Vienna Restaurant & Historic Inn
14 South St
Southbridge, MA 01550-4006Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
Vienna Restaurant & Historic Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thevienna.com/
- Phone: (508) 764-0700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Wed - Friday 11:45 - 2:30 p.m.
Dinner Mon - Friday 5:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Saturday 4:45 - 10:00 p.m.
Sunday Dinner 2:00 - 6:00 p.m.
All other times - Call for availibility
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, German, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Krach
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: 2-500
Private Cheffing available
- Entertainment: For New Year's Gala, Special Events and Holidays only
- Special Events: Oktoberfests
A word from Vienna Restaurant & Historic Inn
Conveniently located off 1-84 & 1-90, #9 Sturbridge Exit. towering over Historic Southbridge. The Krach family operates a full-service European restaurant & Inn for overnight lodging. Impressive period antiques & authentically refreshing décor of Austria, France & Germany make this a true romantic destination. Highlights: Filet Mignon, Tenderloin Beef Stroganoff, Weiner Schnitzel, Grilled Salmon, Roasted Duckling & Frenched Rack of Lamb. Finish in the parlor by the wood burning fireplace while sipping a good Cognac or Viennese Coffee & delectable desserts.Continued
Traditional Home Magazine, Yankee Magazine - Editors Choice "Best European-style Inn for New England", Voted 3 consecutive years -Trip Advisor's Award of Excellence
Traditional Home Magazine, Yankee Magazine - Editors Choice "Best European-style Inn for New England", Voted 3 consecutive years -Trip Advisor's Award of Excellence
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Vienna Restaurant & Historic Inn - Best Restaurants in Southbridge ›
Vienna Restaurant & Historic Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (34)romantic (31)fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (24)notable wine list (22)great for outdoor dining (14)good for groups (11)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- A Viennese DelightfinedinerDined on 11/5/2014Our waitress, family member and regionally dressed, made our visit exceptional! Loved the decor and historical antiques and ambience. We had the dumplings appetizer and main courses of schnitzel and homemade sausages served with homemade spaetzle and red cabbage side which were excellent with a German Riesling. The Viennese pear tarte with almond crust was so delicious. When I commented on the garnishes of fresh oregano and anise, she returned with a few rooted samples from the front garden for me to plant in my own! I chose this restaurant as a memory of our European travels, while we were day tripping for a cause in Western Massachusetts. We will return for the fine experience and tastes, and just for fun!Special Features:
- First time at the ViennaChrisDined on 11/2/2014Kudos to Jonathan - not only did he open the restaurant for just two of us an hour early on Sunday so we could get to the Broncos-Patriots game on time, but he he followed that generous hospitality with an outstanding meal and accompaniments. We had the goulash soup followed by the fried Camembert cheese appetizer which he followed with a few slices of a smoked sausage and course grain mustard, the classically prepared jaeger schnitzel and tenderloin sauerbraten were all washed down with a local Marzen beer. We were duly impressed not only with their desire to accommodate a customer with a special request but to set in front of us a first rate traditional meal in a quiet environment was singularly appreciated. -- Chris B., Tampa, FLSpecial Features:
- A wonderful experienceLenHDined on 11/1/2014First, I would like to thank my GPS for getting us there. When we arrived, we found that the parking lot was tight. It was difficult to get into the last remaining spot due to my tires not gripping the wet gravel. Once inside, it was a fabulous experience. The wait staff was very attentive and the meals were excellent. The Vienna is a gem.Special Features:
- Once again, can't be beat!nightoutDined on 11/1/2014Vienna never disappoints. We both ordered from their "Specials" menu, recited with enthusiasm by our waitress, and she was able to answer questions about any of it. My husband ordered boar for the first time ever and we were both pleased. My veal was to die for and the potato-leek soup was rich and creamy and flavored perfectly with dill. The seasonal dessert offered was an individual pumpkin cake with a caramel and pecan sauce which I enjoyed while my husband chose the chocolate/pistachio creation. It was hard to narrow it down since you know it will be excellent. You are taken care of but not bothered throughout the entire meal. Definitely not a place for kids. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salad upgrade warningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2014Usually, when told you can upgrade to a Caesar salad from the house salad, it's a few dollars more. We were charged $10 per salad upgrade and that was outrageous! Stick to the house salad, unless you know in advance what the charge is and are willing to pay it. Just a note: the Caesar salad was not authentic, but chopped romaine lettuce, a few croutons and bottled dressing.Special Features:
- Great Unique Quaint DeliciousSunioneDined on 10/26/2014This place is not set in a great area of town though driving there with the foliage all gold and red was delightful. Not to worry! Inside is a real gem of 19th century decor, like stepping back in time. Their speciality is German cuisine, which we were not familiar with, but it all wowed us! Our waiter was friendly and courteous. We asked for and had a private dining room because we had children with us, ten people altogether. In the chilly weather they have a fire going in the little parlor and during nicer weather a quaint outdoor patio. All the rooms are small as this is an old Victorian and there is not a lot of seating so if you go be sure to get reservations.Special Features:
- do not expect a lotluvgoodfoodDined on 10/25/2014I made reservations thinking this was a very good restaurant. It is a very pretentious place. It pretends that it's food is high quality, when, in fact it is very poor quality. I mean, canned mushrooms in a veal sauce? and the veal was probably cut from a pre-formed loaf. When I spend $36 for a "special" I expect a gastronomical treat. I live in a city where good food is world-renowned and restaurants take real pride in the food choices and prep. I got the sense that this is an old house that costs a lot to maintain and the food is low-balled to keep the maintenance up on the place. YUCK I would NEVER go back! PS - atmosphere is not worth it.lSpecial Features:
- Nice for the areaSteveDined on 10/24/2014Nice for the area but the food was just ok. Additionally, the portion sizes are WAY too large and as a result unappetizing!
- authenticnenenohands14Dined on 10/23/2014The dining room is small. And the chairs are a little uncomfortable. But the food was amazing. Everything I had was great. Even my own Oma's cooking can't compare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysAs136Dined on 10/16/2014I was craving some WienerSchnitzel and enjoyed everything i ordered that evening. The ambiance was great as well as our waitress and we enjoyed sitting by the fireplace in our dining room. Desert was amazing too, i had a warm apple strudel with freshly whipped cream. :) We look forward to our next trip to vienna.Special Features:
- Better than anticipatedLisa7098Dined on 10/14/2014Our dining experience at the Vienna Restaurant and Historic Inn was excellent - better than we anticipated. The ambiance is elegant - from the furnishings to the china on the table. The meals were delicious as were the desserts. Service was attentive. We couldn't have asked for a more relaxed atmosphere and incredible meal.Special Features:
- Austrian Food at its bestshodgeDined on 10/12/2014I have eaten at the Vienna three times, and all three visits were nothing short of amazing. This restaurant serves Austrian/German food, and it is fantastic. My favorite appetizer is the KÖNIGSBERGER KLOPSE – Locally grown veal & beef smothered in a creamy dill and caper crème. Of course, the CHATEAUBRIAND, caved table-side with three classic sauces: Bordelaise, Béarnaise & Au Poivre with red cabbage and spätzle, is another one of our favorites. Desserts are also amazing. Do plan for a few hours to be spent at the Vienna, as they do space out their courses more than most New Englanders are used to, and a most welcome change. This restaurant wants you to enjoy their food and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great hidtoric restaurantgkanevskyDined on 10/11/2014Excellent food, historic Austrian interior, nice foodSpecial Features:
- wonderful anniversary dinnerMiranda06Dined on 10/5/2014My husband and I recently celebrated our one year anniversary here. We chose the Vienna because it was also the lication for our rehersal dinner and post wedding brunch last year. All three visits were outstanding. Great food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A touch of EuropeJo50Dined on 10/4/2014Restaurant and Inn in Italianate building. Small entryway/bar area, we had to wait for our table (we had made a reservation ahead of time) and not a comfortable area to sit for a drink while you wait. The staff did their best to get us to our table as soon as they could. The food is typically middle European, so on the heavy side, which was very acceptable on the rainy and chilly evening we were there. On the website they feature a full vegan/vegetarian menu but that wasn't available. Evidently the chef could come up with something but mostly involving tofu substitutes for meat, which wasn't appealing. There was one veggie option on the menu and it was tasty. Desserts looked great but we were too full. Overall a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014Have visited this restaurant over several years and am always pleased with the service and the food. A must go to spot when we are in the area. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't be in a hurryFoodforthoughtDined on 9/27/2014We had dinner reservations for a party of four at 7:15. Our meal was completed sometime after 10:00. Restaurant was not seemingly overcrowded or exceptionally busy. Service, although friendly, was somewhat slow and inattentive. Fortunately the food was worth the wait and inconvenience. We did however pass on desert and after dinner drinks, as we agreed to go elsewhere to finish the evening. If you don't have to be anywhere shortly after dinner, I recommend trying this restaurant.Special Features:
- GutEssen1Dined on 9/27/2014food, wine, service all TOP TIER! A little pricy, BUT! Well worth it. Such an authentic experience I feel as though, upon exiting, we will be facing the Mosel or Rhine River flowing past the front door. The only disappointment we have ever had is the realization, when we leave, that we are NOT in Germany at all but still here in Massachusetts a long, long way from the Rhine.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceAncestralManorDined on 9/25/2014Three for a lunch meeting chose fried Cambert, German sausage, mushroom crepes, scallops and three deserts to share. Lovely, historic Inn and gourmet German/Austrian food. Very nice.Special Features:
- Lovely Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014I had driven by this restaurant numerous times and decided to have lunch there with my mom. We arrived around 1:15 and had a lovely lunch.Everything was terrific...The veal cutlet was like butter, the spaetzles were a little harder than I like, but still tasty. My mom had the bratwurst and knockwurst and said that it was wonderful. She also had the pea soup and raved about it. We didn't have dessert there, but she took home a white chocolate cheesecake and said it creamy and she would have it again...Also, our waitress was spectacular and very attentive. A bit pricey for lunch, but really a lovely spot for a special occasion..Special Features:
- Almost 4 starsRonCDined on 9/20/2014While I did order off-menu, I don't think that is a good reason for under seasoned food. I rarely salt my food at a good restaurant the Wiener Schnitzel a la Holstein (with the fried egg on top) was a tad dry and needed salt. The wine was excellent as was the service. The Caesar salad was one of the best I've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive for quality and portionLynnovirgoDined on 9/19/2014I was anxious to try but not quite sure I will return. I found the portions to be small and for the entrée price was expecting exceptional quality and exquisite presentation. The ambiance could be excellent with more attention to detail, actually overall attention to detail is needed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014upcharges to salad options and specials were not conveyed. a small house salad accompanies an entrée, we were offered Caesar instead which inflated bill by $ 10 which was bad form. entrée special was approx. 5-6 oz sauteed veal 1/3 cup red cabbage, 1/3 cup spatzel, and about 1/2 cup gravy with mushrooms....$36.00 while the food was good portion sizes are very small- this is a small town and meal does not command this price structure. felt taken advantage ofSpecial Features:
- Austrian Fare within Arm' s Reachmac10Dined on 9/5/2014The Vienna Restaurant and historic inn is a treasure in south- central Massachussetts. The ambiance, decor, food, and setup all work together for a memorable experience. We arrived and were seated in a quaint sitting room. We ordered our wine, appetizer and entrees. While waiting on our wine, we admired the decor and books. The wine came quickly, followed by fried camembert with a raspberry mustard sauce. The flavor combination was unique and delicious, piping hot and of good texture. The entrees took us by surprise. The mushroom ravioli was cut up mushroom crepe. The flavors worked well and he presentation as lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At long lastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We had heard about the Vienna Restaurant since we moved to the area 5 years ago, but it took us this long to try it out. We went on the spur of the moment on a Friday evening for a rare date away from the kids. We had a fantastic romantic meal outside in front of the fire. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful as alwaysAs136Dined on 8/6/2014Every time I dine at Vienna I leave very happy...from the warm greeting to the ambiance that makes me feel right at home, I love every minute of it. I enjoyed my favorite dish again; tafelspitz. Also leave room for desert!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful experienceNightowlsNightOutDined on 8/3/2014We were cordially greeted and shown to a private table in a romantic alcove on the 2nd floor. The landing, as well as the whole inn was delightfully decorated. Our server was informative, courteous and very attentive. The menu was varied with the usual, and not so usual Austrian/German fare. The wine list was extensive, providing my wife with a a most enjoyable choice. Our appetizer - fried camembert cheese, with a spicy raspberry mustard was superb. My wife enjoyed her sauerbraten, and my duck special might rate with my best ever. We near wept when, because of dietary restrictions, we had to pass on the delicious sounding and looking desserts. But that didn't stop us from having a delightful experience, warranting a return visit.Special Features:
- Unbelievable.....UnhappydinerDined on 8/2/2014We stayed at the Inn for a night and ended up dining at the restaurant. The owners are extremely nice, warm, professional and pleasant, The ambiance is very romantic and brings you back or away to another time/place (Austria). The only issue was the new waitress that apparently was the most junior member of the staff... I would go back in...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot For DinnerbbfanDined on 7/30/2014Had a wonderful meal with my wife and family. Food is excellent and the service was wonderful. Best German/ Austrian restaurant New England.Special Features:
- The following 34 reviews are from the Vienna Restaurant & Historic Inn reviews archive.
- special saturday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014A quiet corner table , great server, fabulous food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We have been wanting to try Vienna for years, and finally made it! I thought the restaurant was very cute, with a very interesting menu. We wanted the chance to get out of our comfort zone. We found the meat to be excellent, but the side dishes were good but not great. We thought it would be a good environment to bring friends and would be interested to attend an event there.Special Features:
- Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful!RACKDined on 7/19/2014German, Austrian, and Hungarian cuisine prepared to perfection. Four of us traveled from Boston for the Vienna experience. The staff is among the best I have ever witnessed. The owner comes to your table to chat, answers questions about the restaurant and inn and makes you feel welcome. I can not wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatFoodie28Dined on 7/19/2014We eat here every time we visit nearby Sturbridge. It is by far our favorite restaurant in the area. The only drawback is they lack parking in their lot and we had to park on the street. There's nothing they can do about it but it would be an inconvenience in bad weather. It's still worth it for the great food you will enjoy so go for it!Special Features:
- Special experienceGeeorgeDined on 6/28/2014I treasure quality in my experiences. From the moment I called for a reservation, through the meal, to past the final pleasures of memories glow, these things will be remembered for years to come. Very few places have taken the time to invest in perks, such as home grown flower petal garnishes, or real linen serviettes, linen table spreads, weighted silverware, and Crystal glassware. The staff all wore Dirndl dresses for the traditional experiences, and were perfect hosts. Whatever the cost, it's well worth the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet German-Austrian-HungarianSJRSMDDined on 6/26/2014Vienna is a diamond in the Connecticut small town of Southbridge. Husband and wife owned. She is out front providing impeccable customer service and he is a Gourmet Chef in the kitchen preparing German-Austrian-Hungarian dishes that are poetry. I have eaten at Vienna once a year for many years when I serve as a mock arbitrator at the Southbridge Conference Center with a US Navy labor relations training program. If you find yourself within 50 miles, you must plan to eat at Vienna. Fine food in a beautiful, romantic Victorian mansion with perfect service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a nice eveningexperienceDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I had a great dinner at the Vienna restaurant. The duck pate was just wonderful. The service was great and we felt very comfortable and welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceAuthenticGermanYumDined on 6/15/2014There were four in our party and the appetizers were amazingly yummy. Everyone but 1 person loved their entree and all but 1 person loved their dessert. That's a big win considering that even though there were 2 things that were not loved, they did taste delicious!! We all agreed that we want to go back there and maybe even spend the night in the inn!!!Special Features:
- luvittherealwaysagoodtimeDined on 6/3/2014I have been there many times and will continue to go back. It is a great place to dine. The food is Austrian/German and I have never been disappointed with a meal there. The waitstaff is always friendly and very helpful. The restaurant is also a B&B. I have not stayed there, but, have taken a tour. It is an old house that has a front porch to sit and dine on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible dining experiencebagammDined on 5/22/2014We had the good fortune to stay at the Vienna Restaurant and Historic Inn through a Groupon, otherwise we may have missed this wonderful experience! The Inn immediately felt like home and once we settled in we had a delicious lunch served by the charming daughter of the owners; it is family owned and operated and you can sense their pride in their attention to every detail. Our first sampling of the food was amazing to us because it surpassed most of the German/Austrian food we have ever had......this includes my German mother-in-law and dining in Germany itself. Chef Jonathan truly has a gift for creating dishes that delight the palate. Dinner each evening was a glorious experience and the desserts were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place hidden in SouthbridgeBoston2IbizaVIPDined on 5/18/2014Our first experience at Vienna was fantastic! We were running late for our reservation so they agreed to stay open late just for us! We had the whole place just to ourselves. Our server was incredibly cordial and attentive and the food was fantastic. My husband even found a new favorite beer! We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.