Vin de Set
2017 Chouteau Ave
St. Louis, MO 63103Neighborhood:
Downtown St. Louis
ProvencalPrice: $30 and under
Vin de Set
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vindeset.com/
- Phone: 3142418989x
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen: Tuesday - Thursday: 11:00am - 9:00pm, Friday: 11:00am-12:00am Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Tuesday - Friday: 2:00pm-6:00 , Saturday late night appetizer specials from 10:00pm-close Sunday: Industry night
Bars stay open later
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: Ryan Buettner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For parties of 9 to 20 guests, we have a semi private wine loft overlooking our elegant bar area and a rooftop sky deck. Executive Chef, Ryan Buettner can create a menu according to your taste! This is the Chef's Tasting menu for $59.95 per person. We also feature a 3 or 4 course Prix Fixe menu for this area. Please call 314-241-8989 for more information regarding the Wine Loft for up to 20 guests, For information regarding larger parties, please contact Moulin Events and Meetings at 314-241-4949.
- Private Party Facilities: Rehearsal dinners, Corporate events, wedding receptions, and social events hosted. Groups as intimate as 10 or as grand as 750. All rooms, menus and service is customized for our guests. All spaces can be equipped with AV and sound systems upon request. Contact Ann Jones for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Ann Jones 3142414949x
A word from Vin de Set
An upscale, casual bistro with many dining areas; one with a beautiful fireplace & a lively year-round outdoor terrace featuring approachable, Southern French cuisine.Outdoor seating is not guaranteed at the time of your reservation. The name Vin de Set comes from the phonetic spelling of the French number 2017, the address on Chouteau Avenue. Situated on the roof of a national historic landmark just minutes from downtown St. Louis, Vin de Set offers an expansive open-air deck for dining and outdoor bar, indoor dining rooms and a breathtaking indoor bar. The design is inspired by 19th century architecture which features vaulted ceilings, exposed brick and towering arched windows with panoramic views of the arch, Union Station and downtown St. Louis. The marriage of the existing structure, modern finishes, seasonal classic cuisine of southern France which creates a distinctive atmosphere & culinary experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Vin de Set - Best Restaurants in Downtown St. Louis ›
Vin de Set reviews from OpenTable diners
268 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (220)scenic view (173)special occasion (148)romantic (146)fit for foodies (126)neighborhood gem (83)notable wine list (63)good for groups (57)great for brunch (49)hot spot (41)great for lunch (40)late-night find (33)vibrant bar scene (17)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- Lovely B-day dinnerImakerezDined on 9/20/2014Beautiful evening for rooftop dining. Superb service & you MUST try the French 75 cocktail..wonderful! Our appetizers were great. We each ordered 1 of the 2 specials offered; Prime rib & the Hake. My husband thought it was the best Prime rib he'd ever had. My hake was perfectly cooked, but it came on a bed of gnocchi that were tasteless & like paste...it made the whole dish unappealing. I would definitely go back, but not order anything with gnocchi:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014The setting is great. Food quality could be better for price you're paying. Service was pretty good. Best for appetizers, small plates and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance, food was mehOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014The potato croquettes were bland and both of our steaks were tough (he had the ribeye, I had the petite filets). Fries were soggy and cold. I was so excited for my first experience here, and left disappointed.Special Features:
- Always love this placeLittleJohn2Dined on 9/19/2014This is one of my favorite places in St. Louis. Great view - Very metro feel. Service is great and food is always very good, but I was disappointed in the fish I ordered. It was their special that night and the variety was something I had never heard of before so I thought I would try it. It turned out to be very soft - too mushy for me. My husband had the Chilean Sea Bass - excellent. The other thing I like about Vinde Set is that the menu is varied. There is usually something on it that I have not had before. It was our anniversary and staff was wonderful. They gave us a free dessert and a card signed by the wait staff. Very nice. It will continue to be one of my favorite places.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014Loved the restaurant. We had a great waiter that made the evening fun also. I would highly recommend to everyone! Loved it!Special Features:
- St Louis GemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014We always have a wonderful experience at Vin de Set. The ambiance, service, and food are always top notch. This is definitely our "go-to" restaurant for special occasions. When the weather is warm and the sky is clear you can't beat their roof-top dining.Special Features:
- Great foodMurrayDined on 9/7/2014A nice brunch with a wide variety yet not so overwhelming that it becomes unpleasant. Nice shaded patio. Love that a mimosa is included - that was a happy surprise.Special Features:
- great experienceyuppiedinerDined on 9/6/2014pro: seated on time, excellent service, and beautiful view (rooftop dining). con: drinks were overpriced. food was very solid but nothing memorable (I had one of the fish selections, on the recommendation that this was a top seafood spot).Special Features:
- Perfect EveningAnnCDined on 9/6/2014Loved the wine, sea bass, company, service and view. Thanks for making my bday so special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greattheWaiterDined on 9/5/2014Great as always ,forgot my credit card at the restaurant, they called me before i knew i left it.which is another reason to have a reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sept 6regulardinerDined on 9/5/2014Specials were outstanding. I had pork bellies appetizer and lamb chops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.MikeDined on 8/31/2014Our waitor was Charles and he was an excellent help to my girlfriend because she had never been to a French restaurant or even knew what the menu said. He was also very personable and friendly. On top of that the food was excellent.! I will definitely be returning in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesourpl8Dined on 8/31/2014We have been visiting Vin de Set for years and always enjoy our meal and atmosphere. Our Marine son was engaged here, our other son had his first date with his fiancé here!! It is our place for special occasions and for my husband and I to enjoy. The wait staff was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, execution needs workDougFoodRantsDined on 8/30/2014We had a reservation but ended up in one of a few booths in the bar.Ambiance was bar like,not fine dining.Overall the food was good, but the chef’s spotty execution needs work.I think we came on “no salt night” because on my dishes I needed to add salt.The onion soup was very good with a dark broth,but it was really sweet and needed salt.The Potato & Gruyere Croquettes were cooked well,crunchy and smooth inside,but again they needed salt and the Gruyere was not detectable.I had some of my wife’s mixed green salad and it was very well made.For my entree,I ordered the Grilled Petite Filets with the Brandy peppercorn sauce.My dish was over cooked and needed to be remade,which they quickly did.Ran out of room,so the rest will be on urban spoon.Special Features:
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Vin de Set is our go to neighborhood restaurant for special occasions. This visit did not disappointed. The food was amazing, the wine was plentiful, and the service was top notch. And don't forget dessert. Totally worth the caloric splurge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014Always a lovely dining experience. Menu is a bit limited, but everything is excellent.Special Features:
- Problem with entreeEdZachDined on 8/27/2014My order was the Grilled Petite Filets from the menu. Two filets were delivered and one was grilled perfectly. However the other was not cooked 'medium' as specified but was instead very rare and really chewy. Of course it was my fault for not sending it back but this type of restaurant should get it right the first time. It will be a while before I return.Special Features:
- A bit let downKah8756Dined on 8/24/2014I was really looking forward to their brunch after hearing all the amazing reviews. All of the food was cold and we arrived at 11am. This should not have happened.Special Features:
- loved the place and the service butbgroneDined on 8/23/2014the restaurant is beautiful inside and the outdoor seating would have been great except it was 100 degrees the day we went so sitting outside wasn't an option that night. they accomodated us by letting us sit inside and the server was very good even though he had tables outside and ours upstairs. That was a little odd but he did a good job none the less. Appetizers and salads were just great and my wife couldn't stop singing her praises for the Sea Bass. I on the other hand had a less than favorable ribeye steak. It was cooked just the way I like it, medium rare, but the meat itself was tough and flavorless. For a $30 steak I would have hoped for better. I thought that it might have just been my steak but my friend said the same thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeddyDined on 8/23/2014Had a good experience. Food was not as adventuresome as it was the last time I was there. The manager was very efficient and keep our reservation when we called that we were delayed in traffic. Overall experience was very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been a while but great againtwofoodiesDined on 8/23/2014We hadn't been at Vin de Set in quite a while but was so glad we came back. Just marvelous as we remembered. Brendan was our server and he was fabulous. The best Sea Bass in all of St. Louis and the Petite Fillets melted in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening Even on a Hot NightMOmannDined on 8/22/2014We dined at Vin de Set for my wife's birthday on a hot August Friday. We had an 8 o'clock reservation, but arrived 20 minutes early and were still promptly seated. The heat may have scared some off. We had the crab beignets, beef tartare, special garlic soup, split the Missouri trout and got the crembrulee (on the house) for dessert. The best dish was the beignets. Overall, good food, but even better setting. We'll be back sometime to try the Sunday brunch that our waiter raved about.Special Features:
- Great experienceemily123Dined on 8/22/2014We had a group of nine people. We opted to sit outside. Even though it was a warm evening with the sun down it was defightful. Each person could hear one another as we shared appetizers. The food was delicious with great wine. Several of us lingered for awhile enjoying the evening.Special Features:
- Worth the Drive!FromWaterlooDined on 8/22/2014We make the drive from Southern Illinois because we have found the food, service, and outdoor dining worth it! A favorite place to celebrate birthdays and special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerdavemoDined on 8/22/2014One of the wife's favorite places. Sat inside for the first time due to the heat. Always a pleasure.Special Features:
- Excellent, as usuallrslacDined on 8/17/2014As usual, the service was outstanding (Thanks, Adolphus), the rooftop beautiful, and the food was delicious. This is really a nice place to enjoy an evening. Our guests had never been there before, and my dad was completely bowled over by the experience.Special Features:
- vin de set dinnerKeely88Dined on 8/15/2014Staff was very friendly, I made reservations for 8:30 they didn't seem very busy but we weren't seated until 9. Luckily they have a great outdoor bar that we waited at until they came and got us. The food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyYoungbloodDined on 8/15/2014We celebrated our anniversary with an exquisite meal served elegantly - simple and superb! Can't recommend highly enough - though I don't want everyone going and making it hard to get in :)Special Features:
- Vin de SetOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2014All of the guests were eating on the lovely outside dining area but we wanted a quieter space. We had the indoor dining room all to ourselves. A wonderful and leisurely dinner in a beautiful space.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceNiceguy1129Dined on 8/13/2014In St. Louis for business and heard about Vin de Set. We had a beautiful evening with a very comfortable temperature. Our table offered a view of the Arch and downtown St. Louis. The server was professional and attentive to our needs. The starters of scallops or spicy crab beignets were excellent. The main course followed shortly after and the trout and ribeye steak were cooked to perfection. Overall, a wonderful experience and a great way to have a relaxing meal at the end of a busy work day in St. Louis. I will return to Vin de Set when back in town.Special Features:
- Brunch Treat at Vin de SetSaintLouisRickDined on 8/10/2014Vin de Set offers a unique brunch. There were far more outside diners, than inside customers since this Saint Louis summer has turned to fall-like temperatures. They have house made sausage, a blue cheese salad with lettuce onions and large walnuts, the standard bacon, scrambled eggs and biscuits and gravy (the gravy tasted a little sweet--goooood). I learned to take a certain dessert as soon as I get there, because they ran out. It will remain unnamed. The prime rib was tasty, but not for those who like it "done". Those diners can ask to have it cooked more in the kitchen. Soup, creations, dessert, it was all good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Everything was wonderful, I love it when the staff know when to wait on you and when to leave you alone. I don't need a song and dance when filling my water and that's what usually happens, but not here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Roof Top BarCharlieDined on 8/8/2014Always Enjoy Vin de Set Atmosphere and Rooftop Bar. Unfortunately, the food was lacking. Very unimpressive, and poorly presented food. I had the "special" which that nigth was some kind of Striped Bass with a "grilled" cream corn topping. Looked like a baked preformed fish meet loaf.......Did not feel the love in the food. Otherwise, good atmosphere and drinks were good with a decent wine list. Don't recall eating there before and probably will keep it that way, but love the roof top summer drink experience. Service was good.Special Features:
- Nachi1Dined on 8/6/2014Ordered a bottle of wine and two house specialties, the food was just okay. The service was very good and the outdoor roof top dining experience was nice. It rained during our meal so that put a little damper on the experience our table for two was moved closer to a larger party to get us out of the rain and under a canopy. Overall I would've expected the food to be better for the price I paid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarilynDined on 8/6/2014Went for the first time and wanted to sit on the deck, but weather prohibited it. Inside was cozy, the waiter was friendly and informed. The food was good and the portions very big, especially for a french restaurant. I will be back in better weather..Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/2/2014Returned to have dinner outside, beautiful evening. Cocktails were good, beer choice adequate. Dinner was very good, especially the snapper and sea bass. Service was attentive, but the real winner was the weather. One of the best places for outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Wonderful Anniversary Dateekluvsrg2Dined on 8/2/2014Thank you to Bobby who was our server, he did a great job!!! Thank you for the great table we really appreciate it. The whole evening was so special to the both of us celebrating 3 yr anniversary. Really loved the note card all the staff signed wishing us a Happy Anniversary, quite a special touch. Everything was amazingSpecial Features:
- DisappointedMidgeDined on 7/31/2014We have loved Vin de Set but something was terribly wrong in the kitchen Thursday evening. I ordered the petite fillets, asked the server how I should order for the meat to be pink. What arrived was gray throughout. It went back to the kitchen and returned to me about the time everyone else finished their meals. The side dishes on the plate were no longer warm and the meat although pink, was not appetizing because of the amount of connective tissue; certainly not what I expected from fillet. Someone else in our party ordered pork tenderloin which was very overcooked. We spent a lot of money on a bad meal. But mostly, our celebration with our guests was very embarrassing. PS-the server mumbled-we caught about half of what she said.Special Features:
- Vin de Set: spectacular!HorussDined on 7/29/2014We have eaten at Vin de Set many times and without exception the food, the service, and the atmosphere were absolutely spectacular: this time was no different. From the moment you enter the place you feel good because it is friendly, welcoming and the staff is professional, friendly--even warm to all, they know what they're doing and they do it well. The same can be said of the kitchen: it is quite clear they know their business and do it exceptionally well. Every appetizer, side dish and entrée were not only delicious but beautifully presented in a manner that says clearly "what you are about to eat was prepared by someone who knows their business and takes pride in it." Just can't recommend Vin de Set enough! Go! Got often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food not-so-good servicefood2bizDined on 7/29/2014Long wait for wine, coffee order wrong, long wait for check, waiter frequently MIA so had to make requests of the manager as she walked by. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.