Village Inn & Restaurant
20822 River Boulevard
Monte Rio, CA 95462Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Village Inn & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.villageinn-ca.com/
- Phone: 7078652304x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Wednesday through Sunday. Bar from 3PM; dinner service starts at 5PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Oliver
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: With prior arrangement, owner Mark Belhumeur will be pleased to coordinate your perfect event.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties for all occasions are welcome. Gatherings from 2 to 80 are possible in a variety of indoor and outdoor locations for daytime and evening private and semi-private functions.
- Private Party Contact: Mark Belhumeur 7078652304x
- Special Events: The Village Inn & Restaurant is perfect for reunions, weddings, retreats, meetings, presentations, social and business gatherings of all types. We have private and semi-private dining areas to accommodate groups of 6 to 40.
- Cross Street: Bohemian Highway
- Public Transit: Sonoma County Transit bus 20 is convenient, as is Bill's Taxi at (707) 869-2177
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Convenient, complimentary parking is plentiful in our private lot. Complimentary limousine, bus, RV and motorcycle parking is available as well.
A word from Village Inn & Restaurant
The Village Inn & Restaurant is located on the Russian River, with its spectacular views and majestic redwoods. It's the perfect spot for drinks and dinner. We feature Sonoma Wine Country cuisine serving local meats, environmentally safe and sustainable seafood, hand-rolled pastas, fowl and vegetarian dishes, variety of salads and small plates and homemade desserts in a relaxed, casual atmosphere. We have a full bar with a premium well and a multi-award-winning wine list consisting exclusively of Sonoma County vintners or vines There are three distinct dining areas to enjoy: Our seasonal deck overlooking the River is the perfect place for an al fresco meal or drinks. Hampton's Riverside Bar is charming and intimate with extensive art, a fireplace and lots of windows to enjoy the views and the Dining Room, reminiscent of a trans-continental rail dining car which offers the same spectacular views. A favorite return spot for local residents and visitors alike!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Village Inn & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Monte Rio ›
Village Inn & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (22)scenic view (22)great for outdoor dining (19)special occasion (19)fit for foodies (14)neighborhood gem (12)notable wine list (7)good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- The Villaage Inn 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Excellent service, delicious food and wine along with ambiance that made you feel cozy and special. Also a lovely view of the Russian River and surrounding redwoods. I will certainly return.Special Features:
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/5/2014Amazing food! Amazing service! Did I mention amazing food?!!! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stayed till way past our bedtimeLindahy5Dined on 9/13/2014After a fabulous dinner - love the padrone peppers, we had an after dinner drink in the bar. Had a fabulous time talking with friends and the great bartender/owner. Interesting conversations. Love this place and the view. We ate outside even it was a little chilly. It's always so beautiful and peaceful on the deck.Special Features:
- very good but not specialchgofoodieDined on 8/28/2014A friend recommended Village Inn to us so we were excited to see where the movie Holiday Inn was filmed and experience a lovely meal. We were seated on the terrace with a picturesque view of the Russian River and the setting sun. Wait staff was friendly but not attentive throughout the whole meal. We were not served the trade mark pickles or bread basket until we read about them on the menu and requested them. Seared Ahi-Tuna appetizer was ah-mazing! Salmon dinner was blah as was wine accompaniment. Pricey for not being memorable. Even though we were disappointed, would go back again to see if it was just an off night.Special Features:
- Friendly staff, underwhelming fooddutchVIPDined on 8/20/2014This is on a lovely spot on the river, with nice views, friendly staff and a cozy atmosphere, but we found the food to be under-seasoned and lacking in flavor. A lamb pasta dish that was said to have been slow-cooked, had no depth at all, or any taste other than the lamb itself.Special Features:
- Another great dinnerBibliopolVIPDined on 8/16/2014It doesn't happen very much but our second dinner at Village Inn was just as great as our first visit. The setting is lovely, the staff are so, so friendly yet professional and the food was great. Cozy bar for drinks, great outdoor space if the weather cooperates.Special Features:
- Another Great EveningsmjimDined on 8/16/2014Scenic river views, great wine selection, friendly and attentive wait staff, and an amazing menu make this a Russian River Destination. As always mark and his staff deliver an enjoyable evening out.Special Features:
- Great for romance and good foodGemineyeSFDined on 8/15/2014We arrived for my husband's birthday and we were provided a nice cozy corner table that had already been decorated with subtle little birthday things that, while minimal, really made the experience feel personalized and very comfortable. We deliberated between getting a zin from Coppola or something from Rodney Strong but the server suggested the Wild Hog, a local pinot which was amazing (and nicely spicy). We ordered the tenderloin (nicely flavorful but a little on the dry side for my taste) and the special risotto that came with tuna steak (this meal was truly outstanding). The portions were huge (we typically clean the plate but had to ask for a doggie bag). Total cost including the bottle of wine and drinks was extremely reasonable.Special Features:
- Elegance and comfort and taste.NickVIPDined on 8/9/2014I always enjoy my meal at Village Inn. The food is not fussy, but it's delicious, with good presentation and interesting sauces. I usually have the fresh fish of the day and my friend almost always has the steak. Entrees include soup or salad. This is a classic white-tablecloth restaurant with views of the river.Special Features:
- Excellent Experience!JCL2Dined on 8/3/2014This is a great restaurant with a limited but outstanding menu. The view cannot be beat and the staff is very friendly. They were busier than usual the night I went so service was a little slow, but this was still an amazing experience which I would highly recommend!Special Features:
- awesomeMcBeachVIPDined on 8/1/2014Awesome find in the Russian River region. Stunning view mixed with fresh local menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/25/2014I recently stayed at the Village Inn for its proximity to the Vineman triathlon race start. We decided to eat at their restaurant Friday night and while the food was pretty good (A-), the service was quite poor (C-). For the price, the experience definitely fell short.
- I loved itSusieqDined on 7/19/2014Great food . Old school Russian River locale with fun wait staff and beautiful view of the river. Had the special which was pasta with lamb meat sauce. Try the potatoes fondue. Will make it a regular on next trip to SonomaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Neighborhood RestaurantoceangirlDined on 7/11/2014This is our third time dining here. We live about a mile from here and we just love eating here. The food is delicious which VERY generous portions served. Everyone is very friendly and the view overlooking the Russian River is fantastic. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful way to spend an eveningups2011VIPDined on 7/9/2014The Village Inn is an absolute gem. The duck confit tostadas were excellent as was the flatiron steak. The special risotto of the day was with fava beans and lamb tenderloin and was just delicious. The zeppole's for dessert were heaven! Jacqueline's professional service completed a perfect meal along the Russian River!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved our dinner at the village innsomadivaDined on 7/6/2014we had a wonderful, relaxing, and delicious dinner at the village inn mark, the owner, could not have been more gracious the setting was charming, homey, and world class our meal and service were both outstanding totally worth a repeat visit which we plan on!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 134 reviews are from the Village Inn & Restaurant reviews archive.
- Lovely VenueocularoneDined on 6/8/2014A hidden hideaway...not to be missed! Great food.....beautiful overlook of the Russian River!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014Excellent meal, attentive service. Lovely setting by the river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just OKhungryBoy12Dined on 5/25/2014I really wanted to like this place, but it was just OK. We would not return.Special Features:
- History, scenery, and gourmet fooddoghairnancyDined on 5/23/2014Village Inn has it all. Perched above the Russian River, with endless decks for dining and sipping, Village Inn is the perfect place for a quiet evening. The food is always delicious, the wait staff lovely and accommodating, and the ambience unmatchable. A real delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience!oceangirlDined on 5/21/2014We loved every moment here. This was a special birthday dinner and the staff reserved us a lovely table overlooking the russian River with Happy Birthday written on the paper table cover. The wine was delicious, the food outstanding and lots of it! They brought us a complimentary dessert for our birthday. Will return again & again!!Special Features:
- excellent service by waitressZauveDined on 5/16/2014Village Inn is very charming. It is also located in a cellular (ATT) deadspot, so when our daughter did not arrive to meet us for dinner, we were very worried. She was over an hour late, we were unable to reach her. The waitress graciously let us use her personal cell phone to locate our daughter. She also boxed our food and arranged for a to-go dessert order so that we could provide a dinner for our daughter when we finally met her later.Special Features:
- Mothers DaycruzindogDined on 5/11/2014Nice building and restaurant setting. Greeting was nice. Service was extremely slow and restaurant was not busy. Terrible bloody mary cocktail. Basket of bread was weak. They were already out of the French toast which was recommended for children and had only been serving for 2 hours. The balance of the food was just ok. Kobe beef burger that was from a frozen patty. Fries were homemade and good. Mommy's meal was supposed to have a horseradish sauce that never made it to the plate. She said her meal was fine other than that. She was being polite. Did not get a water glass refill until we had finished lunch. Desert was supposed to be Meyer Lemon cheesecake, came out as plain cheesecake with a berry drizzle on top. No thank you or goodbye.Special Features:
- Sweet Mother's Day BrunchPaulie2Dined on 5/11/2014Got a great outside table overlooking the Russian River. The weather, beautiful views, and very comfortable seating set the stage. Service was good, although a little slow, which was alright with us. Menu was creative, and well executed. Overall, a really nice experience!Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerBibliopolVIPDined on 5/2/2014The new Chef here is amazing. The steak was great and the Russian River locale is scenic. It was well suited for a romantic dinner. The service was friendly and efficient and the bar charming. Very pretty artwork. We will definitely be back for dinner as we are adding the Village Inn to our list of regular restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific dining experienceStephenDined on 4/26/2014Warm welcome from the owner, who added some thing special for our anniversary on the table as well as a complimentary desert. Service was great. My partner greatly enjoyed his steak. Wonderful view of the River and Bridge from our table. Overall, a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 4/19/2014A great get away restaurant. My wife and I celebrated Easter and our anniversary this year with an overnight stay which included have a great dinner and Easter brunch at the Village Inn. Every thing from the room to the bar and the restaurant is highly recommended.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal on the deck!GinaDined on 4/6/2014We recently met friends for a dinner at Village Inn and took advantage of the great weather to eat outside on the deck, overlooking the river. It was wonderful! The food was great (try the tuna appetizer) the wine list generous, the service excellent and the view was beautiful. I highly recommend Village Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary DestinationRossgDined on 4/4/2014My wife and I celebrated our 33rd anniversary and chose The Village Inn for our special dinner. We've eaten here a handful of times previously and have never walked away with anything but good things to say about it. Tonight was extra special because it was still light enough outside that we could enjoy the view of the Russian River through the window at our table. The view was perfect and only got better as the sun began to set over the hills. The VI is a perfect place for a romantic dinner. The service was good and friendly, the food was presented beautifully and tasted as good as it looked. I highly recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful spot! Good foodDoglovindinerDined on 3/15/2014We decided to try this place for Sonoma County Restaurant week. They were very busy so the service was a little slow. Overall the food was pretty good. Their fried calamari was very fresh. The entrees were good, a vegetarian potato/mushroom "lasagne" but would have been better with some kind of sauce. Two people had the steak entree which was good but nothing really special. I'd like to return on a nice warm summer evening, sitcom the patio and try something off the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overlooking the riverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014At 6:30 P.M. the sun is setting through the redwoods. A glass of champagne and clam chowder is the only thing you could ask for. The beet salad with the cheese flan was different and tasty. The ravioli stuffed with duck was a very small serving but what wa there was delicious. I had a prime rib that was under seasoned but came with a potato cake that was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monte Rio marvelSonoranVisitorDined on 3/14/2014The Village Inn and Restaurant is perfect for that out-of the way dining you crave once in a while. Under the redwoods with a few of the river!! Quaint old style. Wonderful food and service. We recently visited during Sonoma County restaurant week. We had a fine meal with luscious wine pairings.Very enjoyable atmosphere. The mushroom potato "lasagne" was delicious as was the Rhode Island style clam chowder!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inn by the RiverlakegerardDined on 3/14/2014A wonderful "find" off the main road-what a treasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Village Inn is a bucolic hidden gemdoghairnancyDined on 3/13/2014Tucked away in tiny Monte Rio and perched above the Russian River, VI is the height of intimate charm. Three friends joined me for dinner during Restaurant Week. The three course special prix fixe offered plenty of delicious choices. I had a potato/wild mushroom 'lasagna' that was one of the most memorable dishes I"ve eaten. The soup and desserts were also delicious, as was the wine. But the real draw here is the picturesque, unpretentious, old world charm and caring service. All four of us agreed that this was one of the loveliest, most unpretentious dining experiences we've had. P.S. I understand that the lovely riverfront patio is open on weekends for drinks….and possibly meals. Nothing like it!Special Features:
- Beautiful Setting and Great FoodBarbandTomDined on 3/12/2014We started with the Duck Confit Tostadas. They brought out a colorful dish, the duck was tender and perfectly complemented the strawberry mole sauce. Our entrees consisted of a very well cooked NY strip and the handmade pasta of the day was pappardelle with slow braised pork tenderloin. Kind of bland, but adequate. For dessert we tried the Lemon Meyer Cheesecake which was very rich and possibly the best cheesecake I've ever tasted. We also had their White Chocolate Strawberry Turnover which was amazingly tart and sweet. Would highly recommend this restaurant. As a side note, the Russian River 2012 Pinot Noir was light, subtle and sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful!MarjieDined on 2/13/2014We were not expecting much from such a small town, but omg, great food, great service! Would definitely go back. The waiter was such a polite young man and did not hover - he was the perfect waiter! Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureSyrahDined on 2/5/2014Mark and his crew are always warm and inviting. Food with new chef is fantastic. Nothing like sitting by a roaring fire on a rainy night with good food, wine and friends. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectdfogDined on 1/16/2014If you can make an opportunity to dine here, you must do so. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful new menu!meganperkinsDined on 1/11/2014Congrats to the new chef and folks at Village Inn! The new menu is delightful! We left completely satisfied and look forward to trying more of the new entrees and appetizers. An added treat was the all Sonoma County wine selection! Thank you Mark and Cathy for keeping us locals well fed, year after year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A totally unique dininig experiencebobmidDined on 11/29/2013The restaurant and guest rooms are top notch. The Village Inn was built in 1905, and was the set for the movie Holiday Inn, staring Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. The song, White Christmas, was introduced in that movie. It's always a treat to walk on to the property that includes meticulously maintained gardens that overlook the Russian River. Head for the restaurant for the very best in atmosphere and dining. The food is to die for, the service is great, and the wine list is extensive. My best advice is that you try it for yourselves. You won't regret it. It's a totally unuique experience, and is very affordable. This is one to write home about!Special Features: