530 Bryant Street
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.veroristorante.com/
- Phone: (650) 325-8376
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Gabriele Lastaria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Vero can accommodate private parties on the patio for up to 40 people, and in the main dining room for up to 60 people.
- Private Party Contact: Massimo 6503258376
A word from Vero
A True Southern Italian experience. We have created the right mix of food, service, and ambiance to give you the best possible experience in the "Vero" Italian tradition. We believe in the Slow Food movement, and not rushing our guests, so come in, relax, and take your time savoring our dishes, and sharing in our passion for Italy, its culture, and its food.Continued
For that special occasion, have Chef Gabriele prepare a customized food and wine dinner.
For that special occasion, have Chef Gabriele prepare a customized food and wine dinner.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Vero reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (24)romantic (19)special occasion (16)notable wine list (11)good for groups (8)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Too noisyCarolynVIPDined on 11/22/2014Salad good but risotto had too much of a smoky flavor. Too much noise
- Great Italian comfort foodjohnwDined on 11/15/2014Vero serves the kind of food you'd fine in a local neighborhood trattoria in Italy itself. It's nicely done, but isn't going to knock your socks off in terms of presentation. At the same time, the price is eminently reasonable: $120 for 3 appetizers, 2 pastas, and 4 glasses of wine. Sometimes this is exactly what you want! There's a decent selection of wines by the glass, and some very nice bread. Our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable - although we had to wait a while before he appeared: I got the impression that there's not quite enough wait staff for a Saturday night, and our 8pm arrival was obviously at peak time. We'll certainly go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightjlb96Dined on 11/15/2014We went here for a nice little date night out- it is a cozy restaurant, great for good conversations. The food was good, not outstanding, but definitely very very satisfying. Nice ambience, cute and warm, and welcoming. It has a upscale restaurant service and feeling, with a small coffee house atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vero'sjjorgDined on 10/25/2014My Italian mom's 85th Birthday was delightful. We appreciate the attentiveness, suggestions, and the sweet bantering provided. I can still taste the risotto with the Pinot pairing suggestion. A wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedgoelsewhereVIPDined on 10/23/2014I relied on Open Table rating to choose restaurant in Palo Alto and do not think the restaurant merited its rating.
- Great as alwaysjillDined on 10/10/2014We have been going to Vero for years. It's been consistently good with a nice menu selection and delicious daily specials. The seafood risotto is my favorite. The owner is friendly with an attentive staff. Definite neighborhood favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful overall experiencemypovDined on 9/26/2014Good food, quiet place, no hangups, a great relaxing place with friends on a Thursday or a FridaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- previously unnoticedLividdavidVIPDined on 9/26/2014We just never saw it before. It was a very nice restaurant. Not a glitzy interior, but really good food, lots of choicer, excellent wine list, and excellent dessert. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Dinner for two on a Friday nightReynVIPDined on 9/19/2014Duck breast was surprisingly flavorful. It lacked all detectible extra fat and there was absolutely no taste of gaminess that is typical with duck. Very favorable and each bite was a delight. Explored the Italian whites (wine) menu, found that the descriptions were accurate, and had a really good experience there, too. Desserts, delicious. Had both the apple and chocolate based ones. Mmmm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything great but the foodJSMarleyVIPDined on 9/5/2014Wonderful staff and pretty place, with a fine outdoor area, in spite of the loud construction noise. Unfortunately it's the only place in my life I've found a dish so bad I could not eat it. Not one to complain, I didn't send back, so can't say if they would have made accommodations, but when I explained that the risotto was so fishy I could not eat it as they were clearing plates, they didn't offer anything, even though we lingered over coffee. I wish I had a better experience, but don't plan on going back again, given so many good choices in Palo Alto.
- SuperbBickyDined on 8/27/2014Vero is a delightful gem in the heart of Palo Alto . Friendly staff and great service. The funny thing is that it is both kid friendly and yet intimate for a romantic meal. A perfect place to host a family get together. The menu is simple and nothing pretentious . My friends and Ai love the restaurant and would strongly recommend it. The wine list is wonderful without being overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really enjoy this restaurantJellyBeanVIPDined on 8/27/2014This is the second time that I've scheduled a business lunch at Vero, and both times had a great experience. I can't wait to come back during an evening for a romantic dinner and have some vino. The food, service, and ambiance are great and it's very relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightModernWomanDined on 8/25/2014I had researched many restaurants in the area and narrowed it down to Vero. I wanted a quiet, cute restaurant with inventive dishes and a nice wine list to choose from and that is exactly what I got! Though the server was a little slow to cater and warm up to my date and me, I presume because they thought we were not serious customers the dining experience was fabulous. The crowd that was there when we went was a little older but it could have been just the night we visited. We enjoyed the honest input of the waiter when it came to picking out dessert and food. Overall a great experience but not a place to go on a budget! My date said it was the best date anyone has ever taken him on :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!TetnRobDined on 8/15/2014It was our first time at Vero and we were not disappointed. The starters and entree's were amazing. I went with my husband and both of us absolutely loved everything served up on our plates! Great food, along with cheerful, friendly staff made for a really wonderful evening. We politely declined what looked to be delicious desserts to allow our previous two courses to digest(the portion sizes were perfect but I can't do 3 courses in one sitting!!) and instead we sipped the last of our excellent wine. We will be back!Special Features:
- A Find!TataDined on 8/15/2014Living in Italy and frequent trips always have me looking for a good Italian restaurant. I found it in Vero!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little Italian placeAnneDined on 8/9/2014Love Vero! We have been there a number of times and always enjoy dinner at this small, downtown restaurant. The food is wonderful, fresh, and creative, the service always friendly and the atmosphere lovely. It is small enough to be intimate but large enough you can get a table on most weekends. Definitely one of our favorite Palo Alto dinner spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite Italian restaurant!CultJamVIPDined on 8/8/2014A friend took me here for lunch and I was hooked. Brought my husband and son here for dinner and we agreed it was our new favorite Italian restaurant. Veal was excellent, and risotto was delicious also. I love their tagliatelle with meat sauce so much, we ordered one of those on the side!Special Features:
- Terrific Italian in Palo AltoOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/6/2014Head server Brian made my birthday celebratory dinner very very special - he has a wonderful sense of service and the food was delicious!Special Features:
- The following 314 reviews are from the Vero reviews archive.
- A great lunch outside on a warm dayOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/25/2014Food was not your usual Italian pasta and sauce. A great find.Special Features:
- Love this placeRmainzVIPDined on 7/12/2014ANOTHER GREAT MEAL....!!...... The staff totally customized our meal after talking to us and nailed it!!! Service was spectacular to match the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your moneyDinnermavenDined on 7/5/2014Uncooked food and they knew it, oversalted and burnt food.
- A wonderful, comfortable, placeLocalVIPDined on 7/2/2014Vero ranks up with the local restaurants that are hard to get in to, yet is much more relaxed. You don't need to think ahead as much, but you'll still get lovely foodSpecial Features:
- Excellent Food & ServiceJellyBeanVIPDined on 7/1/2014Exactly what was needed for a great business lunch. Will be back some time soon for a nice personal lunch & dinner.Special Features:
- Service with a smileLeezDined on 6/20/2014Vero has excellent food, wine, and service and we enjoyed ourselves. We felt pampered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Return VisitoftenouttastingVIPDined on 6/20/2014Owner and wait staff very friendly and helpful. Shrimp appertizer had 4 shrimp in a spicy sauce. Very expensive for what was servied. The local red wine by the glass was very good. Good neigbhood place serving Italian food. Just not outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful mealwogger85VIPDined on 6/17/2014Probably our last dinner at Vero before moving back to the East Coast and we are incredibly sad to leave this Palo Alto gem behind. By far the best homemade pastas you'll find in the area. Daily rissotto specials are often to die for and the spicy bucatini is a regular special you can sometimes order off the menu. Secondi courses are average, but if you're hungry add a couple of there awesome antipasti, like burrata and toast points. We typically get the same server who now knows our name and can guess what we want to order, plus the staff is always happy to open up your favorite bottle of wine from home (top tip: for groups of four or more, plan to bring a bottle and buy one off the wine list and they waive corkage).Special Features:
- Disappointed...SusanDined on 6/17/2014This was our 4th time dining here and something wasn't right this time. They were very late in taking our order and the food presentation was quite missing. The lobster ravioli was swimming in too much cream sauce. Sad to say this.
- Great food Outstanding ServiceLLHRDined on 6/17/2014Burata, Sandabs, Steak were all outstanding. Very attentive service
- 2nd time backSusanDined on 6/4/2014We really enjoy Vero. The food and hospitality are both excellent and consistent! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood find!sushisnobVIPDined on 5/30/2014Food was expectantly pleasant, and the service was commendably outstanding. My dinner partner had a sore throat and couldn't really stomach her appetizer; the main server promptly swapped it out for something more soothing and we weren't charged for the first appetizer. Interior use of lights juxtaposed on fabric and wooden beams gave the place a quiet and romantic feel.Special Features:
- PhilOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/22/2014We really enjoyed dinner recently. The food was excellent. The service was first class. Will definitely return in future trips to Palo Alto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2014Great food; very good waiter, thoroughly enjoyed dinner bday celebrationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner and experiencePaloAltoDinerVIPDined on 5/16/2014Had dinner on 5/16/14. Was served by the owner, which was very lucky for us as he was super attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. We had an excellent Super Tuscan bottle of wine. Dinner was the Gamberoni - spicy prawns which were very good; spinach salad -this was a bit uninspired, but healthy, though I would not order it again; and lastly we had the Tagilatelle Al Sugo - this was incredible- braised beef in a slightly spicy red sauce with pasta. We shared a dessert, the Salame do Cioccolato- very rich fudge-like rounds with vanilla gelato- decadent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for authentic ItalianJB15Dined on 5/2/2014This place had great authentic Italian cuisine. They freshly make all their pasta and you can really taste the difference.Special Features:
- Very disappointingdiningoutfanDined on 5/1/2014Mediocre arugula salad with a couple of almost wilted and very thin red onion slices - tasted like the whole salad had been pre plated and was sitting in the refrigerator too long and there was no dressing; the sauce for the garlic shrimp starter had an off-putting taste; the bucattini pasta was good, the sauce had heat but lacked depth of flavor and there was way too much of it. The warm bread was the most redeeming item in an otherwise unimpressive meal. Very close and convenient location but won't bother coming back.
- Always a special dinner experienceSunnyDined on 4/26/2014We've been coming to Vero for years - it's perhaps our favorite place downtown Palo Alto. Tasty and fresh food, warm personal service, twinkly lights that create a casual but romantic setting...Special Features:
- another great meal at Verolove2eatoutDined on 4/26/2014We love coming to this gem of a restaurant! It has spoiled us so much that we rarely think other Italian restaurants compare. The owner is warm and always happy to see us! The wait staff is friendly and eager to please. The food was wonderful! We had the calamari and seafood salad for starters along with an arugula salad that was perfect! Two of us had the salmon that was fresh and perfectly cooked. One of the party had a shrimp risotto that was amazing. If you like Italian food, you've got to try Vero!Special Features:
- Nice, but not memorableMarcSDined on 4/18/2014We had a very nice early evening Friday night dinner here. There were a number of specials - everything was well prepared, the waitstaff was friendly, and I'd definitely go back. We enjoyed our dinner. However, it was not distinctive enough or sufficiently noteworthy that we'd effusively tell our friends about Vero. A nice, simple Italian dinner, executed well. Lacking the flavour bursts or "je ne sais quo" of our favourite local Italian joint. This is a solid Top 5 Italian pick for South BaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small restaurant in Palo AltoBrianVIPDined on 4/15/2014There is nothing fancy about Vero. A small format, closely placed tables, one page menu and a short wine list. All of the food is extremely fresh and well prepared. Wonderful cheese, meats, salads, pastas. And the desserts are very good as well. Our server Brian was one of the best we've seen. Great with recommendations and highly attentive.Special Features:
- Connecting upboom21VIPDined on 4/4/2014Very cute restaurant in downtown Palo Alto, CA. I was meeting a business friend for dinner. Great wine selection as my friend ordered a wine from the region he is from, that being a place in Italy. Service was good and the food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.