150 Richmond Street
Boston, MA 02109Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ristorantevillafrancesca.com/
- Phone: (617) 367-2948
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:30pm
Friday- Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Guglielmo Ranauro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We provide a catering menu, please visit our website or call us for more information.
- Special Events: We provide a special event menu, please visit our website or call us for more information.
A word from Villa Francesca
Ristorante Villa Francesca, in the North End of Boston, Massachusetts, is the brain child of Guglielmo Ranauro. Through his desire for perfection and pure love of the Italian cuisine, Guglielmo created Villa Francesca over thirty years ago. He bestowed the name Francesca after his mother, never forgetting the love and wonderful food she always provided while growing up just across the street from the restaurant. Villa Francesca boasts over 160 wine selections, and has received the prestigious Wine Enthusiast and Wine Spectator awards since 2007. You've got to try the raw bar!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Villa Francesca reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)fit for foodies (32)special occasion (30)romantic (29)good for groups (27)notable wine list (22)great for lunch (13)hot spot (11)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- The service and the atmosphereoutoftownerDined on 3/24/2009The service and the atmosphere were the best parts of restaurant. You felt comfortable being in the space, even though it's a small place and the food was good as well.Special Features:
- Disappointing. The choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2009Disappointing. The choices were sub-standard. We have enjoyed meals at this restaurant, and looked forward to trying the specials available for this week. If not for previous experience, I would rate Francesca as a no for future visits.
- We had terrifc service atMaryVIPDined on 3/20/2009We had terrifc service at a table by the window just off the busy North End Hanover street scene. The food was excellent. I would particularly recommend the lobster ravioli. The wait staff are attentive without hovering and the atmosphere is warm and inviting.Special Features:
- The food was wonderful andMaryTVIPDined on 3/20/2009The food was wonderful and the menu offerings varied. Great service. Could not have asked for a better dining experinece.Special Features:
- We had a reservation for 8:30OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/19/2009We had a reservation for 8:30 pm. It was very quiet. My salad dressing was one of the best I've ever enjoyed. When we left at ten we were the last people in the place. Waiter was ultra accomodating. Let me order a chicken Marsala....that wasn't even on the menu!Special Features:
- Much more expensive than weOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/7/2009Much more expensive than we had expected for a typical North End restaurant - we could have had the same meals and wines someplace else for 1/2 the cost. One person in our party tried to valet and was told no valet available, I'd have to say I've never heard of that before. They also stuck us in the basement so we essentially ate by ourselves away from all of the guests upstairs - the fun of eating in the North End is people watching, we couldn't do any.Special Features:
- The food was good but theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/28/2009The food was good but the menu was limited and it was very pricey. Very noisy and cramped contions if you're interested in a more intimiate dining experience. The staff was attentive and friendly.
- While I was concerned thatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/24/2009While I was concerned that it wasn't that crowded, I was very impressed with the food. We split the antipasta which was all fresh and the meats were authentically italian. I was almost too full to have my main course, considering the appetizer and yummy bread. Highly recommend the rack of lamb and the pesto pasta. The service was attentive but not intrusive and we had a great view the street (which in the north end, is always fun).Special Features:
- Everything was perfect aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/14/2009Everything was perfect about Villa Francesca. I had flowers delivered to my table and the staff at Villa Francesca made sure that all of the details were perfect! We got a window table with plenty of room and the flowers were ready and waiting for us. The food was fresh and tasted great and we especially liked the handmade cannoli's that were filled at our table! The free valet was awesome. We will definitely be back. Thanks for a great night.Special Features:
- Good food. Accommodating forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/28/2009Good food. Accommodating for our group of business professionals needing space and opportunity to converse. Food was well prepared and, although I was only marginally excited about what I ordered, everybody else was more than pleased with theirs. Decent wine selection and very good service. I would go back.Special Features:
- We have been to Villa FrancescaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/9/2009We have been to Villa Francesca several times in the past-- this trip did not disappoint. The calamari was fantastic, the bruscetta was delicious...and our entrees were perfect! This is a place where you can count on consistent excellent food.Special Features:
- I've been going to Francesca'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/2/2009I've been going to Francesca's for years. The combination of the warm atmosphere, the friendly and attentive service and the great food bring me back again and again. The menu offers a nice selection of dishes, including my favorite, Fettucine Carciofi. On my last visit, I went with a group that included some picky eaters and a couple of foodies - everyone found something they enjoyed on the menu.
- Our dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/6/2008Our dining experience was entirely enjoyable. There were 8 in our party, and the food and service was excellent. The only disappointment was the very overpriced wine list.Special Features:
- Food was wonderful and ourOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/7/2008Food was wonderful and our wait staff was helpful and kept an eye on us without being overbearing.Special Features:
- food and service were wonderful!andieVIPDined on 11/1/2008food and service were wonderful! We were seated at a table near the door so it was a little chilly and loud.Special Features:
- Very nice. The maitre'd, however,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/29/2008Very nice. The maitre'd, however, was a little pushy in seating when we arrived early. We were approached several times at the bar as we waited for the rest of our party to arrive. Not hassled, but a bit anxious.Special Features:
- Booked over two weeks before,OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/25/2008Booked over two weeks before, the greeeting hostess seemed inexperienced and overwhelmed. She asked us to wait at the bar then forgot we were there. Then tried to seat us right next to the entrance door..eventually we were sat a great table. Food was excellent although the waiter had no clue of the Italian wines on the wine list (in the North End).
- Very disappointed. I've beenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2008Very disappointed. I've been to Villa Francesca before and it was excellent previously. This visit I had an 8pm reservation and did not get sat until 8:45pm. The host staff were not friendly at all. Our server was not attentive and was not willing to make special accommodations for some food requests. The food was not good either. The mussels were extremely small and dried out.
- Fabulous food - excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/10/2008Fabulous food - excellent service - very authentic Italian! Loved the table with open window. Open Table experience for reservation worked perfectly!Special Features:
- I would rate the food goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2008I would rate the food good to fair.Ambiance lovely!Special Features:
- The food was excellent. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2008The food was excellent. Service was good. I would, however, next time request a table upstairs as I didn't know there was basement seating. We missed the "outdoor" ambiance.
- We had a large group and weremauriceDined on 9/5/2008We had a large group and were from out of town. The staff was wonderful to us!Special Features:
- We went to Villa FrancescaOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/4/2008We went to Villa Francesca because my wife saw their ad in Boston Magazine. She had gone there years ago, and I had never been there before. My wife recalled the excellent veal picatta from earlier trips, and it was as good as she remembered. Although the North End has lost some of its authenticity in the past ten years (our waitress was from Russia), the food was still very authentically Italian. The bruschetta was wonderful as an starter, we had an incredible pasta special as a primi, and I had a "sampler" of chicken, veal and sausage for my secondi. We had a great bottle of Brunello di Montalcino from from Castello Banfi. Overall, comparable to Ristorante Fiore (one of my North End favorites)Special Features:
- There were hostesses beingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2008There were hostesses being trained the night we went and our reservation was mixed up,which caused us to be kept waiting for half an hour.There was a very wide selection of dishes. The Caprese salad would have been better if the tomatoes were "home grown" and not store bought, they didn't have much flavor.The Lobster Ravioli was excellent as was the Veal stuffed with crabmeat.The waiter was very attentive and friendly. Overall it was a great experience.Special Features:
- Great food and service. ASuzieVIPDined on 8/23/2008Great food and service. A favorite North ebd restaurant.Special Features:
- The reservation was for 5:30pOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/27/2008The reservation was for 5:30p and we were seated on time. Friendly service and a great table by the window as requested in our reservation. (Third visit to this establishment)Special Features:
- the food is good, but over-priced.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2008the food is good, but over-priced. A simple ceasar salad was over $8, fairly standard pasta dishes were $20 or more (without salad or any accompaniment) The wait staff is fair and it appears that they are trying to sell you on getting more food that is expensive, continually suggesting additional items (not necessarily because they are good). It's too bad since the homemade pasta is good and the desserts, esp the cannoli's are very good.Special Features:
- I had a veil dish which wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2008I had a veil dish which was very good. However, the bread they served was on par with a bad grocery style selection. I don't have a clue why restaurants cannot get Marketing 101 right...the first impression customers have is the most telling and lasting. Serve fresh warm bread. Also my dinner was $30 with no salad? that's unreasonable. I think this place is a tourist haven which is why they can serve bad bread, a dinner with no salad for $30 and put us in the basement for our "dining experience".Special Features:
- We had not been to Villa FrancescaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2008We had not been to Villa Francesca in a number of years. We loved the renovations they had done to the restaurant and the food was wonderful - just as we had remembered it.Special Features:
- Had a 7:30 reservation butOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2008Had a 7:30 reservation but wasn't seated till 8:45. Basement was loud and AC was cranked very high.
- Our party of 8 had a wonderfulSea2SeaDined on 7/5/2008Our party of 8 had a wonderful time at Villa Francesca. The food was very good and the wait staff did a fantastic job.Special Features:
- Our servers were quite accomodatingHealthspeakerVIPDined on 6/22/2008Our servers were quite accomodating and the food very good. One big negative- The rather surly attitude of host when I asked for a high chair. He snarled back that they had no high chair but did have a booster and seemed annoyed we had a child with us. He also barked a few orders in Spanish to servers while we were brought into the resturant. (I speak Spanish fluently and understood all that was said. Good to remember that lots of Anglos understand Spanish. Also, vocal tone knows no language. Easy to know he was annoyed. ) Too bad. We will likely not return as a family to the resturant. This put the entire group on edge and was a very bad way to start. Thankfully, our servers were gracious and took very good care of the groupSpecial Features:
- Table was WAY too close togetherOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2008Table was WAY too close together - literally no more than six-eight inches dividing two tables - one table had to be physically moved for my boyfriend to get out - it was like sharing a table with another couple we'd never met before.
- The food was very good exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2008The food was very good except for the dessert (cannoli). The ambiance was loud and bubbly which was fine, but the manager/owner should not be yelling at the waiters to use another cash register. I didn't like the way he treated his employees and only leads me to believe that he really doesn't even care about the customers. Also didn't like the idea of switching waitresses in the middle of the meal as she had to leave to go to another section that was opening. The waitress/waiter should be the same from start to finish.Special Features:
- Excellent meal for the 2ndJimmyDined on 6/11/2008Excellent meal for the 2nd time. Got an open window table on a warm eve so ambience was great. Would highly recommend!!!Special Features:
- food was a bit expensive forKittyVIPDined on 6/6/2008food was a bit expensive for a place like this in the North End
- This is the second time weOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/2/2008This is the second time we have dined at Villa Francesca and find the food to be above and beyond. A seat by the window when it's nice outside provided a great feel of the city and an outside dining "feel". We'll be back!Special Features:
- This was a company functionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/1/2008This was a company function in which some valuable customers were invited. The service was great, food excellent, the experience was very good. Would come back and enjoy this again. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Very attractive interior,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2008Very attractive interior, attentive server and hostess. Food was only okay. I wouldn't go there again.Special Features:
- First restaurant I ever ateOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/24/2008First restaurant I ever ate at in the North End. Still the best. Food is authentic and delicious. Portions could be a little bigger for the price.Special Features: