1990 M Street
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.vidaliadc.com/
- Phone: 2026591990
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Closed until September 12, 2010
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Buben
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Vidalia is now doing off premise catering. Call Jacqueline Herrera for your special events.
A word from Vidalia
Chef/owner Jeffrey Buben's Vidalia features an expanded bar with 30 wines by the glass, a beautiful private dining room for groups up to 40 people, our wine room and a soft contemporary dining room featuring warm, rich fabrics incorporated in new booths, banquets and comfortable dining chairs. We look forward to seeing you and also invite you to Chef Buben's second restaurant, Bistro Bis, located next to the Hotel George on Capital Hill. Visit our web site at www.vidaliadc.com or www.bistrobis.com to find out more about both Vidalia and Bistro Bis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Vidalia - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Vidalia reviews from OpenTable diners
248 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (169)fit for foodies (163)romantic (115)great for lunch (59)notable wine list (59)neighborhood gem (50)good for groups (40)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (6)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A perfect evening...mms216Dined on 10/19/2014Everything from the amuse bouche to dessert was exceptional. Our favorite courses were the fluke, duck and the sweetbreads. The wine selections for our tasting menu were well thought out and and paired beautifully. It is easy to see why this restaurant has been around for 20 years.Special Features:
- Sadly, never coming backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014A BAD start. I tried to enter the glass door; I struggled greatly as door is heavy and I have arthritis issues. 3 'staff' men (not waiters/busboys) in area by hostess were standing there; I know 2 of them watched me as I struggled!! They didn't move! I spoke to manager, one of the 3, about this. Ambiance looks SOOOO dated in every way, almost grim; fake/silk flowers dreadful. (We have dined at Vidalia over many years). Food was very fine with exception of fairly tough steak. Service and demeanor of our server were expert, warm and attentive. I will not return because of problems I mention but do appreciate one of the earlier 'onlookers' standing with the door open for me as we exited.Special Features:
- A fine restaurantMichaelDined on 10/17/2014Vidalia consistently delivers what we want: An interesting and eclectic menu, a place to bring international guests interested in great dishes not available at home, a good selection of wines (and beer) by the glass (the cocktails are celebrated), an ambiance that encourages quiet conversation, a bill that doesn't stun, and thoughtful, unobtrusive service.Special Features:
- Superior DiningKissMeCateDined on 10/13/2014Indulge in the tasting menu. Let the chef choose for you - he knows what's especially good that day. Give yourself 3 hours to fully enjoy the trancendent experience. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and can't wait to bring our friends.Special Features:
- Great experiencePyatachokVIPDined on 10/11/2014It was the first time and we were impressed almost with everything: outstanding service, very flavorful and creative food with "southern accent" to it (except of king crab agnolotti that was not that good and our wish to have more vegetables coming with the entrees), nice classy but cozy ambiance and a great value for what you get in case of tasting menu we both had. We are definitely planning to return. Great find for us in Washington, DC.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerdennynovaDined on 10/9/2014It was my boyfriend's birthday. He's a rather picky eater. I picked Vidalia because Jim Cecora works there. We both worked with and for him in previous incarnations. The food couldn't have been more delicious and the service couldn't have been more accomodating.Special Features:
- Finally Dined at VidaliaBirthdayGirlDined on 10/9/2014Finally after almost 20 years made it to Vidalia for a dinner before a National Geographic lecture. The service was superb and the food was amazing. We split the crab cake appetizer so we could try one of the other amazing entrees. Shrimp and Grits were delicious as was the Branzino dish. Everything was perfect. We definitely will return and spend more time so we can try the special fixed price menu. The bread was also outstanding.Special Features:
- A good findAce1Ace2Dined on 10/9/2014Very imaginative preparation, excellent experience! Desert was particularly appreciated....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clone Server Jill!BellaDined on 10/7/2014As always, everything about my recent lunch at Vidalia was superb. It's difficult to imagine anything better. But this time we were rewarded with an incredible server, Jill. She managed to be highly competent & professional while remaining friendly, warm & welcoming. I had invited an old friend for a belated birthday lunch. He mentioned to Jill that we both had birthdays a few days apart and had been celebrating them together for the last 29 years. At the end of lunch, she brought birthday treats for both of us. If every wait person could emulate Jill in professional performance, consideration of the customer, and charm, we would all want to dine out every day. Thank you, Jill, and thanks, Vidalia, for another great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MDMWrigleyDined on 9/30/2014Husband and I went for dinner our first night in DC. Great staff. Attentive. Knowledgeable. Menu has wonderful selections. We did the tasting menu. It was wonderful! Not one item I would not get again. Sat at bar before dinner and bartender was very good as well. Would definitely go back and would recommend it to others as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special AnniversarySpecialThnxDined on 9/28/2014The staff at Vidalia went out of there way to make our night a special one. The staff were exceptional and the food was awesome. We received a special anniverary menu and desert tray that was very thoughtful and showed that they really cared and wanted us to have a great experience. We thought the ambiance was spot on and might classify it as casual elegance as we prefer restaurants that are more casual in nature and not over the top on the stuffiness scale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMeatyDined on 9/27/2014The food and service are impeccable. Everyone at this place is really on their game. It was a truly great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRavenDined on 9/27/2014Food is very good to excellent riffs on southern cuisine. Lemon chess pie still in a class of its own. Jill and the others on the waitstaff were top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of DC's finestskylonsevenVIPDined on 9/26/2014Vidalia is a DC treasure. Every dining experience at Vidalia is great, from the first course to the last. The service is wonderful, the ambiance terrific, and each bite as good as the next. I have been may times, and Vidalia maintains and often surpass their own high standards. Looking forward to the next time real soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genuine service and great valueHedgehogVIPDined on 9/24/2014Went for a birthday lunch with some colleagues. Not disappointed at all with quality of menu and selection. Something rare for East Coast....outstanding and genuinely sincere service. Very impressive as we were a little picky about our table and food. Definitely a must visit.Special Features:
- A consistent favoriteopentablereviewsDined on 9/20/2014great food and great service in a nice environment. Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and relaxingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/19/2014A quiet and elegant setting with fantastic food. Our service was a little slow, but everything else about the experience was so lovely--including some complimentary items the server brought because it was our anniversary--that it wasn't that big of a deal. If you go with the tasting menu, be sure not to eat anything else that day. I was so stuffed by the second entree course that we had to have it boxed up.Special Features:
- Met high expectationsFingCHDined on 9/19/2014We expected great things of the food, and were not disappointed. The service was above and beyond expectations, formal, with just the right touch of familiarity. Recommendations and wine pairings were perfect. A lovely birthday dinner.Special Features:
- Impeccably delightfulTheSasterDined on 9/18/2014The food was beyond amazing, have not had that delicious a meal in a quite some time. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Highly recommend this spot, I will most certainly be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wife's Birthday at VidaliaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Vidalia was highly recommended by my niece who lives in DC. We received a warm reception. The atmosphere was relaxing and well appointed. Our server, Larry, was the best ever. Very professional and pleasant. We received just the right amount of attention from all of the staff. We both had the shady lane salad(light and flavorful). I had the dry aged NY strip and my wife had the peppercorn crusted beef tenderloin. The pecan pie with bourbon ice cream was creamy and not too sweet. What a pleasant evening! Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale, great for visitorsWillVIPDined on 9/12/2014My mother was in town, and I took her to Vidalia for an early dinner with a same-day reservation. It was fantastic. The service was impeccable, and the food was original and tasty.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014Great food, great service and excellent ambiance for a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014It is so hard to find a quiet restaurant in DC. This is a perfect space if you enjoy some quiet conversations. The $20 three-course lunch special is definitely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/7/2014I've been to Vidalia several times and it is one of the top restaurants in DC. It is southern comfort food done in an elegant French style. Each course is creative and beautifully presented. Did the 5-course tasting menu this time and the highlights were a cold buttermilk soup with smoked scallops, and a rabbit loin wrapped in pancetta atop a nasturtium pesto! The service was also impeccable and the sommelier helped us pick a fantastic wine that was moderately priced. It was a 5-star experience from start to finish!Special Features:
- I love Vidalia !OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/2/2014I have been three times and it's been amazing every time. From the ambiance, food, and service come together for a complete experience that makes a special occasion even beter.Special Features:
- Yum!myWifeChoosesTheWineDined on 8/29/2014The southern-fried Sweetbreads with waffle & asparagus was wonderful! we both had the Quail and the truffle mousseline was delicious. My wife wasn't sure about the truffles but they assured us the flavor wasn't anything like 'truffle oil' and they were so right! It was amazing!Special Features:
- Yankee who loves the SouthFood4thoughtDined on 8/27/2014Not at all what I was expecting. I spend a lot of time in the the south. I eat a lot of southern food and love it. Vidalia offered a nice spin on southern classics. However, it was WAY too formal. I felt the restaurant was conflicted. It lacked the southern charm of the low country. The food was good. Nothing to rave about. The food (like the atmosphere) was too formal...its presentation, the fine dining spin, the service...all to formal for southern food. If Vidalia lost it's formality and embraced its southernness, the restaurant might fill its many empty tables. And no coconut cake on the menu! How does a southern restaurant not offer coconut cake!?! It is a southern staple.Special Features:
- Good but not greatDCDinerVIPDined on 8/27/2014I keep hoping for more from Vidalia and once again it was good enough, but nothing more. I've said before it really does benefit from a lack of high end competition in the area now that others are moving (or have moved) east.
- Lovely birthday dinnerCMW1Dined on 8/26/2014We returned to Vidalia after 5 years to find it still a wonderful place. The food is creative, the service excellent and most of all one can have a quiet conversation. Only difficulty is deciding which of the amazing dishes to order!Special Features:
- Not a great experience...ElleVIPDined on 8/25/2014Although I made the reservation a week in advance, we were seated at a lonely table in the bar, and not in the dining area. It felt like we'd been exiled. Our waiter rarely came by and we had to hunt him down to pay the check. Given that we at lunch during our work break, it was rather stressful. The food itself was good, though.
- Dining PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2014We had an incredible evening at Vidalia. The service was impeccable , the food was perfection as was the attention to detail. We did the tasting menu and loved that they allow you to choose which items you would like in your tasting from their entire menu. There were three of us dining and we all chose different items which made the tasting really unique and wonderful. I would highly recommend!!!Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014this was the second time that we have been to Vidalia, the first being 18 years ago. Since that time, the decor has changed but the food remains excellent. There is less of an emphasis on the name sake onion, but the food remains delicious and well rounded.Special Features:
- Outstanding -- as alwaysJimWDined on 8/22/2014The food is always great but the service brings us back. Our compliments to the wait staff (especially Grace) for making us feel like we were the most important people in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 course tasting menu unevenGSPSDined on 8/19/2014Shady Lane salad great. Foie Gras so so. Golden tile fish outstanding. Branzino ok. Bacon wrapped rabbit outstanding. I asked for the lamb rib eye to be cooked medium. It arrived raw, hardly edible. It takes only one bad dish to ruin one's memories of an otherwise fine experience. I loved the elegant, quiet setting, attentive servers.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week DinnerdinerDined on 8/17/2014We came here for Restaurant Week 2014 Dinner to celebrate our 3 year anniversary. Vidalia added a personal touch of printing "Happy 3rd Anniversary!" on our menus. All of the food was delicious and the service was excellent. The noise level was low so you could hear the other person speak at your table without shouting. We will definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Complete Miss In My BookPaigeDined on 8/17/2014The first thing that turned me off is where the host seated us. He seated us at a table that was very close to two other tables on both sides. There was plenty of other seating in the restaurant that could accomodate us. We eventually were reseated to something more intimate. We ordered the shady lane salad. It was sparse with barely any onions, radishes, peaches, and pecans and the goat cheese was a smear on the plate. I attempted to order the tile fish; they were out of it. I ordered the braised ribs and my husband ordered the salmon. His salmon was cooked improperly twice and he finally settled on duck which was decent. The peach crisp was cold and barely palleable. I will not return to this establishment.
- Food reviewGinnyDined on 8/17/2014The selections were inconsistent in their quality. Most enjoyed was the beef ribs. There was nothing for us to rave about after such great expectations. although the service itself is tobe commended.Special Features:
- Service & Food, OutstandingEvnstnOneVIPDined on 8/16/2014We can see why they receive the Distinguished Service awards. Our server was knowledgeable, informative and attentive. Excellent wine and very good food.Special Features:
- One of the bestykchanDined on 8/16/2014I have a soft spot for this place. It was the very first restaurant I ate at when I moved to DC. I didn't know this was one of the best restaurants in DC at the time. I had just moved into my friends place 30 minutes before hand. I was sweaty and I was in jeans and t-shirt. Yet the service is wonderful - they didn't blink an eye and treated me like their usual classy clients. The food was simply amazing. Classic, refined southern cooking. Always with fresh ingredients and always with a nice twist. There's a reason why I go back at least 2-3 times a year since I moved to DC.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014The food and service was the best. Would definitley come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.