1355 Clairmont Rd
Decatur, GA 30033Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.villagioitaliankitchen.com/
- Phone: (404) 549-7925
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch : Mon-Fri : 11.00am 3.00 pm
Dinner: Mon-Thu: 5pm - 10pm
Fri-Sat: 5pm - 11pm
Sun: 11.00am - 3.00pm
Sun: 5pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Villagio
Villagio Italian Kitchen marries a casually sophisticated dining experience with the intimate, old world hospitality found in Italian village restaurants. Our food draws from the time honored, ingredient-driven principals of the Cucina Italiana.Our food strives to remain grounded in time honored tradition while allowing patrons to consider Italian food in a different light. The wine list encourages guests to experience the craftsmanship offered by boutique vineyards, develop a comfortable understanding of European wines, & enjoy exceptional value. The staff is dedicated to delivering highly competent service & practicing the art of hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Villagio reviews from OpenTable diners
- good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/22/2014the food is good, service is very friendly but slow and not efficient, price is reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven experience & poorly prepared foodKippDined on 11/22/2014I was looking for a moderately-priced restaurant with good reviews and selected this restaurant upon friends' recommendation. Our server did his best to accommodate us though I should've taken note when I asked him for recommendations, he suggested instead what not to order. Humm.... The wine list listed no vineyards or years, only "merlot, zinfandel" etc., and the price. We asked to see a bottle to determine the label and year. The $32 bottle of zin was sub-par. Our table of 6 had uneven meals. My pasta carbonara was nasty. Limp pasta covered with a cream sauce that was grainy testing--as though it was thickened with flour or cornstarch--and then not fully cooked. I also had huge chunks of yellow, pungent onion in it that killed the flavor of anything else. The pancetta was flavorless. I took two bites and stopped. I let the server and manager know my dish was "bad." My friends' meals were equally dismal: overcooked pasta that was soggy, as well as overcooked that was bone dry. One friend had ordered a lamb kabob (clearly heard by everyone) and the server brought lamb stew instead to him. He waited an additional 10 minutes for his meal. Oh, his lamb kabob? One would think it would be a chunk of lamb sirloin or such, but it was ground lamb, resembling a White Castle hamburger patty on a skewer. Two of them. Rubbery and tasteless. The manager came by and stated that the chef cooking that night wasn't the regular chef and apologized profusely. She gave us coupons for 10% off on our next dining outing there. I didn't bother getting one from her. Atlanta has far too many choices for moderately priced--and yet good tasting--food and restaurants.
- Disappointedlizzy8Dined on 11/6/2014My husband and I were very disappointed in the food quality at Villagio. The appetizers took awhile and tasted like they were reheated from frozen. My husband got the ribeye which was very tough, chewy, and tasteless in which he lost his appetite. Stay away from the ribeye.
- Great staff, so so foodSusieQDined on 10/23/2014Experience was lovely due to the charming staff but the food was merely OK. Well, actually the breadsticks were awful. For a meal out when you just don't want to cook and don't want to drive far (although we did), it's fine, easy on the budget. Great cuisine, it's not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimballngaKimballngaDined on 10/16/2014This resturant was just average, you can hear the kitchen conversation from resturant. There are better places to eat in Decatur give those a try first.Special Features:
- Just Not Goodterryg128Dined on 9/30/2014This review is for the Groupon special. I read other reviews and really wanted to like this place. But I just can't. The Groupon deal is hard to beat-3 course meal with wines for TWO for $49. The appetizer, specifically the polenta, was not good at all, though the salmon wasn't bad. The steak I had with the main course was AWFUL (tough, lots of fat). The au gratin potatoes were greasy and tasteless. My wife had the pork tenderloin and it was decent. The dessert was okay but a bit small. Our server was a sweetheart and did the best she could but I think she was just overworked. As a result everything was slow. Wines came after meals were served, and the whole experience was LONG. So yeah... nice looking place but I don't think we'll be back.
- A Little Sax with DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2014Tried one on their matched dinners (Groupon). Scallop appetizer and tiamasu/Tia Marie dessert were tasty. Bacon rapped pork tenderloin needs work (not a very memorable cut of meat). But what we really enjoyed was the musician playing the Saxophone accompanied by recorded background music.Special Features:
- FrozenDined on 9/10/2014The food was all frozen and reheated and covered in sauce.
- DisapointedTarbyVIPDined on 8/28/2014Bought the three course Groupon. Very disappointed in food prep. Ribeye was way over cooked as was the salmon. Brought it to waiter's attention and he said with such small pieces it was difficult to cook. Polenta was good. Will probably return, but for pizza only.
- Victuals at Villagiogomo2VIPDined on 8/24/2014This aesthetically pleasing eatery has all the standard items on the menu. Service was fast and very good. The picatta was good and the atmosphere very pleasing. A good place to dine .......Special Features:
- Needs some workBPdinerDined on 8/23/2014At the entry, there was water on the floor form the condensation from the air conditioning. Server was kind, not attentive. Nothing was special. Rice on kebobs was over heated, or cooked long ago. Vegetable alfredo was a runny sauce. Cannoli was chocolate goo. - But viewing other patron/waiter interactions, everyone was having problems with service and food. They will have work much harder to do to keep up with the other establishments in this restaurant strip. Not planning a return.
- our first visitjws3378VIPDined on 8/2/2014Though it was our first visit and we had a discount coupon from Restaurant.com, three of the four at our table had different entrees and all were very pleased with their respective selection. The two servers were very attentive without 'hovering'. We will return, and choose other items from the many on the menu.Special Features:
- pleasant patio diningTarbyVIPDined on 7/23/2014Salad with fresh grilled chicken and a pizza made a complete meal. Patio dining was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- docj1sDined on 7/19/2014Get the butternut squash ravioli. I added shrimp to the dish.Special Features:
- DonnaSueVIPDined on 7/11/2014I looked this place up online before going. They must have used pictures from another restaurant. Not much to say about the taste either. No need to go back.
- New menu much betterBubbie1VIPDined on 7/5/2014Hadn't been there in a while, but it was geographically convenient for both couples. Seems like it had also been renovated. Looks very nice. I loved my eggplant dish and my husband enjoyed his pasta with veggies. Friend got salmon over risotto, which she thought was WAY too much risotto!! I wasn't too thrilled with Caesar salad: croutons unedible and shaved cheese slices not as good as in other salads. Coupons were given for return visits, and we will go again.
- DisappointingMbethwDined on 7/3/2014Was happy to have a new Italian restaurant in that spot but was so disappointed with the food. Ordered eggplant Parmesan and it was so tough, I could not even cut into it without a knife. My companions pasta entree was cold and gummy. Our server offered to bring me something else so I ordered the lasagna. It came cold with the mozzarella cheese not even melted on top. I am not very high maintenance but it was all very bad. On a positive note, our server, German was very nice, attentive, and apologetic. I hope for the restaurants sake, it was just a bad night or a temporary cook, but I don't plan to go back.
- Oasis in DecaturJoep63VIPDined on 5/22/2014We had a 5:30 reservation with our two grandchildren as we were visiting them in Decatur to give mom a break for a few days. We our flight was very late and we didn't even get to town till after 8:30 and not expecting to find it serving at that time we were looking for anything. We drove right by it and found it was open and very welcoming. We had a great meal and enjoyed it especially after a long day of travel.Special Features:
- Needs WorkTarbyVIPDined on 5/17/2014Food OK and different. Service very poor, waiter forgot our salad and wifi not working. May try again to see if service improvesSpecial Features:
- Very PleasedTarbyVIPDined on 4/18/2014Service was excellent, had the lamb with mushroom risotto and it was excellent. Will returnSpecial Features:
- understaffedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/12/2014The waitpeople were working very hard; but there apparently weren't enough of them, as the service was pretty slow (tho that hasn't been true on other visits).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was just okBirdygirl1007Dined on 4/12/2014I ordered the Chicken Marsala and there was no Marsala to be found...it said it was served with angel hair but it was a huge heap of lunguini a few pieces of chicken and not many mushrooms and no real hint of Marsala. This dish should be called Luinguini with Chicken. My husband ordered the lamb shank but they were out- he ordered spaghetti & meatballs instead and seemed ok with it.
- Nice Place - Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2014Very nice people and good food at reasonable prices. We had some friends in town and needed a quick reservation late on a Saturday Night.... all our 'go to' places were booked for the time slot we wanted, so we tried something new. This place was great, busy night (which made it look like we had reservations well in advance) and our guests from out of town raved about the place. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and atmosphere wereOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/12/2014The food and atmosphere were both excellent! I was initially covercharged (more than double) on a glass of wine, but my request for a correction was honored without any problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but service problemsPCF38Dined on 3/3/2014The food was great, but we didn't receive our salad, were offered bread towards the end of our meal, were given complimentary but cold fresh-baked cookies, and came home with someone else's leftovers. Yesterday around noon, I sent a polite email to the restaurant about the experience, thinking it might be constructive for management, but I have not received a response (roughly 25 hours later). The servers were friendly, but we're unsure whether we'll return given our experience. We loved Capozzi's, the Italian restaurant that previously occupied the space, and we hope our experience was an anomaly, because we enjoyed our entrees and would like Villagio to fill the void left by Capozzi's closing.
- Eggplant ParmDecaturDDined on 2/28/2014One of the best eggplant parmesan dishes I've had in years, huge serving too! Also had an app that came with fried kale, surprisingly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Made The Most Of ItAmusedValentineDined on 2/14/2014Interesting is an understatement for our experience at Villagio on Valentine's Day. We made reservations for 8:30, but waited about 20 minutes behind 4 other couples. When the host finally called our name, and we said "that's us"; he responded "no, it isn't"...AWKWARD! The night got even more awkward when a live "singer" started his act. His guitar skills were pretty good, but his vocals weren't and he kept going off key. Some diners were so turned off they left before ordering their meals. OUCH. Also...3 of our 4 courses came at once. We made the best of it, and actually had a pretty good time people watching and joking around, but the food was sub par and the overall experience was pretty bad. We probably won't return.
- Mediocre food*EastAtlantaEaterDined on 2/14/2014*We went on valentines day so the menu was prixe fixe. The calamari appetizer was bland, but the bruschetta was better. The salad came out after our dinner (service was very hectic - our server seemed overwhelmed) and was fair. I ordered the steak which was half medium-rare and half well-done, not too happy there. We also had the eggplant parmesan which was good, but again, nothing to write home about. We may try it again when the normal menu is available and they are perhaps less busy, but we were not impressed with this first visit.
- OutstandingMrsCrawfordDined on 2/14/2014The resturant and the staff was awesome. The host even gave out long stem roses to the ladies that came for Valentines. There was a live musician playing the guitar with a nice selection if music played.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Promising BeginningGordonFVIPDined on 1/23/2014New restaurant in the Clairmont area that has just recently begun to serve lunch. Three of us visited after having read a review in the AJC. The featured menu item (salmon on pasta with sun dried tomatoes) was ordered and was quite good. Another ordered the lasagna and rated it fair. I had the baked penne with Italian sausage and it was delicious. Salads were fresh, soup was hot and tasty . All servings were quite ample. Restaurant well worth a try and I predict it will be successful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family DinnerAmandaDined on 1/11/2014Great Service. Good Food. What more could you ask for? We had been in one time before and they remembered us. They were very Friendly. The bartender was great so I was happen to find out he was also out server. He made an excellent wine choice for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedJenADined on 12/31/2013I have been looking for a good moderately priced Italian restaurant in Decatur for a while, so I was very hopeful when Villagio opened. However, I wasn't impressed. We went for New Year's Eve, so the menu was pre-fixe and therefore I can't say how their general menu is, but what we had on the pre-fixe menu wasn't great. The rolls seemed semi-stale and cold. Salad was not included (which isn't always the case in Italian restaurants, but always a plus). The entrees weren't terrible, but also not memorable. I had the chicken piccata and my husband had the spicy shrimp pasta. The desserts were the best part of the meal, but desserts alone won't draw me back to Villagio.
- Elvis nightJandRDined on 12/13/2013We went on their "Tribute to young Elvis night". The impersonator / singer was a lot of fun as was dancing to the music! We had the shrimp special and their signature lamb dish - both were excellent and ample portions. The cannoli was OK but not traditional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an Elvis Presley impersonatorJimFDined on 12/13/2013was not only terrible but incomprehensibly loud..came and sat at diners' tables uninvited. Not appropriate for a dining experience. Restaurant is not a night club. Out of one wine I ordered yet was charged the price of this wine for the one available which was $2 a glass cheaper. Next table was also told restaurant was out of various things. Guest made joke about how the situation sounded like a Monty Python sketch....."Well, what cheeses DO you have?" Second time I was there. Won't be back.
- 1st time since under new managementBubbie1VIPDined on 11/23/2013Friend & I shared the "tapas" plate, which was more than ample and very delicious... Especially the braised greens. Waitress was very good (and pretty).Special Features:
- DisappointingJTATLVIPDined on 11/22/2013Villagio took over Cappozzi's space. They should have kept the old menu. Villagio's menu was severely limited in scope and sadly uninspired. There were a couple of bright spots: The linguini with fungi was really good as was the side of goat cheese polenta. However, the pizza was terrible. It was served warm, not hot. The crust, grilled on both sides (?!?!?), had the texture of grocery store frozen pizza and the sauce was bland. The wine list was supposed to be an exploration of European wines, but again was sorely lacking in depth or interest. The server also didn't know much about the wines on the list either. They need to get their act together quickly or they won't last. Can we have Cappozzi's back, please??
- First Visit to a New ResturantAlibiDined on 11/16/2013The food was excellent; traditional Northern Italian dishes served in large bowls. I had a scallop dish with large noodles and my wife had lamb ragu, both of which were very tasty. Service was attentive, but a little slow The grilled salmon appetizer with a heavy sauce was a nice touch. The martini with fruit juice jarred my traditional concept but was a worthwhile experiment. The main dinning room is not handicapped accessible. My wheelchair bound wife was graciously carried down and up a short flight of stairs to the main dining room. There is a deck that can be reached in a wheelchair. So, my next visit will not occur until spring when the weather permits outside dinning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable eveningPeteVIPDined on 11/16/2013Great neighborhood gem. Staff was wonderful. Food very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going to Give Them a Second Chance.ShawnWVIPDined on 11/16/2013We went to this restaurant the first week since their re-opening under new owners. The menu is interesting and isn't just another Italian restaurant. We had their version of a Caprese and it was good (not great). We both ordered the Beet salad which was exceptional. Great flavor and color. But the entrees were a big disappointment. The staff handled this really well and we'll give them another chance in a couple of weeks once they fix some of the issues. I'd give them a chance.