a 7pm reservation finds the place pretty busy and energetic, but by the time we left 2 hours later, it was clearing out and perfectly cozy.Special Features:
- Great food, okay service1215VIPDined on 10/14/2014I have been to Vin Rouge several times, and have always enjoyed my experience. The ambience is great; the food is authentic and tastes similar to food I have had in France. However, this most recent time, our hostess was incredibly rude to us - making snappy comments about how we showed up 6 minutes early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, pitiful serviceAaronhDined on 10/14/2014Salad was very large portion which was nice. Was tasty. Steak frites with ribeye was unique and tasty. The wine we ordered before dinner from the by-the-glass selection was just terrible. My Cab Sauv was so bland. My wife's glass of some white was the same. Maybe the bottles were recycled from the day before. Our waitress had a poor attitude, sloughed her shoulders when we asked for a refill of olive oil. She asked about the wine and they we said it was okay but not great she looked down and walked away without saying a word. Maybe she was just having a bad day. But her behavior and poor service really detracted from our enjoyment. We felt bad to ask her for anything. She never smiled and was downright grumpy with us the entire time.Special Features: