6340 N Lincoln
Chicago, IL 60659Neighborhood:
North of Foster / Rogers Park
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.viavenetochicago.com/
- Phone: 7732670888
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday: 11:30am - 9:30pm; Friday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; Saturday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 1:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Tony Barbanente
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Custom Menu serving authentic Italian Cuisine.
- Private Party Facilities: Via Veneto can accommodate parties 25 - 200. From intimate groups to elegant parties, we are even the perfect setting for business meetings with microphone and screens available for presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Tony Barbenente 7732670888
A word from Via Veneto
Via Veneto offers authentic Italian cuisine. Family owned with affordable prices. Voted one of the top 10 Restaurants in Chicago by the Sun Times and Tribune.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Via Veneto reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (7)special occasion (5)fit for foodies (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great find!JARoyVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were looking for an Italian place not far from where we live. This popped up on Yelp and we were not disappointed. The spaghetti and meatballs was a comfort meal come true and the lemon spaghetti was a new fave. Spumoni hit the spot!Special Features:
- JeanVIPDined on 7/6/2014Food always good and love the traditional look but the music played overhead is at odds with both. I don't go to a classic italian restaurant and want to listen to bad pop and/or dance music. They should play opera or italian standards or classical music or jazz.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/14/2014My husband said he had the best lamb he has ever had.
- One of my personal favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014The service is awesome when the owner and his wife recognized frequent customers. The food is always delicious and the wine selection is good. Great place to treat my wife for our anniversary and any other occation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DawnMDined on 5/8/2014We were there at 5:00, so there were only a few other diners. The service, (our waiter, Tim) was excellent. He offered welcome suggestions for wine and entrees. The food was delicious with generous portions.Special Features:
- The following 290 reviews are from the Via Veneto reviews archive.
- Started out ok, but then went southColonVIPDined on 5/3/2014Had a reservation for four. Seated right away. The bread was placed on the table quickly along with oil and vinegar and Parmesan. Bread was crispy and warm. Salads were large portion and tasty. Entrees were very disappointing. Two in our party ordered the papedelle bolognese. It was awful. Very tomatoey with meat. Clearly no carrots, celery, onion or cream. Just tomato sauce and chunks of meet. The Branzino was the same way. The fish tasted like it had been frozen and was slathered in tomato sauce. The winning dish in our party was the porcini risotto which was quite tasty. Desserts were ok. Won't be going back.Special Features:
- Easter Sunday LuncheonMayfootDined on 4/20/2014We did not intend to do the Easter Brunch. From what we could see, the selections looked quite extensive. Children were eveywhere. We chose to dine in the restuarant off of the menu. It was adequate.Special Features:
- Fine dining, moderate pricesberkshireDined on 4/19/2014If you want a moderately- priced meal that's not a part of a big franchise empire of restaurants then Via Veneto is your kind of dining. The service is great, empty bottles and dishes are quickly removed from the table and wait staff checked in often and paid attention to our dining needs. The food is very good and the presentation is suitable as well. So support this local business that is somewhat obscurred in its location but hopefully can draw many diners from the surrounding neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodPaulBDined on 4/13/2014I've been here many times. I am always inpressed. Authentic Italian cuisine. I will be back.Special Features:
- The food was good, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/23/2014The food was good, service a little slow, they weren't in a rush to get us to leave. One meal was late, and they gave us a free tiramisu. It was large and the best we have ever had. everyone was nice. They kept our waters and drinks filled.
- Opera NightJamesADined on 3/21/2014We had a fantastic dinner on Friday. It was opera night. The branzino was delightful. Save space for the salted caramel cake or the semifredo as both are excellent. As a note, while they are singing, keep the conversation down. Angela is always my favorite server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very friendly and accommodatingJudyDined on 3/2/2014Very friendly and accommodating staff. Great food - different and varied selections for ravioli dishes! Went Sunday at noon - very quiet and comfortable. Hardly knew there was a party happening on the other side of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brought friends here for theirHappyBosnianVIPDined on 2/22/2014Brought friends here for their first time and they loved it. Turns out their family is from the same region of Italy as the Barbanente family, which brought on a lively discussion of mutually-known friends and families. Another reason why going to Via Veneto is a great experience that goes beyond the terrific food and attentive service. Grilled octopus and calamari, pistachio ravioli, tortellini carbonara, zuppa de peace and chicken park were all great, as usual. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HAH - Restaurant ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/16/2014Via Veneto is a classy place, attentive service with a variety of wines, but the food lacked taste.Special Features:
- Wonderful SurpriseEvanstonFam3Dined on 2/14/2014I'd left it late to book a table for Valentines Day and found Via Veneto on Open Table. I'd never eaten here before so it was a gamble. Boy did it pay off. The food was amazing, downtown calibre cuisine up North and at a fair price. So enjoyed our evening - everyone from couples to families and big parties added to a lovely ambience. Loved it! I tried the Gorgonzola and pear parcels - to die for yum!Special Features:
- Fabuloso, food has alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Fabuloso, food has always been fantastic. Service was good. We went on Valentines day so it was really busy. The owners a constantly walking the floor to see if you need anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day dinner wasHappyBosnianVIPDined on 2/14/2014Valentine's Day dinner was very nice -- even on a night that can be dicey for restaurants. This is one of our favorite go-to places and we had the usual experience: friendly and helpful staff, very enjoyable food and a nice place to sit and visit for a couple of hours. We will return shortly with friends and are looking forward to having the "other" items we did not order this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyDonnaDined on 2/14/2014We dine here at least 3 times a month and have never been disappointed. The staff if attentive and knowledgable of the wine list. If you can't decide on an entree, just ask your server. You won't be disappointed in their selection. The tuna and Chilean sea bass are my favorite.Special Features:
- phillyPhillyVIPDined on 2/3/2014Via Veneto is always a good reliable restaurant to eat at..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemCarrieDined on 1/25/2014This family owned restaurant is not very impressive from the outside, but the food is authentic, homemade Italian. The menu features Italian "staples", as well as more contemporary dishes (Ahi tuna, Scallop risotto, etc..). Servers, as well as owners, provide attentive but not intrusive service. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We brought friends for theirHappyBosnianVIPDined on 1/4/2014We brought friends for their first time at Via Veneto because the food, the service and the staff make the evening a sure thing. The menu offers a wide variety of scratch-made Italian delights and the specials were particularly interesting, Pasta and seafood are always well-executted and creative -- one of tonight's was a pistachio-filled ravioli in a surprisingly light cream sauce. Our guests were glad to have experienced Via and we all agreed that a return visit was in order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great find!AK47Dined on 12/2/2013I was looking for a restaurant in this area to meet a friend for dinner and took a chance on Via Veneto, where I had never been. It was great! The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. Don't miss the Flourless Chocolate Cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something is MisingVitorioDined on 10/25/2013Long time ago, this was one of our favorite restaurant. However, the restaurant was locate at Peterson Ave. Since they move to this location on Lincoln Ave they have not been the same. They have more space and the location have the potential to be great, but something is missing. The food is not the same. My guess is that they a different cook; the presentation lacks the gourmet style of the old rest.Special Features:
- Via VenettoSteveDMDined on 10/21/2013We went on a Monday night so it was rather quiet. The food was fantastic. I had the pumpkin Lasagna which was tasty. We also had the grilled Calamari and Tiramisu for dessert. Nice neighborhood run family restaurantSpecial Features:
- Taste of Italy!!BigAlDined on 10/12/2013If you're looking for a nice family oriented, quiet, with great food and where the staff is extremely friendly, well then head out to Via Veneto. On our recent visit we begged our 14 yr old to accompany us and at 1st she did not want to go because she is a very picky eater and thought she would not like the food. To my surprise she finished her entire chicken with broccoli, green beans, potatoes and a really awesome sauce dish and still had room for a tiramisu. I had their lasagna and I must say it was just as delicious. Honestly you can't go wrong and if you're lucky you might even learn a few italian words as the lady that waited on us was speaking in Italian to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian FoodMela526VIPDined on 10/5/2013Food is quite authentic as owners are from Italy. It is served piping hot as it should be. The sauces are very tasty and you can tell made in an italian way. Service is quick and very friendly. They have a menu that is quite larger than most Italian restaurants I have been to. There is alot to choose from. You will enjoy it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were the only ones in thedori19Dined on 10/5/2013We were the only ones in the restaurant on a Sat. for lunch. Seemed to be no employees either. One person was washing the floors as well as seating people, taking orders and maybe cooking as well! Very odd. Food was ok - nothing special.Special Features:
- HookedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2013An eggplant aficionado, I am hooked on Via Veneto's Melanzane Ripiene!Special Features:
- PhillyPhillyVIPDined on 9/11/2013This was the 1st time at this restaurant and the food was very good as well as the service. I will be going back again.Special Features:
- 4 bad mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2013Fish was filled with large bones. Are veal was so tough I needed a steak knife, taste was bad too.Special Features:
- Another fine time at thisHappyBosnianVIPDined on 8/9/2013Another fine time at this family favorite. Friendly and attentive service. Well-executed dishes from both the basic menu and the weekly specials. Very pleasant and comfortable dining room. Mid-range pricing with good value. All in all, a terrific family-run neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Always OutstandingBird1218VIPDined on 8/2/2013Dining at Via Veneto is consistently excellent. We're noticed many new, highly creative dishes appearing. We thoroughly enjoyed the squash blossoms, the peach, arugula and provolone pizza, and our beautiful pasta with squash, zucchini, and grilled shrimp (we asked for the addition of the shrimp), and our artichoke and fennel salad. Everything was very fresh and beautifully flavorful! We noticed that the banquet rooms were set up for a wedding -- lucky bride and groom -- it was magnificent! We particularly appreciate that we are able to dine al fresco, and bring our well-behaved dog -- very Italian, indeed! Come home to Via Veneto -- its always excellent!Special Features:
- Abbondanza ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2013Generous portions, attentive service, a bit pricey. Spaghetti and meat sauce was disappointing, but other selections were quite good, including mushroom ravioli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2013Nice place to eat. Can be romantic, for groups and family friendly. Its a nice environment, good ambiance and decor. Service is great. The prices are pretty standard, but you get a good portion for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ravioli is their thingFoodVIPDined on 5/25/2013Ravioli with pistachio and mascarpone was delicioius. It had the perfect amount of sweet and savory. They have several ravioli dishes on the menu, all homemade. It must be what their known for. Their martinis are colosal. On the down side they touted a lemon lobster linguini special which was good, but nothing special. However, the rub was that when the dish came out the pasta was capellini, not linguine. We laughed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Molto BelloBird1218VIPDined on 5/17/2013We recently returned from Puglia, Italy, and were seeking the "real deal" in Chicago. Via Veneto is it! Authentic, fresh, complex flavors, beautifully prepared! Try the pistachio ravioli - amazing! We are dog owners/lovers, and the patio welcomes our (well-behaved) dogs to join us for dinner. We feel that we are visiting beloved Italian family when we dine at Via Veneto!Special Features:
- The food was excellent. However,RickCDined on 5/11/2013The food was excellent. However, I came in with a large gathering, and the obvious attention paid to each dish made the wait for entrees extraordinarily long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again, we had a thoroughlyHappyBosnianVIPDined on 5/7/2013Once again, we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. This family-run and customer-friendly restaurant has been our longtime go-to for Italian. Its menu and kitchen are particularly strong in seafood and past, while offering a wide variety of other feel-executed dishes. Service is always attentive and helpful when special requests are made. When we take friends here for their first time, they always ask to come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WEST RIDGE'S ITALIAN PARADISEDOMINGUEZ4245Dined on 5/7/2013In spring 2012 I moved into the West Ridge area and had driven with my partner Joe many times. He had been wanting to eat dinner at this spot. We were truly joyed at the interior designing, pictures from Italy, great service, tasty martinis and of course. The very authentic Italian cuisine. My partner lived in Venezia, Italy for four years and felt the food was done the way he had had it in ITALIA. We will see you soon when we return with family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/27/2013Great food, great service, another memorable night at the best Italian restaurant in town. Via Veneto does everything right. Can't wait to go back again!Special Features: