18 East Main Street
Somerville, NJ 08876Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://vervestyle.com/
- Phone: 9087078655
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 12:00pm - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sundays we are open for your private parties and special events.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: go to vervestyle.com to view options
- Private Party Facilities: Our intimate private rooms can serve up to 50 guests and our offsite location can accommodate up to 150.
- Private Party Contact: Rick St. Pierre 8889241720
- Entertainment: Please check our events section for DJ schedule and live music. http://www.vervestyle.com/somervillenjjazzfestival.html
- Special Events: Please visit http://www.vervestyle.com/somervillenjjazzfestival.html for upcoming events!
- Cross Street: Between North Bridge and Grove Streets
- Public Transit: Raritan River Line-- From New Brunswick NJ-- to Newark-- to NY
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample parking in front of or behind the restaurant. Free parking is available nightly after 5pm.
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
- dadster53Dined on 8/23/2014A comfortable evening with very good food well presented. Servers were most professional. Good cocktail choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous for Special OccassionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014Super service and food made our special celebration the best.Special Features:
- all around treatpattiDined on 8/12/2014Drinks are interesting and well made. Wonderful bread. Entrees are dependably very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014We had the crab cakes for an appetizer, which were very good. Then I had the lobster & my husband had the short ribs. He said they were great. The lobster was cooked perfectly & was served out of the shell plated beautifully. I had the chocolate souffle which had a hot gooey center & came with a scoop of mint chip ice cream. Very yummy. Husband had the rice pudding which was flavored with orange & coconut. That was great too. The service was great, even though our waitress had no personality. I felt the a/c was too high, but it could have just been me. Overall we had a wonderful dinner. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NY Prices with mediocre menuCaddycatDined on 8/7/2014Menu is limited to choices that are at best, ordinary. I didn't find anything on the menu that I wanted, so I chose a salad and 2 appetizers. One of them was the crab cake with sweet corn salsa. It was divine. I've had the bacon at Wolfgang's in New York, and it was better. My husband had the beef rib on parpadelle pasta which was good, but the dish was overpriced. My husband commented that 2 Caesar salads that were a total of $26 were beyond our value tolerance in a small NJ town. He commented "When I next need this style of price, I'll hop on a ferry to Manhattan." The bar scene is vibrant and the drinks are imaginative, but pricey.Special Features:
- I want to like this place!PacmanDined on 7/31/2014We have dined at Verve at least 6 or more times over the years. Inconsistent is the best description. On the latest visit we sat outside in front. The biggest issue with that is the cigar and cigarette smoke from neighboring patrons, drifting toward our table. The food was adequate but not stellar. Service was fine. So I would say hit or miss is the general theme for this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!MsMagentaDined on 7/26/2014This was our very first dining experience at Verve. We saw their ad in the Star Ledger for their Crab Fest and thought this would be a good time to finally give it a try. What a wonderful meal! In fact, the outstanding meal, exceptional wine, and overall dining experience were equal to that of the finest neighborhood restaurants of New Orleans - a hard rating to earn. We will return.Special Features:
- DinearoundVIPDined on 7/19/2014Was crab fest night and food was great! Waiter was very attentive even tho they were really busy.
- Extremely disappointedLuvcrabsDined on 7/19/2014With drinks and meal the afternoon of 7/19. Drove an hour for crab fest. Hard-shell crabs were very small. I don't think there was a 1/4 cup of crabmeat on 6 crabs. My husband got the Alaskan King Crab, and didn't even get 1 full leg. Martini and Long Island iced tea drinks were horrible. Not coming back again.
- Overpriced & food just oktalentgirlDined on 7/18/2014the food is nothing exciting. It was a very busy friday night. Waited for a cocktail for over 20 minutes - possibly more because the appetizers came out, and still no drinks. The food - chicken & short ribs were just ok. Nothing exciting. The dessert - ice cream was home made and very good. I choose the chocolate "souffle", which is nothing more than a dark choc cake, which comes hot, and after it starts cooling down, starts getting rubbery. The prices are high. Don't think we'll go again.
- Great date spot00stownleyDined on 6/27/2014Fairly broad menu with a great cocktail list. Not a deep wine list but workable. Seems to be a hip spot later on Friday/Saturday nights as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special dinnersfoodDined on 6/21/2014We go to Verve for all our special dinners occasions. We enjoy every aspect of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool placeJDChesterDined on 6/13/2014Really enjoyed this upscale, French influenced restaurant. Pleasantly surprised by the simple but tasty preparations and really nice wine selections, by the glass and bottle. Looked like a fun bar scene and even fun to hang out outside even though we did eat inside.Special Features:
- DinneroutDined on 6/13/2014I had been to Verve for dinner and was pleased, so I returned for a special lunch with my family. I wasn't aware that their lunch menu is a just collection of "small plate" items, not really the entree selections that I assumed would be offered. I guess I should have checked the lunch menu before I booked but didn't. Was disappointed in the food and service….
- Love it!SanofiDined on 6/11/2014The food and service is always excellent, wonderful ambience, the seating area is small but comfortable. It is also great for corporate and private functions in its private room.Special Features:
- Better than I remembered!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/31/2014Had an enjoyable dining experience. Stating with delicious cocktails, we had a spinach and strawberries salad and order of clams. Dinner was duck and lobster over risotto - both were very good. Finished off our evening with after-dinner cocktails. Our server was very attentive and knowledgable about the menu as well as the drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/31/2014I've eaten at Verve before, but this time was a disappointment.Server rushed us.We were mid-conversation and she didn't wait to make her presence known-she just talked over us to tell us the specials without even caring if we were listening!No sooner had our forks touched down after eating than our places were cleared and the dessert menu was put in front of us.From the time we got in until the time we got out, INCLUDING wine, appetizers, entrees, desserts it was an hour ten.The food was average;roasted chicken was okay, salmon decent.Dessert was a MAJOR bummer.I ordered the warm chocolate cake.It was stale to its core.It was hard to cut.I had one bite, left the entire cake on the plate.Server never asked me if there was a problem.
- dianedDined on 5/31/2014a strip steak came out cool. no food items had any flavor. server not very attentive. did not fill wine glasses until 95% empty
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Good food, great service, had a wonderful dinner. Would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice spot to have dinner.Special Features:
- DisappointingcarolVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had dinner here to celebrate my husband's birthday.The reviews seemed good so we gave it a try. The verdict- not worth the money. First it was uncomfortably loud in the restaurant. The service was acceptable. Our rushed waiter took our orders but added nothing to the experience. If he was knowledgable about the food or wine he did not let on. I would expect more from a dining experience.Special Features:
- Wait staffMJNJVIPDined on 5/15/2014Have you ever been at a restaurant and a table of loud people ruin the ambiance? The table two down from us began getting loud and using bad language, which is fine in some places...but not with a romantic atmosphere. The wait staff actually asked them to quiet down for the other diners! On their own! And, the service, food, ambiance, all were just amazing. Rated the loudness 4 stars but was so happy that the staff took care of the noise before anyone else could even complain!Special Features:
- Little Gem on Main StreetdanmatyolaDined on 5/11/2014Verve is one of our favorite restaurants in Somerville. The food is dependably good, and the service is prompt and friendly. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Gourmet & HealthyImfreenowDined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day brunch. The food was excellent! The service was excellent! The ambience was lovely. So glad we tried this place, we will be going back for dinner. This is one to put on your restaurant list!Special Features:
- Love verve!!PACladyDined on 5/11/2014This is a lovely classy restaurant featuring delicious food and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but very goodLisaMammaDined on 5/9/2014I was very pleased with this restaurant. We went because we bought a $100 gift card from Costco for $80 and wasnt sure if we would it all the first visit. Well, we had to use the gift card and still pay more money. The food was fantastic but not more than some other fine restaurants that dont charge as much. Drinks were also great and very strong. One Cosmo was enough for me! Would definitely recommend but would not be going frequently due to the price. Oh and service was very good. The only negative is that the limited outdoor seating wasnt very nice. THere were people hanging around outside who werent eating at the restaurant. Its not a great part of the neighborhood either so i would recommend eating inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank You!JoanianoDined on 5/8/2014Received a gift card to Verve from my students at Bridgewater Raritan HS, and couldn't have asked for a better night. My husband and I ordered the flatbread with crab and avocado ice cream, and a perfect Caesar salad to start. He ordered the salmon with fava bean cassoulet, and I had the NY strip steak. Everything we ordered was presented beautifully, and tasted excellent. Our waiter was welcoming, efficient, and unobtrusive while still being helpful. His timing was perfect, which just complimented the perfect "date night" we had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Group Dining ExperienceFitfoodieDined on 5/7/2014I recently held a business dinner here for a party of 10. The food was prepared perfectly, and the prices are within reason. I must say the service was a little slow considering I pre-ordered the appetizers, and you would have never known they were placed ahead of time as it took them an extremely long time to arrive. This did not take away from the experience though, because the rest of the food was timely and seriously cooked to perfection! I highly recommend and will go back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EvelynDined on 5/6/2014This is a small, discreet kind of place but top-notch in its food and service. I am a repeat visitor!Special Features:
- The following 389 reviews are from the Verve Restaurant reviews archive.
- Best French food we've found in NJR2OCDined on 5/1/2014As immigrants from Europe, we are long time fans of French cuisine. We've tried a few French restaurants in NJ that get good reviews, but Verve stands out a mile in terms of quality and value. Outside was informal street dining, through a rather dark but lively bar to a pleasantly spacious dining room. All 3 appetizers and entrees we had were authentic, freshly prepared and delicious. This is the one we will recommend to friends and to which we will be returning regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningJerryTheKVIPDined on 4/26/2014This was a special night and the food was really excellent all around. The staff brought us champagne after I proposed to my girlfriend and everyone treated us very well. I highly recommend this establishment. We will be back!Special Features:
- Nice jobAwesomenessDined on 4/11/2014Always enjoy the food here. Great bar very knowledgable bartenders. Wait staff always attentive. The food is very good although not terribly inventive. However it never disappoints and is very consistent. I will return as I have numerous times before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sommerville gemKPSINDYVIPDined on 4/10/2014Verve was a great experience for our company's group of 10. Seasonal menu options and wine list were excellent. The spring pea soup, monkfish, and risotto were fantastic. Service is sophisticated, knowledgable and friendly. Quaint bar scene and some outdoor seating are a bonus. Definitely recommend for foodies, special occasions, smaller and larger groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Love this restaurant. The service is great. The food is outstanding. The escargot and mushroom tart was excellent, as was the salad with poached pear. We both had the lobster with truffle mac & cheese. Unbelievably good!! We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love VerveJohnVIPDined on 3/21/2014I returned to Veve after a 6 month absence. My favorite restaurant in NJ, great food, wine was awesome and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth goingHDgurlDined on 3/15/2014The food was very good, but, my lobster bisque was borderline cold and my husband's poached lobster was overcooked. On the otherhand, the ceasar salad and my NY strip was awesome! Prices are reasonable and service is great. We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little taste of NOLAbunnychowDined on 2/28/2014We went here for the Mardi Gras celebration weekend. We got beads! We sat at a table, not at the bar. The bar was packed. The food was delicious. Loved the gumbo. The 5 rums Hurricanes really helped to keep us warm during this harsh winter.Special Features:
- First Visit but not LastBathDined on 2/22/2014This was our first visit but it won't be the last. The menu is small but varied. There were 4 of us and I thought the Ahi Tuna was great, my friend really liked the salmon and both guys had the short ribs and said they were OK but were disappointed that they were boneless. For starters, the duck and goat cheese flatbread was outstanding, the crispy pork belly was very good but not crisp enough and the crab cake was good. We shared the chocolate soufflé with home made ice cream for dessert and it was wonderful. Our server was great and the hostess was very accommodating. Tables are small and close and the noise level was high but not disturbing. Looking forward to a return trip to try some other dishes.Special Features:
- Eh...cjhsDined on 2/15/2014Title says it all. A valiant effort but overall, quite average. Service was very good. Drinks, too. The consomme special was, well, frankly not special. Scallops were pretty looking but lacked flavor. An entirely average experience.Special Features:
- Excellent choice for ValentinesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Excellent choice for Valentines day, very cozy and romantic. Absolutely amazing food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day HorribleBVC51Dined on 2/14/2014Service was poor the server came around only once except when bringing food. If we did not order from the bar when we came in we would never of had a drink. Added automatic 20% tip even with 2 people. Food was ok will never go back!