530 Bryant Street
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.veroristorante.com/
- Phone: (650) 325-8376
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Gabriele Lastaria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Vero can accommodate private parties on the patio for up to 40 people, and in the main dining room for up to 60 people.
- Private Party Contact: Massimo 6503258376
A word from Vero
A True Southern Italian experience. We have created the right mix of food, service, and ambiance to give you the best possible experience in the "Vero" Italian tradition. We believe in the Slow Food movement, and not rushing our guests, so come in, relax, and take your time savoring our dishes, and sharing in our passion for Italy, its culture, and its food.Continued
For that special occasion, have Chef Gabriele prepare a customized food and wine dinner.
For that special occasion, have Chef Gabriele prepare a customized food and wine dinner.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Vero reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (24)romantic (19)special occasion (16)notable wine list (11)good for groups (8)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Food was excellent and theRSB1VIPDined on 5/6/2013Food was excellent and the service Outstanding. We were there a little early (6:00p) on a Monday night. Quiet enough to have a great conversation. I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun spot!SfxmasVIPDined on 5/4/2013Just off the craziness of University Ave in Palo Alto, this very pretty and comfortable restaurant serves excellent Southern Italian food with fresh ingredients. They also have an interesting, thoughtful wine list very fairly priced. We love to return - service is always outstanding, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great comfortable spot.jroseVIPDined on 4/26/2013a great comfortable spot. Charming, friendly service. Pastas are very flavorful, portions are just right, desserts are varied - something for everyoneSpecial Features:
- Excellent homestyle ItalianDine4funDined on 4/25/2013Excellent homestyle Italian food. Seasoning is really nicely balanced. Portions generous. Pasta is perfect al dente every time I have visited. Sauces remind me of eating at agriturismos in Italy. Prices very reasonable, great value. Atmosphere is calm; great place to hold a conversation.Special Features:
- Good food but poor serviceUSCTVIPDined on 4/24/2013I had the lasagna and it was very good. My friend had the spicy braised beef sugo & parmigiano and it too was very good. The cauliflower soup as a starter was a disappointment. It tasted like pureed cauliflower in water. There was no depth to it. I would go back again and give it another shot. The prices were reasonable for Palo Alto. However, the service wasn't good. We sat and sat for at least 10 minutes. I had to ask someone to get water, then ask someone for menus and then for a waiter just to order wine. Again had to flag him down to place our order. Not cool. It wasn't even busy when we arrived at 6:30. If they could improve the service it would be really good.
- Okay, But Not A Place I'll CraveBayAreaFoodieVIPDined on 4/23/2013Vero comes up ranked 3rd in Palo Alto on Open Table, behind Evvias and Tamarine. There is a BIG quality jump between Evvias and Tamarine, and an even bigger jump between Tamarine and Vero. While everyone in our group was pleased with their meal, it's not a place I'll crave to go back to. We ordered a seafood ravioli, a vegetarian ravioli, and a meat lasagna, with an eggplant starter, and salami chocolate dessert. Each main dish had a distinctive flavor, with handmade pasta, and thankfully not over-sauced. The starter was a disappointing slice of eggplant lasagna, similar to the meat lasagna, and therefore not a true starter. Also the dessert was a plate of over-baked, chocolate cookies with ice-cream. The wine list is good.Special Features:
- Good, but you have to keepRWCMikeDined on 4/19/2013Good, but you have to keep on the wait staff for things like water & bread. Pasta was excellent.
- Great neighborhood ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/13/2013We had a great dining experience at Vero on Saturday night. We were warmly greeted by the owner and were really well looked after by Brian. The food was exceptionally good. After living in France for several years, I really grew to love Branzino. The Vero version was excellent. The burrata starter was also very good. My wife got a special pasta which was also delicious. After looking for a good neighborhood Italian restaurant for so long, it was great to finally find one. We will be back.
- Food very good except forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2013Food very good except for the fish which was a bit too oily.Special Features:
- WE enjoyed the daily special,OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/6/2013WE enjoyed the daily special, cod, prepared. The waiter was also great, not over attentive but fun to have around.
