Villard Michel Richard Bistro
455 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Villard Michel Richard Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.villardmichelrichard.com/
- Phone: 2128918100x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
Breakfast: 6:30 am - 11:00 am
Saturday - Sunday
Breakfast: 7:30 am -12:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Villard Michel Richard Bistro
Renowned Chef Michel Richard, delivers his refreshingly inventive, signature culinary style reflected with touches of whimsy and clever presentations at his newest venue. Villard Michel Richard Bistro showcases Michel’s masterful culinary techniques and vibrant artistic imagination. Located in the historic Villard Mansion at 50th and Madison Avenue, the restaurant features is an ideal place for power breakfast meetings, with American and Continental breakfasts served, along with specialty morning fare. We look forward to welcoming you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Villard Michel Richard Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
romantic (22)special occasion (21)notable wine list (18)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (8)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (7)neighborhood gem (6)scenic view (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Excellent BreakfastEmilyR81VIPDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I live in NYC and had a gift card to the NY Palace - we were stumped on how to use it, because we don't need a hotel room in the city we live! So when I saw this restaurant we figured we'd just use it there, not really expecting anything spectacular though. We were so wrong! It was one of the best breakfasts we've had in the city. Granted it was also the most expensive breakfast we've had - but we did go all out since we had the gift card. Highly recommend for a special breakfast/brunch. I'm taking my mom again this weekend when she visits. Creamed spinach was exceptional as were their "tater tots". Belgian Waffle was also one of the best I've had. We also saw a MAJOR NHL player there, so that made it even more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MommaDined on 7/6/2014Room: Stunning, Service: Perfect, friendly, extremely attentive, professional, personable, attention to detail that you don't see anymore Food: Delicious Our second day at the Palace we had reservations elsewhere but canceled because we enjoyed the Villard Bistro so much the previous day Thank youSpecial Features:
- what a roombayheadVIPDined on 6/27/2014beautiful room, great service and a great breakfast
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/15/2014The food was excellent but as a single diner, I was disappointed that they gave me a terrible table, when the entire dining room was empty save one couple. I requested a different table and the hostess reluctantly complied. I was there for about 90 in total and once the other couple left, I was ALONE in the dining room for 60 minutes, then a family of 6 was seated. I was disappointed that I was not given a wine list. When I asked for one, the server first turned it to the "wines by the glass" before giving it to me. I ordered a glass of champagne and then a half bottle ofa premier cru burgundy. The wine steward looked annoyed when he very hurriedly presented the bottle. I was disappointed that I had to ask that my wine be decanted.
- A special, romantic placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014A special treat of a place with georgeous interiors and excellent food, part of the old mansion in the Palace Hotel. Great location as well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/12/2014From start to finish AMAZING! I look forward to going back!Special Features:
- Great experience!love2shopDined on 6/6/2014My husband and I went for our anniversary. The food was delicious, the service was great, and the restaurant was over the top gorgeous!! Great experience! We would def go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noble restaurantKai767Dined on 5/25/2014This is a very noble restaurant with an outstanding wine list and an absolute amazing golden ambience. The food was very good. If you stay in the New York Palace Hotel, you have to stop by. KudosSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly, the waitperson's attitudelive2dineoutVIPDined on 5/21/2014Trumped any goodness this place could offer. He looked at his watch when we ordered after we asked him for a few minutes to look at the menu (after having sat down 5 minutes prior) and pretty much downhill from there. Food was nice, but skip the restaurant and go to the deli counter by same chef downstairs... Quicker, easier and painless
- Never againTheVelvetFogDined on 5/21/2014Three strikes and you're out. I have given these guys more than enough chances to improve on their poor service and indifferent attitude. Shame because it is close to my office and could fill a great void for contemporary French food in midtown. But life is too short for repeatedly poor service. Example, waiting 20 mins for a wine order to arrive only to be told that the bottle is not available. Thanks, my meal was pretty much over by then. Not the first time this has happened to me there. Another example, entrees arrive while apps are still being eaten. Entrees then get put under covers on a side table and arrive cold. Again, not the first time this has happened. Too bad, farewell.
- Elegance of the Gilded Ageadh10022Dined on 5/20/2014The Villard houses are former guiled age mansions that are part of the Palace Hotel. The recent renovation was excellent and re-opened this beautiful restaurant venue. The menu is updated and healthy- not overworked or showy- the service attentive and courteous. The space used to house Gilt, which was a hip/modern bar. The bar scene isn't the same as before, which is good news. The restaurant is perfect/ideal for a business lunch or more romantic dinner in the evening. Troubles Trust is the bar downstairs which is less formal and busier. This is a welcome addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Disappointed in Michel RichardBerdanVIPDined on 5/18/2014I have been a fan of Michel Richard's restaurants since I first went to Citrus in LA in the late 80s. I have been to his old DC restaurant several times including the chef's table twice. The background on my phone is a dessert he created. All of this heightens my disappointment with Villard. The service was glacial. I can understand service challenges in a very busy restaurant, but Villard was maybe 50% full. I suspect Villard is not long for this world.Special Features:
- Better than the Times reviewlkn4foodVIPDined on 5/18/2014I have eaten here twice. Once for lunch and once for dinner. Lunch was after they just opened. I found the service haphazard and the food uneven. The profiteroles were the highlight of the meal. Just had dinner in the bar area. The service was much more attentive. The food was very good if not transcendent. The room is of course unique.Special Features:
- Wife's BDay dinnerDES1Dined on 5/17/2014Beautiful setting...great food...a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS!!lisalep4Dined on 5/17/2014We dine at many New York restaurants and this turned out to be possibly the best! The ambiance, service, cocktails, and food were spectacular. My husband had the filet mignon, which was cooked to perfection. The cheese puff appetizer was to die for! We were originally seated in the bar area, but after a trip to the rest room found another much more intimate space. the staff happily and graciously moved us and it was so cozy and romantic!! Our server, Nosh, was solicitous without being overbearing. Love this restaurant!Special Features:
- Quiet and confusedtimmmykVIPDined on 5/17/2014Beautiful room. Sparse attendance. Confused service. Cutesy menu names. Staff seemed to completely vanish the entire room for over 20 minutes at one point. We ordered charcuterie and the 'Faux' Gras - chicken liver mousse & pate was a repeat of 2 elements of the charcuterie, which our server never mentioned until he brought gthe 2nd course to the table, then offered to switch. I ordered a beet salad in it's place and the beets were slightly undercooked. The chicken liver mousse was superb and my filet was the tastiest, most tender I can recall but a number of misses at an expensive restaurant will not require our return.Special Features:
- Not my idea of brunchRchamp43Dined on 5/11/2014Went for a birthday/ Mother's Day brunch at 12:30. Beautiful room, nice table near window but close fit. Took 15 minutes to get water. Brunch was a sumptuous dinner buffet. No breakfast items of any kind. No eggs, sausage, bacon muffins etc. we were really disappointed. About to leave when they offered eggs. We had eggs Benedict which were very good. Staff was extremely nice once they focused on us and even remembered to bring the special birthday dessert my husband had ordered. Bottom line. Pretty yes. Convenient for us as we were staying in the hotel. Go back, probably notSpecial Features:
- dinner for 8 peopleluv2dineDined on 5/10/2014Everthing was fabulous. This is the place to go with a large group who all have different dietary needs. The kids loved the burgers and mussels with fries while we enjoyed the steak, short ribs (definite must have), fish, and steak tartare (also another must have). Just loved the whole experience, next time I'll even dress a bit more casual and not feel out of place. Dress code ranged from business/elegant to dresssed up jeans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Better BurgerMartinezVIPDined on 5/8/2014We chose the VMR Bistro for lunch and ordered the burger with fries and a tuna burger with salad. Both were delicious and cooked to perfection. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Not what you would expectAllanSVIPDined on 5/7/2014The setting is simply magnificent but the food and service at lunch was not. What was supposed to be a medium rare hamburger was over cooked and the portion of short ribs, while tasty, was minuscule. At the end of the meal when my wife pointed out to the waiter that the carpet under the table was dirty with the remains of someone's breakfast, the waiter, instead of apologizing, nastily replied that they clean every morning. Really not worth it.
- notwhatexpectedDined on 5/2/2014Met Chef Richard, which was a very unexpected and pleasurable experience. French onion soup was terrific. Excellent wine list. However, the main courses left alot to be desired.
- The following 99 reviews are from the Villard Michel Richard Bistro reviews archive.
- Gorgeous, Elegant and too Perfect!peaceofcakeDined on 4/26/2014Every thing, I mean, every thing was Gorgeous, Elegant and too Perfect! And chef Michel , Thank you for a nice surprise to show up at our table. you are too charming and lovely same as your creations. My friends and I had such a wonderful dinner time with 200% satisfaction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous birthday dinnerstephVIPDined on 4/25/2014I celebrated my best friend's birthday dinner at Villard. The food was delicious, especially the avocado salmon appetizer (forgot the name). The most wonderful part of our dinner were the servers at our table. They were not only friendly and knowledgeable but also very quick and perfect with timing. The birthday cake I requested as a surprise had icecream and sponge inside, covered with chocolate. My friend kept on saying it was the best cake she had every eaten. It was a girl's night out for us, but I would recommend the restaurant for couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very strange!SylviaVIPDined on 4/24/2014Our party of 3 was ushered into the first -- beautiful -- room for lunch. The restaurant has other rooms and they weren't full. Immediately, two chefs in full garb sat down at the next table and started discussing the restaurant's business, and making and taking cell phone calls. Hello? Was there nowhere else in that entire restaurant where they could have conducted their business? Les chefs son des princes et nous, les clients, des paysans. Other than that, the waiter was very nice and the food was meh.
- Huge disappointmentCordeliaLovesFoodDined on 4/20/2014Very few choices; over cooked and over warmed; major holiday Easter disappointment. Hope they go out of business soon, so a real chef can move in.
