47 E. 21st Street
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.viaemilia.us/
- Phone: (212) 505-3072
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: William Mattiello
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering menu orders typically accommodate between 25-50 people. Larger groups may be served with advance notice.
A word from Via Emilia
For over 10 years, Via Emilia has been providing the Gramercy/ Flatiron neighborhoods with quality home-style Northern Italian cuisine. The authentic fare includes fresh-daily pastas, locally sourced vegetables and meats, as well as regional specialties like Modenese lasagna and Borlengo mountain bread. Our wine list focuses on Emilia-Romagnan wines, and boasts the largest selection of Lambruscos in the US. Whether you are looking to book a large party or an intimate dinner, Via Emilia can accommodate your needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Via Emilia reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (16)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (6)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)romantic (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- The Place for Lively ModeneseAskAndyDined on 11/24/2014Lively pop setting featuring exquisitely done Modenese (Northern Italian) cuisine and a nice selection of relatively underexposed Italian wines. Spacious room with occasional special events (Opera!), attentive team service, good vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return VisitorsWoodeDined on 11/15/2014We have been here many times and the food, service, and wine have always been consistent - excellent in all areas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingKidteacherVIPDined on 11/14/2014After reading such nice reviews and choosing this place for a dinner with friends, we had a disappointing experience. The host seemed more interested in taking delivery orders than welcoming us to his place. Our waiter was forgetful and inattentive. He never brought out our cocktails even though our appetizers had arrived. We waited a half hour to get our entrees which came out like warm. The lasagna would have been delicious if it was hot. Our side dish of spinach was cold! Overall it was a shame!
- DON'T OVERLOOK VIA EMILIATwiggyVIPDined on 11/12/2014This restaurant sits in a neighborhood of high-profile, hard-to-get-a-reservation-at eating establishments, and while it is not innovative cuisine, Via Emilia delivers flavor and variety at a reasonable price, in a setting where you don't have to scream to be heard by your dining companion. Pastas and salads are in abundance on the menu, and my lunch companion and I felt well satisfied by our meal and the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicknameVIPDined on 11/7/2014Via Emilia offers good Italian fare at moderate prices in a neighborhood where rival ristorantes charge much more. Several nearby competitors, however, have more exciting kitchens, so the issue becomes: What are you after? In the Flatiron district, if it's price, Via Emilia is tops. If it's delicious cuisine, Via Emilia is pleasant enough but you can do better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Price is rightsobepsychVIPDined on 10/18/2014Not easy to find such well prepared, out of the ordinary, Italian food at reasonable cost. AND sound quality perfect, too.Special Features:
- Awesome ItalianSteveMDined on 10/18/2014The pasta and breads are home made and truly outstanding. The Pumpkin-sage ravioli is a go-to dish and the lasagna is incredible. Great wine selection. Great place to go with the family or group.Special Features:
- Excellent spot for group mealsBackToNYCVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great little spot for group meals. Food was really hit or miss. Not hing was bad, but about half our dishes were just okay. The other half were AMAZING! This is a solid choice and well worth visiting.
- Always excellentmarydancerDined on 10/11/2014The service was as gracious as the owner. Excellent wine list and delicious food. Love the modern and cozy atmosphere.Special Features:
- FantasticdissatisfiedDined on 9/27/2014Super in every way! William, the owner was more than accommodating and adhered to our time schedule! The food was exceptional as well as the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and UnderwhelmingDiningManVIPDined on 9/12/2014Food was overpriced and nothing to write home about. Service was as cold as the food. Atmosphere was nice with art throughout the restaurant (all for sale). Like how they support local artists. Won't be going back.
- My favoriteCarltonVIPDined on 9/12/2014This terrific little spot never disappoints. Had three simple dishes that all were prepared flawlessly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014The atmosphere is very casual. The service is very good. The food is very average. I had a balsamic salad that was 11 dollars and nothing special. The béchamel lasagna was very salty. We ordered many different wines, but couldn't find one that tasted right. Would not recommend.
- truly authentic modenese restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Great gnocco fritto. Probably the only place in NYC where you can find borlengo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lmbc7Dined on 8/30/2014Enjoyed a delicious meal here Saturday night. The gnocco fritto simply melt in your mouth…what a treat! The mussels Emiila were small and tender and I could have used another loaf of bread for the sauce they were floating in! My husband's lasagna was a wonderfully different version than any we have ever tasted and my fileto di pomodoro with handmade pasta was perfect! The food was fresh and so tasty. And the service was just right! AND the prices were just right too!! Highly recommend Via Emiia!!Special Features:
- Love Via Emilia!LoveViaEmiliaDined on 8/19/2014We go to Via Emilia often, even though we live on the Upper West Side. It is our favorite Italian restaurant in NYC, and possibly our favorite restaurant overall! Delicious food, great service, lovely ambience - a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Homemade pastaBAM17Dined on 8/16/2014The pasta here was terrific. I had a lemon and fig sauce over fresh made noodles that were light and flavorful. I have never had anything like it before. My companions all ended up having pasta as well after we saw the orders coming out of the kitchen. Not a scrap left on anyone's plate. And yes, the lasagna is THAT good. The prices were more than reasonable and the wine list offered a good selection and again, very reasonable. The service was attentive and helpful. The bonus was the booths in the back that were spacious and quiet. There are only about 5 of them but I would totally make sure, if you are in a group, you reserve a booth. We'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Our FavoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Via Emilia never disappoints. It is one of our favorite restaurants. The tortellini in brodo is as good as any we've had in Italy. Overall, the menu is original and creative. Service is warm and friendly, especially when chef/owner William comes out of the kitchen to greet diners.Special Features:
- An undiscovered gemsuetooDined on 8/14/2014Great food with generous portions, reasonably spaced tables, relaxed and casual atmosphere, reasonable wine list, what else could you ask for? You can have a reasonable conversation without shouting, and eat in piece without being elbowed by a busy waiter - a neighborhood gem, seeemingly undiscovered in spite of having been around several years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice!AllergiesAreAnnoyingDined on 8/8/2014The first thing I noticed was that the walls were extremely brightly colored! I had seen pictures of the place, but seeing it in person made it much more intense! The food was of top quality and the perfect quantity. Our server was very knowledgeable of the menu, and offered recommendations. Everything was wonderful!Special Features:
- Pasta dishes are fabulousNativeNYerDined on 8/7/2014Always a delight to eat here ... in terms of both food and service. In season, must eat his fig pasta dish. Fresh & light; very satisfying. Meal is enhanced by very attentive and pleasant servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/5/2014Great neighborhood place. Authentic Italian food and wine from Modena. The owner, William could not be more helpful and congenial. Reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Italian restaurantMirkoBMedollaDined on 7/31/2014The quality level of the food is vey high. In that restaurant I have found the real taste of the Emilia Romagna region cuisine, Parma ham, Balsamic vinegar, lasagne, Tortellini, Tigelle and gnocchi fritti (fried flat bread) that you can tast with salami, Mortadella ,... and Parmiggiano Reggiano chese. The red sparkling win , Lambrusco complete the experiance to taste a real North Italy cuisine.Special Features:
- The following 94 reviews are from the Via Emilia reviews archive.
- Not what I thought it would beBorlengoGirl21Dined on 7/19/2014No area in the restaurant has internet service, so if you want to look up your dish online before ordering it you better do that before going to the restaurant. I went there once last year and had some very interesting bread(borlengo), however when I asked the waiter and described it to him he still brought me the completely wrong (and cold) bread. They emphasize that most of their pasta is made on the premises, but it all tasted extremely generic. I ordered the spinach pasta and while it was so romantically described on the menu, it tasted more like a supermarket brand. A member in our party had lasagna and described it as way too salty, as were the french fries that came with the steak. Overall it was edible, but meh, nothing special.Special Features:
- Always Great!LauraBDined on 7/1/2014I love this place. The food is great the service is good, nice wine list. The dining room is not cramped. They don't rush you at all. It is consistently a very nice experience. The recently changed the menu, but kept my favorite, the ragu! I keep coming back to Via Emilia time after time!Special Features:
- Very goodPearlDined on 6/28/2014Very good northern italian food, good and pleasant service, and very helpful chef who made me feel very welcome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemECCTDined on 6/20/2014Great small restaurant tucked away near Union Square. Food is excellent and it has a clean, simple decor. I went with a group and we all loved our food. This will be on my short list of go to restaurants in the city.Special Features:
- ArturoaserranorDined on 6/14/2014We went there as we were looking for a place in the Iron Building District and we found this one on open table, and we liked it a lot, both the food, ambience and the service was great. We would go again.Special Features:
- Good every timeCarltonVIPDined on 6/13/2014Love this place. They always have interesting specials and the regular menu items are all solid.Special Features:
- Great Food from Modena, ItalyWestVIPDined on 5/28/2014This is one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants. The food quality is consistently excellent - and only 13 blocks from our apartment - well worth that short walk. Best selection of Lambrusco's in Manhattan.Special Features:
- DeliciousNJsisDined on 5/21/2014This was our second time dining at Via Emilia, both times with at least six people in our party. No one was disappointed with the meal he/she ordered, we all loved the food. I don't usually go out for Italian food, frankly, but have chosen to go to Via Emilia twice, and will return in the future.Special Features:
- awesomeunhapppyDined on 5/17/2014Great food and incredible wine. Get the tortellini or the lasagna or the pork or veal, or just get it ALL. The restaurant staff is friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerCarltonVIPDined on 5/9/2014Love this place. Right in the neighborhood and has terrific food.Special Features:
- NicknameVIPDined on 5/7/2014Very good Italian cuisine via Modena at modest prices. A meal at Via Emilia isn't fussy or luxurious, but with cooking this good, who cares?
- Great meal and serviceBernieDined on 5/2/2014I've been here twice in the past month, once on a date and once with friends, and both nights were super fun with great food. The service here is attentive but not pushy, the staff knows their wine list, and all in all it's a great place to eat.Special Features:
- Genuine food from Italy!ChiccaDined on 5/1/2014The food at Via Emilia is genuinely Italian and more specifically of the Emilia region. The service is excellent and the experience really nice. Real tastes from Italy! Don't miss it if you want to eat real Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnpretentiousPomodoroVIPDined on 5/1/2014The lighting is a little too bright and the design of the place is rather spartan and uninteresting but the food is fresh, homemade and generous at very reasonable prices. The wine list is rather limited and could use a wider selection. Given its location in a rather, non neighborhood, it's rarely packed so you can enjoy a conversation over dinner without having to shout over the table as in many nyc restaurants. A good choice if not a particularly romantic venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itJillianDined on 4/26/2014Went there last Saturday, great food, great serving, would go there again!Special Features:
- Spring Break.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/23/2014My friend and I traveled to NYC for our spring break this year. While looking for places for a nice dinner we stumbled upon Via Emilia. All the reviews were good and the price was right so we made reservations. We were definitely not disappointed. The food was great and the restaurant was so adorable! I would totally come here again next time I'm in NYC.Special Features:
- Always yummyTTHopeDined on 4/23/2014True neighborhood gem. Food is consistently delicious. The menu is interesting but authentic-at reasonable prices. Not your run of the mill "Italian".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.