2623 Ocean Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94112Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://villadesterestaurantsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 334-0580
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 4:00pm-10:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Ofelia Lopez and Ramon Oropeza
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: We offer live music on Fridays and Saturdays! Monthly Cabaret shows the first monday of every month. Contact us for more information.
A word from Villa D'Este
Villa d' Este, serving you with traditional Italian Cuisine has been owned & operated by the Oropeza Family since 1978. Villa d'Este is known locally as one of the best family restaurants in San Francisco. Offering menu selections of pasta, poultry, veal, vegetarian, seafood, and beef. Come and indulge in our seven course dinner including antipasto, mixed green salad, soup, pasta bolognese, entrée coffee and Spumoni ice cream. We also have serve A La Carte which comes with a mixed green salad or soup. We offer live music on Fridays and Saturdays! We are open for Dinner seven days a week at 4-10 p.m. We serve a Champagne Brunch on Sundays from 11am-2:30p.m. Interested in entertaining your guests as a private party? We also serve banquets and off-site catering. Call us or come by to learn more! Enjoy a full bar with great cocktails and get to know us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Villa D'Este reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (5)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (5)romantic (3)fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great Value, not great foodRichmondmanDined on 11/14/2014Gorgeous art deco interior, nice staff, great location for west side residents. Spectacular prices! $19 for a 6-course Italian dinner with Chicken Cacciatore. However, the menu is too large (close to 30 entrees), and it impacts the quality of the food. The dusty smell reminded me a my old aunt's house, and the clientele are mostly seniors. If the food was better, this place could reall be great.
- Pleasant dinnerJbunnyDined on 9/26/2014Six of us dined last Friday. The eggplant was delicious. The calimari was perfect. The special poached salmon was overdone, but edible. Great salad, soup, antipasto. The meal ended with just a dab of spumoni to sweeten our palates. Good decaf coffee, too. The ambiance provided by the musicians enhanced our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- weds nightck94112VIPDined on 9/10/2014Nice and enjoyable everything! Food has always been very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with entertainment!Folliet13Dined on 9/1/2014We went to the first Monday of the Month show at the Villa D'Este. This is great for groups out to have an enjoyable evening. They featured a prix-fixe menu with a choice of fish, chicken or veal, including salad or soup, coffee and dessert for only $20.00! Really reasonable with free entertainment thrown in. Just be sure to feed the tips jar. Nowhere in San Francisco can you get a value like this. Service was okay being that the restaurant was full.Special Features:
- Embalmed DiningSwankieVIPDined on 8/28/2014I have not seen anyplace this creepy and throwback to the 50's, even though it hasn't been around that long. The ancient looking bar was totally unappealing. The menu was antiquated and uninteresting. I really struggled to find something that had the tiniest bit of appeal. On Ocean Avenue in the Sunset this may be your only choice to dine...but grab a cab or your car and head someplace worth spending your money on.
- Avoid the liverRegularDinerVIPDined on 8/8/2014Beautiful restaurant. I had the liver and I think it must have been frozen and was, quite frankly, awful. Sides were not good either. This restaurant has big potential.Special Features:
- Excellent valuedatheyDined on 8/1/2014My sister and I wanted a nice meal to celebrate a special event and we found great food for under $20 (before tax and tip). Normally I don't like any live musical accompaniment but the pianist and singer performing popular songs fit perfectly. I didn't want them to stop. I hadn't been there in a long time. I will go back more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 82 reviews are from the Villa D'Este reviews archive.
- Hidden GemsallyannDined on 7/20/2014Food and service at this neighborhood restaurant are excellent. I have been here several times and have always enjoyed it. You might overlook it as it is set back off the street but don't pass it up. Prices are reasonable and you are well fed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great experiencePeterVIPDined on 7/8/2014We booked this restaurant to try and was so very impressed with the ambience, food and service. The building has been around since 1926, changed hands in the 70's and the current owner is still working there with his grand daughter. I love this family owned restaurant. I know I will frequent this restaurant often from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming, good foodAlexaWDined on 6/16/2014We had tried Villa D'Este for a birthday a few years ago, and decided to celebrate another here. The location, decor, ambiance is a huge draw, but also the prices are very reasonable, and the green salad had more greens/romaine than last time, which had more iceberg. The fact that it is tucked back from the street, in a courtyard, really adds to the feeling of tranquility. The full dinner is a great deal.Special Features:
- Good Value MealEnjoyVIPDined on 6/5/2014Good value dinner that includes appetizer, salad, soup, entrée and ice cream.Special Features:
- Very sadTWTSF94122Dined on 5/29/2014The smell of the restaurant when you walking in the front door is terrible. It smells like an old peoples home with the bathroom door open. Just really terrible. If the owner doesn't do something there immediately, he should sell. You have to spend money to make money and that restaurant, that has been there for years, has not changed at all. It's the same as it was 50 years ago. Very very unfortunate.
- kathyVIPDined on 5/17/2014Definitely an older crowd at this restaurant. feels like stepping back in time with the decor and the menu.. Menu was from the 60's, but in it's own way , very pleasant. Nice staff, though a little pressed on the night we went. Very reasonable cost. will return.Special Features:
- Ocean Ave. HideawayJackDined on 5/11/2014One of our favorites. Elinor and I like the fish and the Chicken Breasts. Nice 1930s ambiance. Wait staff is the grandchildren of the owner. Good enthusiastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Cabaret ShowLindahy5Dined on 4/7/2014The monthly cabaret show is great. My friends and I will be back on Mondays. The food is so so. But what do you want for $20...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was great andMoonbeamDined on 4/4/2014The service was great and excellent selection of food which can be ordered ala carte or complete dinner. Also, I have requested a round table for 6 which was great for us, this way we can chat with everyone. The price is very reasonable for seniors who are on fixed income and wished to go out once in awhile for fine dining or for a special occasion. Highly recommend this restaurant for young or old adults and also, families with kids.Special Features:
- St. Patrick's DayBethSFVIPDined on 3/17/2014What a wonderful event. The corned beef and cabbage dinner was DELICIOUS. The singing was great. I hope they will do this event again next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- basic old-school ItalianDanManVIPDined on 3/15/2014good basic Italian food, reasonable service, good for neighbors, not a restaurant you'd go out of your way to visit, tired decor, simple kids menuSpecial Features:
- Great restaurantMurphDined on 3/8/2014We love it here. The drinks and dinner are perfect. Large variety. The atmosphere is very elegant. Love this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old San FranciscoRobWDined on 3/8/2014this Restaurant, is very old San Francisco, takes me back to the early 60's. I have eaten here many times, and the food remains consistent. The service was excellent. Love the decor. The staff was very pleasant, and efficient. I shall return.Special Features:
- Truly terrible foodLJMPVIPDined on 2/28/2014I rarely write bad reviews but this meal was so disappointing for my entire family, that I feel obligated to warn others. I should not have ignored the bad reviews on YELP.
- A total disappointmentdbinggoDined on 2/14/2014This was a very bad dining experience, especially for a supposedly special day (Valentine's Day). The prime rib prix fixe menu was soooo bad... 25% fat, rare instead of medium, and the side dish of pasta was like one prepared out of a bottle. Service was unbelievably slow, with too much wait time in bringing each course to the the table, and our agony was prolonged as it took a long time for our bill to be brought to us. Never again...
- valetine dinnertaffyDined on 2/14/2014very romantic place for valetime day dinner or anytime.special dinner menu for valetime.dInner, I had prime rib which was large and we also had chicken both very good.also had wine merlot from the bar.staff and owner very nice service was fast and we sat were we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charming neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/9/2014We had never been to Villa D' Este and decided to try it for Sunday brunch. We had a great time. Brunch includes a complimentary glass of sparkling wine. The restaurant has typical brunch entrees, and everything we tried was good. The décor is charming. Restaurant looks out onto a brick walkway bordered with flowers. Service was great. We will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Traditional ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/25/2014Villa d'Este is a great spot to experience old style full Italian dinners in an art deco dining room, with anti-pasta, soup, salad, pasta, entre, dessert, and coffee, all for around $19 to $25. There are many entre choices including fish, beef, veal, chicken, and pasta. Ala carte is also offered. The service is friendly and attentive and the place attracts many regulars. There is a full bar separated from the dining area. Check for nights when they offer live piano entertainment to accompany dinner. We eat here often and always have a good meal and a fun time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FlashbackElboDined on 1/24/2014The atmosphere in this restaurant is a flashback to times gone by! The ornate details of the 1928 building have been retained, and are a hoot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's always consistent inOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/11/2013It's always consistent in their service & food. I have been here many times and for me there's no complaints.Special Features:
- Good food, great music, and parkingfoodforthoughtDined on 9/8/2013Stopped in to this restaurant in the neighborhood for Sunday night dinner - and found a wonderful live jazz group (Charged Particles) there too! Good food at a very reasonable price, great music, a retro setting in the neighborhood - and easy parking! A winning combination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This time we enjoyed a deliciousjazzyVIPDined on 9/8/2013This time we enjoyed a delicious brunch which started off with champagne. The owner's granddaughter served us, took our order and was very nice. This is a wonderful family owned and run restaurant. I have been dining here for the past 30+ years and have enjoyed everything. When you dine here you fee like we werel part of the family. There omelettes are delicious and they are very generous.Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceEnjoyVIPDined on 9/7/2013The service was outstanding - prompt & attentive. Good value for the dinner. Would like to visit again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little DisappointedAnnieVIPDined on 8/25/2013I have been coming here forever. While the 7 course meal is very reasonably priced, the food was very mediocre. The pasta was probably leftover from lunch. It reminded me of the retirement dinners I hated to go to!! Drink seemed even to be watered down. Server was very nice. It will be a while before I return. Too bad...Special Features:
- Birthday dinnermaresDined on 8/18/2013Celebrated a birthday here on a Sunday evening. The restaurant was not very crowded but that was ok by me. The service was very good. The waiter and his assistant were very attentive --even providing my 2 vegetarian children with meatless pasta. The ambiance was nice. i imagine that when they have the piano player it is even better. The food was great--all four courses. Drinks were very reasonable as well. All in all, it was a lovely evening!Special Features:
- always enjoyed eating there.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/13/2013always enjoyed eating there. the price includes everything which is great: soup, salad, antipasta, pasta, and entree.Special Features:
- Family Italian Dining At It's BestOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/10/2013One of the few remaining Italian restaurants where you can get a full course meal of anti-pasta, soup, salad, pasta, entrée, dessert, and coffee -- all for around $20. The food is excellent and the owner is extremely welcoming. I highly recommend Villa d-Este for anyone who wants to experience family Italian dinners as they were experienced in the 50's and 60's in an art deco setting. Be sure to ask Ramon, the owner and bartender, for recommendations of a fine Chianti, as he stocks a great selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestsfandyDined on 8/9/2013We have been eating here for many years now. The food is consistent - Great taste and presentation. A very good value. The service is always friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is an "old timey" restaurantDaisyDined on 7/11/2013This is an "old timey" restaurant that's been around for many years. The owner, Ramon, was very nice as was his waitperson/granddaughter, however, the food lacked a lot. The meat was tough and the appetizer of escargot did not have any garlic/butter flavor.
- Quiet and Relaxed AtmospherefamilydinnerDined on 6/23/2013We celebrated a family birthday celebration here on a Sunday evening. The service was friendly and the atmosphere was quiet and relaxing. We could easily have conversations without the need to shout or strain to hear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a lot of workNapamelVIPDined on 6/22/2013I remember when this was a neighborhood gem. Now, the family is trying to improve and from what I understand will have all the upgrades by October. The restaurant was not that busy when we checked in but it took them about 15 minutes to acknowledge us. When we did get our table the waiter made of the best of it. The food was just OK and reminded me of the food I use to get at the old San Francisco Italian Restaurants from 50 years ago.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemSFgalVIPDined on 6/13/2013This Italian restaurant has been around for many years. The art deco interior is fun and they have live dinner music on weekends. Great for couples or groups with a good menu and wine list.Special Features:
- Great place for a quiet dinnerBethSFVIPDined on 6/2/2013We had a very positive experience at Villa D'Este. The food was delicious and the service was great. It was very quiet and we sat next to the window. Overall -- a wonderful time. Thank you, Villa D'Este !Special Features: