Via Italia Trattoria
569 S. Coast Highway 101 Encinitas, CA 92024
Encinitas, CA 92024Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Via Italia Trattoria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.viaitaliapizzeria.com/
- Phone: 7604799757
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30aM - 4:00PM.
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday, Sunday: 4:00PM - 10:00PM. Thursday - Saturday: 4:00PM - 10:30PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can cater any size events for any occasions. We can customize the menu based on your need and budget. We can provide full service from rental to on premises Chef and servers so you do not have to worry about anything. Small event such as business lunch as well as big sports competition event where carbohydrates are required! If you own a wood fire pizza oven in your residence we can make your party really succeed with our dough for a unique thin crust pizza cooked by our staff. Visit the Catering page on our website for a sample menu and dishes abd contact us! Thank you!
- Cross Street: Between D & E Street
- Public Transit: Coaster train Station is right behind the restaurant. If you are coming from San Diego downtown or Oceanside is the best transportation! Check the schedule at http://www.gonctd.com/coaster
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is available in front of the restaurant on the 101. We highly recommend the parking lots behind the restaurant where also 3 private spots and 1 handicap parking is also available. If you like to walk we are less than 5 minutes walking from MoonLight beach.
A word from Via Italia Trattoria
We start every morning preparing our own bread along with our unique pizza dough and we do not stop until all our pastas are made by hand or with our bronze die cut press. Fresh pastas selection is definitely what makes Via Italia Trattoria different. You can choose from Ravioli, Tagliatelle, Bigoli, Fusilli, Gnocchi...also Gluten Free, served with different sauces but always Al Dente!!! Tasting menu of 3 or 4 courses are a good way to experience an Italian way to dine, especially if are paired with a good Wine Flight. We have been part of the Slow Food movement for more than 15 years, we try to keep our recipes simple, original with seasonal local ingredient. Our wine selection motivates several wine makers to present their wines in our wine dinner nights. Via Italia Trattoria was established in 1997 in Clairemont Town Square in San Diego and in 2002 in Encinitas North County San Diego, our current location.Continued
We have been well awarded by AAA, Zagat, SD Magazine. Ciao!
We have been well awarded by AAA, Zagat, SD Magazine. Ciao!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Via Italia Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
- OKMikeDined on 9/30/2013Via Italia Trattoria was recommended by a friend and by a San Diego company hosting culinary/history tours of Encinitas. Staff friendly, ambiance charming, but I expected more as far as a culinary experience from what I understood to be a restaurant with notable awards.
- noisy but tastyfoodieDined on 9/28/2013food was quite good, once it was served...very noisy restaurant which proved quite distracting. While waitstaff did their best, took too long for food to arrive from kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Embarassingly BadMarkDined on 9/27/2013Had dinner there and found it awful. They offered a 3 or 4 course fixed price meal which we chose. They proceeded to serve vastly reduced size portions while serving normal portions of the same item at adjoining tables. The food was ordinary, but we were hungry when we left. The waiter was pretentious and very unaccomodating. In all, an awful experience.
- Disappointed, chaotic environmentMykidsarecoolVIPDined on 9/25/2013Very poor service, under staffed, food average, nothing special. We use restaurant week to patronize as many new restaurant as we can as we love dining out. We love finding new places that we can then return to as regulars. This will not be that case. Even the eating utensil were not correct, I was given the incorrect spoon on 3 occasions. With average food, I would probably not return, there are too may other establishments to try!Special Features:
- Don't go too earlyalvieDined on 9/25/2013Essentially we were ignored for some time when the restaurant was almost empty except for the bar which was noisy and somewhat busy.Only one waitress and a learner were available at 5:30 pm .The waitress spent more time showing her knowledge to the proby and offered I'm sorries to us .Finally put our foot down and got reasons for delay and not friendly service but at least she recognized our frustration and attended us .Special Features:
- Great Downtown Encinitas DiningjanalDined on 9/23/2013My husband and I shared a delicious salad and main dish entree. We left full. The servers were especially helpful in guiding us to the gluten free options. My husband was delighted to have polenta, an Italian food his Mom had made for their family. It was a new discovery for me and I look forward to having it again. The menu stated the chicken was breaded but modifications were made since we are gluten free and the grilled chicken was seasoned perfectly. The service was exceptional. We look forward to eating here again. The prices were reasonable.Special Features:
- Italian GemrestaurantweekbanditDined on 9/15/2013An Italian friend of mine recommended this place as the most authenticate Italian food in San Diego. We had a great meal here, we went during restaurant week and felt that we had a good opportunity to try out some appetizers and entrees that will soon make their way to the normal menu. So, trying new things during restaurant week was an unexpected joy. The wine list was extensive. As for the food, the Fruta de Mare didn't stay warm very long, the squid was a tad rubbery, and the green olives overwhelmed most of the lighter notes; however the other dishes we had were very well prepared. The highlight for me was the Butterscotch Bundino, it was a perfect balance of sweet but not too sweet, and the salted chocolate was a nice combinationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Experience!jc2meDined on 9/12/2013My wife and I enjoyed a meal at Via in celebration of her birthday last week. We both had fish entrees that were expertly prepared and seasoned with a deft hand. More importantly, not only was the wait staff friendly and attentive, they really made the evening special for us, with the care and thoughtfulness they showed in celebration of my wife's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodhappycamperDined on 9/7/2013North County residents have two great choices for Italian food and they are only blocks apart in Encinitas. I Trulli is super and so is Via Italia Trattoria. Their seafood dishes are extraordinary. My wife and I were reminded of some wonderful dining we did in the Southern tip of Italy ... especially the seafood stew. Everything was fresh and well seasoned, and captured the true garlicky essence of the real thing. She had a simple halibut dish with a tomato-based sauce that showed that the folks out in the kitchen really know what they are doing. The wait staff was very sharp and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2013Via Italia Trattoria is becoming one of our favorite restaurants. The food is exquisite, impeccable service & you leave feeling satisfied and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing dining experiencecookieVIPDined on 8/1/2013This was the most disappointing dining experience that we ever had at Via Italia. We used to love this place. This was our "go to" restaurant. Always loved the food: the pasta, the pizza...all of it. This night, our experience was a disaster! The owner was not in the house. The cook did not know what he was doing. The pizza order was confused, then delivered with a soft, doughy crust, not the crispy crust that I am fond of. The pasta order, while not on the menu, Spaghetti carbonara, was a disaster, too. Wont go back there, ever!
- Gone are the friendly waitstaffOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/17/2013Gone are the friendly waitstaff and managers. Although the menu hasn't changed, everything at this once favorite restaurant has lost its charm (including the food). We won't be back.
- Amazing serviceDateniteDined on 7/13/2013Took my date to this place and was immediately greeted and taken to our table, they made sure everything was perfect and I was absolutely happy with the entire experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guess it comes down to a matteralwayshungryVIPDined on 7/8/2013Guess it comes down to a matter of taste. We didn't like the melon in our salad, gnoccis were in a sauce that was by far too creamy and linguini con vongole were so so. Not sure if clams were fresh as they were rather tasteless (frozen?) and the meal was too liquid for our taste. Service however was excellent. We probably will not come back, there are better alternatives. Restaurant was empty during lunch time, dinner seems the better alternative if you want it more lively.
- we live in another state,kennVIPDined on 7/5/2013we live in another state, but if we are close to this little beach town, this is were we eat. been there a dozen times always 100%Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Time Around...BirthdayGirlVIPDined on 6/25/2013I have dined at Via Italia Trattoria twice for dinner with each visit being even better. The wait staff (Hannah and Georgio) were fantastic. Not only friendly with a sense of humor but knowledgable of their menu and really went the extra mile on service. The food is authentic Italian with mouth-watering menu selections. Leave room for their Tiramisu, it's AMAZING. Thank you for another great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerMattDined on 6/20/2013Food was really good. The bigoli with tomato sauce was really italian taste. Service was nice and quickSpecial Features:
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2013Small portions of food. Fish over cooked. Extra charge to exchange pasta for potatoes($5). Salad lettuce was poor quality(14$).
- we love it!karenlucilleDined on 5/27/2013always love via italia - i got the tournedos they were perfect. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2013It was very noisy on Mother's Day - cement floors - families - you could hardly hear what your dining companions were saying. So glad to get out of there.Special Features:
- Great house-made pastas (notOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/11/2013Great house-made pastas (not all pastas are house-made so ask), house-made bread is great and the pizzas are incredible. Quatro Staggioni is fantastic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian samplerItalophileDined on 5/11/2013Food was generally good except for a few items. Two of our guests thought the risotto 'special' was bland and gluey. The wine 'special', recommended by server, was a dud, and the server returned repeatedly to ask if we wanted another bottle. Just say no (4 times).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good and the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2013Food was good and the service was fast, maybe a little too fastSpecial Features:
- Was here 7 years ago, stillOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2013Was here 7 years ago, still totally awesome food and staff!!!Special Features:
- Our waitress for nice andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2013Our waitress for nice and helpful but our food did not come out for all of us at the same time so we had to wait to eat. Also resturant is VERY noisy. Food was fresh but not real imaginative.
- Authentic ItalianSveiksVIPDined on 4/6/2013Via Italia is an Encinitas staple. We love dining here for authentic and delicious Italian cuisine. However, don't dine here if you want a quiet restaurant on Friday or Saturday. It is busy and loud because it is small and the acoustics are not great. But, that is what makes it more authentic and kid-friendly!Special Features:
- This is one of our go-to favorites,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/5/2013This is one of our go-to favorites, great food and service, also great Italian wines. Our guests were very impressed.Special Features:
- It is a wonderful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013It is a wonderful restaurant in down town Encinitas. How lucky we are to live in North County Costal, with such wonderful restaurants.Special Features:
- I bought a Groupon for thisBarbDined on 4/4/2013I bought a Groupon for this restaurant and went there for a late lunch with friends. Since I made a reservation wit Open Table, we were served a complimentary glass of Proseco when we arrived....a nice touch. We started with salads, caesar and one octopus salad. I didn't think I'd like the octopus, but it was delicious. We all ordered the lasagna which was outstanding, with both a white and red sauce on it and it was a large enough portion to take home and finish for dinner. Our server, Veronica, was delightful...friendly, attentive, and fun. Since we were there in the mid-afternoon, we were the only people in the restaurant, so I don't know what the noise level would be like when it's busy. But overall, I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- We took advantage of the fourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/1/2013We took advantage of the four course tasting menu ($45) and every course was fabulous. They also have a large wine selection, including wine flights. We went on a Monday night, so bottles were half price. We had very good service from Hannah and a fun evening.Special Features:
- Great food. Alfully noisy.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013Great food. Alfully noisy. too many tables so waiters cannot move around good.Special Features:
- This was our 3rd visit; notLK2014VIPDined on 3/29/2013This was our 3rd visit; not sure we'll return. We reserved ahead & asked for a corner table because they get busy & VERY loud. Service was OK; we ordered salads and main courses, which came right away, no time between. We were barely done with dinner when she offered dessert. We wanted to wait a while, but she offered to take orders and hold a few mins, which we declined. 10 mins later another server offered us dessert, we said not yet. 1 min later waitress returned to offer dessert. I asked if we were being rushed, she said no; but we ordered dessert and she brought our bill right after. We still wanted coffee, so that had to be added to the bill. Hardly a fine dining experience when you are rushed thru dinner in less than 90 mins.Special Features:
- What a wonderful restaurant!AustinNewbieDined on 3/28/2013What a wonderful restaurant! We came in with 3 very tired children. The waitress was absolutely amazing! The food was fabulous! If we lived closer, we would be regulars!Special Features:
- 1st time, ok, heavy but good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Our first time, food is not for the diet conscious, but it was well prepared and very good service. Good menu with interesting selections. Decor ok. Perhaps a bit overpriced. Next time will try the happy hour prices from 3 to 6pm.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had the misfortune to haveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2013We had the misfortune to have a new waitress and our orders were "not heard" or "misunderstood". An antipasto order was not put in for one diner and an entree order was not put in for the other diner. I ended up eating my antipasto last and we waited for the entree which was not ordered originally.
- Excellent service, food andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013Excellent service, food and ambiance. Easy to book reservations through open table. In a very good experience for our business lunch.Special Features:
- Bland food, server got theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/10/2013Bland food, server got the order wrong twice. Waited for water a long time. Not a very good place.
- Best ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013If this restaurant was a publicly held security on the stock market we would invest our savings to be partners. The service and food is unmatched. We waited for a window seat but it was all worth the wait. The food and deserts kept us there for hours. We didn't want to leave. We went on valentines day which was busy, but you can see smiles all around. We look forward to spending many more romantic nights at this restaurant. Outstanding!!!Special Features:
- Expensive and delicious.DeleteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Expensive and delicious.Delete any and all information about me from your files and don't contact me anymore please.
- Nice neighborhood restaurantJanRSFDined on 1/29/2013Nice neighborhood restaurant with good food and wine.Special Features: