Viand Bar and Kitchen
155 E. Ontario
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Viand Bar and Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.viandchicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 255-8505
- Hours of Operation:
Mon. - Fri. Breakfast 6:30am - 11:00am
Lunch 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar 8:00am - 11:00pm
Sat. Breakfast 6:30am - 12:00pm
Lunch 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar 8:00am - 11:00pm
Sun. Breakfast 6:30pm - 12:00pm
Dinner 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar 10:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tyler Nelson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire regarding catering your offsite events. Viand also caters to the adjacent Courtyard Magnificent Mile which can host all of your business meetings, holiday parties, cocktail receptions, and much more.
- Entertainment: Check out upcoming events, promotions, and entertainment at www.viandchicago.com/calendar/index.php
- Special Events: Please visit http://www.viandchicago.com/book.php for inquiries on private events!
- Cross Street: Ontario and Michigan
- Public Transit: .5 Blocks away from CTA Bus Route 3, 10, 145, 146, 147, and 151.
4 Blocks West and 2 blocks North of Grand Red Line
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: Parking available in Courtyard Chicago Downtowon Garage on St. Clair bewteen Ohio and Ontario Streets.
A word from Viand Bar and Kitchen
Situated in the electric Streeterville neighborhood, Viand Bar and Kitchen offers an oasis of serenity. Indulge in a time-honored meal infused with the multicultural heritage of Chicago. Wholesome, fresh ingredients are prepared and served by a passionate staff, and you may even find the Executive Chef herself making sure patrons are enjoying their meals. The bold flavorful dishes celebrate our love for the city and its culinary traditions. From outings with family and friends, a Saturday night date or even a company gathering, this hidden gem is a wonderful place for any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Viand Bar and Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (8)great for lunch (7)neighborhood gem (7)great for brunch (6)fit for foodies (4)romantic (3)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- The food is good and reasonablyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/3/2012The food is good and reasonably priced for the neighborhood.
- Great food with great presentation.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/27/2012Great food with great presentation. There should be a waiting list to get in here. The food was excellent and priced fairly for the area. A little known gem in the heart of Chicago.Special Features:
- This is in our neighborhood,ScotVIPDined on 3/21/2012This is in our neighborhood, we finally tried it, and it's quite good. The food was very tasty.
- The food was great but serviceZinaDined on 3/16/2012The food was great but service was sub par.......the hostess was not there to greet us when w got there, our water was warm and even though it was empty, they wanted to seat us in the weirdest spot. However the food was amazing! Oh my goodness the food was definetly tasty.Special Features:
- Great breakfast menu, theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2012Great breakfast menu, the reason why I say Viand is great for brunch is the breakfast menu doesn't disappear until 10:30 am~~ Highly recommend Granola~~~Special Features:
- Although located in the CourtyardBabsVIPDined on 3/7/2012Although located in the Courtyard Marriott hotel, this restaurant is truly worth going to even if you're not staying there. I had the cheeseburger one night; with great French fries...given the neighborhood, a tremendous bargain at about $9. Next night I had the salmon, and although it was a little overcooked (I asked for medium) it was moist and excellent. This is a very nice place to dine, alone or with a group.Special Features:
- An absolute gem! FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/2/2012An absolute gem! Fantastic food perfectly prepared sea bass and excellent sides as well. The chef was very interested in the customer's opinion. We were so pleasantly surprised that we highly recommend this hidden gem.Special Features:
- Great service! Our groupChicagogirl92VIPDined on 2/25/2012Great service! Our group of 4 really enjoyed our meal. Ate off the restaurant week menu and we were not disappointed. Will visit again.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceJessDined on 2/24/2012The wine was great, the food was delicious! I was truly impressed all around by this restaurant...I can't remember the last time I liked everything about a place, seriously. Thank goodness for restaurant week or I would have most likely never have found this gem!Special Features:
- Much to our surprise had aOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/17/2012Much to our surprise had a great dining experience. the food including all 4 courses was wonderful, waitstaff and management very attentive. Will recomend and likely return.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2012The food and service were just great. We will look forward to the renovation as a more inviting atmosphere would greatly improve the experience. Dining out is the whole experience is important to us.
- I made reservations basedRootDined on 2/14/2012I made reservations based on customer reviews so was a little taken aback when i saw that the restaurant is connected via a lobby to the Marriot Courtyard on Ontario. It was Valentine's day so I looked at my date and thought: hmmm is she going to want to go in. Glad we did. We both had filets and the meat was excellent, cooked perfectly for medium rare taste. Salads were big and tastey. We split asperagus which was perfectly cooked as well. Wait person was attentive but not hugely intrusive on our valentines dinner.Special Features:
- There was basically nobodyCompose4LifeVIPDined on 2/3/2012There was basically nobody there because we had a very late reservation, which was nice because we didn't have to fight to have a conversation like some places. The place was nice, and I don't have any complaints, but it was not especially memorable for some reason (which might be because I was in the beginning stages of a month-long sickness). I had the Beef Tenderloin Tower, and it was quite delicious. Overall, a nice dinner experience.Special Features:
- We were the only party largerSatisfiedVIPDined on 1/31/2012We were the only party larger than 1 or 2 in the restaurant; service was unreasonably slow and inattentive. Prior visits were better but disappointing this time. Food was good but didn't make up for the service shortcomings.
- Group of 10 Bday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/21/2012I went to celebrate my 28th birthday and had a blast! Our server was professional and very accommodating to our group of 10. I used the open table save 30% RSVP and saved 150 dollars. I am so glad I went here. The food was not only amazing but it was considerably cheap compared to others in the area. Our server gave us three free desserts because of our bday occasion. I would recommend Viand for small and large groups. I loved it!!Special Features:
- Our Server, Matt, was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/21/2012Our Server, Matt, was wonderful. It was my birthday weekend and he made it GRAND! Even though I was a bit late to my reservation for a larger party, Viand's hostess and Matt were awesome towards my party.Special Features:
- We just stopped in for anAYJYVIPDined on 1/17/2012We just stopped in for an evening drink and dessert. Everything was wonderful! I wish the fireplace on the other side of the restaurant was connnected, this restaurant needs a fireplace.Special Features:
- Our family group of eightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/17/2011Our family group of eight was seated in the quiet wine room. Everything was just perfect. The wait staff was wonderful. We were very pleased with this new restaurant.Special Features:
- This just gets better andTracymanningDined on 12/10/2011This just gets better and better every time. My all time favoriteSpecial Features:
- Overall, the food was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/3/2011Overall, the food was good and the service was very good. The ambiance good be improved because the place was too bright and reminded me of a Denny's. The steak and white fish were very good. The gelato was disappointing. The pita bread was awesome; the bread melted in your mouth. The place was quiet which was nice to be able to have a conversation.
- We had a very good meal atKiarmuidDined on 12/3/2011We had a very good meal at Viand with service that was as good as the highest end restaurants. Yana was very helpful and very knowledgeable re: gluten free items. The steak and fries were wonderful; the filet was cooked perfectly and so were the crispy fries. My wife got the small ravioli plate and caesar salad and both were very good. Yes, it is a hotel restaurant, but it for the location and the price it was a nice find.Special Features:
- Good food and service plusOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011Good food and service plus great salad and bottomless dessert bar.Special Features:
- The food was well prepared,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011The food was well prepared, with much effort going into presentation. The salad bar was very appealing with its wide variety of colors and textures. The dessert bar left no-one wanting with its artfully prepared goodies. To say the main courses were delicious would be an abominable understatement. They were fabulous, and very well portioned. The waitstaff were especially pleasant and prompt, and appeared genuinely pleased to be there serving. The overall atmosphere was befitting a fine restaurant for gentlemen out with their ladies. The quiet, yet partylike crowd truely enjoyed themselves this evening.Special Features:
- Great Thanksgiving Day dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/24/2011Great Thanksgiving Day dinner! Would definitely go back again!Special Features:
- I LOVED Viand American Bistro!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/24/2011I LOVED Viand American Bistro! I went there on thanksgiving and I had a wonderful meal with my family. I am planing on another visit there, stay good!Special Features:
- We was there in thanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011We was there in thanksgiving and a have to say !perfect! Great place, nice people and good foodSpecial Features:
- We went for Thanksgiving dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011We went for Thanksgiving dinner. The turkey, stuffing and potatoes were fine, but the veggies were awful. The green beans looked and tasted like they were out of a can. The dessert bar had a lot of offerings, but nothing special. The salad bar was the best part of our meal. Our server was very nice but couldn't answer basic questions about the food.
- Excellent food - tasty andOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/18/2011Excellent food - tasty and well-presented. Wait staff was helpfull and accomodating.Special Features:
- average all the way around.AnotherSteakPlaceVIPDined on 11/12/2011average all the way around. location good and comfortable but it needs that indefinable something that separates the very good and exceptional
- We reserved the private wineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/12/2011We reserved the private wine library for a special occasion. The room was the perfect size for our party of eight. The waiter and staff were always courteous and accommodating, although the service was very slow. One of the duck dishes came out too rare, and the waiter was apologetic and prompt in rectifying the situation. The food was outstanding and the prices very reasonable for the quality of food served. Overall, a great evening. I recommend Viand and will be back myself.Special Features:
- Viand - A Good FindGReatFoodDined on 11/5/2011Viand was a fine experience, with great food and wonderful service. The diverse American-skewed menu was easy to understand and great for a range of picky eaters. The bar was lively as was the atmosphere, with excellent low lighting for a romantic evening or a group outing. The ravioli was awesome, as were the cocktails.Special Features:
- nothing special for my birthday,ChrisLovesDiningOutDined on 11/4/2011nothing special for my birthday, food was ok, but staff were very nice and it was quiet enough for us to talk and enjoy our dinner.
- Appetizers were fine. BothOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/4/2011Appetizers were fine. Both our meat orders were to be medium rare; they both came out medium well. the staff was extremely courteous in giving us a new order and comping our wine. The second order was closer to medium than medium rare. We liked the ambiance, the wait staff was great; maybe the chef was just having a bad night.
- Viand was a terrific find.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/2/2011Viand was a terrific find. Both the food and service were wonderful. No sighs from the service staff because we do not drink or that we like to share starters. Our server Nicholas was a delight. Right around the corner from NW Memorial so convenient after a trip to the doctor.Special Features:
- So-SoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2011Had a good broad menue and wine selection and the food was fine. Not great, merely fine. Regular menu prices were acceptable but we got a 30% off discount so I was quite satisfied. I suspect Chicago has better restaurants in this price range and I know Evanston does. Being in a hotel the restaurant fulfills a need and convenience but we were not staying in the hotel so my needs were different. Waitstaff was very friendly and curtious but not knowledgeable or assistive.
- Food was very good. Our waiterZubesDined on 10/22/2011Food was very good. Our waiter was helpful in explaining the dishes and specials.Would recoomend this resturant to friendsSpecial Features:
- the food was actually goodGenevaskiVIPDined on 10/14/2011the food was actually good but not great. Pretty average and maybe good but not much more than that. When I go out to eat, I will expect more, especially for their prices. The pot stickers we ordered for an appetizer for the table were very salty and too "saucy". The steaks ordered at the table were also a bit too salty. Mussels were quite good.Special Features:
- Lowkey atmosphere, but foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2011Lowkey atmosphere, but food was delicious and well presented. Service was excellent. Would definitely return on next trip to Chicago.Special Features:
- Friendly staff, tasty comfort foodrhubarbloverDined on 9/24/2011Very efficient and always friendly staff. Tasty, well prepared comfort food with some flair. Music (vocalists singing standards, jazz etc) was to my taste but too loud for unwinding after business day. (It was Saturday so not really a business day for the rest of the world!) If I were there for pleasure vs. business I would have enjoyed ths it more.
- Great Meal and Great ServiceRonnieVIPDined on 9/16/2011There was no waiting time to get into this restaurant as compared to some other places in the vicinity. The staff were very friendly and efficient. They even gave my son a free plate of cheese, turkey and crackers because they thought it would take fairly long to get his food prepared - which was only a few minutes. Food was tastey and the $30 for 3 courses was a good deal. All in all it was a pleasant and not too expensive dining experience.Special Features: