79 Park Plaza
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.viamattarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6174220008
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 11:00pm; Café: Monday – Saturday: 11:30am – 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Schlow
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Via Matta
Centrally located in the Back Bay, Via Matta offers authentic Italian cuisine with attentive quality service in a comfortable setting. Compliment your meal with a selection from a wine list featuring an extensive offering of Italian wines. Via Matta’s Café serves a lighter menu from late morning through late night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Via Matta reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)great for outdoor dining (22)neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (16)special occasion (15)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (9)romantic (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014good food nicely served. Staff friendly and professional .prompt service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LacklusterFoodieDined on 10/16/2014I was very disappointed this time. When bread brought to table and oil placed in a saucer to be shared, no bread and butter plates- we had to request them.Food temp was lukewarm. Had 2 apps to start- I love eggplant and server answered that they were lightly fried - not true and they were very darkly fried which seemed to me that oil was old! The shrimp app had no flavor and again not hot. Tagliatelle bolognese very good but lukewarm and I like my food piping hot. Dessert menu was uninteresting. Disappointed.Special Features:
- outstanding!ClementineVIPDined on 10/14/2014Once again, an amazing meal. I brought an out of town guest, and Via Matta made me look good! The burratta, as ever, was off the charts. Every single thing about the meal was perfect, from food to service to ambiance. A+++ Via Matta, thank you!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Spaghetti aglio et olio is highly recommended, and so does tiramisu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014hadn't been to via matta for several years - still a great spot - food - location - and general overall ambianceSpecial Features:
- SteveDined on 9/9/2014We have been here many times. The food was very good but the portion size was small leaving my 22 year old son looking for more when he had finished his meal.Special Features:
- Recommend Via Matta...LynneBVIPDined on 9/5/2014Have been dining at this Restaurant from the beginning and always consistent.Special Features:
- Wonderful MealBruceDined on 9/3/2014Via Matta was a wonderful dining experience. From the minute we entered, the service was superb. Our waiter, Vicente was most cordial, attentive and extremely knowledgeable about the menu items, almost as if he was involved in the cooking! The manager came over to us and other tables a couple of times to insure that we were enjoying the food and although it was nice to be attended to it was really unnecessary since the food was absolutely fantastic. The creativity of the menu choices and the mix of different food types makes this restaurant stand out out among its peers. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!EssNEmmDined on 8/29/2014We got the chef's tasting menu this past weekend and were completely amazed by the imagination and beauty of each course...to say nothing of the taste!!! We didn't even speak for most of the meal because we were mesmerized by the flavors! The service was excellent, and the ambiance of the place was very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian qualityPastaloverDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed a wonderful dinner withpasta dishes cooked perfectly. The wine we ordered was no longer on stock but the alternative offered was very good. The light level in the restaurant was so low that I had problems reading the menu.Special Features:
- Great food but service not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/15/2014Went to Via Matta with my family on our way to a Red Sox game. Arrived for dinner early at 5:30pm. The food was really excellent but the service was lacking - slow and not very attentive especially since we were one of very people thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ellie4youDined on 8/6/2014My friend and I selected Via Matta for an early dinner prior to jetting out of town. The server knew our time constraints, and was extremely accommodating including packaging our desser to go in our car to the airport! The food, as always, was outstanding and the entire dinig experience way above many fine restaurants in Boston. Bravo!Special Features:
- Great Flavor- Too small amountsgabbyDined on 7/26/2014I will say the food was excellent in the presentation and flavor...... BUT ... I say it again BUT the portion was ridiculous I kid you not I was served 3 pieces of lamb the size of an old dollar coin it was ridiculous with an ounce of collar greens 3 dime size slivers of onion and a smear yogurt mint sauce... iam going to be honest I laughed at our plates the portions were smaller that the appetizer I don't want to go there... and the price for the food portion IT IS RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE... I think the owner should be embarrassed.... this was no meal it was like an oderve presentation ... Again and the portion of food for $33 dollars is this is some kind of JOKE... We Will never go back to such a ridiculous experience...Special Features:
- Flexible chefOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014One member of our party had a very restricted diet, and the chef did a great job adapting to his needs. Our server forgot some of the special requirements (failed to mention that a salad had cheese on it, causing us to send it back to the kitchen), but the kitchen itself was extremely flexible, and the food was spectacular.Special Features:
- Great food but terrible serviceFoodieDined on 7/24/2014We went to Via Matta for dinner. The food took maybe an hour to come out and there were maybe three people circling our table. The service was terrible. The restaurant was empty and they would take forever to do simple things like give us bread, take our order, ask us if we would like to see a wine menu, etc. basics. Overall the service was complete bogus. If the food wasn't so great I would never recommend this place. However, the pasta was phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still impressive...jharwarDined on 7/21/2014I used to work in Park Square and frequently lunched at Via Matta so when out-of-town colleagues arrived Monday and asked me to recommend a restaurant near the Four Seasons I realized there are lots of big box style eateries in that vicinity and very few locally owned restaurants that I knew would be reliable. Via Matta was just right on all fronts. Highly recommend the lime basil Gimlet and service was impeccable. All in all, a tasty meal well served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great mealAudsfVIPDined on 7/17/2014So nice to sit outside on a nice summer night! Service was excellent and food was very good, fresh home made pastaSpecial Features:
- Time to hit reset?BRFadeVIPDined on 7/11/2014Had a nice dinner @ Via Matta on the patio area on Friday evening. Menu had a few good items, pasta choices were good but other entree choices were limited and overpriced, like $35 for local striper? and waiter was great too. But like many past visits, it was very quiet with very few other guests indoors and out. Comparatively, we went to Row 34 last night and had an awesome experience, great food, great buzz etc...Via Matta needs some new ideas or something to get back into past groove. Remember Pignoli?Special Features:
- Creative CuisineOut4dinnerVIPDined on 7/11/2014We dined on the cozy outdoor patio on a warm summer evening; my fish with quinoa and beans was delicious, my husband enjoyed his chicken Milanese as well. The wine was perfect and our server was attentive and friendly, what more can you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under-appreciated Italian gemMrTravelwellVIPDined on 7/11/2014I love the food at Via Matta and its a mystery to me that they aren't as busy as some of the other restaurants in the area. I like the fact that their menu describes the entrees without a dozen adjectives (which usually presages someone trying too hard).. what you see is what you get at Via Matta and it always tastes good ....I love their Veal Milanese, their slightly spicy meatball appetizer, the Tagliatelle Bolognese and their Italian bread is always perfect. When you order Tiramisu at Via Matta you get a slice of the classic Italian cake not something scooped into a Martini glass that looks elegant but disappoints as it does in so many places locally.Special Features:
- billchinVIPDined on 7/1/2014I have been going to Via Matta for many years. Staff has completely since 5 years ago. some inconsistency with the food but tonight's meal was very good. crunchy eggplant, tuna sashimi, chicken milanese, and a dish with a thick pasta, sausage, peas and beans. the pasta was excellentSpecial Features:
- Good, butBubblyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Them restaurant was empty, not as much fun without other diners.Special Features:
- The following 967 reviews are from the Via Matta reviews archive.
- Pleasurable diningKathyTDined on 6/26/2014This was my first time at Via Matta. Food and wait staff was exceptional. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor city diningcrucaroDined on 6/21/2014Wonderful dinner, nice wine list, fabulous service - but most of all - so nice to dine outdoors in the city and not feel like its in the city. The location is quiet and clean. Great time had by all in our party!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/6/2014Absolutely awful. The ambience is old art with frames tipped sideways and run down furniture. The waiter told us that we should order all our food at once because he wasn't sure when he'd have time to get back to us. The clam appetizer was so salty, we needed a jug of water to stay dehydrated. I ordered the lamb cavatelli and it tasted like plain, boiled pasta with pulled lamb on top. When I sent it back, all the waiter did was say 'awe, that's too bad,' but still charged us for everything. Thank goodness we had a gift card - we will never return to this restaurant again.
- Won't go backArleneDined on 5/10/2014My dinner was good but the other 4 members of my party were not so lucky! Had to ask for bread plates, butter, & oil well after the bread arrived. Service was slow in spite of the fact that the place was not very busy.
- Very good food. Great service.VavaleeDined on 5/9/2014We enjoyed our food very much. Service was excellent...very attentive but not intrusive. Menu descriptions understate what you actually get (and differ from what's on their website). Tagliatelle with bolognese sauce was very good, with a rich spiciness. Chicken mattone was served in a tomatoey broth/sauce that was delicious. Fresh ricotta starter was a simple concept, but executed well. Prosciutto was also very good. The wine list is expensive, with the cheapest bottle $40. Place was a bit dark. Lively crowd on a Friday night, but you could still have a conversation without shouting. Location conveniently close to Theater District. Would return for another visit and would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Great food, inconsistent portionRichDined on 5/7/2014Food is great, and ordering the pizza isn't a mistake as it is in many restaurants. Portion sizes vary a lot - order the sandwich, and expect a half baguette and a huge plate of fries. Order the ravioli, and 6 perfectly cooked and sauced pieces of pasta will come, at the bottom of a large bowl. All the food is good, but ask the staff how big the portions are.Special Features:
- Mediocre, a bit weirdbutterpatDined on 5/3/2014While it may be the best option for a nicer dinner in the Theater District, Via Matta is not great. Their website promises seasonal specials, and a "very Italian" atmosphere, but there were no specials the night we went (a Saturday) and very American top 40 was just blasting. Service was awkward, from the hostess who was unable to lead us to our table, to the wait staff who were unable to fill all two of our water glasses. Food was just OK. My friend had a great whiskey, and I had a great vermouth, so maybe they should just be a bar?
- Nice overallLisaHDined on 4/30/2014The food was really good. We had to wait for the waitress a lot, especially considering the place seemed pretty empty. But she and the manager were both delightful. And the food and wine. Yum. We will be back.Special Features:
- Five-Course Surprise HitCaileanDined on 4/28/2014I tried this off a Living Social voucher and needless to say I was very impressed, especially with their ricotta and their fettuccine with clams. I'd definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed ReviewCatsCatchDined on 4/28/2014A friend was staying at the Park Plaza, so I made reservations across the street at Via Matta. We had the burrata app and it was delicious. The crunchy eggplant seemed to be lacking in flavor though. Entree choices were the Tagliatelle alla Bolognese and Cavatelli with Lamb. The Cavatelli was memorable! Delicious. We shared the Tiramisu for dessert. It seemed watery to both of us. We were in no hurry and told the wait staff. The restaurant was less than half full however 6 times different waitstaff stopped by to clear our table. They were attentive but we said we were taking our time. We finally got tired of saying we were fine and gave up! We ended up going back to the lobby of the Park Plaza to sit and talk.
- Great diningMJFinDined on 4/28/2014Excellent food , friendly service, great ambiance in the Back Bay areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mix of hits and missesBetsy1224VIPDined on 4/22/2014Despite being a regular restaurant-goer and the restaurant's reputation, I'd never been to Via Matta until a friend suggested we meet there for dinner. The first surprise was why I couldn't get a 7 p.m. reservation on Open Table as the restaurant was empty when we got there for our 6:30 reservation and only half full by 7:30. We ordered three appetizers. My friends raved about the eggplant dish. I had the squid in tomato sauce, which was out of this world, but the burrata appetizer was almost tasteless. I was disappointed in my salmon main dish, but I don't blame Via Matta as Italian restaurants rarely do anything impressive with salmon. We shared an exquisite mascarpone and chocolate cookie dessert.Special Features:
- Great Italian RestaurantMarathonManVIPDined on 4/20/2014My daughter and I are from the SF Bay Area and were visiting Boston last week. We ate at Via Matta the night before the Boston Marathon. The service was friendly and efficient and the food was excellent. We shared the crunchy eggplant appetizer, which was delicious, and each of us had a fresh and tasty salad. My daughter had the mushroom ravioli and I had the spaghetti with tomato sauce. Everything was perfectly done. Even though spaghetti with tomato sauce may not seem like a terribly exciting dish, this was one of the best tomato sauces I have ever had--a perfect combination of tartness and spiciness. I highly recommend this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful serviceYYCrunnerDined on 4/20/2014I was looking for an Italian restaurant in the Back Bay Area close to my hotel for some carbo loading before the marathon and found this gem. Friendly service and very attentive without being over bearing. While also trying to hydrate, my water glass was constantly being refilled. The tagliatelle with bolognese was excellent and the serving size was perfect- not heaping. For dessert we had a fantastic affogato and the best tiramisu I recall having in awhile. Wonderful meal- highly recommend. I will be back next visit to Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointed in via mattaeatinpdxDined on 4/19/2014we waited 20 minutes for a table, despite having a reservation. we sat at the lackluster bar, waiting for our table, which was the only place we received attentive service. once we were seated for dinner, our waiter barely acknowledged us; never even checked to see whether we enjoyed our food. and it took him 15 minutes to give us our check after we asked for it. yes, it was a busy night at the restaurant, but that doesn't excuse the poor service. the food was fine, but not worth going back for. will not return to this supposed "hot spot."
- delicious foodletsdineoutDined on 4/19/2014Food is consistently delicious, Best Bolognese in Boston!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Italian RestaurantOpenTableDinerDined on 4/19/2014This was our second time to this restaurant. We had such an enjoyable experience the first time, we didn't hesitate to book again. My wife started with Spicy Calamari (yummy!) and my daughter ordered the Burrata with Asparagus (heavenly!). For our entrée, I ordered the Tagliatelle (very good) and my wife and daughter ordered the Veal Loin with Prosciutto (tender!). We will keep this restaurant in mind the next time we visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of heatjlbhVIPDined on 4/19/2014Quality of food was superb except for one thing - all 3 pasta dishes we got (tagliatelle bolognese, mushroom agnolotti, and fava bean/ricotta tortelli) had way too much pepper/red pepper. Especially the tortelli dish, which you wouldn't expect at all. First the waiter said there was no red pepper in this dish then when we questioned again he made a weird remark that all the dishes have red pepper to add heat. I've eaten here 2x before and had some of the same pasta dishes, and did not have a similar issue. Hoping someone just mislabeled the pepper shaker and it was a one-off!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.