150 Richmond Street
Boston, MA 02109Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ristorantevillafrancesca.com/
- Phone: 6173672948
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:30pm
Friday- Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Guglielmo Ranauro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We provide a catering menu, please visit our website or call us for more information.
- Special Events: We provide a special event menu, please visit our website or call us for more information.
A word from Villa Francesca
Ristorante Villa Francesca, in the North End of Boston, Massachusetts, is the brain child of Guglielmo Ranauro. Through his desire for perfection and pure love of the Italian cuisine, Guglielmo created Villa Francesca over thirty years ago. He bestowed the name Francesca after his mother, never forgetting the love and wonderful food she always provided while growing up just across the street from the restaurant. Villa Francesca boasts over 160 wine selections, and has received the prestigious Wine Enthusiast and Wine Spectator awards since 2007. You've got to try the raw bar!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Villa Francesca reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (48)special occasion (32)fit for foodies (31)good for groups (29)romantic (28)notable wine list (21)great for lunch (12)hot spot (10)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- TessDined on 10/18/2014My husband & I came here for my birthday. We've been before and I really enjoyed so wanted to come back to celebrate my special day. So glad we did. Our server was Christina and she made the evening very pleasant.Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We had the famous seafood menu...the menu proposal was great but what came in our plates was very average...the scampi pasta was poor and the lobster ravioli were swimming in a garlic sauce that was covering any other possible flavor.... Very noisy area as well.... So as overall, was very average.....Special Features:
- Excellent service and foodKelljoDined on 10/18/2014We ate here with some friends on our visit to Boston. We were all very impressed with the food and service. We went on a Saturday night. I wouldn't try to eat there without a reservation. I don't think they have a bad seat. We were seated in the basement. Reminded me of Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great time and exceptional foodkevinflanDined on 10/18/2014The quality of the food and the variety of offerings always impresses. Lobster Fra Diablo oh my what a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!StizzyLizVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great food, perfect North End atmosphere. Feels fancy without being stuffy. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for allOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014The food was wonderful, can you really go wrong in the North End? but in addition to the fabulous food, the staff were friendly, attentive and always present. The service could not be better and the ambiance was perfect if you are looking for a local, independent feel that transcends you into Italy. Wood floors, exposed brick, candlelit tables and accommodating to both small parties and large groups.Special Features:
- Great afternoon in the North End!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014We were very excited to relax and enjoy a delicious meal. Our services was good, the meal was outstanding and overall a very memorable lunch in the north end.Special Features:
- Great timeLore13Dined on 10/8/2014We sat at a table that the window was open so you had the energy of the street and the ambiance of the restaurant. The dinner was perfect and dessert divineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience againGabsterDined on 10/3/2014This is my favorite spot to take out of town guests- the service is wonderful, the food is always delicious and the ambiance is perfect. They're also very accommodating in making special dishes for you, such as combining two delicious sounding options into one even more fantastic one. I'll definitely be back again!Special Features:
- disappointedwishzigshereDined on 10/3/2014As a long time customer, I was disappointed. Food was ok to good. wine great. waiter knocked over our wine glass and did not apologize! Nor did they offer another glass of wine. Although tablecloth soaked, they didnt change it, but put napkins over it, i complained about a vent blowing cold air on my head, and was told nothing could be done,Special Features:
- Great food and friendly servicwOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Service was excellent. Food was great but I accidently order something with cream in it and as I'm lactose intolerant couldn't eat very much of my meal. It was delicious though. It got a bit loud at some points but was a great dinning experience overall. Loved the waiter and reasonable prices for the North End.Special Features:
- Bad experienceShawnBDined on 9/27/2014Bad from the start- rude doorman and poor management. I never write reviews but had to this time. My steak was served to me raw- I asked for Med/Rare. I sent it back and and they brought it back but decided not finish it for safety reasons- still raw in the middle after sending back. My wife's ravioli's were left unfinished as well- they were loaded with butter. I always finish my meal and usually hers so this was a first for me. I told the busboy it was bad when he asked me if I was done- nobody came over from management to apologize or offer to comp the steak I ate half of. Nobody asked if I wanted dessert- they just brought the bill.
- Friendly neighborhood dining spotMedfordnativeDined on 9/26/2014I met my daughter and her college friend here for dinner. The atmosphere was festive. The owner was happily watching over the dining room. Food and service were great.Special Features:
- Boston first timerItalianoDined on 9/25/2014Olive oil was green tasting...cannoli was the best I ever had....cioponi was ok...the seafood in it was great but there was no sauce....the white fish was excellent.....the clam linguini was excellent ...service was ok, but not attentive.....Special Features:
- Wonderful!BeantownvisitorsDined on 9/15/2014We really enjoyed our experience at Villa Francesca ! The food was wonderful, staff very attentive, they even offered to make things not on the menu to suit us. Lovely Boston neighborhood spot !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rosieVIPDined on 9/11/2014delicious food. waiter could have cracked a smile.Special Features:
- A MustMarkDined on 8/31/2014The North End has many nice Italian restaurants and this is one of them! Ask about the off menu italian dishes. The chicken pam is to die for!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnifico!ArtiedocVIPDined on 8/30/2014Just a gem of a restaurant . If you want to feel like you are in Italy this is the place . The food was spectacular(order the portobello appetizer) and on a good night the front of the restaurant is open to the street giving a true Italian courtyard experience .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticBabs10VIPDined on 8/28/2014Had walked by this restaurant many times but never had gone in. Had dinner during Dine Around Week. What an experience. Lovely setting on Richmond St. No heavy traffic like the places on Hanover Street. Food was incredible--lots of selections. Service was efficient but not intrusive. Will definitely put this place on my preferred North End restaurantSpecial Features:
- hair in entree..mediocre experiencenorthendfoodieDined on 8/27/2014my friends and i went here for restaurant week mostly because their menu was so extensive and we had vegetarians in our party. the service was pretty bad and our server messed up several of our drink and appetizer orders (there were only 4 of us total). all of this would have been tolerable, but unfortunately soon after i found several hairs in my pasta entree. to the restaurant's defense they removed the item right away, removed it from our bill without being asked, and even gave us a free desert. although they handled the situation as best as possible, there's just no going back from multiple hairs in your entree (especially after so much was already mediocre). definitely doesn't stand up to a typical north end experience-i won't be back.
- Restaurant Week Visit 2014catspal60Dined on 8/27/2014This is the second year that thirteen of us travelled from the South Shore (45 miles) specifically to visit Villa Francesca for Restaurant Week 2014. The food was superb and very affordable. The wait staff made us feel so comfortable and they are very good at handling large groups. We also like the neighborhood feel to the restaurant. Villa Francesca is on our 2015 activities list!Special Features:
- Dinner was finejenistarDined on 8/23/2014They had a small issue with our reservation, but the hostess resolved it while we sat at the bar. Tables are unsurprisingly close to each other. My mussels in white wine sauce appetizer was delicious, but two of the 10 mussels were empty. Antipasti was very tasty. Bread was offered as an afterthought once our app plates were cleared. Entrees were very flavorful, though I believe all courses were sized down for the Dine Out Boston menu. My husband's Frutti di Mare was spicy but not overwhelming. The Pesce Porto Fino was quite good, though the risotto side was disappointing, undercooked and crunchy. Tiramisu was perfect and a good size. Caramel custard had a nice texture and good flavor.
- Wonderful Lunch!DaveDined on 8/22/2014My daughter and I had lunch at Villa Francesca on Friday, August 22. We arrived a little earlier than our reserved time, were promptly seated and served a delicious meal. Both the food and service surpassed our expectations.Special Features:
- north end Lunch with friendsItalianbellaDined on 8/22/2014Enjoyed a lovely lunch at Villa Francesca and having dined here before , I was familiar with the open air windows , flowers, and delicious entrees. We sampled four appetizers, especially enjoying the mussels and the caprese salad. Our server was pleasant, food paced nicely,and water glasses filled subtly and as needed. All entrees were delicious! Particularly the eggplant and penne with sauce! One friend had a cannoli prepared at the table, filled with cream and topped with chocolate chips and nuts with a sprinkle of cinnamon. We will return to this neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014We each had three course. All six were outstanding.Special Features:
- Meal was okayLove2eatoutDined on 8/17/2014Our waiter Kevin, was terrific and the ambience is great, but our meals didn't quite match the service and ambience. Spaghetti and meatballs were good, but the sauce did not have much flavor. The linguine and shrimp-the sauce was very good, but the "four" shrimp were way overcooked. They were rubbery tasting. They ravioli wrapped in sage was very good, but as a whole meal got to be a bit rich, so would be good as a shared dish. Chicken Parmigiana was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing LunchJTMofHopkDined on 8/10/2014Lethargic wait staff annoyed to even be there & freezer-burned meatballs - enough said !
- Nice eveningindytrimDined on 8/8/2014I took a group of 15 to dinner. They were ready when we arrived and we had excellent and attentive service all evening. The food was very good. Our only negative (and it did not spoil the dinner) is that we were in a corner of the basement at an L shaped table. It was crowded and hard to get in and out. Upstairs the restaurant screams ambiance, but downstairs it is bare brick walls. Don't misunderstand me. We had a great time and would go back, but I am one who likes to be in the middle of the "scene" and downstairs it was intimate and quiet, but no ambiance. Had I known that we would be sitting down there I would have taken the group elsewhere and come back with a smaller group later. Great place and highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town guestskickVIPDined on 8/7/2014We have relatives from Ireland in town. I think the waiter thought/knew he had tourists at the table and it showed. The food was very good. The service was mediocre. It angers me when this happens. Francesca's is a good, solid, not overly expensive place to take out-of-towners......especially those that are not from the US. Just wish the waiter could have shown a it more enthusiasm for the table. It is disappointing.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceFoodieSueDined on 8/7/2014We enjoyed excellent food, service, wine and ambiance during our recent visit with friends from New York and Florida. We will definitely recommend Villa Francesca and plan to return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be backRamikeVIPDined on 7/26/2014I made a reservation for 7:30 last Saturday night and had to wait about 45 minutes which is what people without reservations were quoted. So we sat at the bar and had a cocktail waiting for our table. When it was time to be seated we were given a table downstairs in a dungeon like atmosphere. There were lots of tables upstairs in an open and bright area but none were available which given we had reservations and waited 45 minutes we certainly expected we would get. Perhaps the biggest disappointment was the service of the waiter who couldn't have rushed us more. One comical thing was the bread he tried to serve us which resembled Wonder bread, I asked if we could have the bread they were serving upstairs he said it was special. Hmmmm
- SubdharmabumDined on 7/26/2014I'm sorry but I don't provide honest reviews for restaurants that don't provide points for using OpenTable.
- Great for what it isJDouglasDined on 7/26/2014It was a perfect place for what we needed. We met with friends we hadn't seen in a year, so visiting was most important. Atmosphere is nice. Location is great. Service was fine. Food only so so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good experienceKTandfamilyDined on 7/26/2014This was our first time at Villa Francesca. We were a party of six including an 11yr old. We made reservations on Saturday afternoon for that night and were seated right away. Drinks, appies and entree were delivered each in a timely manner. Our waiter was very nice, too. The food was very fresh and delicious! Shrimp scampi and lobster ravioii appies were fantastic! KQTWe would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Decent food awful serviceFiDiGirlVIPDined on 7/25/2014The food was actually not bad but the service was awful. We can barely get his attention throughout dinner, messed up our drink order, didn't even offer the dessert menu, I actually had to ask for it. We were near a waiters workstation and it was really loud. They kept dropping things, breaking dishes. We were stuck downstairs too which is nothing like the upstairs with the open windows and the summer breeze coming through. Bottom line, if you go there, make sure to ask to be sitted upstairs and maybe with a better service experience, you would actually enjoy the food.
- Classic North End dining!JillDined on 7/21/2014The food and ambiance were terrific as were the waistaff- very attentive - the windows open all the way so if felt like we were dining outside with the comfort of being in the restaurant! Divine!Special Features:
- Reservations mean littleNonameVIPDined on 7/19/2014Made a reservation for a party of 4 the day prior. arrived a few minutes early. had to wait over twenty minutes to be seated. food was slightly above average. service was slow and impersonal. wine was overpriced. all in all, very disappointing.
- Food is outstandingIn2HotSpotsROYGBIVVIPDined on 7/18/2014We live in California and visit Boston a few times a year. We always take one day to have a meal at Villa Francesca. It is a favorite and a continued part of our time when we visit Boston. It is a great find and easy to get to from any part of the city. Enjoy this true to life Italian restaurant.Special Features:
- Villa Francesca, Saturday NightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2014Our party of five was able to get a reservation on relatively short notice. We were seated downstairs in the very back, near a kitchen clean-up area, but it was quieter because we weren't surrounded by other tables. Our waiter was quite friendly and attentive but it did take the food ages to come. Meanwhile, the wine was excellent, and when the food did arrive it was wonderful. Would go again, as long as I wasn't in a rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014Staff was pleasant, accommodating. Food, very good. A nice dinning experience. Definitely a place to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.