79 Park Plaza
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.viamattarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 422-0008
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 11:00pm; Café: Monday – Saturday: 11:30am – 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Schlow
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Via Matta
Centrally located in the Back Bay, Via Matta offers authentic Italian cuisine with attentive quality service in a comfortable setting. Compliment your meal with a selection from a wine list featuring an extensive offering of Italian wines. Via Matta’s Café serves a lighter menu from late morning through late night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Via Matta reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)special occasion (29)good for groups (26)neighborhood gem (24)romantic (22)notable wine list (21)great for outdoor dining (15)great for lunch (12)hot spot (10)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Delicious and reliableJoneVIPDined on 2/15/2014Have eaten here a number of times. Does not disappoint. Friendly, warm, very good Italian foodSpecial Features:
- Very disappointingaaaaDined on 2/14/2014We waited 45min for our table which was booked for 10pm. They obviously overbooked the place and would not ask the people of previous services to leave their table. Food was average (starters were not great but main courses was ok). Not a gesture (coffee or tea offered). Plus the place is too big with little personality
- Valentines DayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014I would recommend this restaurant to anyone besides on Valentine's Day. To be fair to the restaurant, they did a good job of being honest and open about the fact that they aggressively overbooked. The bartender came out and gave us bread and oil while we waited. However, the atmosphere was one of stress and a bunch of upset people trying to get their seats before the next person. For a 9:00 reservation, we did not end up getting to our table until 10:15 or so. We were fine with this, because we were in no particular rush. But it would be nice to have the reservation honored in a somewhat timely fashion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, tiny portionsfirsttimer24Dined on 2/14/2014Went here on Valentine's Day. Reserved through open table, arrived early did not get seated until 30 minutes after our reservation time. Ordered an appetizer and what we thought would be 2 entrees. The Tuna appetizer was tasteless and for $17 the tiniest portion. It would be one thing if the taste knocked you off your feet. Very disappointing. Next, I received what I expected to be a near $40 entree. Instead I got 4 scallops with a tiny amount of sauce -- not even enough to dip into. Now I get that it was V-Day and an expensive joint, but when you have 200+ pound man ordering what he expects to be a meal you, as a waiter, should advise him that perhaps he should order an additional plate. Better food/experience at Zuma Mexican.
- disappointed112233Dined on 2/14/2014i went here on Vday. mad a reservation but still had to wait 45 min to get in, not because it was such a great restaurant that it was packed, it was because every where else were "sold out"except this restaurant and after i got my food i saw why. this was officially the smallest food portion that i ever had for the money in my entire life and the food wasnt all that at all. their special was only 5-6 main dishes for that day so you basically had NO options on what to order. did i say how little my food was???
- Maybe not on a high volume nightJLteacherDined on 2/14/2014Everything about this place was fine. Except the fact that the maitre'd was rude to is when we walked in (on time for our reservation). He told us we'd have to wait in the bar, and he could tell us how long. "It's valentines day and you're not the only ones waiting." 35 minutes later we sat, after my 8 months pregnant wife asked again (3 rd time) when we could be sat. So we sat down, and ten minutes later we saw our server. From then on everything was simply...fine. Don't go here for an occasion, I'm not sure they know how.
- Not preparedJonnyPublicDined on 2/14/2014Although the team seemed to be trying, they were clearly unprepared for a Friday night valentine's day crowd. I was surprised because all of my many previous experiences had been top level. I was very disappointed to wait nearly 45 minutes for an 8:30 reservation. Our service was mediocre at best, the server was clearly harried and we waited for about 10 minutes before anyone acknowledged that we had been seated. Service was slow and perfunctory. The restaurant knew they were underperforming and comped dessert and a round of drinks, a professional and appreciated gesture. Regardless, the experience was pretty underwhelming. Based on past experience I will return, but if this had been my fist time to Via Matta I would not.
- 1+ hour wait despite reservation LeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/20141+ hour wait despite reservation Less than average food Bad service
- Via MattaEMFoodieDined on 2/14/2014Delicious food, above average service and an overall fantastic dining experience. I have dined at Via Matta several times and each time was fantastic. Definitely recommend for a nice dinner out or any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTableDinerDined on 2/14/2014A last minute decision to travel to Boston Valentine's day left few choices for dinner. Thankfully this restaurant still had a time slot available. They offer a prix fixe option for dinner and my wife opted for that. She started with the Calamari (excellent), followed by Mushroom Mezzalune (excellent), Branzino (very good) and finished with the Passion Fruit Tartlett (excellent). I had the Tagliatelle in a Bolognese sauce (excellent). This restaurant was the icing on our cake for our trip to Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent service and good foodRichDined on 2/14/2014This was a business lunch. I told the waitress that we were on a time frame, and she really was great. Service was unobtrusive. Food was good as usual.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food & Good PeopleBob1cpaDined on 2/8/2014As always the food was spectacular, as was the service. A little story to tell you about the people who run Via Matta. My daughter and her friend had lost their jobs, but her friend had bought an engagement ring 2 weeks before he found out his job would be lost. So while things weren't so bright economically, he took her to Boston and asked her to marry him on the Duck Bridge in the Public Gardens. They then walked over to Via Matta determined to make it a night to remember, despite their economic problems. During dinner, they mentioned the situation to the waiter in passing and laughed about it. At the end of the evening the waiter told them that the meal was on the house. Not only does Via Matta have great food, they have good people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, comfortable butOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/1/2014Great food, comfortable but elegant atmosphere. Super location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!strategicHRDined on 1/28/2014I took a client out for dinner and we enjoyed our private conversation over excellent food. A great place to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent as always.MeatLoverDined on 1/28/2014Food was excellent as always. It is always a treat going to Via Matta. I always get the chicken milanese and it never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MIchael Shlow does it again!DaveDined on 1/23/2014This is our 5th Michael Shlow restaurant experience - OK so we are approaching groupy status... but, how can we help it when the food, cocktails and food are as good as they consistently are at each of Michael's restaurants. This man knows what he is doing. And, he happened to be there - and came over to the table and took great care of us. Thanks Michael! Via Matta is in a great location in the heart of Boston. And the ambiance and wonderful combination of casual and formal settings is terrific! We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were veryAmyDDined on 1/22/2014Food and service were very good. Would be good for groups as in 6-8 or less for a business closing dinner or a couples nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger BarAnnaDined on 1/22/2014This review is for the burger bar which is a great way to spend a casual business lunch! If you don't want high end but want to avoid a take-out sort of place or a bar this is the perfect option. Provided everyone in the party is OK with burgers. They were delicious!!!Special Features:
- Solid middle of the rowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/14/2014The service was very attentive and friendly but not exactly polished, however the constant smile and enthusiasm made up for any shortcomings. The menu is not creative but the food, especially the pasta, is well prepared. The wine list leaves a lot to be desired.Special Features:
- Service needs improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/13/2014Very slow service. Food was not that great. I expected much more flair. I would not recommend
- Consistently wonderfulSeasaidhVIPDined on 1/10/2014I always try to fit in a dinner at Via Matta when I'm in Boston. I rearrange my schedule to do dinner here at least one night. As usual, it was terrific. I always go for the pastas, which are fresh and have great combinations of flavors. We had the spaghetti which was simple but oh so good -- just fresh, great sauce -- what my grandmother would have made. The octopus appetizer had an amazing combination of flavors and I would highly recommend it. Can't wait for the next trip to Boston. Love this place!Special Features:
- DisappointingMarcoDined on 1/9/2014This was my third visit to Via Matta and it was very disappointing. While the service and ambiance were fine, the food was hugely sub-par. Two of us had the chopped salad which was at least 98% lettuce, with a couple of small chicken cubes, two green beans, some small diced vegetable (carrot?), and the most mysterious dressing because it was sparse and lacked any flavor. My guest (his first visit) did not finish his meal and even said how poor it was. Perhaps they should call it the Almost All Lettuce Salad.
- Consistently great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/7/2014Excellent food you won't find most places. The chef is not adverse to changing things on the menue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An ok dinnerfoodieDined on 1/4/2014The service was slow, although it was not very crowded. It took about 20 minutes just to get drinks. The drinks were good once we got them. Two in our group do not eat meat, one no fish either. There were no vegetarian choices at all. They do make several dishes without adding the meat, but it's not a complete flavor as it would be if it were a planned vegetarian choice and you pay the meat price. The place was lacking any ambience and was loud.
- Fabulous dining experience!loftladycherylDined on 1/4/2014We started with drinks at the bar; we got the fiore rosa, & we both loved it. The bartender was helpful & friendly. We were seated at our table in a great spot to see trees outside decorated with lights; it was a lovely view. We shared the crunchy eggplant to start, & it was fabulous! The chef knew we were splitting it, so it came separated on two plates for us. I ordered a glass of the Barolo, which was perfect. I had the spaghetti with aglio e olio, & it was very good & very filling; I could only eat about 3/4 of it. It had a nice spicy kick to it, which I loved! My friend got the salmon; he said it was very good. For dessert, he got the tiramisu & loved it, & I got mint tea, which was great on such a cold night. 5 stars!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!!Tk12Dined on 12/31/2013Great food, nice enough atmosphere. The wait staff should not wear jeans.... It dumbs the place down and makes it look sloppy. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to love VM, will NEVER returnVictGlVIPDined on 12/31/2013My boyfriend and I went to VM for a New Year's Eve dinner. I have been a fan for years, and was certain that our meal would be well above the typical NYE fray. Boy was I wrong! The service was terrible. We did not see the same person twice. Food tasted like it had sat around for a while. They RAN OUT OF BREAD! Eventually some bread materialized and we watched the busboy we had asked for bread cut it for 15 mins while our sauce got cold. Our mains came 5 mins after our pasta courses. My boyfriend had to find covers to try to preserve the warmth and integrity of the mains. Less than successful. Our steak & veal was lukewarm and gristly. We never received our prosecco (though they did take it off the tab). NOT worth the $100/plate we spent.
- Not good, fish needed to beOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Not good, fish needed to be taken back because it wasn't cooked. Pasta was just ok, on a scale of 1 -10 I'll give the food a 3. Bill was over $100+ for my wife and I. Will not go back, much better places in Boston.
- NY Eve probably not the best nightBlondDined on 12/31/2013We had an early reservation on New Year's Eve at Via Matta for 3 @ 6:15 pm. While all the food we ordered was excellent, but portions were modest and we felt the service was only fair. Food: it appeared that they were offering a limited Prix Fix menu vs their usual menu that one can view on-line. No salads or sides? Service: took 10 min for anyone to stop at the table to offer water or drinks. We would've ordered wine with dinner but our waitress was no where to be found after our entrees were delivered. Bottomline is that we'd give Via Matta another try on a non-NYE night and plan to order an appetizer (appears that the normal dinner menu offers non-seafood options and a few nice salads) due to the portion size of the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early New Year's Eve DinnerBob47Dined on 12/31/2013Enjoyed very pleasant meal for New Year's Eve - knew in advance about prix fix menu for this evening but also able to order al la carte which we did. Split grilled octopus appetizer, split butternut ravioli with squab (excellent) and had veal and sirloin for mains. Wine list expensive and fairly limited to Italian wines. Desserts not inspiring so skipped. Main courses well prepared, nicely seasoned and generously sized. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsLizzieDined on 12/31/2013Read mixed reviews of this place so I was a bit skeptical. But the restaurant exceeded my expectations across the board. The ambiance was great... Lively but not too loud to have a private conversation. And the tables were well placed so that you didn't feel too close to neighboring tables. Our server was knowledgeable and friendly. The four course meal we had was delicious from start to finish. Highly recommend for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best night to try Via MattaBostonmomof2VIPDined on 12/31/2013We dined at Via Matta on New Year's Eve. The kitchen must have been having an off night as this restaurant was highly recommended by friends. We had to be asked to move to a different table because the music from the speaker on the ceiling was so loud we couldn't hear each other. Then the appetizers didn't come until 25 minutes after our orders were taken. The burrata was excellent though. But the spaghetti wasn't kid-approved and the chicken was overcooked. However, the butternut squash ravioli and salmon were delicious. Our waitress was terrific and replaced the spaghetti. She didn't charge us for the chicken dish. The meal lasted almost two hours and we had to ask for the check so we could make the 7 pm fireworks. Verdict: Chopped.Special Features:
- Delicious meal, great ambianceSkankMuffinVIPDined on 12/28/2013Went for a romantic dinner after the Nutcracker, meaning we had to make a 10PM reservation. Via Matta was happy to accommodate us. The staff was friendly and attentive. I'm a vegetarian, so they made my meal custom to order. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an enjoyable eveningwmidoj1VIPDined on 12/23/2013I love going to via Matta as I always know I'm going to have a great meal and ambience is relaxing and with the right person could be romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menuMaryDined on 12/13/2013The food was so good- we bought the chef's recipe book!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad expense account restaurantpradameinhofVIPDined on 12/9/2013Really disappointed by ambiance, food and service. If you're looking for a good Italian, consider Giulias in Davis.
- DisappointedJimboDined on 12/7/2013We went to Via Matta mostly for its proximity prior to the Boston Ballet on Dec 7th. We were seated under the apparently only working speaker in the restaurant. The music was banging out of this one speaker so we asked the server to lower it and he said he'd have to talk to the host. The host came to our table and said the music was "chef's choice" and the volume is such because this one speaker needs to fill the entire dining room. Really? We got reseated and the service was prompt. The food is only fair, lacking flavor and creativity, and is severely overpriced. I will never go back to this restaurant and am surprised they survive in the posh Park Plaza address with such a mediocre product and experience.
- Still a FavoriteSweetbloodDined on 12/4/2013I remembered Via Matta as the little place in Boston where the food is consistently fantastic. It did not disappoint this time, but service was a little off and we caught it on a Wednesday night when it was empty, so it didn't have the same vibe as times past. Still, I always highly recommend this place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced under performedfirsttimerDined on 11/30/2013We decided to go high end since my daughter was in town for Thanksgiving weekend. Had the Calamari apetizers which was uninspiring and the scallops with maple, which turner out to be scallops sitting in a puddle of pancake syrup. The lowest priced bottle of chianti on the wine list was $56, which seems crazy to me. Since this restaurant is across the street from a big hotel, I am guessing most of their business is oriented a the weeknight business traveler, and hence the atmosphere was a bit "corporate".
- great food, service ??Bob1cpaDined on 11/21/2013Once again we thoroughly enjoyed Via Matta with friends, who loved the food- ( favorites apps.. - Octopus, Meatballs and Calamari Dinners- Spagetti and Chicken Mattone). Service was a little slower than usual and missing a few times, but it didn't matter. The place is noisy- perhaps some sound reduction is in order, but we enjoyed some of the best food in BostonSpecial Features: