30 Mercer Street
Toronto, ON M5V 1H3Neighborhood:
Downtown / Entertainment District
Global, InternationalPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.victorrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (416) 883-3431
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch 11:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Global, International, Canadian
- Executive Chef: David Chrystian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Victor Restaurant offers an elegant and versatile catering experience via multiple private and semi-private dining rooms. From private dinners for up to 100 guests to cocktail receptions for 250 guests. Accommodating special events such as wine tastings, Iron Chef themed dinners, media launches, weddings and corporate parties. Off-site catering is also available.
- Private Party Facilities: Victor's private dining room is ideal for corporate dinners, day time meetings, private birthday parties and smaller cocktail receptions. The private room can hold up to 40 guests for dinner, 50 for cocktail and is equipped with it's own private bar, large screen TV and private washroom. Restaurant buyouts also available.
- Private Party Contact: Anna Leverty 4168833431x
- Cross Street: John St. & King St West
- Public Transit: Mercer St. is a one way street going West from John St. to Blue Jays Way. It runs parallel to King Street, one street South.
The closest subway station is St. Andrew Station at King St and University. The closest intersection and TTC stop is King St West and John St.
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: There are two public parking lots located on either side of Mercer St. adjacent to the Restaurant. Valet parking is available through the Hotel le Germain Toronto.
A word from Victor Restaurant
Victor Restaurant proudly presents New Toronto Neighborhood Inspired Cuisine, curated by Top Chef Canada's David Chrystian.Continued
Nestled off the lobby of Hotel le Germain Toronto, Victor provides guests the perfect setting to lounge, dine and entertain.
Nestled off the lobby of Hotel le Germain Toronto, Victor provides guests the perfect setting to lounge, dine and entertain.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Victor Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (16)special occasion (9)romantic (8)neighborhood gem (6)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)good for groups (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2014Great location, acceptable service but the food itself which was beautifully presented had poor taste.
- TheatreGoersDined on 11/16/2014The appetizers were good, but the main courses were not up to par with the prices. We were expecting alot better from a restaurant located in a well respected Boutique Hotel.
- AmazingEssenDined on 11/2/2014There really are not enough words to describe how amazing our experience was at Victor. Food was delicious. Service was above and beyond our expectations. Just go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014The decor is tired. We were going to the theatre so we selected from the a la carte section of the menu. The offering were uninspiring and upon delivery to the table we found the their quality to be mediocre - at best. The restaurant was not busy and yet the service was very spotty. There are far too many other high quality choices in the the theatre distirct to bother with this restaurant.
- Food is OutstandingThomVancouverDined on 10/22/2014We picked this place due to proximity to the theatre we were attending and also due to the reputation of the hotel it is located in. We were blown away. The room was relaxing, wine list amazing, food is out of this world and the service was perfect. The staff even coached us on food choices and they were bang on! It was simply one of the best meals we have had in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placejustforlaughsDined on 9/13/2014Cool atmosphere. Nice setting. Interesting menu, but nothing spectacular. It worked out well for us as we were heading to a show at Second City.
- Very unique dishesNickSVIPDined on 9/12/2014High quality food and excellent service. The portion sizes are smaller for the neighborhood themed menu. Great drinks. Great dining room set up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet BoutiquespukspukVIPDined on 8/31/2014Stayed in the hotel adjoined. Went in for drinks and was very impressed with the room and layout.Special Features:
- Iron ChefCreolesteveDined on 7/28/2014We took part in the Iron Chef option with the wine pairings and can't say enough about how wonderful a time we had. Yes it's pricey but where in Toronto are you going to get this level of a culinary experience. We challenged the Chef and his team with blackberries and were wowed by the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 72 reviews are from the Victor Restaurant reviews archive.
- Good But Nothing SpecialSMcFDined on 6/13/2014We had dinner June 13th, 2014. Overall, it was okay. For the price, ($300 for two) I was hoping for (and have had) better. Lobster salad arrived smelling fishy. The amuse bouche was excellent. Scallops and chicken dishes were good. Wine list disappointingly small.
- Great serviceCarpiquetDined on 6/13/2014The food was a mix of good and great. We had the pre theatre meal with the clam chowder (I think), braised lamb, and creme caramel dessert. The clam chowder and the creme caramel were great. Lamb was tasty but a tiny bit dry. We also got the pork belly from the taste of toronto menu. The piece that was moist was amazing but the other pieces were also a tiny bit dry. The service was amazing. Very attentive and they gave us two bowls of the chowder even though we only ordered one meal because we wanted to share everything. I would definitely go again. If the food had not been just a little dry I would have been blown away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealwarrenVIPDined on 6/12/2014Went with a business colleague . Had choices from their tasting menu representing some of Toronto's many ethnic neighborhoods. Each was delicious and unique with different flavours and textures. Excellent stylish place. Nice ambiance. Service friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedMickeyVIPDined on 5/30/2014There's really nothing negative to say about this quiet, but fantastic restaurant. From the initial greeting, to the cocktails, to the main event, everything is perfect. We were so well taken care of that we would have happily stayed on and missed our show - but the staff made certain that we left in sufficient time to make our show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High expectations - exceededMikeDined on 5/25/2014Based on other reviews and location (in the St. Germaine hotel), I had pretty high expectations prior to our dinner. I must say, that they were met or exceeded on every front. First, the space is wonderful -- eclectic surroundings; comfortable/inviting seating, high ceilings with windows from bottom to top, great lighting and décor. The service was excellent -- our server was very attractive (just saying), attentive, friendly, knowledgeable and spot on. We only ordered from the tasting menu (so named because they are dishes representing tastes from different neighborhoods/regions within Toronto) and each was wonderfully presented and tasty. Right size to share. Wine list was impressive without being overwhelming. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maitre'd was outstanding!AlbertinBermudaDined on 5/3/2014We arrived early and were greeted in a very friendly manner. What we took for the barman was very entertaining and knowledgeable about the area and Toronto in general. He made note of our needing to be out by 7.30 to attend local theater. Sorted out our drinks at the bar with a couple of personal recommendations. Seated us, and later helped with the wine selection. Staff such as this makes the dining experience very special!Special Features:
- Great pre-theater or concert diningPrairieGirlDined on 4/25/2014Finding great food that is not outrageously expensive in Toronto's theatre district is tough! Victor's was a lovely surprise - several interesting and eclectic (multi-ethnic) small dishes for sharing and some nice main course options. Also a pre-theatre pris-fixe option. Some terrific wines in the $60-80 range too. All in all a great experience - loved the food, wine and ambience in the Hotel Le Germain. Our waitress was quite inexperienced and couldn't do the math to split the bill between 2 credit cards, but the other wait staff were very professional. So give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service a bit slow - slightlytheatregoerDined on 3/22/2014service a bit slow - slightly inattentive given there were not many diners; food a bit salty - ; otherwise felt very welcomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, with a few exceptionsSageDinerDined on 3/21/2014Lovely attractive decor in a special boutique hotel in downtown Toronto with excellent attentive service and delicious food. Creative combinations of ingredients often with intriguing flavours, especially the sun-dried tomato and parmesan tart pallet-teaser. The chef is clearly top-notch. The appetizers and all entrees were delicious, except for my duck confit which was tasty but overly salty. One annoyance was that I had received no reply to my online question about the Iron Chef event sometimes offered. A simple reply would have straightened out the apparent misunderstanding, and we might have been able to take part in this very special dining experience. There is also no word of the Iron Chef offering on the website, a curious omission.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014The staff is very friendly and attentive. The food is great. Atmosphere is excellent as well. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very enjoyable experiencedebudaveDined on 3/14/2014My wife and I went for dinner on a Friday night and were so glad we did. The menu is small but unique. The Toronto Tasting Menu is a great idea! We had two of them as our appetizers but you could make a whole meal of them. He some list was quite good and reasonsbly priced. Our server, Erica, was great, friendly and knowlegable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this new discoveryPedroVIPDined on 3/14/2014This was our first visit at Victor's and what a delight! The food was excellent, imaginative, and beautifully presented, the service was delightful, and the overall atmosphere very relaxing. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good overallCinderellaDined on 3/1/2014My husband and I went there for dinner. My husband has strict low fat diet. The chef is very accommodative and prepared the dinner the way my husband wanted. I just found my con and clam chowder not as hot as I wanted to....I like my hot food very hot - especially soup. Otherwise, food and atmosphere is excellent. The Library next to the lobby is very cozy especially with the fireplace there. A drink in the Library after work will be a nice treat! Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was excellentnickelDined on 2/16/2014The service was excellent and the staff were very knowledgeable and patient. I agree with other reviewers that the restaurant signage could be more visible. I only realised the restaurant was directly beside the entrance of the hotel when I looked at the carpet and saw the name. I had the Little Italy and Little Portugal taster menus and they were pretty good. I found the squash in the dish a little salty, but not enough to ruin the taste of the dish. The gnocchi was well done as well though. The winter desert platter was probably the best dish of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!RockyDined on 2/15/2014Four of us enjoyed the Valentines tasting menu. Although we ordered our own wine, I think the pairing would have been great. The hotel lobby makes for a lovely entrance, and the restaurant decor is upscale and easy. The dessert course was truly heavenly! Really enjoyed the meal and the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatParttimefoodieDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I ate at Victor for Valentine's day dinner. The food was good but not as good as other top restaurants in Toronto. The Toronto Tasting menu was a lovely idea and we were very excited to try it. The paneer appetizer was alright, papadums were fresh and tasty. Lobster, chicken and chorizo dish was good, chicken lacked flavour however. Beef Tenderloin dish was ok; meat was a bit dry and not outstanding but mashed potatoes were solid. Food also came out barely warm, bordering on cold. Dessert was the best course...selection of chocolate bark, ice cream sandwich with shortbread and had interesting flavours of anise, cardamom. I am not sure we would return considering the mains were just good but not outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for two on date night.HBDGDined on 2/14/2014Took my girlfriend here for Valentine's dinner - my main goal was to get away from anything overdone and 'too popular' (O&B!). The restaurant is located in a hotel (Hotel Le Germain) and I suspect that's why it's so over looked, or possibly undiscovered completely. Personally I thought that was one of the best aspects. It's quiet enough that we didn't notice anyone around us, but not empty in the sense that no one was there. The food was great, both of us being big fans of Top Chef Canada knew what we in for. The menu offers a lot of great plates, some may not make sense with others but that's beyond the point - we enjoyed each dish on it's own. We didn't opt for the wine pairing, but the ones we did try were great - lots of selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to exceed expectationsMoffattDined on 2/10/2014Chef David Chrystian and the team continue to perform at a high level. Highlight was the bone marrow!! Dishes show great flair and skill. Service is knowledgeable and professional/friendly. Great cocktails continued to be offered by long term mixologist Nick. A definite must dine on anyone's list looking for a great meal. Thanks Chef and TeamSpecial Features:
- The four of us (2 couples)FoodiefunDined on 2/6/2014The four of us (2 couples) had a very enjoyable evening – the atmosphere is very soothing and relaxed, the staff are attentive, the food fabulous and we had great wines. We tried all 7 Taste of Toronto dishes, plus the Organic Beef Carpaccio. The highlights of the night for us included: Paneer Masala, Roasted Squash & Gnocchi, the Moroccan Lamb, and the Beef Carpaccio. Look forward to going there again soon and exploring the entrée's as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem in Theatre districttheatregoerDined on 2/1/2014far cry from formulaic, loud venues in Theatre district - yet still able to accommodate pre-theatre crowd efficiently. thanks for keeping noise levels down. Children gracefully accommodated but still pleasant for other diners. really good food - decent prices. we will come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over all average with poor ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/24/2014The food was average to good and the ambience started OK but given there were only 4 tables being used in the restaurant (and there are numerous) one would think they would seat the couple that came in after us at any other table than the one next to us. Not sure why they tried to cram everyone close together but it certainly impacted the ambiance of the place. Additionally, assuming because it is attached to a hotel the other couple of diners that came in had young kids with them, which proceed to run around restaurant/cry. This is certainly not the place to have a nice quite dinner for two!Special Features:
- Victor took such good care of usLoveVictorDined on 1/24/2014From the fantastic amuse-bouche to an exquisite desert, Victor delivered a brilliant pre-theatre dinner for two in about 48 minutes. We didn't feel at all rushed so they clearly took on all the hassles, quietly and behind the scenes. Newfoundland chowder, duck confit, grilled fish with chunky chips and homemade tartar sauce were all perfectly executed and delicious. We'll have to go back now and take our time enjoying this outstanding restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star neighbourhood tasting menuAlwayslookin4gudspotsDined on 1/15/2014Cool vibe in boutique hotel. There is a Toronto neighbourhood tasting menu - a sampling of appetizer dishes from TO's best ethnic food areas. Interesting dishes and very well prepared. Attentive staff, helpful and pleasant. Food is not that expensive but wine list is a bit pricey (even for upscale menu). Otherwise a great place for a special occasion and those who want some variety in their dining experience. Close to all the Entertainment District action.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor atmosphere.RickSladeVIPDined on 1/14/2014This is my second time here and both times the food has been fantastic but the restaurant has been empty. Its a shame that the owners do not make more of an effort to spread the word about this hidden gem. What a waste of a great chef!Special Features:
- Deserves more recognitionFuzzyBeaverVIPDined on 1/3/2014The restaurant is surprising small so it makes for nice atmosphere. Erica, our server, was really friendly and provided outstanding service. She really knows the menu and their wine list so was very helpful. You can order the tasting menu items individually at a very modest $14 each. These are huge helpings so 2 or 3 gives you a big meal. Lots of unique items to choose from. They have a really outstanding wine list that has been carefully chosen and includes items you will not find anywhere else. The blackened fish with home-made chutney was especially good. We will try to get back to try other things on their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting to say the least....TablehopperVIPDined on 1/2/2014The menu my date & i experienced was not exactly the everyday norm that one would expect to find which is the reason we both decided on the restaurant but once we arrived, we had a little difficulty finding the place since it's tucked on a small side street at the base level of a hotel with no sign visible unless you knew where it already was...as the night & the dinner began, we were impressed with the cocktail menu but we were conflicted on the waitstaff since our primary server seemed off-put on having to serve us but the bartender seemed very open, easy-going and knowledgeable about then entire menu...as for the food, it was very well prepared albeit a tad interesting like the warm bone marrow but overall I enjoyed the whole meal.Special Features:
- really nice placegolferDined on 12/8/2013my wife and I had dinner there to celebrate our anniversary. Service was excellent with very friendly staff and food really good, especially their Lobster Bisque. Quiet spot and cozy atmosphere. We really enjoyed ourselves and a very good meal.Special Features:
- WonderfulGlggalDined on 12/6/2013Lovely place, best beef tenderloin in a very long time. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodAnnetteVIPDined on 11/1/2013Great location if you're going to the Princess of Wales Theatre or Second City. The service is great and they make sure you're out in lots of time for the theatre without feeling rushed. The restaurant is attached to Hotel Le Germain so it's also great for a late night drink and snack. Great recommendations on wine too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedDining4twoDined on 10/24/2013Went to Victor for our anniversary on a Thursday night. It was quiet with only 2 other parties in the restaurant. Modern and intimate setting though the large TV screens playing sports over the bar distracted from the otherwise stylish decor. Service staff were very attentive. We ordered 5 dishes. Three from the Toronto neighborhood menu, and 2 appetizers. The sushi pizza was very interesting and tasted great, a refreshing take on a sushi standard. The scallops and sauerkraut was an interesting dish the came together remarkably well. The "Little Italy" gnocchi was the most flavorful dish of the evening. I would highly recommend it. Overall, we enjoyed the evening, and felt that a lot of the reviews we read online were overly critical.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were very intrigued bykitkatDined on 10/19/2013We were very intrigued by the menu options and would definately return! Our favorites were Little Italy and Leslieville part of the toronto tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.