- A Total DisappointmenttravellingshoesVIPDined on 4/16/2014I thought a restaurant bearing Michel Richard's name in the Villard Mansion would offer a "dining experience." The 2 course prix fixe lunch should at least hint at what you could expect from the a la carte menu. It was subpar, to say the least. The chopped salad appetizer was totally ordinary and tasted no different from what you would get at a diner and my branzino entree was overcooked. My companions ordered the short rib entree which came in a tiny ramekin. What looked like 1 oz of meat was covered with mashed potatoes. We were so disappointed that we passed on the $8 cups of coffee and had coffee instead at a local Starbucks! We should have read The NY Times review of this restaurant first and chosen a different place for lunch.Special Features:
- Midtown GemantiquetravlerVIPDined on 4/9/2014Everything was excellent had the prix fix salmon tartare was fabulous and the branzino was perfect. The description did say eggplant caviar not purée but I will let that go. Husband had crab cake all crab perfectly seasoned and fried chicken that was juicy and crisp. Wine list was very good and the pour was substantial. BUT the profiterole!! I won't even say just get it and eat it don't share!!! Will be back ASAPSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceNyfoodieVIPDined on 4/5/2014We had frequented Michel's restaurant in Washington and always had a great time and great food. We were so excited to see a NY opening and were thoroughly impressed. The food was wonderful and the service outstanding. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Classiest all-round hot spot in NYCTeacretteDined on 4/3/2014Want a fabulous, cozy but refined and consistently delicious place to bring your colleagues from work that is sure to impress them? Try this recently renovated gem at the NY Palace hotel. There are essentially 3 dining rooms. One is the super lux restaurant serving tasting menus operating under the high-end "Gallery" moniker. Then there are two similarly sumptuous rooms for the "Bistro." The food is superb and bc no one has really discovered this place yet (just renovated in the Fall) you can easily get last-minute reservations for large groups. Perfect for after work dinner/drinks. Excellent variety of French and Continental cuisine. Highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cadre somptueuxmatandclaireDined on 4/2/2014Le Villard bistro vaut le détour pour son décor rafiné et son service impeccable. La carte présente un large choix, a prix raisonnables. Les plats sont bons sans être excellents, c'est donc un très bon "bistrot". Tres belle carte des vins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2014The staff, the food, the place,,,,,,, all amazing. A wonderful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceCoach74VIPDined on 3/28/2014Extremely expensive with a Frittata costing $21, 2 poached eggs and toast $34, and coffee $8. However, that was expected and the food was great. What was unexpected was the poor service. Was rushed to order then the waiter didn't come back. Coffee refills were very tough to get.Special Features:
- Perfect lunchGreeksinDCDined on 3/26/2014After a hard day of travel and having to wait for our hotel room, the staff welcomed my husband and I with our 9 yr old . The restaurant is beautiful inside and the food was exceptional. Although, I would not say the restaurant is "kid friendly", I would say they were warm and appreciative of our restaurant friendly, foodie, son. We enjoyed our lunch so much that we ate a early dinner there the same night. It met and exceeded all expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive but worth it.Lud2Dined on 3/25/2014good food good service quiet and intimate. great place will go againSpecial Features:
- Great Hotel RestaurantJRamDined on 3/25/2014What a beautiful restaurant to find at a hotel. The food was very enjoyable and the experience great. The staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The PalaceWiltDined on 3/24/2014As the only restaurant in the Palace Hotel I would have expected a little more. The food was good and needless to say but I will anyway very pricey. Service was slow. Perhaps it was the kitchen that was slow but something sure was. The wait staff was friendly but average overall again for a location of this magnitude.Special Features:
- Business BreakfastjramDined on 3/23/2014We dined here for a business breakfast, the restaurant decor was fantastic and the food was quite good! Noise level was good for discussion.Special Features:
- Richard's Gem in Mid Town ManhattanJoninPhxVIPDined on 3/19/2014The Villard Michel Richard Bistro is the sister restaurant to the prix fixe Gallery restaurant in the same venue at the New York Palace Hotel. The setting is a tremendous classic Mid Town Manhattan mansion at 50th and Madison now integrated into the New York Palace Hotel. In this grand space, Michel Richard delivers his outstanding cuisine in the tradition of DC's Citronelle which closed last year because of building damage after almost 30 years of serving movers and shakers in the nation's capital. Start with the whimsical cheese puffs and end with the signature Napoleon or the spectacular Celebration Cake. In addition to the great setting and outstanding food you can also expect impeccable service from the Bistro's experienced team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely eveningrodrijr84Dined on 3/14/2014The food was good, the service was excellent and the decor was fantastic. I had the filet mignon and it was cook perfectly, tender and delicious. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I expected more.travellerVIPDined on 3/7/2014We were here for Restaurant Week.The space is amazing. Great for photos. Our table was a bit odd. It was in a nook behind their wine racks. I was pretty sure, we were going to get forgotten. Service was slow. Somewhere between 20-30 minutes after appetizers, the manager and waiter came by to apologize for the delay of our main course. They said that there was a wedding party on the other side of the room. About 5 minutes later, they came by again to apologize. Another 5 minutes and our food arrives. Dessert was another 10 minute wait. They apologized again. They do include a 15% service charge on the bill (20% for groups 6+). Food was fine. Nothing particularly interesting. Food for the unadventurous.