Viand Bar and Kitchen
155 E. Ontario
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Viand Bar and Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.viandchicago.com/
- Phone: 312-255-8505x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon. - Fri. Breakfast 6:30am - 11:00am
Lunch 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar 8:00am - 11:00pm
Sat. Breakfast 6:30am - 12:00pm
Lunch 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar 8:00am - 11:00pm
Sun. Breakfast 6:30pm - 12:00pm
Dinner 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar 10:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mariela Bolanos
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire regarding catering your offsite events. Viand also caters to the adjacent Courtyard Magnificent Mile which can host all of your business meetings, holiday parties, cocktail receptions, and much more.
- Entertainment: Check out upcoming events, promotions, and entertainment at www.viandchicago.com/calendar/index.php
- Special Events: Please visit http://www.viandchicago.com/book.php for inquiries on private events!
- Cross Street: Ontario and Michigan
- Public Transit: .5 Blocks away from CTA Bus Route 3, 10, 145, 146, 147, and 151.
4 Blocks West and 2 blocks North of Grand Red Line
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: Parking available in Courtyard Chicago Downtowon Garage on St. Clair bewteen Ohio and Ontario Streets.
A word from Viand Bar and Kitchen
Situated in the electric Streeterville neighborhood, Viand Bar and Kitchen offers an oasis of serenity. Indulge in a time-honored meal infused with the multicultural heritage of Chicago. Wholesome, fresh ingredients are prepared and served by a passionate staff, and you may even find the Executive Chef herself making sure patrons are enjoying their meals. The bold flavorful dishes celebrate our love for the city and its culinary traditions. From outings with family and friends, a Saturday night date or even a company gathering, this hidden gem is a wonderful place for any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Viand Bar and Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (8)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (6)neighborhood gem (6)special occasion (4)fit for foodies (4)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- good but off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014we found the restaurant available on Open Table. The staff was very nice and mostly attentive. Our table seemed to be in limbo a bit as tables seated after us were done with their meal much quicker. When we received our food, it was good. Appetizers came out quickly, but entee's were intermittant. 2 received their entree quickly, but we had to wait 3-5 minutes for the 3rd. a few of the items on the regular menu were not available, but substititions were offered and good. chicken fingers were very good. Salmon special was very good. Chicken with risotto was also very good.
- Belmont dinerPumpRoomFanDined on 10/18/2014The service was wonderful, starting with the hostess - who took very good care of our group of four, especially when she discovered we were celebrating a birthday. the [breakfast] food was wonderful, the noise level was conversation-friendly, and we had a delightful time. I have always had a good experience at Viand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Slow service.lunchtimeDined on 10/16/2014The food was tasty. I went with a group of 9 people for lunch. Was fairly empty when I went, which was good for us because we didn't have to shout to each other while conversing. The space is large. Decorated nicely. The service was slow, though. The waitress was very nice, however, she didn't take our food orders until 30 minutes into sitting us at the table. The food was prepared quickly so I guess that kind of makes up for it. I didn't have any major issues with the restaurant and would dine there again.Special Features:
- DeliciousDebbVIPDined on 10/13/2014My group of 4 had a wonderful meal. We all enjoyed various salads to start and our main courses ranged from the salmon to burgers. All of us enjoyed our meals. The restaurant is beautiful the servece professional and food delicious but is was sparsely filled with guestsSpecial Features:
- Definite YESbsidesDined on 9/5/2014Met a friend after work on a very rainy, stormy Friday night. We had lots of catching up to do and since weather obviously impacted guest level, we were able to tie up a table for three hours ... and management as well as our server was more than accommodating! I would imagine on a less weather impacting night this would be a hot spot ... food was delicious; service exemplary; entertainment quite fitting for the locale.Special Features:
- Excellent eve!AnitaVIPDined on 8/20/2014The salmon entree' and veggie/potato accompaniments were superb! Loved the $7 (dirty) martini special on Friday night - a really reasonable treat! Service was friendly and patient considering my guest & I were engrossed in conversation so took longer to order and linger than normal.Special Features:
- dsmdinerDined on 8/8/2014The restaurant was mostly empty when we arrived, so the service was very attentive to our needs. The menu is pretty limited -- we both wished there had been more options when choosing our entrees. However, our food was very good. We had the whitefish and steak, and both were seasoned and prepared as requested. The side of baked mac & cheese was good, though not worth paying extra for. The best part of the meal was the live musician they had playing guitar during dinner. Overall, Viand is a good place to go if you're looking for somewhere quiet and relatively quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulLazarusDined on 7/12/2014This is the worst restaurant ever. My dish of salmon tasted like a bag of salt. Upon telling my waitress she just smirked and continued her duties. The service itself was lackluster to say the least. I paid my bill and even left a $10 tip on a $30+ Bill. I wouldn't take my dog here for a meal. My meal was never addressed and I left feeling so bad. Avoid this place. I was the only patron on a Saturday evening. I should have known
- The following 159 reviews are from the Viand Bar and Kitchen reviews archive.
- Quick and okDFIDinerVIPDined on 6/13/2014Needed to be in and out for theater and they did that without any issues and without feeling rushed. Server was a sweetheart, but made a couple mistakes. Limited, but varied menu. Pretty empty for a Friday night, but it was early. Inside a Marriott Courtyard, but separate entrance keeps if from feeling like part of the hotel. Open and airy space. Bacon wrapped shrimp as a starter was very good. Rest was okay, but nothing special. Decent prices for the area.
- Carmelo'sCarmeloDined on 5/30/2014The food and music in the bar was great. Loved the shrimp warped in bacon. Some of he old songs that Ron sang was great listening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurpriseDebbVIPDined on 5/28/2014Although it was very quiet with only a few other tables filled, my group had a wonderful dinner. Among our choices were the beet salad, tomato bisque, salmon and pork tenderloin. All were incredible. I have already told whomever will listen to go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An intimate private roomGrayVIPDined on 5/27/2014Imagine a round wine cellar, just off the main dining room, where you pull the pocket doors and have a quiet oasis in the city. THAT is Viand. And, after a visit or two, it's like the Cheers bar; everyone knows your name and welcomes you back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delicious night outPhyllisDined on 5/17/2014We selected this restaurant based on convenience and menu selection and the food exceeded my expectations by far. Everything was delicious and the food combinations were creative but simple. I look forward to returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Overlook This RestaurantExperiencedDinerVIPDined on 5/14/2014You might be tempted to overlook this restaurant in a Courtyard hotel. Don't succumb to that temptation! Although the menu and wine list at Viand are not extensive, the quality and tastiness of the foods are excellent and worthy of a visit. We enjoyed a delicious flatbread appetizer with mozzarella, tomato & lightly roasted arugula. Our whitefish entrees were exquisite. The desserts, cherry crisp and bread pudding, we're fresh and tasty. Our servers were friendly and committed to making our dining experience enjoyable. Yes, one may seek out higher priced, gourmet restaurants in this neighborhood - and we have many times. Viand is the place to choose when you are craving comforting, well prepared Midwestern cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!PePeDined on 5/9/2014Resturants such as this one is exactly why I swear by Open Table! All around perfect!Special Features:
- MichaelDined on 5/2/2014Excessive loud music from bar spills over to restaurant area (in same room). Spoiled an otherwise fine dinner.Special Features:
- A gem right off Michigan Avenue!GrayVIPDined on 4/15/2014Viand, just past Garrett's popcorn, off Michigan on Ontario, is a gem. High quality meats, name brand bar items, and great serviceSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood gem...FoodJagVIPDined on 4/13/2014We cannot believe this place is not packed. Great food, excellent food, reasonably priced. This place is a real bargain. Why there are not lines out the door confounds us. Innovative food, well presented and delicious.
- Not The GreatestKonquorerDined on 3/29/2014We were a party of 3. Ambiance was pretty nice just a little to open and gave the feel of upscale banquet hall. I ordered the duck with the lamb and mashed potatoes. Duck was great with reduced apricot glaze. However the lamb was terrible it was the size of a 5year olds hand tough with no flavor. What was really disappointing is the waiter offered no resollution. Wife ordered talapia, was very good. Daughter ordered ravioli, it was good but really rich. Waiter forwarned as such.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ExperiencecmariepDined on 3/28/2014Highly recommend checking out Viand. This is a great downtown restaurant that just happens to be in a hotel. Our group of 10 had the private wine room which was perfect for our special occasion. Bar menu offered many fun and trendy cocktail options. We all enjoyed trying new things. Lemon Ginger martini and Moscow Mules were the favorites. Service was phenomenal. The menu offered a choice to meet everyone’s expectations. Prix Fix menu was a very reasonable surprise at $33 for three courses and several in our group choose this option. Beet Salad and Carrot soup were the most talked about starters. For entrée’s the Mahi Mahi with Curry and pork tenderloin were the favorites. Dessert was a delicious chocolate tart with a pistachio mouse.Special Features:
- My hunter's duo was a deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014My hunter's duo was a delicious entrée and the beet salad a wonderful start. My guest had the prix fixe menu and found her steak, soup and dessert to be a delight. The service is relaxed and the atmosphere is is candle-light romantic in the evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valentines Day MenuAMBERAVIPDined on 2/14/2014We had a really good experience hear on VDay. Service was prompt and knowledgeable, Lobster Bisque was delicious and our main courses (Ribeye and Amish Chicken) were both excellent. The only thing holding back the 5th star was a subpar dessert, raspberry twinkie and the panna cotta both went half eaten. We will definitely be going back!
- recommend w/some reservationsdendlesDined on 2/8/2014While our entrées were tasty and well prepared, the server would have been wise to not bring out the over heated depleted looking rolls to start. Perhaps that isn't always the case, but it should NEVER be the case. Didn't particularly care for the large open room. We were there on the early side (6 p.m.) on a Sat. evening, and while things picked up some before we left, it was never full. The noise level was energetic in large part due to a big party that came in together and hung out at the bar. Not sure how it would be without that. Our main server was very pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week StopspartansaraDined on 1/29/2014Stopped in with a group of coworkers for restaurant week. The food and wine pairings were delightful. The blood orange panacotta was a perfect end to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Years secretiliceDined on 12/31/2013Went for a four-course New Years meal. Everything was excellent! Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchSydneyDined on 12/30/2013Place was perfect, nestled right off Michigan avenue. Great food, service and almost hidden... It was quiet and we were able to have a lunch and learn without any interuption.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & fun little party roomJax72Dined on 11/29/2013We had dinner with a group of 6. We were seated in a separate little party room (wine storage). We loved having our won little space and had a great time. We opted for the prix fix dinner of 3 courses and we all loved our entrees! The cocktails were delicious. The music was great. A musician played all kinds of great songs on his guitar. Love it and will definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thanksgiving!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/28/2013I was patting myself on the back for selecting Viand Kitchen and Bar for Thanksgiving dinner. I'm a person that loves variety, but without chaos and that's exactly what they delivered. Salad and dessert buffet, but a plate entree. Perfect! And, don't let the term buffet think wrong. It was more like a salad table and a dessert table. Best thing was the chocolate fountain. I only wish the items to dip in the chocolate would have been better. The cake and rice krispies were tough. The chocolate itself was excellent. The waitress was funny and friendly. I'm not sure of the position of the guy in the suit that helped my indecisive Mother on a drink choice, but he was just fantastic. I truly felt like this was a fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedAlandDined on 11/28/2013Reserved on Thangsgiving day, and was advised when we arrived that the very limited Thanksgiving menu was the only choice. After I questioned why this was not clear when the reservation was made, they offered to open up the kitchen to cook whatever we wanted from the regular menu. We decided not to put them through that exercise and ordered from the Thanksgiving menu. Salmon was just OK with little flavor. What was stated on menu as "grilled sirloin" turned out to basically be a slice of either roast beef or possibly prime rib - which was well done when I ordered my "grilled sirloin" as medium. Overall was OK, but would not go again...
- Thanksgiving gemLDPHDined on 11/28/2013We had our mid-day Thanksgiving meal--perfect! Salad bar, dessert bar, and several entree choices. Services was excellent and the food yummySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The steak was horrible. IAG84Dined on 10/23/2013The steak was horrible. I coul barely chew it becasue it was so bad and had fat veins all over.
- Really GoodfoodieDined on 10/11/2013For an appetizer my group ordered the flat bread and it was really good. Everyone except for me got the half order of ravioli and they didn't even finish the 5 because it was so rich but it was really good. I had the burger and that was really good and they have great french fries and onion rings that come with the burger. When we arrived we were seated in a private room which was really kinda cool and we could still hear the live music. Our waitress was really helpful and nice, friendly and made good recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No identity/good food/emptyILoveGoodFoodVIPDined on 10/9/2013Empty, less a business traveler dining alone and an elderly couple. a sign of how Viand is apparently not the place to go to. Too bad, since the food is actually pretty good. avacado appetizer was even better than it sounded on menu - light and fresh, incorporated all flavors well. ravioli are sinfully good, though a bit on heavy side with the cream sauce. Mahi Mahi dish is nicely prepared inducing both indian and latin food memories. Can't recall fish itself being outstanding but rest of the dish made it fantastic. Wine list limited, but decent prices. Don't go here on a date, to impress, or to kick off a fun night. But next time you just need a good meal and the top new restaurants are all booked, know you can always go to Viand.
- Nothing spectacularmtoledosDined on 9/3/2013My and my wife went there for our first month anniversary. The restaurant was empty (4 people sitting by the bar), and still the waiter put us on the worst, tiniest table they had. Besides that, the service was pretty decent and the food was quite tasteful. But as the title of the review says, nothing outstanding, compared to other great restaurants in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, for us, not a recommendation.
- CELEBRATING 40TH ANNIVERSARYLolaphatDined on 8/30/2013Excellent place for small group celebration. Our children treated us for our 40th anniversary to this place. It was walking distance to our show at Navy Pier. Four people in our group and we all loved our dinner. The appetizers are fabulous and their staff are young and friendly. Very clean, decorated well, nice ambience and just the right space. Next to Starbucks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/20/2013I was traveling for work and decided to try out this restaurant in the Courtyard and was surprised with the quality!! I had ordered the Filet Mignon with chimichurri sauce and the food came cooked perfectly and tasted amazing. The staff was very attentive and I can't wait for my next business trip to return to this gem.Special Features:
- Ok experienceNickyDined on 8/2/2013I took my friend there for her birthday. The food was ok not bad just ok. I ordered my steak medium & they over cooked it & it took a while for me to get another one but when I did get it, it was perfect. The service was a little slow & our waitress was not that attentive & it was not that busy. But overall it was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only So SoOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/19/2013We booked this reservation due to the advertised salad and stir fry specials on Fridays. I was very surprised when we walked in that the restaurant was almost empty at 1:30pm on a weekday. It is only a block off of Michigan Avenue. The rolls were very stale and not edible. All three of us had the salad special and two were good, one was quite bad. Also, it was very hot outside and the restaurant was not as cool as it should have been.
- AwesomeElliottDined on 7/5/2013I've lived in Chicago for 2 years and this is the best meal I've had. Great spot. So underrated. Get there, you won't be sorry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great experienceMuledaddyVIPDined on 6/18/2013Wow, read a review abut this place on Zagat's which recommended as good, fresh, hearty midwest/american food. It did not disappoint. Great location and really great food. Our party had the filet, striped bass and chicken-all were spectacular. The chef visited the table and she was really great to talk to (nice touch). Ended with some homemade ice cream and the flourless chocolate cake-best I've ever had. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.