Vertical Wine Bistro
70 N. Raymond Ave
Pasadena, CA 91103Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Vertical Wine Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.verticalwinebistro.com/
- Phone: 6267953999
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Laurent Quenioux
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Catering: We offer offsite wine dinners for parties of 12-65.
- Private Party Facilities: Vertical Wine Bistro takes the quintessential notion of wine bar to new heights. Located in Old Pasadena, Vertical presents a welcome respite with its inviting atmosphere, dazzling wine list and delectable American bistro menu.
- Private Party Contact: Manuel Mesta 6267953999
- Special Events: For Private Party and Banquets call Manuel Mesta 626-795-3999
A word from Vertical Wine Bistro
Wine Bistro serving California bistro- style menu. Over 420 wine selections, 50 by the glass and wine flights from around the world. Full bar and imported beers as well as draft.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Vertical Wine Bistro - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Vertical Wine Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (34)fit for foodies (34)vibrant bar scene (32)neighborhood gem (26)romantic (23)special occasion (22)good for groups (17)hot spot (15)late-night find (13)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- SteveDined on 9/10/2014Fantastic menu and wine selection - will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great romantic placeFoodyVIPDined on 9/7/2014From the lovely French scenic entrance to the wine display inside, the place screams romance. These are some must tries: Wine flights and braised short ribs. I would come here on any dating occasion or just a casual hang out.Special Features:
- decent foodkittyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Decent food items on the menu and the service was great. It is busy on a Saturday evening, reservation is recommended.Special Features:
- innovative dishesPrimatesDined on 8/24/2014food was flavorful and very innovative. Watermelon lobster gazpacho was excellent as were the short ribs, lobsters and pork dish that we ordered. Duck portion was a bit small considering that it was supposed to be one of the larger plates. Great ambiecneSpecial Features:
- Terrific food in a great settingLauriesopasDined on 8/23/2014Always love drinks at Vertical and finally had dinner there. What a wonderful, fresh, inventive menu! All around fun spot, and a great fit for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vertical is always deliciousfoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014always happy to come to vertical. the food is yummy. the servers are knowledgeable about pairing the wine and if uncertain, they will gladly ask assistance from chef or sommelier. It's a little too noisy on the bar side, generally prefer a table in the back room, but this evening there was a private party. There's music playing, but it can't be heard over the din of the bar side conversation. No matter, as always, we had a fun evening there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Straight-Up NiceBroadwayFanVIPDined on 8/19/2014Enjoyed some tasty small shared plates, a cocktail, and a glass of wine with a friend. The ceremony of starting at the communal table or lounge seats before being escorted to a reserved table was a little over-the-top, and unnecessarily showy. If the table wasn't ready yet (but the place was 100% empty when we got there), we should have just been told to wait.Special Features:
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014The service is always friendly, knowledgable, and engaging. Great wines and happy atmosphere. Menu has a nice mix of light/small dishes and heavier ones. Both are almost always worth coming back to...Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014The filet mignon was amazing. The Napa Wine Flight had some incredible wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, only ok serviceEasyGoerDined on 8/2/2014Took my wife out for an unplanned date night without our two toddlers. Found Vertical Wine bistro via OpenTable search and hoped for best. Pros: great entry way, though the style walking in does not match the dining room at all; open menu allowing some freedom in ordering. Great mussels and gnocchi; very happy with the drink menu. Cons: service is slow. Not sure if it's quality of serving staff or quality of host/hostess for overstating our waiter. The cod was way too salty, tried to send back- was refused. Not that big a deal, but annoying. All in all we had a good meal for a decent price; I would reccomend as an option if you're in old Pasadena and get hungry - but not as a destination dinner local.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites, but.....NiniVIPDined on 7/20/2014The Vertical is one of my favorite restaurants and we frequently dine there. This past Sunday, we ordered from their BBQ menu for the first time and it was a big mistake. Whole turkey legs were the featured Sunday BBQ and they were very dry, although drowned in BBQ sauce. The corn on the cob was delicious but it would have been helpful it they'd provided tools to handle it or if they kitchen would have taken the kernels off the cob. Other sides were good. Service was excellenet, as usual. I would never order from their featured BBQ again. Should have stayed with their regular menu.Special Features:
- Great FindWeLove2EatDined on 7/19/2014We found Vertical through dineLA. The food was great, especially the duck, lobster bisque and deserts. The service was good. We opted for the wine pairing. When I didn't care for one of the wines (nothing wrong with it, I just wasn't thrilled), the server replaced it with no issues. I really appreciated that. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Nice Place in Old Town PasjamessVIPDined on 7/19/2014Really enjoyed the overall experience. Good food well prepared and well served. A nice Saturday night dinner experience.Special Features:
- Great place/great food-bad serviceRILEYVIPDined on 7/18/2014With both our mothers in town and both their birthdays to celebrate during DINE LA week, we looked for a great spot near their hotels to take them out and celebrate. The DINE LA menu was okay, though only half of us ordered off it. My boyfriend and I are both gluten-free and noticed that only their regular menu designated GF vs. non-GF, so we inquired what on the DINE LA menu was GF. Our waiter told us that everything was, including the Gnocchi, which I found hard to believe but the boyfriend ordered it. When our salads arrived with croutons, I knew that we had been misinformed and called the manager over. He at least was helpful and changed our orders as well as confirmed the rest of our order w/the chef. We were not attended to thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!!Love2EatDined on 7/11/2014Excellent food. Great atmosphere. Had a fantastic time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Again, Just Great!GraceVIPDined on 7/5/2014We had a great dinner again! Part of what makes a nice dining experience is the service. Our waiter is always accommodates us no matter what and then he has to relay our requests to the kitchen. Corn fritters with salmon is a favorite!Special Features:
- Lobster Dinner a Hit!aintgotmoneyDined on 6/29/2014We took friends to Vertical Wine Bar to celebrate a birthday. We went on Sunday and we had the lobster dinner special. It was lovely. The service was attentive. We went early because one of our party has a hearing problem. The noise level was just starting to rise as we left. Our friends seemed to enjoy it as much as we did. They have a superior Happy Hour, too, which we can recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grilled Cheese Wednesday a MUST!looking4theyummyDined on 6/25/2014If you like your grilled cheese all grown up, you must hit the Vertical Bistro on Wednesday nights. The Croque Monsieur was decadent and delicious beyond my wildest dreams. And the shortrib with fig jam and other goodies - ordered on a funky whim - was also absolutely delightful. Great ambience, too, if a bit too loud for my taste. But I would definitely go back and recommend to others.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014My sister can't get enough of The Walking Dead, and when she heard the producer had a restaurant right here in Pasadena, she had to try it. Happy we did. Really cool venue. Its entrance is this charming old stairway. And then once inside it's got this cool, modern vibe. Kind of sceney, but not so loud you can't talk. Food was yummy, drink list extensive, and service impeccable. Really enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local findLaurenDined on 6/21/2014We were visiting Pasadena and stumbled upon this gem. When we first walked in the ambience stuck us - from the lighting to the fireplace along with the banquette seating. The food was excellent, and of course, the wines. Martha, our server, made the entire experience a true pleasure. We'll be back.....Special Features:
- Always a pleasureUp2snufDined on 6/8/2014We had the Sunday lobster dinner, it was delicious and a real deal for $25.00!Special Features:
- I miss "Braised Lamb Shank"Yasu360VIPDined on 6/7/2014I really liked the restaurant when I went there a year ago. I had wonderful Braised Lamb Shank and Mac & cheese. My friends enjoyed their other dishes. When I visited again at the day of Pasadena make music festival, Braised Lamb Shank was already gone out of menu. So we ordered other dishes=Pappardelle Pasta, Gnocchi, Chorizo Meatball, and Mac & Cheese. However, all dishes except Mac & Cheese are enormously so salty that we could not keep eating. We both faced each other how salty those dishes are. I liked the restaurant before, but I don't think I will visit again for those dishes. It was not worth what we paid for. I still like ambiance though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!Foodie4lifeDined on 6/6/2014Food was diverse, interesting, and full of flavor. Loved the many tasting opportunities that the menu provided!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Not Great.RichardVIPDined on 5/28/2014The Bar is vibrant and loud. The noise from the bar spills over into the restaurant. The food is okay.Special Features:
- The following 440 reviews are from the Vertical Wine Bistro reviews archive.
- Poor ambienceFunWithFoodDined on 5/16/2014We used to love this place. We went twice before and had a lovely dinner with tasteful ambience where we could have a conversation. We just brought my parents there during their visit and the atmosphere was horrible this time. Loud booming music like a club so we had to shout through dinner to hear each other. I don't know if management has changed, but this change has turned us off. Even though the food is good and they have nice wines we may not go back there any more.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/25/2014I love this place- I keep coming back because the food is great and the atmosphere is what I prefer too. Oh and great wine choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wine Bar & BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014The cheese & charcuterie were amazing, as well as the short ribs. Our waitress was wonderful. The kitchen must have messed up on something because one hour lapsed between our appetizers (when they cleared them away) and entrees. However, our waitress was so apologetic, and brought my husband a beer and a glass of wine for me, to make up for the delay. We would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great as alwaysUp2snufDined on 4/13/2014We went for the Sunday night Lobster dinner special and it was wonderful as always and a real bargain.Special Features:
- Good service ok foodFlauraVIPDined on 4/11/2014Too bad that the food does not match the service here. Our very attentive server kept our drinks coming and offered to take back our oysters. They had not been properly chucked. We declined and cut the oyster from the shell ourselves. (No biggie we thought.) The only highlight was the fried calamari. Everything else was no worth the price tag. My chicken breast was not very exciting and the veggies that came with it were over cooked. The fries that came with the shrimp roll were just about cold. We probably would should have sent everything back. But who wants to spend their whole complaining about their food? They have a very simple menu, everything should be on point. This is more of a sit at the bar and snack kind of place.Special Features:
- Go there. It is great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/1/2014You will not be disappointed. I can't say enough good things about their friendliness, service, and extremely high quality food. Went there for my wife's birthday, and was so glad that it was the place I chose. Do it. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All the food was delicious,robinVIPDined on 3/28/2014All the food was delicious, with generous portions. Service was really good.Special Features:
- Fit for FoodiesFoodieFabulousDined on 3/19/2014Absolutely enjoyed my first dining experience at this restaurant. Great food, drinks and ambiance. Our server was fabulous. He had great recommendations and very attentive. We ordered tapas and every selection was amazing. The drinks did not disappoint either. We ordered their house specialty drinks. I recommend the Champagne with St. Germaine and Mint leaves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerkimmersDined on 3/13/2014Felt the entrees were too pricey e.g., chicken breast for $24 We ordered hambergers which 2 of y friends were overcooked. The hamberger was ok but not as good as I expected. The wait staff had no one to serve but us so I guess that's why they stood in the corner and stared at us. Good place for happy hour - not dinnerSpecial Features:
- Great EveningaerobickidDined on 3/8/2014We had a wonderful evening at the restaurant. Always a wonderful place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealUp2snufDined on 3/7/2014We have eaten here several times in the past and they have all been excellent. Last night my husband order the middle easter lamb dish and said it was one of the most memorable meals of his life. We are foodies and have tried most of the LA area top restaurants so this was high praise. I tried the burger and it was excellent. The have a fantastic wine list and the service is great.Special Features:
- Great Wine BarOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2014This restaurant is more like a great wine bar with good food. If you like small plates to nibble food along with having great wine with it, this is for you. They also have dinner plates. The portions are not your American portions, where the plate is brimming with food. The portions are good for 2 people to share several plates. Restaurant ambiance is nice for a first date, or a date night with your significant other; also, a good place for friends to meet at. If you're looking for a place that has hot wings, potato skins, and nachos, this is not that place. It's more of a sophisticated bar to graduate your taste buds to and discover different food items. I will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date spotSachinDined on 2/25/2014great place to take your significant other... excellent wine list and food options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vertical wine bistroFoodieDined on 2/15/2014I chose this restaurant as the pre-theatre show eatery. It has the most delicious food, friendly staff and wonderful ambience. The only downside was that one of our party's food was undercooked and she had to return it and even though we made it very clear that we had to be out by a certain time we did not get our desserts and my friend never got her dinner - and we were late to the play Soooooooo that was really all about bad timing on the restaurant's side. Although that was definitely a downer - I would still go back because apart from timing, everything else was delicious and it isn't the kind of restaurant you go to on a time crunch, it should be savored.Special Features:
- Our waiter, Keith, was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Our waiter, Keith, was very knowledgeable and friendly. The food was excellent and the wine paired with it was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love did hear it was a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014love did hear it was a wonderful experience for valentines day with my girlfriend and Dave gave us great service thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.