Vienna Restaurant & Historic Inn
14 South St
Southbridge, MA 01550-4006Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
Vienna Restaurant & Historic Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thevienna.com/
- Phone: 5087640700x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Wed - Friday 11:45 - 2:30 p.m.
Dinner Mon - Friday 5:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Saturday 4:45 - 10:00 p.m.
Sunday Dinner 2:00 - 6:00 p.m.
All other times - Call for availibility
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, German, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Krach
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: 2-500
Private Cheffing available
- Entertainment: For New Year's Gala, Special Events and Holidays only
- Special Events: Oktoberfests
A word from Vienna Restaurant & Historic Inn
Conveniently located off 1-84 & 1-90, #9 Sturbridge Exit. towering over Historic Southbridge. The Krach family operates a full-service European restaurant & Inn for overnight lodging. Impressive period antiques & authentically refreshing décor of Austria, France & Germany make this a true romantic destination. Highlights: Filet Mignon, Tenderloin Beef Stroganoff, Weiner Schnitzel, Grilled Salmon, Roasted Duckling & Frenched Rack of Lamb. Finish in the parlor by the wood burning fireplace while sipping a good Cognac or Viennese Coffee & delectable desserts.Continued
Traditional Home Magazine, Yankee Magazine - Editors Choice "Best European-style Inn for New England", Voted 3 consecutive years -Trip Advisor's Award of Excellence
Traditional Home Magazine, Yankee Magazine - Editors Choice "Best European-style Inn for New England", Voted 3 consecutive years -Trip Advisor's Award of Excellence
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Vienna Restaurant & Historic Inn - Best Restaurants in Southbridge ›
Vienna Restaurant & Historic Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (20)romantic (19)fit for foodies (15)great for outdoor dining (13)neighborhood gem (11)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)good for groups (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Austrian Fare within Arm' s Reachmac10Dined on 9/5/2014The Vienna Restaurant and historic inn is a treasure in south- central Massachussetts. The ambiance, decor, food, and setup all work together for a memorable experience. We arrived and were seated in a quaint sitting room. We ordered our wine, appetizer and entrees. While waiting on our wine, we admired the decor and books. The wine came quickly, followed by fried camembert with a raspberry mustard sauce. The flavor combination was unique and delicious, piping hot and of good texture. The entrees took us by surprise. The mushroom ravioli was cut up mushroom crepe. The flavors worked well and he presentation as lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At long lastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We had heard about the Vienna Restaurant since we moved to the area 5 years ago, but it took us this long to try it out. We went on the spur of the moment on a Friday evening for a rare date away from the kids. We had a fantastic romantic meal outside in front of the fire. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful as alwaysAs136Dined on 8/6/2014Every time I dine at Vienna I leave very happy...from the warm greeting to the ambiance that makes me feel right at home, I love every minute of it. I enjoyed my favorite dish again; tafelspitz. Also leave room for desert!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful experienceNightowlsNightOutDined on 8/3/2014We were cordially greeted and shown to a private table in a romantic alcove on the 2nd floor. The landing, as well as the whole inn was delightfully decorated. Our server was informative, courteous and very attentive. The menu was varied with the usual, and not so usual Austrian/German fare. The wine list was extensive, providing my wife with a a most enjoyable choice. Our appetizer - fried camembert cheese, with a spicy raspberry mustard was superb. My wife enjoyed her sauerbraten, and my duck special might rate with my best ever. We near wept when, because of dietary restrictions, we had to pass on the delicious sounding and looking desserts. But that didn't stop us from having a delightful experience, warranting a return visit.Special Features:
- Unbelievable.....UnhappydinerDined on 8/2/2014We stayed at the Inn for a night and ended up dining at the restaurant. The owners are extremely nice, warm, professional and pleasant, The ambiance is very romantic and brings you back or away to another time/place (Austria). The only issue was the new waitress that apparently was the most junior member of the staff... I would go back in...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot For DinnerbbfanDined on 7/30/2014Had a wonderful meal with my wife and family. Food is excellent and the service was wonderful. Best German/ Austrian restaurant New England.Special Features:
- special saturday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014A quiet corner table , great server, fabulous food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We have been wanting to try Vienna for years, and finally made it! I thought the restaurant was very cute, with a very interesting menu. We wanted the chance to get out of our comfort zone. We found the meat to be excellent, but the side dishes were good but not great. We thought it would be a good environment to bring friends and would be interested to attend an event there.Special Features:
- Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful!RACKDined on 7/19/2014German, Austrian, and Hungarian cuisine prepared to perfection. Four of us traveled from Boston for the Vienna experience. The staff is among the best I have ever witnessed. The owner comes to your table to chat, answers questions about the restaurant and inn and makes you feel welcome. I can not wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatFoodie28Dined on 7/19/2014We eat here every time we visit nearby Sturbridge. It is by far our favorite restaurant in the area. The only drawback is they lack parking in their lot and we had to park on the street. There's nothing they can do about it but it would be an inconvenience in bad weather. It's still worth it for the great food you will enjoy so go for it!Special Features:
- Gourmet German-Austrian-HungarianSJRSMDDined on 6/26/2014Vienna is a diamond in the Connecticut small town of Southbridge. Husband and wife owned. She is out front providing impeccable customer service and he is a Gourmet Chef in the kitchen preparing German-Austrian-Hungarian dishes that are poetry. I have eaten at Vienna once a year for many years when I serve as a mock arbitrator at the Southbridge Conference Center with a US Navy labor relations training program. If you find yourself within 50 miles, you must plan to eat at Vienna. Fine food in a beautiful, romantic Victorian mansion with perfect service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a nice eveningexperienceDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I had a great dinner at the Vienna restaurant. The duck pate was just wonderful. The service was great and we felt very comfortable and welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceAuthenticGermanYumDined on 6/15/2014There were four in our party and the appetizers were amazingly yummy. Everyone but 1 person loved their entree and all but 1 person loved their dessert. That's a big win considering that even though there were 2 things that were not loved, they did taste delicious!! We all agreed that we want to go back there and maybe even spend the night in the inn!!!Special Features:
- luvittherealwaysagoodtimeDined on 6/3/2014I have been there many times and will continue to go back. It is a great place to dine. The food is Austrian/German and I have never been disappointed with a meal there. The waitstaff is always friendly and very helpful. The restaurant is also a B&B. I have not stayed there, but, have taken a tour. It is an old house that has a front porch to sit and dine on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible dining experiencebagammDined on 5/22/2014We had the good fortune to stay at the Vienna Restaurant and Historic Inn through a Groupon, otherwise we may have missed this wonderful experience! The Inn immediately felt like home and once we settled in we had a delicious lunch served by the charming daughter of the owners; it is family owned and operated and you can sense their pride in their attention to every detail. Our first sampling of the food was amazing to us because it surpassed most of the German/Austrian food we have ever had......this includes my German mother-in-law and dining in Germany itself. Chef Jonathan truly has a gift for creating dishes that delight the palate. Dinner each evening was a glorious experience and the desserts were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 24 reviews are from the Vienna Restaurant & Historic Inn reviews archive.
- Great place hidden in SouthbridgeBoston2IbizaDined on 5/18/2014Our first experience at Vienna was fantastic! We were running late for our reservation so they agreed to stay open late just for us! We had the whole place just to ourselves. Our server was incredibly cordial and attentive and the food was fantastic. My husband even found a new favorite beer! We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honorable, Honest OwnerMiMiDined on 5/18/2014There was a bit of a problem with service and I spoke to the owner who handled it in such an honorable way. We are completely impressed and grateful. The food couldn't have been better. The ambiance was perfect for a small family celebration and we look forward to returning again.Special Features:
- Excellent food, poor serviceDaveDined on 5/16/2014Vienna attempts to produce a feel of Austria, but a lot of the decor is just funky. The meal we had were excellent.b ut the staff were fighting with each other, which was bo th entertaining, but detracted from the nice meal. The veal was wonderful. I plan to return..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMickeysMindsetDined on 5/15/2014Although the servers were attentive, service was slow considering it was a rainy Thursday night. The restaurant is an older home with Austrian realia. Having eaten in many Austria-esque restaurants, I was disappointed not only in the quantity but in the simplicity of the fare. I choose this restaurant based upon the myriad of positive reviews others had given Vienna. Perhaps it was an off night.
- Favorite for Special OccassionsKMacVIPDined on 5/11/2014We've been here for Valentines Day, a Birthday (and stayed the weekend) and now Mothers Day. We've been well taken care of and well fed every time. German restaurants are hard to find in Central, MA and this is a very good one. For appetizers we ordered the fried camembert, Oysters Monte Carlo and Austrian meat dumplings. All were fresh and flavorful. The Alsatian Style onion soup has a rich broth with more flavor than a traditional onion soup. The house salad was dressed with a curry vinaigrette -- wouldn't have thought of using curry in salad dressing but it was delicious. Our entrees were Jager Schnitzel, Roast Duck and Braised Boar. Everything was cooked perfectly and the sauces complimented the meats well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little bit of Vienna in the USGvincelette22Dined on 5/10/2014I lived in Vienna for a number if years and have been looking for some good Austrian/German dinning. I was so pleased to find the Vienna, it is like the Inn has been plucked out Vienna and placed in the US. Food and service is impeccable. The boars shank is amazing. This has become our favorite restaurant. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealAlfieDined on 4/27/2014Our meal was FANTASTIC. the staff was friendly, outgoing, anticipating our needs and they had the fireplace going to take the chill off and make our room comfy and cozy. The food was DELICIOUS ,from the appetizer with wine cheese to the unbelievable pastries at the end of a filling yummy meal. Three of us had Weiner Schnitzel and one had Chicken Marsala. WE DID NOT LEAVE HUNGRY! We all raved about the meal with the sides of spaetzle and red cabbage. The coffee was DELICIOUS too. We were lucky enough to meet the chef and compliment his expertise in the kitchen. The décor is awesome. Great place for a romantic meal or a family and friends dinner.Special Features:
- Just simply lovelyLibbbyDined on 4/20/2014This is the second time we have been here for dinner. Food was outstanding. There is a special ambiance here. You feel like you are away on vacation and found a special place.Special Features:
- Unexpected surprisedinnerfor5ryansDined on 4/13/2014You have to try this European restaurant to believe it. Found this gem which is in a 100+ years old house, beautifully maintained while visiting family in the Southbridge area last Sunday afternoon . There were five in our party, 4 adults and a 9 year old boy. They have a nice children's menu so he also was very happy! The restaurant and Inn is owned by a family with a long experience in good food and lodging. We were served by the owners' daughter in a beautiful Bavarian dress. She was charming, helpful and excellent in her job. The dining rooms are lovingly decorated in various old European styles. The best part, of course, is the delicious choices on the menu including gluten free dinners and desserts. We will be back!Special Features:
- Great Night Outkimmik3Dined on 4/11/2014A total "experience." The service was great, and the food delicious, if a bit on the scant side (appetizer/welcome plate - the entrees were good-sized). Loved the décor and atmosphere - very "old-world" and comfortable with beautiful china. We were given a nice tour of the building, including the guest rooms, after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great European FoodKDSandKTSDined on 3/30/2014The restaurant setting and atmosphere was very Europan serving authentic European dishes which we were looking for. The menu was very extensive, it included German, Austrian, Hungarian and Swiss entrees. The deserts with marzipan and real whipped cream were a delight for the taste buds. For us this will be a special occasion restaurant, as the prizes were a bit high - but we will be going back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of the townfoodiegirlDined on 3/16/2014Even though the location may not be ideal, the atmosphere, staff, and food are divine! Tables are separated into rooms so the surroundings are never to noisy, but ideal for a romantic date night or enjoying a meal with friends or family. The music is relaxing. The staff is pleasant and will answer any questions you have about the menu & description of the food. The wine list is extensive. The beef entrees are tender & tasty. The smoked salmon & trout are presented sophisticatedly, and are perfectly delicious. The torte desserts with marzipan of various flavors are the most incredibly decadent & superbly delicious desserts we've ever experienced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic as always!wgdlwDined on 3/8/2014The food is fantastic, the servers are attentive; it is charming and unique and the co-owner Lisa is wonderful! The restaurant is 45 minutes from our house and it is worth the drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a surpriseSaxmanVIPDined on 2/27/2014I was travelling on business and this was the closest restaurant near the hotel. What a surprises to discover this charming, 200 year old Inn. It feels like having a special dinner at your Viennese grandmother's house. The place is beautiful and the food is authentic including the dessert and wine list. I would drive back to Massachusettes just to eat here again. They also have a few rooms which I'm sure fill up during the good weather seasons. The place is very quiet so use your indoor voice. Parking is tight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I ordered the beef stroganoff,tishDined on 2/23/2014I ordered the beef stroganoff, and was so looking forward to it. When it arrived, the meat was tough and I had to send it back.Special Features:
- What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/21/2014I came here on the recommendation of my mother and it did not disappoint. We had a lovely time chatting with the owner, who's husband is the chef. The food was delicious, buttery and spectacular. The desserts were truly authentic viennese. The menu is quite extensive with many fish and vegetarian offerings outside of the various meats and schnitzels. The friend that I dined with was just as amazed by the atmosphere, food and service. We both can't wait to go back this summer to sit outside and next winter to see how the beautiful victorian home is decorated for Christmas. One of the most memorable lunches I have ever had in the U.S.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romance and fine foodpinkyeatsDined on 2/16/2014Vienna is a restaurant that transports you to old-world charm and grace, with impeccable service and a lovely menu. Food and wine of top quality; you'll think you're dining in Europe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great afternoon diningSusanDined on 2/16/2014What a great afternoon dining experience, although a quiet evening with a loved one is definately worth the trip. Easy to find. Parking seems limited. The ambience was fine dining with a fire in the fireplace, art work was not overwhelming, and the service was great. It's run by a family making it homey. Portions were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dining ExperienceBchBmzDined on 2/15/2014We celebrated our 25th Anniversary at the Vienna. The ambiance was great-rooms full of antiques, fireplaces and lovely classical music helped to make the evening very romantic. The wait staff dresses in Dirndl and Tyrolean outfits. The service was fantastic. -very attentive but not obtrusive. My husband started with a Manhattan -which he said was made to perfection-THANKS Melissa! We share a bottle of wine from the extensive collection-with a variety of price points. The selection of dishes was very good. My husband had a traditional jaegar schnitzel and I chose the special Wild Boar. It was OUTSTANDING! We topped off our evening with coffee and dessert. From the wide selection we chose apple struedel and a blonde cake. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and authentic, brilliantskeepDined on 2/14/2014Friendly and authentic, brilliant food. Austrian cuisine a rare find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs some organizationJudiDined on 2/14/2014We waited a short time for reserved table which was fine but we were placed in a small dining room with a very large party and screaming children. This restaurant states it is romantic but the restaurant did not help us nor the one other couple also subjected to this inconsideration. The food was decent but over cooked which simply may have been because it was Valentines weekend. I suppose if I lived in the area, I might give this another chance but we drove 45 minutes each way...and spent dinner trying to get out of the noise. A lot of folks rate this fairly high. I just recommend making sure you call ahead and specifically request a quiet table or you may be paying a lot for a meal you will get no enjoyment from.Special Features:
- Incredible!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2014Never had a meal that was less than fantastic! The wait staff is friendly and knowledgeable. The building has character and charm that you wouldn't expect to find in Southbridge. I will go back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and UniquetspearsDined on 1/25/2014What a gorgeous location!!! I never knew that this type of restaurant existed in MA, never-mind Southbridge. The inn is a well-maintained neoclassical or Italiante home. It was snowing when we went, so we didn't have a chance to really check out the outside (although the manager did tell us that during the summer they have a biergarten and a nice sitting porch). We were sat at a window seat right near the fireplace; you'd be hard-pressed to find a cozier, more romantic setting. The food was authentic and tasty, and the service was gracious and cordial. The next time we go, we're going to stay the night; we were just blown away by the atmosphere, and the level of service!Special Features:
- Excellent Fine DiningVelocioDined on 1/11/2014This restaurant has the most delicious food, excellent service and warm atmosphere in a beautiful setting. If you want an elegant dinner out this is your place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.