- Squisito!PaloAltoDinerVIPDined on 4/4/2013The burrata was fresh and so tasty, and the spinach salad was perfection. The Alaskan cod was the special of the evening, simply prepared and highlighting the freshness with a tomato based broth The duck breast was perfectly grilled and served with roasted fingerling potatoes and Madeira sauce- not too oily or fatty. Coffee is fresh per order. The desert with crushed cookie and cocoa powder, served with ice cream, missed for us. The apple crostata was lacking in adequate. apple filling. Summary: great meal, only let down was the deserts.Special Features:
- Vero is our favorite ItaliancappyVIPDined on 3/29/2013Vero is our favorite Italian restaurant in Palo Alto. The food is consistently good and is authentic Italian. It's a small neighborhood restaurant with cozy ambiance. Great homemade pasta and great desserts. A decent selection of wines by the glass. Will definitely keep on coming back!Special Features:
- Service was slow. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/22/2013Service was slow. Food was excellent though on the salty side.
- The place for Italian in Palo AltoOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/18/2013Every dish at Vero is a treat. It is what I think of when I am in the mood for Italian food. Service is excellent and the people there are always friendly and upbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, average service.BajaSandraVIPDined on 3/15/2013The burrata cheese was delicious! Salmon fresh and perfectly cooked. Server was not very attentive - we needed more bread to go with the cheese starter and we tried to get him 3 times when he passed our table but he was oblivious. It was lunch and there were only 2 other tables in the restaurant at that time so it was not like he was busy.
- A find!!!! Tried this forOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/9/2013A find!!!! Tried this for the first time and it was great! Excellent small plates for appetizers, and the entrees did not disappoint! Veal chop done perfectly, Salmon with olives/zucchini over perfectly wilted spinach, stuffed pork chop - really a treat and will def be back!Special Features:
- The hostess absolutely madeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/23/2013The hostess absolutely made the experience. She was welcoming and efficient - a great first impression. Food was very good for the pricing and the waiters were friendly, helpful and efficient.
- The Best Italian in Palo AltoDelishVIPDined on 2/22/2013Vero is our new favorite Italian Restaurant in Palo Alto.Special Features:
- Vero always delivers.foodieandwinesnobVIPDined on 2/6/2013Very Nice restaurant. I have been here before and it is consistently very good. We had to wait a little for our food but, no big deal we weer talking and drinking wine so it was not a problem.Special Features:
- Great pasta and appetizerswogger85VIPDined on 1/28/2013Great pasta and appetizers in a comfortable spot. Prices are reasonable and importantly they allow you to bring your own wine!
- Wheee!ReynVIPDined on 1/25/2013This place continues to please me. This was my second time here. The filet of sole in broth was as good as sole gets, extremely tender. Served in a broth with veges. Good coffee afterwards. Came in with a party of four. Everyone really enjoyed food.Special Features:
- Food was delicious! MushroomOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/21/2013Food was delicious! Mushroom soup of the day was yummy but a little too much pepper on it Service was outstandingSpecial Features:
- We had a quiet lunch. ThepaprikajVIPDined on 1/3/2013We had a quiet lunch. The food was good but not memorable.
- The food is solid. The threeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/28/2012The food is solid. The three of us ordered the calamari, Tagliatelle, Lasagna, Sea Bass, sauteed spinach, and broccoli rabe. Other than the broccoli rabe being ridiculously bitter (almost inedible), everything else was prepared to perfection. We ordered the Tiramisu which was OK, not outstanding. The wine list was decent. We each ordered a glass of Italian red. The service was good until we finished our food. We stayed to chat but the staff failed to come by to refill our water. My suggestion - Go for the food, try a different dessert, and don't linger too long after you're done.Special Features:
- Great Italian Local GemLauraDined on 12/12/2012One of our favorites and best carbonara around. We love the environment, the food is always fresh and delicious, but most of all the friendly feel of a local gem.Special Features:
- I would not returnFoodieCoupleVIPDined on 12/11/2012I was not impressed. We arrived for an early reservation (6:30) and there were only a few people in the restaurant. We were sat and given menus. By the time someone checked on us, four groups had been sat, given water and bread. We remained with just a menu. We received our water just after giving our order. We ordered the salmon which, even though I asked for it medium rare, was over cooked. We also ordered the Tagliatelle Al Sugo (spicy beef) which was good but not great. We received our bread with our dinner. Looking around at other tables, they had water, bread and appetizers long before we even ordered.
- Great Food and Wine. StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Great Food and Wine. Staff was very helpful in recommending food and wine pairing. Reasonably priced for the amount of food provided. It feels like you are having dinner with friends and are treated as such by the staff.Special Features:
- This restaurant has neverLindaVIPDined on 12/8/2012This restaurant has never let me down. We discovered this hidden gem after we moved back from Hawaii and they had the most delicious Lilikoi/Passion Fruit Panna Cotta. The entrees are beautifully presented and delicious, and the waitstaff is personable and attentive. We bring friends to this restaurant all the time.Special Features:
- Fantastic Italian food. ThereOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/16/2012Fantastic Italian food. There are many mediocre italian restaurants and very few great ones. The food here is great.Special Features:
- Consistently excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2012We have found service and food to be both consistently excellent. The staff is very professional, yet personable. The food is incredible. We've eaten here 3 or 4 times now, and it's a favorite.Special Features:
- My fish meal was excellent;DickVIPDined on 10/27/2012My fish meal was excellent; my wife's steak less successful [burnt tasting outside]. We enjoyed the quiet until a party of six was seated next to us. We'll try it again.Special Features:
- Food was delicious. It wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2012Food was delicious. It was not as packed as I anticipated when I made the Wednesday night reservation, but it was Wednesday night. The service was a bit slow for my taste, but it could be because of the atmosphere of the place. Vero wants you to have good conversations with your party and we definitely did have that. The food, again, was delicious. I ordered the Bistecca (not very Italian, but still yummy).Special Features:
- Very good, life-affirmingDiner2Dined on 10/12/2012Very good, life-affirming Italian food handsome charming waiterSpecial Features:
- This is not our first timeLindaVIPDined on 10/12/2012This is not our first time at this restaurant but I have to say every first has been wonderful. The waitstaff is attentive. I love the open kitchen feel. We enjoyed a bottle of champagne in the outdoor patio and had a wonderful meal inside. A great place!! I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Very disappointing...serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2012Very disappointing...service was bad and slow, not authentic Italian at all. The burrata and eggplant parmesan was very good. The clams vongole lackluster, poor quality clams. The mussels and shrimp appetizer were poor quality shellfish.
- The food was delicious, butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2012The food was delicious, but the service was very very slow! It took 30 minutes to get the first glasses of water to the table. And it wasn't a busy evening - the restaurant was half empty. The staff was friendly.
- This is now my fourth timeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2012This is now my fourth time at Vero. For Italian it is much better than Osteria and the service is great. Brian has been our server everytime and he knows how to take care of his customers. My first time in . I came with my friend and her two kids. He knew exactly what to To do to get the kids their food first and ordered ... I highly recommend this restaurant if you want a neighborhood spot with great food.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our meal very much !OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/10/2012The service was very good and the noise level low, possibly partly because it was Monday evening and the restaurant was not very busy (this was our first visit). The food was very good, we had the gnocchis and risotto. Both were very flavorfull and well done.Special Features:
- One of our best meals yetCaliforniaVisitorVIPDined on 9/5/2012One of our best meals yet at Vero -- we've been coming here for several years and Vero's ambiance, food, and service are always a pleasure. We get great recommendations for food and wine from the attentive waitstaff who are interesting and fun without being overbearing or intrusive.Special Features:
- I love Vero'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2012Great, authentic Italian cooking in an intimate, understated environment.Special Features: