1990 M Street
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.vidaliadc.com/
- Phone: 2026591990
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Closed until September 12, 2010
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Buben
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Vidalia is now doing off premise catering. Call Jacqueline Herrera for your special events.
A word from Vidalia
Chef/owner Jeffrey Buben's Vidalia features an expanded bar with 30 wines by the glass, a beautiful private dining room for groups up to 40 people, our wine room and a soft contemporary dining room featuring warm, rich fabrics incorporated in new booths, banquets and comfortable dining chairs. We look forward to seeing you and also invite you to Chef Buben's second restaurant, Bistro Bis, located next to the Hotel George on Capital Hill. Visit our web site at www.vidaliadc.com or www.bistrobis.com to find out more about both Vidalia and Bistro Bis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Vidalia - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Vidalia reviews from OpenTable diners
256 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (174)fit for foodies (172)romantic (119)notable wine list (62)great for lunch (59)neighborhood gem (55)good for groups (41)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- winefoodDined on 10/26/2014Consistently very good, but not outstanding experience. The menu seems to change little though I have dined there several times. The best thing I had was the macaroni and cheese side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- D.C. Dining DelightBJNJHDined on 10/26/2014My husband and I returned after a great initial meal that he had had at Vidalia…once again he was not disappointed, and neither was I. We ordered a variety of offerings from both the regular and chef's special menu via the tasting ordering/price. We enjoyed sensational presentations and appropriately sized portions for the 5 courses: cold appetizer, hot appetizer, fish entree, meat entree, and dessert. All were preceded by the chef's amuse bouche. No complaints in the food department. No complaints in the service department either: our server was attentive and knowledgeable, explaining the menu well and what we received. It was a pricey meal, but definitely high class all round.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014My husband and I had not been here in years. It was wonderful. I had the veal and my husband had the tenderloin special and we split a salad and pecan pie. The couple we were dining with had the same experience. We also shared 2 great bottles of wine The bar area looked cozy with all the couches and seating.Special Features:
- Southern Comfort Cuisinecbfly85Dined on 10/25/2014My husband and I came for dinner on a Saturday for my birthday, and we had the 5 course/$80 menu, so hard to choose, everything on the menu sounded amazing, but once we finally had everything picked out, and got our wine, the evening flowed very nicely. Jill was an amazing server, very nice and knowledgeable. Not only are the dishes tasty, but they look beautiful too. the plate ups have a lot of thought behind them, and they aren't just putting ingredients onto a huge plate with sauces that mean nothing. Everything about the foie gras plate up is perfection. And the chx fried sweetbreads over waffles and bacon fondue, hands down, the best dish of the night. Loved the birthday petit fours plate. We had a great time !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vidalia won't make you cryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Like the Southern root vegetable for which it was named, Vidalia was a sweet experience on many levels. The food and the service was better than any I have experienced in the Metro Washington area, and while not cheap, did not cost as dearly as some that are better known. The food was done to perfection, with seasoning that was complex and thoughtful, combining the best of Southern traditions and flavors. My duck was full flavored, succulent and tender. My partner believed that her pork tenderloin was the best she had ever had. Service was attentive without being intrusive, helpful without being snobbish. The manager went out of his way to make sure that we were happy. All in all the all dining experience could not have been better.Special Features:
- Good overall but a few lapsesChivisitorVIPDined on 10/24/2014First, the rye/maple cocktail was delicious and perfect for fall. The sweetbreads on waffles were very good, but the presentation was completely brown and not that appealing. That appetizer was substantial enough to serve as a light dinner. My partner enjoyed his Shady Lane salad. The lamb ribeye was surrounded by delicious dumplings and broth, but the meat itself was rarer than ordered and so tough and sinewy that it was almost inedible. My partner enjoyed his shrimp and grits. Service started out very attentive, but seemed to peter out after 9pm...to the point where we had to ask for more water. Our server disappeared for long stretches throughout the evening.Special Features:
- Excellent food, Exceptional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014We had their venison and coffee-rubbed tenderloin, both of which were amazing. But what set them apart was the exceptional service. They were very attentive to our needs and made our entire table feel very welcome. Will definitely go back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!PaddywhackedDined on 10/24/2014We were in town and wanted a nice romantic restaurant with great food. Reviews on Zagat were spot on. We opted for the chefs choice dinner and for him to pick the courses. Unbelievable food! We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vidalia--A Lunchtime TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014Beautiful presentation and food. We lingered after lunch and never felt pushed to vacate our table. Would love to return to try other dishes. Enjoyed the signature shrimp and grits--they did not disappoint! Would like to see the $19.90 lunch menu without extra charges for certain choices. Otherwise it's not truly $19.90!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect evening...mms216Dined on 10/19/2014Everything from the amuse bouche to dessert was exceptional. Our favorite courses were the fluke, duck and the sweetbreads. The wine selections for our tasting menu were well thought out and and paired beautifully. It is easy to see why this restaurant has been around for 20 years.Special Features:
- Sadly, never coming backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014A BAD start. I tried to enter the glass door; I struggled greatly as door is heavy and I have arthritis issues. 3 'staff' men (not waiters/busboys) in area by hostess were standing there; I know 2 of them watched me as I struggled!! They didn't move! I spoke to manager, one of the 3, about this. Ambiance looks SOOOO dated in every way, almost grim; fake/silk flowers dreadful. (We have dined at Vidalia over many years). Food was very fine with exception of fairly tough steak. Service and demeanor of our server were expert, warm and attentive. I will not return because of problems I mention but do appreciate one of the earlier 'onlookers' standing with the door open for me as we exited.Special Features:
- A fine restaurantMichaelDined on 10/17/2014Vidalia consistently delivers what we want: An interesting and eclectic menu, a place to bring international guests interested in great dishes not available at home, a good selection of wines (and beer) by the glass (the cocktails are celebrated), an ambiance that encourages quiet conversation, a bill that doesn't stun, and thoughtful, unobtrusive service.Special Features:
- Superior DiningKissMeCateDined on 10/13/2014Indulge in the tasting menu. Let the chef choose for you - he knows what's especially good that day. Give yourself 3 hours to fully enjoy the trancendent experience. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and can't wait to bring our friends.Special Features:
- Great experiencePyatachokVIPDined on 10/11/2014It was the first time and we were impressed almost with everything: outstanding service, very flavorful and creative food with "southern accent" to it (except of king crab agnolotti that was not that good and our wish to have more vegetables coming with the entrees), nice classy but cozy ambiance and a great value for what you get in case of tasting menu we both had. We are definitely planning to return. Great find for us in Washington, DC.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerdennynovaDined on 10/9/2014It was my boyfriend's birthday. He's a rather picky eater. I picked Vidalia because Jim Cecora works there. We both worked with and for him in previous incarnations. The food couldn't have been more delicious and the service couldn't have been more accomodating.Special Features:
- Finally Dined at VidaliaBirthdayGirlVIPDined on 10/9/2014Finally after almost 20 years made it to Vidalia for a dinner before a National Geographic lecture. The service was superb and the food was amazing. We split the crab cake appetizer so we could try one of the other amazing entrees. Shrimp and Grits were delicious as was the Branzino dish. Everything was perfect. We definitely will return and spend more time so we can try the special fixed price menu. The bread was also outstanding.Special Features:
- A good findAce1Ace2Dined on 10/9/2014Very imaginative preparation, excellent experience! Desert was particularly appreciated....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clone Server Jill!BellaDined on 10/7/2014As always, everything about my recent lunch at Vidalia was superb. It's difficult to imagine anything better. But this time we were rewarded with an incredible server, Jill. She managed to be highly competent & professional while remaining friendly, warm & welcoming. I had invited an old friend for a belated birthday lunch. He mentioned to Jill that we both had birthdays a few days apart and had been celebrating them together for the last 29 years. At the end of lunch, she brought birthday treats for both of us. If every wait person could emulate Jill in professional performance, consideration of the customer, and charm, we would all want to dine out every day. Thank you, Jill, and thanks, Vidalia, for another great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MDMWrigleyDined on 9/30/2014Husband and I went for dinner our first night in DC. Great staff. Attentive. Knowledgeable. Menu has wonderful selections. We did the tasting menu. It was wonderful! Not one item I would not get again. Sat at bar before dinner and bartender was very good as well. Would definitely go back and would recommend it to others as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special AnniversarySpecialThnxDined on 9/28/2014The staff at Vidalia went out of there way to make our night a special one. The staff were exceptional and the food was awesome. We received a special anniverary menu and desert tray that was very thoughtful and showed that they really cared and wanted us to have a great experience. We thought the ambiance was spot on and might classify it as casual elegance as we prefer restaurants that are more casual in nature and not over the top on the stuffiness scale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMeatyDined on 9/27/2014The food and service are impeccable. Everyone at this place is really on their game. It was a truly great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRavenDined on 9/27/2014Food is very good to excellent riffs on southern cuisine. Lemon chess pie still in a class of its own. Jill and the others on the waitstaff were top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of DC's finestskylonsevenVIPDined on 9/26/2014Vidalia is a DC treasure. Every dining experience at Vidalia is great, from the first course to the last. The service is wonderful, the ambiance terrific, and each bite as good as the next. I have been may times, and Vidalia maintains and often surpass their own high standards. Looking forward to the next time real soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genuine service and great valueHedgehogVIPDined on 9/24/2014Went for a birthday lunch with some colleagues. Not disappointed at all with quality of menu and selection. Something rare for East Coast....outstanding and genuinely sincere service. Very impressive as we were a little picky about our table and food. Definitely a must visit.Special Features:
- A consistent favoriteopentablereviewsDined on 9/20/2014great food and great service in a nice environment. Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and relaxingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/19/2014A quiet and elegant setting with fantastic food. Our service was a little slow, but everything else about the experience was so lovely--including some complimentary items the server brought because it was our anniversary--that it wasn't that big of a deal. If you go with the tasting menu, be sure not to eat anything else that day. I was so stuffed by the second entree course that we had to have it boxed up.Special Features:
- Met high expectationsFingCHDined on 9/19/2014We expected great things of the food, and were not disappointed. The service was above and beyond expectations, formal, with just the right touch of familiarity. Recommendations and wine pairings were perfect. A lovely birthday dinner.Special Features:
- Impeccably delightfulTheSasterDined on 9/18/2014The food was beyond amazing, have not had that delicious a meal in a quite some time. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Highly recommend this spot, I will most certainly be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wife's Birthday at VidaliaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Vidalia was highly recommended by my niece who lives in DC. We received a warm reception. The atmosphere was relaxing and well appointed. Our server, Larry, was the best ever. Very professional and pleasant. We received just the right amount of attention from all of the staff. We both had the shady lane salad(light and flavorful). I had the dry aged NY strip and my wife had the peppercorn crusted beef tenderloin. The pecan pie with bourbon ice cream was creamy and not too sweet. What a pleasant evening! Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale, great for visitorsWillVIPDined on 9/12/2014My mother was in town, and I took her to Vidalia for an early dinner with a same-day reservation. It was fantastic. The service was impeccable, and the food was original and tasty.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014Great food, great service and excellent ambiance for a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014It is so hard to find a quiet restaurant in DC. This is a perfect space if you enjoy some quiet conversations. The $20 three-course lunch special is definitely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/7/2014I've been to Vidalia several times and it is one of the top restaurants in DC. It is southern comfort food done in an elegant French style. Each course is creative and beautifully presented. Did the 5-course tasting menu this time and the highlights were a cold buttermilk soup with smoked scallops, and a rabbit loin wrapped in pancetta atop a nasturtium pesto! The service was also impeccable and the sommelier helped us pick a fantastic wine that was moderately priced. It was a 5-star experience from start to finish!Special Features:
- I love Vidalia !OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/2/2014I have been three times and it's been amazing every time. From the ambiance, food, and service come together for a complete experience that makes a special occasion even beter.Special Features:
- Yum!myWifeChoosesTheWineDined on 8/29/2014The southern-fried Sweetbreads with waffle & asparagus was wonderful! we both had the Quail and the truffle mousseline was delicious. My wife wasn't sure about the truffles but they assured us the flavor wasn't anything like 'truffle oil' and they were so right! It was amazing!Special Features:
- I hope dinner is better than lunchFoodoVIPDined on 8/29/2014We got the 3 course lunch and it was just awful. The food ranged from terrible (my dessert) to just not good (my appetizer). Perhaps it was an off day, I don't know. I don't get the impression that they treat lunch as an opportunity to impress patrons in the hopes they come back for dinner. The atmosphere was fairly bleak and somewhat depressing (it's in a basement). It felt like the year 1995 in there, before some of the staff was born.
- Yankee who loves the SouthFood4thoughtDined on 8/27/2014Not at all what I was expecting. I spend a lot of time in the the south. I eat a lot of southern food and love it. Vidalia offered a nice spin on southern classics. However, it was WAY too formal. I felt the restaurant was conflicted. It lacked the southern charm of the low country. The food was good. Nothing to rave about. The food (like the atmosphere) was too formal...its presentation, the fine dining spin, the service...all to formal for southern food. If Vidalia lost it's formality and embraced its southernness, the restaurant might fill its many empty tables. And no coconut cake on the menu! How does a southern restaurant not offer coconut cake!?! It is a southern staple.Special Features:
- Good but not greatDCDinerVIPDined on 8/27/2014I keep hoping for more from Vidalia and once again it was good enough, but nothing more. I've said before it really does benefit from a lack of high end competition in the area now that others are moving (or have moved) east.
- Lovely birthday dinnerCMW1Dined on 8/26/2014We returned to Vidalia after 5 years to find it still a wonderful place. The food is creative, the service excellent and most of all one can have a quiet conversation. Only difficulty is deciding which of the amazing dishes to order!Special Features:
- Not a great experience...ElleVIPDined on 8/25/2014Although I made the reservation a week in advance, we were seated at a lonely table in the bar, and not in the dining area. It felt like we'd been exiled. Our waiter rarely came by and we had to hunt him down to pay the check. Given that we at lunch during our work break, it was rather stressful. The food itself was good, though.