Villa Maria - Calgary
121 17th Ave SE
Calgary, AB T2G 1H3Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Villa Maria - Calgary
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.villamariaristorante.com/
- Phone: (403) 228-5556
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 Am - 2:00 Pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00 Pm - 9:00 Pm, Saturday: 5:30 Pm - 10:00 Pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Maria Caria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: you can book the entire restaraunt to yourself.
A word from Villa Maria - Calgary
Villa Maria is a family owned and operated business.Continued
Great quality fresh food, and ambience. join us for lunch of dinner
Great quality fresh food, and ambience. join us for lunch of dinner
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Villa Maria - Calgary reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
romantic (5)special occasion (5)good for groups (4)fit for foodies (3)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- NipperDined on 11/20/2014Villa Maria was very convenient for a meal prior to a 7PM hockey game. Also it was a benefit to have parking during the game. The restaurant was very pleasant and the service was good. Overall the food was good with the exception of the calamari which was uncharacteristically chewy. I would certainly recommend Villa Maria to someone else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Bit RushedItalian4LifeDined on 11/14/2014I found the waiters to be a bit rushed and gave us the feeling that we had to hurry up....food came up fast and we were out and to our destination sooner than we thought which was good but it would be nicer if wait staff would be a little slower and calmer when they get to the table - I understand it can be frenetic from kitchen to table...but make us feel like the experience is enjoyable. The food was good; my wife loved the ravioli and the vitello was great. Food had authentic taste which is rare these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to the Dome, but not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014I'm not one for writing reviews, and I get that it's someone's business, but that being said, you're still required to put in a basic level of effort. We chose this place due to its proximity to the Saddledome. We sat for probably ten minutes before having to ask to see a menu. The menu offered is not the same one on Open Table; it was the simplest menu you could imagine. We inquired as to whether or not the Carbonara was available, and were told it's "whatever's on the sheet". The chicken fettuccini alfredo was obviously made in a big old vat - the pasta was limp with little cubes of chicken - the portion size was smallish. If you're looking for a date place, this isn't it. If you're looking for just something, than I suppose so.
- A pleasant surpriseLisaVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had driven by Villa Maria many times and finally decided to try it on the weekend. The food and service were great. There were some nice specials and a good selection of items on the regular menu. They serve a complimentary piece of bruscetta to start and that is a very nice touch. There is plenty of parking in the back. We will definitely be back.
- Poor food and rushed serviceFoodandwineDined on 9/19/2014The proximity of this restaurant to the Saddledome helped us choose this restaurant before a recent concert. The waiter rushed us, and our party felt he was rude at times. The menu choices were very limited. The food ordered was sub par.. Opening a can of Catelli and pouring it over noodles would have competed with what we were presented with. In the future, we will drive a few more blocks, for a more enjoyable restaurant experience.
- DisappointmentMusicallyDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I were looking forward to trying a new Italian restaurant. We found the food of poor quality. I sent the cheese appetizer back as it was supposed to be deep fried ...it was cold in the center. They gave the same portion back slight warmer with more sauce. The rest of our dinner didn't match the price we paid.
- Romantic nightTeafortwoDined on 8/30/2014Resteraunt is very nice. Service is outstanding. They offer great suggestions, never rush you. Food was excellant. I would go back againSpecial Features:
- Classic and enjoyable atmosphere!DeliciousDined on 8/20/2014I enjoy this classic Italian Restaurant with perfect service accompanied by great sense of humor. Maria prepares a delicious meal, nice size portions and the bread was amazing. Nice fresh salad! Love to be able to have a nice conversation without yelling at each other. Beautiful Art work make this dining room classy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 113 reviews are from the Villa Maria - Calgary reviews archive.
- Definitely returninggoing2gobackDined on 7/23/2014My daughter and I so enjoyed our evening with Villa Maria. It was our first time there. We had an early dinner before going to the theatre. The food was exceptional and the staff very pleasant, very attentive. It had a familiar atmosphere. They greeted the other guests by name, even the children, so it was apparent they were people who came to the restaurant often. They have a huge parking lot behind the restaurant so you never have to worry about getting a place to park. I will definitely be making a reservation for myself and my husband soon. Lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal - great Italian in yycAmmacdonDined on 7/19/2014The food was as good, very tasty & some of the best Italian I have had in Calgary. The Bruschetta starter was delicious and fresh. The Shrimp in lemon butter sauce were cooked perfectly and delicious. All pasta dishes were really delicious. My only disappointment was that the calamari in Read Sauce (not the Fritti) was very very chewy. I managed to peal off a membrane on them and was able to eat some but I had expected perfectly cooked calamari at a place like this- not sure if that is something that is supposed to be removed before serving or not? The staff were good and the owner was friendly and welcoming. Would certainly recommend and hope to go back soon.Special Features:
- Friendly Atmosphere, Great FoodDHMsopinionVIPDined on 7/17/2014Great, overlooked gem of a restaurant. The service was friendly and attentive. The food was tasty, reasonably portioned, and well prepared. The house red was also very nice. I would recommend this place either for family and friends or for a business meal. It was very quiet the night we were there which is a shame given what a gem of a restaurant this is.Special Features:
- Villa Maria Excels!ElaineDined on 7/10/2014During Stampede Week, we entertained suppliers for a corporate recognition event and were delighted with the excellent food and fabulous service we received at Villa Maria. And talk about "Location, Location, Location"! We were able to just walk over to Stampede Park for the rodeo and had no complications arranging transportation. Molte Grazie, Villa Maria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Italian experienceLuv2eatDined on 7/8/2014From the moment we walked in (an office party of 9) we were greeted and treated with the best service! This is a family owned and operated restaurant and Maria really knows how to cook. All nine of us finished our plates clean and we are planning our next lunch back there. The food was divine.Special Features:
- Family/Anniversary dinner for 4DarkKnightDined on 7/7/2014It was a quiet Monday night. Nicer look inside than from the street. Salads were very good. My daughter says that was one of the best Caprese salads she's ever had. My wife had the lobster ravioli and said it was OK. The deep fried calamari were good but needed a sauce or something as alone they were too dry. I wanted the lasagna but there was none left. Had the Cannelloni instead, and it was delicious. We shared a creme brule for dessert but the sugar crust was visibly burnt black and tasted as such...not enjoyable. Should not have served it that way. Service was adequate. Overall a bit pricey for level of food and service.
- Wonderful Italian seafood and vealBrianDined on 7/7/2014We took clients to this restaurant twice during Stampede, and were very pleased with our choice. Ordered calamari, mussels and scampi for appetizers, and all were fantastic. The main courses of chicken or veal were also great. Service was excellent - friendly and humorous, as well as efficient. Interior is newly renovated and very classy. Location is excellent for Stampede activities.Special Features:
- memorableoutingsVIPDined on 6/11/2014We have been to Villa Maria on several occasions and always enjoyed the very personal service. Wonderful Italian food. Danny is great fun, ensuring a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining Excellence!PickyEaterDined on 6/11/2014Villa Maria is a gem. The interior is beautiful, the service is exceptional, and the food is amazing. Our group of 4 was extremely pleased with our dining experience. It wasn't only just a delicious meal but a wonderful evening and experience. We will be back every time we are in Calgary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding.. take your time, enjoyAndrewVIPDined on 6/10/2014Have been several times and Villa Maria never disappoints. The food, service, and ambiance are all fantastic. A hidden gem in the city. Plan a party or event and let them choose the courses...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice CharmSAS71Dined on 6/10/2014Great food delivered quickly through great service. Very quiet during our visit. I think this is one of the top 5 caesar salads I've had anywhere. Nice interior and unsuspectingly nice insideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gemVictorPDined on 5/23/2014For my starter, I had minestrone. I ordered the featured lunch special, scampi in paprika sauce. Both my soup and the entree were delicious, flavourful, and not overly salty. Service was efficient and attentive without being overbearing. Enjoyed my lunch. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2014I was very disappointed with this restaurant right from the get go. Having gone early, there had been only one other table at the restaurant, yet it took a staggering 20 minutes to get the food menu and then another 20 minutes for our order to be taken. Furthermore, I thought I would play it safe and order the Spaghetti Carbonara. However, black pepper had been added to the dish before it had left the kitchen and unfortunately the flavor had overwhelmed the entire dish. The overall taste of it was really only mediocre. There are plenty of other places in Calgary that serve better tasting Carbonara at half the price that Villa Maria charges. Pricier menus does not always suggest better quality foods.
- Villa MariaNikiDined on 5/10/2014The food was awesome and the service was always on the ball. I would come here again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Villa Maria is remarkableTemptingVIPDined on 5/9/2014We are so pleased to see this wonderful Italian restaurant survived last year's flood. Again we had a great meal and evening and can't wait to return again soon. The food was very good and the staff and owner actually take the time to speak with you, not just take your order and run off like so many restaurant's these days. It was better than we had anticipated and a terrific end to a very busy and hectic week. They just treat you so well and so special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, again!WukiesDined on 5/2/2014It was a slow, snowy night when we are there. The scampies were excellent. There meat sauce is very tasty and the tiramisu has great flavour. Danny and his wife make excellent hosts and cooks. Always a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014No request too small or difficult for the staff - brought out a whipped cream spray can for my coffee upon request, heated up last portion of dinner that became cold. The list goes on. Attentive but not intruding. I'll be back :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, friendly serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/23/2014We love the food at Villa Maria. The appetizers are great, the pasta is fresh and delicious. My husband thinks the chicken parmigiana is one of the best in the city. We also love the friendly service. The owner, Danny, makes us feel right at home every time we go in, and he makes sure that we are well taken care of. One of our favourite restaurants in Calgary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delight! Food, serviceNewresidentVIPDined on 4/3/2014Always a delight! Food, service and atmosphere are all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take a bow Villa MariaGrampyDined on 3/27/2014Excellent service, excellent food and the wine was pretty good as well. Return trips will be planned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice evening outItaly68Dined on 3/21/2014Service and restaurant atmosphere was excellent!! One thing I found dissapointing was the portion size. The menu on line on open table does not include prices. The lobster ravioli entree serves 5 ravioli on your plate, one ravioli costs $5. Definitely not the portions nonna serves. They offered fresh black pepper but NOT cheese for on top of my pasta. Food taste was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visit was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014We were very pleased with our visit to Villa Maria. A very nice dining experience. Service was very good and we will go back for sure. Happy to support a small local restaurant impacted by the floods. It was evident by the interaction between some customers and waiters, that many people are regulars at this restaurant. Always a good sign.Special Features:
- Really none of the above categoriesrammerVIPDined on 1/25/2014Really none of the above categories fit. The food was excellent as was the service but the decor and ambience are dated and lack interest.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Villa Maria - back from the flood.MacktheKnifeDined on 1/18/2014We made a last minute decision to take a group of 5 adults and 3 kids out for dinner last Saturday night and while Villa Maria was not our first choice, it turned out to be a good one. The wait staff were funny, incredibly energetic and really good with the kids however forgot a couple of drink orders. They were able to accommodate a big group without making it feel like an imposition or with cramped quarters. Considering they just recently reopened after last June's flood, they did a terrific job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Flames DiningMerrDined on 12/31/2013Was surprised to be handed a very limited Flames menu - as this is how the restaurant ensures all diners make the puck drop. The list was a bit too limited - one soup, 2 salads, 2 or 3 appetizers (had the shrimp which was delicious - sausage was one of the choices), 3 pastas (gnocchi, ravioli and cannelloni) and 3 mains (chicken, salmon, veal with seafood). My companion had the lobster ravioli - four on a plate with nothing else - and I have the cannelloni - 2 mushy tubes on a plate with nothing else. Both were fine but not very exciting. Service was slow. Would go back to try the main menu on a non-game night as the ambiance was very nice and the food we had was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timersJabberDined on 12/31/2013Enjoyed our evening, friendly staff, good food and ambiance, just found that it was a bit pricey. Everything was a la carte, e.g. salad and/or soup not included in price of main course. Bottle of Wine was delicious but expensive. Intend on dining there again in future. I would recommend to friends to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved this great ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/16/2013We loved this great Italian restaurant before the flood, and we are so happy that they are back up and running. Same great food, same great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2013We decided to celebrate Father's Day, the day before this year, which was a Sat. When we arrived at 6pm & there were no other customers. So we had the place to ourselves, we we wondering if this gem of a place had a very big clientelle, however, by the time we left there were plenty. Wine selection was a little on the sparse side, however, we had the house red & it was very good & went well with the dinner. Thank-you Open Table. I never would have found & tried it, unless I had been a part of your email list/web site. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and excellent service.JasmineDined on 6/6/2013Great food and excellent service. I went for lunch with a business associate and I will be coming back for dinner with my husband. The lunch time pricing was very reasonable and everything was homemade and delicious. The owner was there and stopped to joke around with us and was very attentive. I would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Worth goingRickVIPDined on 5/31/2013Great service and excellent food, worth the visit.Special Features:
- Ffantastic food, service, ambience!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2013This was my first time at this restaurant and I will definitely go back. The service was very attentive, the server was knowledgeable and accommodated my special request. The food was delicious! Lovely interior decor. Also appreciate that there is free parking! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been to Villa MariaWukiesDined on 4/27/2013We've been to Villa Maria several times now and have never been disappointed. Danny and his wife and son make a great team in the kitchen and at the tables. This will definitely be a regular spot for us.Special Features: